A Newbie's take on the frost zealot

dirkdig

Diabloii.Net Member
A Newbie's take on the frost zealot

Actually, I'm not a newbie. Some of you may vaguely remember my barb, but most probably not, since I've never really played 1.09, and never made a paladin that got past 75 before.

I just recently restarted, and as I knew very little about 1.10 and had nothing to my name, I decided to create a frost zealot as was mentioned in a guide I saw here on the forums.

I followed the basic character build in terms of stat points, but ignored the items suggested, going instead for whatever I could find that seemed to work. I got to mid nightmare with the unique war sword, culwen's point; afterwards, I managed to get ahold of an atlantean througha perfect gem trade.

My setup is slightly different from the one suggested in the build, but after only a week of playing several hours a day, I have a level 76 paladin that can SOLO IN HELL (keep in mind that for all intents and purposes I am untwinked).
I got ahold of the unique legendary mallet with crushing blow and ITD, stone crusher, and that's made all the difference. I'm using that, Sigon's belt, gloves, and boots; Ancient's pledge akaran targe with 85-90 resists, tal's helm, cathan's, raven frost, a few charms that amount to utter garbage.

I've not yet seen a single other person using it. Every zeal pally I encounter online uses fanaticism, and most just use the cookie cutter hammerdin it seems.

Bottom line: this build works, and it works well. I wouldn't hesitate to say, despite my utter lack of experience, that this is the best cheap Pvm build that anyone could make.
 

hikids

Diabloii.Net Member
dirkdig said:
Actually, I'm not a newbie. Some of you may vaguely remember my barb, but most probably not, since I've never really played 1.09, and never made a paladin that got past 75 before.

I just recently restarted, and as I knew very little about 1.10 and had nothing to my name, I decided to create a frost zealot as was mentioned in a guide I saw here on the forums.

I followed the basic character build in terms of stat points, but ignored the items suggested, going instead for whatever I could find that seemed to work. I got to mid nightmare with the unique war sword, culwen's point; afterwards, I managed to get ahold of an atlantean througha perfect gem trade.

My setup is slightly different from the one suggested in the build, but after only a week of playing several hours a day, I have a level 76 paladin that can SOLO IN HELL (keep in mind that for all intents and purposes I am untwinked).
I got ahold of the unique legendary mallet with crushing blow and ITD, stone crusher, and that's made all the difference. I'm using that, Sigon's belt, gloves, and boots; Ancient's pledge akaran targe with 85-90 resists, tal's helm, cathan's, raven frost, a few charms that amount to utter garbage.

I've not yet seen a single other person using it. Every zeal pally I encounter online uses fanaticism, and most just use the cookie cutter hammerdin it seems.

Bottom line: this build works, and it works well. I wouldn't hesitate to say, despite my utter lack of experience, that this is the best cheap Pvm build that anyone could make.

what was ur build>? i am doing the same build and i am having trouble . i think i jsut put my point into the skill at the wrong time
 

dirkdig

Diabloii.Net Member
hikids said:
what was ur build>? i am doing the same build and i am having trouble . i think i jsut put my point into the skill at the wrong time
basically what the guide said, in terms of skills...
 

Davie.

Diabloii.Net Member
yep its real good for poor/newb types no offense on newb. I remember your barb btw I dueled it with my zon ~_~. You probably dont remember getting thrashed by her till you started to lag me. Mercenarys-Fury was the name
 

mewizard4321

Diabloii.Net Member
I just made a frost zealot for hardcore. I wasn't too happy with it at first but it’s an ok build.

Only problems I found were:

1) You had to be really careful about cold immune monsters or monsters that could explode.

2) The weapon speed is slow. You need a really fast weapon or else you're toast.

3) Unless you got good gear your resists are going to be really low once you reach hell.

4) The build is hard to play in an 8 player game.

To get around these obstacles I went out and got the following gear.

1) Crescent moon phaseblade
2) Gulmenia face
3) Ik boots, gloves, string of ears 15dr/13mr
4) Crafted 9% increased blocking pally ammy with +1 to skills, 12 resist and other nice mods
5) Hoz
6) Ravenfrost ring
7) Duriel's shell socketed with a ral rune for 30% fire resist

Crescent moon is really sick. I was surprised how good it was and it helped me reach a good weapon speed since its phaseblade's base weapon speed is -30. Plus the chance to cast static field and open wounds really helps get rid of those cold immune monsters. Oh yeah don't forget those wolfies. Yay for wolf charges.

Gulmenia face is good too. Crushing blow, deadly strike nuff said :)

But either way I found the build to be very weak when compared to a fanaticism zealot who can deal much more significant damage, zeal quicker and use skill points that can benefit him more in the long run.

I think the build would be really really good if you got a buddy to make a conviction pally. Then with a monsters enemy's cold resist lowered you could do some serious pulse damage from your cold aura.

Funny thing is though I don't know why the person who wrote the frost zealot guide didn't suggest adding 1 point to vengeance since you can get the synergies bonuses from cold resist aura and salvation.

I think maybe this build might be better with a maxed vengeance/holy freeze instead of maxed zeal and sacrifice. That way you could put more points into holy shield and have a nice increase in defense bonus rather then sacrifice.
 

Aerath

Diabloii.Net Member
Vengeance needs either Convinct or Fanat to really shine.

And, it won't help you get round cold immunes that easily, since you've only been boosting the cold synergy for Vengeance.

Crushing Blow (and/or Static) are the ways to get around cold immunes... you'll trigger that alot, and if you combine it with a some extra damage, you'll manage okay.

Still a pain in the rear end though =)

Most melee chars require some decent gear to effectively work through Hell, let alone in an p8 game.
 

dirkdig

Diabloii.Net Member
Davie. said:
yep its real good for poor/newb types no offense on newb. I remember your barb btw I dueled it with my zon ~_~. You probably dont remember getting thrashed by her till you started to lag me. Mercenarys-Fury was the name
I rarely got thrashed, but it's certainly possible. Desynch was the name of dueling, and it occurs on both ends of the spectrum, as you'll find out if you ever try to duel using a tweaker barb. In order to hit a zon, you gotta whirl a half screen in front of her, or you'll miss. Both zon and barb are desynched, it's just who can make a character that can better adapt that will win.
Knockback and slow made desynch 10 times worse, which is the real reason that they were cheap, not just because they knocked you back.
 
Top