Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A noob question, is Resist Lightling a Passive or another Aura der

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by harmonixer, Jun 19, 2008.

1. harmonixer

harmonixer IncGamers Member

A noob question, is Resist Lightling a Passive or another Aura

To those who is kind enough to answer a noob's question,

I am building a zealot with
    1 pt smite,
    20 pts in Zeal,
    20 pts in Fanaticism, and
    20 pts in Holy Shield.

As you can see, this has no resistance at all. But when I read other threads,
    most people recommend Resist Lightling rather than Salvation.

Since I am going for Zeal as the main attack, I will most likely turn on Fanaticism the whole time. Since Paladin can only have one aura on at a time, so the resistance gain from Salvation will not be present when I turn on Fanaticism. However, there's someone mention Resist Lightling is passive. Is it true that the resistance gained from Resist Lightling will stay with the character no matter the Aura is active or not?

2. Rane-

Rane- IncGamers Member

Re: A noob question, is Resist Lightling a Passive or another Aura

Resist Lightning is an aura just like salvation, however it has two passive functions in addition to what it says it does.

If Resist Lightning is your active aura -> it gives you a hidden boost to max Lightning Resist equal to the amount of hard points (+skills don't count) that you've put into the skill.

If Resist lightning is not your active aura -> it gives you a hidden boost to max Lightning Resist equal to the amount of hard points (+skills don't count) that you've put into the skill divided by 2.

So the reason some guides say to put points into Resist Lightning is that when playing through the game with Fanat a level 20 resist Lightning will give you a hidden +10 to max lightning res.

3. ThomasJohnsen

ThomasJohnsen IncGamers Member

Correct!

Just wanted to add this: 2 hard points in resist lightning for +1 to max lightning res. is very expensive, unless you have nowhere to place your points (highly unlikely). You can gain an add to max res. by using for instance a Guardian Angel or a Lo socketed in an armor piece, or just leave the light res. at 75 max and use a Thundergod's Vigor or a Wisp Projector ring to handle lightning damage.
    If you are following the 1-pt smiter guide, and plan on taking ubers your points are better spent elsewhere IMHO. Redemption can be a very handy aura and so can Conviction (especially against Mephisto). Even Sanctuary can be great in certain places, and Cleansing to get rid of curses quicker is very usefull too. Vigor to run faster is another option.

Just my 2 cents.

4. harmonixer

harmonixer IncGamers Member

Thanks guys, now I know. But ThomasJohnsen does make a valid point. 2 points in Max Resist is a bit too expensive for skill points. Thanks for you guys' answer.