A newbie's hardcore experience

CookiesnCream

Diabloii.Net Member
kurg said:
Yes, it is wise to ignore comments like, "let my merc hit you once, I just wanna test out his weapon". Or, "I'm only a lvl 12 assasin, you're lvl 50, let's duel". With appropriate gear (not to mention enchant), even a lvl 9 character can 1-hit kill players dozens of levels higher.

I've had lots of people trap tp's (in 1.09) for waypoints, but I never died to one of those traps. They would always be amazed.

The only time I loot is after I have played several games with the same person, and they prove themselves not to be grabbing, greedy, selfish type characters. I never loot to people I haven't played with at all. I figure its like an open invitation to get pk'd.
lol I just got scammed. Finally a nice sorc dropped me IK gloves. I was pretty happy since there are nice people on HC. But there are alos bad people. Yes, I fell for the annihilus small charm scam. Let's just say that the guy who scammed me had "grabit". I think you guys kno what happened. However, I didn't suspect it because I thought grabit worked only inside of town.

Kitriara

Diabloii.Net Member
Advice

Let me give you this advice:

Play around in a few games until you find another kind, decent soul who you get along with an who plays well. Before the game ends, or especially if you play with them a few times, ask if you can add them to your friends list so you have someone to play with who you can "trust."

I've met some very decent people who I really know nothing about, but who seem to be stand-up individuals like myself who want to make this community better, and we game and I trust them to help me.

It only takes a day or two of playing to meet some good people. Get a small network together and you'll smile more while playing this game =)

Also, dont let idiots get you down. Idiots are everywhere in life. The HC community is overall a great place to be, and this forum (and actually the battle.net HC forum) is a fine place to start and make some friends.

CookiesnCream

Diabloii.Net Member
Kitriara said:
Let me give you this advice:

Play around in a few games until you find another kind, decent soul who you get along with an who plays well. Before the game ends, or especially if you play with them a few times, ask if you can add them to your friends list so you have someone to play with who you can "trust."

I've met some very decent people who I really know nothing about, but who seem to be stand-up individuals like myself who want to make this community better, and we game and I trust them to help me.

It only takes a day or two of playing to meet some good people. Get a small network together and you'll smile more while playing this game =)

Also, dont let idiots get you down. Idiots are everywhere in life. The HC community is overall a great place to be, and this forum (and actually the battle.net HC forum) is a fine place to start and make some friends.
Interestingly enough, I was playing with a sorc with my new mf necro. We were basically working our way into the monastery, we made it to jail level 1. She wasn't really a big help, but she seemed to know what she was doing. But she almost died once, I wasn't watching her health bar, and she somehow blamed me for her near death because I didn't go help her. I basically told her that I didn' tmean for her to die or purposely let her walk into a pack of monsters or anything. So I went into town because I had to answer the phone. So when i came back I asked her for a tp. A while later she came into town from Dark Woods and told me to go inside. Now after learning not to go into strange or suspicious tps, I didn't go inside. I suspcected that she was holding a grudge against me so I thought it was trapped. And we weren't even doing dark woods. She waited a little while and left the game. So basically, she seemed really nice at first, but in the end, she was trying to get me in a trapped tp.

exxoizzle

Banned
a lvl 18 charger with some max dmg gc's and socketed equp with max dmg charms can own a lvl 70 sorc verrrrryyyyyyy easily...Dont fight ANYONE that hostiles you, lower level or not. I use my lld to pk ppl in softcore and my 30 sorc constantly owns lvl 60 and lower and my 18 chanrger can kill 50's quite easily...NEVER fight ppl that host you

Deci

Diabloii.Net Member
Like Kitriara already said make a few friends with who you can play and trade etc etc. However I have to admit I don't know how gaming is in UsWest or UsEast (only playing Europe myself) I play in public games 95% of my time when I level my chars and I hardly ever see pk'ers in our games, no lvl restrictions used in the games most of time (not that it would actually stop the pk'ers) but also I have a nice group of people from who I get help if required and who I met after about 6-9 hours after I started D2 again. However if a pker joins the game I usually put squelch on this person and tell rest of the team to stay in town untill the pker leaves, they always leave after 2-5 mins because they're not getting attention like their mothers never gave them when they were young. :]

With those people who make fatal tp's or trap wp's it's a load different.. some people are just idiots who enjoy to see others having the death screen while sometimes those who make fatal tp/wp are just having a bad day in escaping and don't have enough time or forget to tell wp/tp is unsafe. Personally I have done intentional unsafe tp few times to certain player because s/he was being very offensive towards new players who couldn't just "pwn" hard enough for his or her liking, shooting profanities at them etc. Just to show them it's not the best way to make friends (plus I do enjoy seeing idiots die ^_^).

