Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A noob writes

Discussion in 'Necromancer' started by EuroJamie, Mar 31, 2004.

1. EuroJamie

EuroJamie IncGamers Member

A noob writes

Hi all,

I'm new to the forums, though I've been lurking around for a month or so, but have finally got around to signing up, so I thought I'd drop y'all a line and introduce myself.

I'm fairly new to D2X, having only started playing a couple of months ago, and have just recently started playing on ladder. Unfortunately I'm Europe (as you might guess from my handle!), so I can't take advantage of the items fund you guys have set up. Plus I kinda like tracking stuff down myself (I love the buzz of finding new gear!).

I had a question I wondered if anyone had any thoughts on - what is the best build for a MFing Necro? I'm currently working on a skelemancer that's pretty much identical to the fishymancer build (l42 and climbing), and my intention is to build him up as a MFing character, so that I can use him to twink any other guys I create. I see from the build notes that this guy should work really well as a MFer, and I've heard that skelemancers in general are good for this kind of stuff. However, I wondered if there is any specific tweaking I can do to my build to make the ultimate MFing Necro. Currently he looks like this (everything is approximate as I'm not on my own PC):

P&B:
    Teeth: 1
    CE: 1

Curses:
    AD: 2
    DV: 1
    Weaken: 1
    Terror: 1
    Decrepify: 1

Summoning:
    RS: 20
    SMastery: 10
    SMage: 1
    GM: 1
    CG: 1
    BG: 1
    IG: 1

Gear:
    Sigon's Guard
    Infernal Torch
    Infernal Buckle
    Lore Helm
    Rare Gauntlets with 25% MF & other Mods
    25% MF Boots
    Plated Armour
    Tinfoil Armour of the Pansy (or something like that)
    2 rings and an amulet with pathetic MF mods on them

* Currently maxing out SMastery, after which I'll probably do same for CE.
    * Currently up to Act 1 NM
    * Merc is Normal Act 2 Offensive (will upgrade to NM Might Merc when it's available)

I know, I know, my gear is all rubbish. But I've heard that good MFing doesn't really start until you get to NM Mephisto and upwards, by which time I'm hoping to have the runes to build Rhyme and Wealth.

I'm currently loving the build (just watched by skeletal droogies slap Normal Baal around while I picked the fluff out my belly-button), but if you guys can give me any ideas on how to turn him into the ultimate MFer, I'd be much obliged. If this info already exists in the forum then I'm real sorry (I did read the stickies - honest!!!).

Glad to meet you all,

Jamie

2. EuroJamie

Oh dear, have just posted this, only to discover the post just before mine is a v similar question. However, before I'm flamed:

I'm asking how to tweak a Skelemancer specifically so that it can be used for MFing - are there any variations on the build, that will be of use.

I only hope this distinction saves me from the wrath of the good and greta of the Necro forum :hanky:

3. Peacrusher

Peacrusher IncGamers Member

Welcome,

I use my summoner heavily for Mfing in hell. It looks like your build is pretty good. keep goin with your plan.

I might suggest that you max mages as well and don't put more than 1 pt in revives. after that I'd suggest maxing CE like you plan and then adding a few more points to DV and Decrep. DV is very helpfule in dealing with gloams later and Decrep will increase it's duration. of course you can just recast easy enuf. I did put about 8 points in amp for mor radius so I don't have to cast as ofter as my mob travels but that's just me....

Mfing is very easy with the summoner. Just remember that summoning with as many +skills as you can get will Buff your skellies and when you switch off the +skill items your remaining skellies will stay at their summoned lvl.

IE. I prebuff my skellies at lvl 34 This places their damage around the 500 area. I then can swap my maras for a 33% ammy and I carry a gull on weapon switch. When baal or meph is about dead I switch weapons and ammy and hopefully something good drops from my increase of 133 mf...

NOTE with cold mages, and clay golem, you can use amp more on bosses like baal while your skellies and merc hack away. this speeds everything up alot.

For longest time I used a merc with a ethereal kelpie for the 75% slow, so you can imagine how slow baal was with decrep and CG cast and a merc poking him with a stick.

I believe MadMantis plays on EU, so you might be able to hook up with him sometime...

Again Welcome, and good luck

EDIT forgot to address the mf gear...
    Anything you find that increases your mf will be worth equiping, the more you play the more useful items you will find. perhaps starting with a 3 socket helm Ptopazed will give you a quick 72% boost, gull is easy 100, alibabba is nice too (especially if you ever have 2 ists), I used blue rings of fortune with 22%, and 25 % mf till I was able to get nages that had equal mf on them. And one other thing, any armor/helm you want to keep using is worth socketing and putting a Ptopaz in. my trangs armor which I never leave home without has had a ptopaz since day one.

Nice helm would be tarnhelm +1 skill and Mf too good till you get that shako :D

4. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

Welcome Newcomer to the Darkness. Grab a brew :drink: and feel free to raise some corpses.

5. HarbingersOfSkulls

HarbingersOfSkulls IncGamers Member

:lol: I don't believe your going to get flamed for your post...at least I won't.

You best bet would be a Summoner for mfing...I like my Skeletons and Mages for doing that.

HoSv1

6. Mad Mantis

Mad Mantis D2/3 Necromancer & Witch Doctor Moderator

We could always flame you HoS. All that alcohol means instant blaze! Have one on me. :drink: :buddies:

7. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

With a decent amount of skelies, you'll be safe, so it would be fairly easy to just wear a 4 topaz armor 3 tpoaz helm and mf on a ring or two, plus any uniques you can find

8. gvandale

gvandale IncGamers Member

To much alcohol can give my butt +20 Blaze.
    :yep:

Eurojamie:
    Your plan looks solid. Follow what PEA said pretty much. My original 1.10 char was a summoner. His points were jacked. His stats were jacked. He wore a gull dagger / 4 topaz armor / 3 topaz helm / rhyme necro shield / goldwrap / tancreds boots+ammy / chancies / 2x nagels. He cast his skells with a +1 armor / +3 summon helm / +3 summon ammy / arm of king / +3 head.

Max Warrior / Mastery / Mage
    1 Clay Golem / Mastery / Summon Res
    Max CE
    1 amp / weaken / terror / decrep / dv / confuse / attract

I disagree with PEA on the timing of skills. I'd say max skel's / mastery / ce / mages. Break from skel's to put 1 into all other skills as they become available and mastery as well.

fluffy g
    :yep:

9. HarbingersOfSkulls

Between the coffee and the hard stuff...I don't see myself burning(except in hell) from all the intake of much needed diablo caffine...and forum alcohol.

:drink: :buddies:

::goes back into his coffin::

HoSv1

10. EuroJamie

Thanks for all your help guys, particularly PeaCrusher and gvandale. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I'm "cuttin' a dash" in my swanky new homunc/shako/enigma gear! :thumbsup:

11. HarbingersOfSkulls

Looks like Fluffy won over yet another fan

You go Fluf

HoSv1