Barrynor

Banned
@PhatTrumpet... not only that, but it has stirred something that might better be off sleeping...

myself) I play in public games 95% of my time when I level my chars and I hardly ever see pk'ers in our games, no lvl restrictions used in the games most of time (

ays leave after 2-5 mins because they're not getting attention like their mothers never gave them when they were young. :]

. Just to show them it's not the best way to make friends (plus I do enjoy seeing idiots die ^_^).

Lemmie see if I can find my set of humie-herbs and my ketchup somewhere.

KramMIlle

Diabloii.Net Member
Honestly, everything mentioned in the original post (minus the mindless conversation you might have with a PKer) is what makes HC better than SC. We have that many more obstacles to go through.

If you're playing in a public game, you can't let your guard down for a moment, because when you do that's when you've got guided arrows up your ***.

Tracker

Diabloii.Net Member
Dealing with PKs

I am an OLD OLD dude and I beta'd Diablo. Played a LOT of different games, built and ran quite a few PKK clans and I have learned two things of great importance concerning PKs and online gaming:

1. Without the PKs, the game would be so boring many would wind up quitting. Case in point: UO vs UO:Retarded:

In UO, it was much like LOD except you had no quick escape most of the time...which meant when you went outside, you went for bear and you KNEW you were in the woods. After a few years, some people got pissed at getting gang mugged (There is no limit to the amount of people on the ground at one time)...so they complained. Mythic in its wisdom and wanting to pacify the public created a world for people to play in where there was NO chance of non-consensual PvP. UO:Reniassance (aka UO:Retardrd) was born...and VERY quickly died. Everyone realized that it is a FAR different experiance to be mugged by some computer bits and mugged by a living person and that they actually missed looking over their shoulder.

2. On the converse side of it...PKs don't kill to get the ears...they kill to take out a REAL person behind the KB...some for the challenge and some just to grief.

Every second you spend yelling at them, whining and or crying...be it over your dead body or because they hostiled you out of a game...you feed that ego like throwing blood in a pool of sharks. You are letting them OWN you and youa re WILLINGLY doing it. They LOVE that.

Want them to leave quickly? Pay close attention to what another poster here said...IGNORE them. (text wise). It is their weakness...they can not STAND to be ignored. It drives them crazy. No matter what they say...pretend like they don't exist at all.

The second they hostile, go to town and pretend they don't exist...mute them and start talking about the game amongst one another casually if you want to really piss them off...or if not, just mute them and roll a new game. If you are mid quest and dont want to start all over again, mute them...tell everyone but one person to bail. The one person holds the game open and when the PK leaves, calls everyone back.

Now in case this came across the wrong way...I am not any good anymore...too old...and been out of D2 for FAR too long. I am not saying that I am a badass...just adding my two cents and trying to help.

Rygor

Diabloii.Net Member
It's true. Just ignore them and they will go away. It's as simple as that. Most PKs are probably little whiney kids that just spit curses and show their crybaby ways when they cant kill you. You can always tell a mature PKer cus after he/she gets you its as simple as "gg :(" then they're gone.

Want to piss them off bad? When they hostile you just go to town. Soon insults and challenges will start flowing onto the screen from the frustrated PKer. You can:

a.) ignore it until they leave
or
b.) (this get them good) just say "cry" and watch their anger build.

g3rb1l

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, tired of playing softcore, I wanted to try out hardcore. I decided to make a shapeshifting druid and leveled in act 1 for a little while and then I eventually got past Andy because a higher level sorc rushed us. However, at the beginning of Act 2, I noticed several "sewer run" games. Well to make a long story short, I did sewer runs because it was good experience, and I had a fun time playing with different people. However, on some occasions, a rude "pker" would join the game, act like we were his friends, and then he'd hostile us. Some would just enter the game, and hostile everyone. On one occasion, I think I was in a four player game, and then a lvl 32 pally joins. A lvl 32 Pally doing sewer runs? Sounded like PK to me, and guess what? He did try to pk us. But the most shocking part of this, was a lvl 12 necro in our group was his friend and it turned out that he was helping the pally find us :(. It really showed the dishonest nature of hardcore playing, I also had someone tell me about how another player filled the TP entrance with monsters and told him to go inside. Of course he died right away, the other player, who was a sorc, just wanted the loot. So basically "loot" = pk me now. And the funny thing I saw, based on my experience, and those of others I've recently read in these forums, is that pkers are mostly cowards. They kill others yet they don't want to die. They generally pick on unfair fights. Well the lvl 32 Pallyu I mentioned earlier tried to hunt us down and we all just TP into town. A player in the game got angry at the Pally, and bought his lvl 80 sorc. The lvl 80 sorc hostiled the pally and the pally just typed "lol", "you noob, you need a lvl 80 to kill a lvl 32" then I responded with "well you need a lvl 32 to kill lvl 18s" He replied "stfu". And also, how people screw with newbs. Some "free items" games are actually real, some people drop decent low lvl stuff for newbs to have. I could use some of the free stuff considering I use Arcannas staff as my primary weapon. But then there are some people who like to screw with newbs. They make fake games and some of the also have a "free items here" sign over his head. Then all of us mindlessly chase him around until he finally says "lol" or "noobs" and then he leaves the games. This made me feel pretty stupid lol. Or people who say "items in blood moor" and then they really intend to pk you. So my point is that hardcore really isn't better than softcore. I know people who say "hardcore is so much better than softcore", and that's what got me into it, but so far the aspect of hardcore has not been too promising.

please, shut the **** up. welcome to a game were pvp isn't super carbear.

g3rb1l

Diabloii.Net Member
I am an OLD OLD dude and I beta'd Diablo. Played a LOT of different games, built and ran quite a few PKK clans and I have learned two things of great importance concerning PKs and online gaming:

1. Without the PKs, the game would be so boring many would wind up quitting. Case in point: UO vs UO:Retarded:

In UO, it was much like LOD except you had no quick escape most of the time...which meant when you went outside, you went for bear and you KNEW you were in the woods. After a few years, some people got pissed at getting gang mugged (There is no limit to the amount of people on the ground at one time)...so they complained. Mythic in its wisdom and wanting to pacify the public created a world for people to play in where there was NO chance of non-consensual PvP. UO:Reniassance (aka UO:Retardrd) was born...and VERY quickly died. Everyone realized that it is a FAR different experiance to be mugged by some computer bits and mugged by a living person and that they actually missed looking over their shoulder.

2. On the converse side of it...PKs don't kill to get the ears...they kill to take out a REAL person behind the KB...some for the challenge and some just to grief.

Every second you spend yelling at them, whining and or crying...be it over your dead body or because they hostiled you out of a game...you feed that ego like throwing blood in a pool of sharks. You are letting them OWN you and youa re WILLINGLY doing it. They LOVE that.

Want them to leave quickly? Pay close attention to what another poster here said...IGNORE them. (text wise). It is their weakness...they can not STAND to be ignored. It drives them crazy. No matter what they say...pretend like they don't exist at all.

The second they hostile, go to town and pretend they don't exist...mute them and start talking about the game amongst one another casually if you want to really piss them off...or if not, just mute them and roll a new game. If you are mid quest and dont want to start all over again, mute them...tell everyone but one person to bail. The one person holds the game open and when the PK leaves, calls everyone back.

Now in case this came across the wrong way...I am not any good anymore...too old...and been out of D2 for FAR too long. I am not saying that I am a badass...just adding my two cents and trying to help.

i dont care if people ignore me, i just stay in there game that much longer while they sit in town and continue to grief.

MYK

Diablo: IncGamers Member
i dont care if people ignore me, i just stay in there game that much longer while they sit in town and continue to grief.
MYK displays hostility towards g3rb1l

Not to cause you much grief, but the correct spelling of the word you're trying to use is "grieve.":thumbsup:

g3rb1l was slain by MYK

Think verbs, not nouns.

Rygor

Diabloii.Net Member
And, that weirdo people that have nothing better to do then sit in a room for 30 minutes to an hour waiting to PK players like our friend g3rb1 here FURTHER shows why sometimes private games with friends are more fun :)

Barrynor

Banned
You know, I took 1723 ears in Diablo II Hardcore, and I rarely, if ever, insulted my quarry, unless it was obviously cheating scum which was very vocal. I never called anyone I killed a newbie. And I was not out to get the person behind the character, far from it, I was merely interested in the hunt. The hunting itself is more fun than actually getting that ear. Occasionally I glanced over the ears and looked at the names, but they were of little interest. Nor did I care if someone got an ear from me. Ignoring me was fine, I merely dove into a corner and waited untill someone forgot me, or headed to another game. Why insult when there's prey-aplenty?

People like g3rb1l, with leet-speak for name, are amusing. Most, if not all of the insulting PK's were not worth the pixxels they used for space and can't duel if their character's life depends on it. Which it did. *giggles*

Tracker

Diabloii.Net Member
And thus prime example of the differences I spoke of.

The mature PK who is tired of fighting pixels and wants to face a human opponent:

You know, I took 1723 ears in Diablo II Hardcore, and I rarely, if ever, insulted my quarry, unless it was obviously cheating scum which was very vocal. I never called anyone I killed a newbie. And I was not out to get the person behind the character, far from it, I was merely interested in the hunt. The hunting itself is more fun than actually getting that ear. Occasionally I glanced over the ears and looked at the names, but they were of little interest. Nor did I care if someone got an ear from me. Ignoring me was fine, I merely dove into a corner and waited untill someone forgot me, or headed to another game. Why insult when there's prey-aplenty?

People like g3rb1l, with leet-speak for name, are amusing. Most, if not all of the insulting PK's were not worth the pixxels they used for space and can't duel if their character's life depends on it. Which it did. *giggles*
I LOVED hunting these guys as they were always very professional and most of the time legit...just looking for the hunt. Nothing personal...just looking for a more challenging opponent. Took me a few years to learn that these are actually really good people that are just playing the game. Even made friends with quite a few and they helped me tag other PKs (like the one below).

BTW Barrynor...if you played on East HC, you probably got my ear(s) in there somewhere. Look for Vanye (Barb), Bron (Pali) or Tracker (Zon).

Note partner: To be IGNORED means no one is grieving. In fact...you are a non-entity.

So this guy would sit in a game for ever being totally ignored with no one to talk to while everyone around him is carrying on with their lives. THAT is how bad they want attention.

As I said...if the PK does not leave, mute them and create a new game with a PW. (Or leave one person to hold the game open and everyone else bail at once...this will normally cause the PK to move on to other prey.)

Master Zap

Diabloii.Net Member
Hardcore is a hoot because of Death Hanging over your shoulder to collect the weak , ill prepared and those with just plain bad luck. You just dont get that rush in SC.

On Pk's

Careful to you pkers, you never know what tricks the party can come up with :)
I keep a level 13 grushed Charger who is made for the sole purpose of turning the cards on the higher level pks that come to ruin low level games.. "oh he's only level 13 pfff .... and then Deeds your azz! uses a 60's eth sup Grandmaul full of max damage jewels that things puts on the pain!

lol look for the pally who stands around in town mostly because he doesnt want to level (keep em unsuspecting)

SonOfRah

Diabloii.Net Member
@Tracker,
As memory serves, Barry never kept the ears. Or that could be someone else I;m thinking of.

And the immature PK, who does it just to bother people because they get no respect IRL, so they try to demand it in a video game
I strongly disagree with this. Getting ears legitly is one thing. Getting alot of them legitly is an entirely different matter. There are times where baiting people via immature methods are far more effective than anything silent, and the same holds true in the reverse. Even ignoring me didn't work, as it was more common that someone would try their luck, or someone brought in a dueler/higher level in which I promptly killed.

My PKing methods were varied, and involved both verbal and silient. My thrill was both of the chase and seeing if I could kill them before they left the game.

I never counter ears (lost count after the 50th stash or so), merely if one of my pkers could fill his stash with ears I was happy. I'd then empty it and start over.

I strongly encourage people to learn how to pvp at low levels. Knowledge is one thing, experience is another. It teaches you so much about the game and HC mode its not funny. It taught me to the extent that any character I started (and throw on some twink gear to help them get to lvl 30+ asap), become a capable pker, and possibly ppker.

BtKRishana

Diabloii.Net Member
@Tracker,
As memory serves, Barry never kept the ears. Or that could be someone else I;m thinking of.

And the immature PK, who does it just to bother people because they get no respect IRL, so they try to demand it in a video game
I strongly disagree with this. Getting ears legitly is one thing. Getting alot of them legitly is an entirely different matter. There are times where baiting people via immature methods are far more effective than anything silent, and the same holds true in the reverse. Even ignoring me didn't work, as it was more common that someone would try their luck, or someone brought in a dueler/higher level in which I promptly killed.

My PKing methods were varied, and involved both verbal and silient. My thrill was both of the chase and seeing if I could kill them before they left the game.

I never counter ears (lost count after the 50th stash or so), merely if one of my pkers could fill his stash with ears I was happy. I'd then empty it and start over.

I strongly encourage people to learn how to pvp at low levels. Knowledge is one thing, experience is another. It teaches you so much about the game and HC mode its not funny. It taught me to the extent that any character I started (and throw on some twink gear to help them get to lvl 30+ asap), become a capable pker, and possibly ppker.

WTF Rah do you still play?

SonOfRah

Diabloii.Net Member
WTF Rah do you still play?
:grin:
Naw, I was just bored at like 4am in the morning so decided to let my hands hit random keys and came across diabloii.net

I might come back for a small stint, but who knows? I tend to get bored before I even reach act 2 nowdays. Made so many characters it wasn't funny.