Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A newbie is confused about what to play

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by Zdravko, May 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zdravko

Zdravko IncGamers Member

A newbie is confused about what to play

Hi!
    I am new here! Well not really new, but... A few months ago I registered here... Tried to give Diablo 2 a try, but didn't have too much success because of lack of time. Now I have some spare time.
    But... What do my eyes see? There will be Diablo 3? w00t?! It will be something terrific, something unique to this world!
    Anyway... Does anyone know when will be Diablo 3 released? What do we know about it? What hw specs are needed? I am so happy to see this "Diablo 3" in the next few years!

Now, what should I do? Start playing Diablo 2, or what? Can I just wait for Diablo 3 to be released? Any ideas?

Oops... Is this the correct forum?

2. aishilee

aishilee IncGamers Member

3. Mcwhopper

Mcwhopper IncGamers Member

Re: A newbie is confused about what to play

Just start with diablo 2. Waiting for d3 will cost you at least 5 year. That's too long ^^

4. DjSlayer

DjSlayer IncGamers Member

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for D3 so your better of playing D2 in the mean time. And knowing Blizzard they take ages to make a game even after confirmation of a release (starcraft 2 anyone?)

- D.J.

5. aishilee

StarCraft 2. I am waiting....

*You want a piece of me boy?" Marine
    *Need some Propane?" Firebat
    *Did someone page me?" Medic

*My life for Aiuir* Zealot
    *Adun torassa* Crossair
    *Power Overwhelming* Archon

*Haaaa.Haaheeee.Haa* Mutalisk
    *eeekeeekeee.* Zergling
    *Muraaaaaazzcchhh* Ultralisk

6. Mcwhopper

Ze fire bat's are in? I thought I heared they were out.

7. aishilee

orh those were from StarCraft 1 hehe =x

8. Mcwhopper

Ah I hoped they were in again based on your post :)

9. Zdravko

Zdravko IncGamers Member

I will have a look at the d3 news... Somehow disappointed... :(

So, let's start playing d2. What do I need to get started?

10. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

well you need to decide on a character. Will you be playing solo or in a group? If in a group then this thread is helpful.

If by yourself you have several options for a starting character.

Fishymancer
    Excellent MF area runner and a very safe character overall. Your minions do all the dirty work so if you are careful the character won't be hurt much at all. Due to not getting directly involved in combat, you have the option of piling on quite a bit of MF to this character and simply picking up the loot the monsters drop. Not so great in boss running unless you find/trade for an item with teleport charges, such as Naj's Puzzler, magical amulets and magical circlets.

Meteorb
    With both cold and fire damage, along with strategic static field use she can handle any monster group encountered. The sorceress is a bit fragile as a character, but due to having teleport at her fingertips, makes an excellent boss runner. She's the classic MFing character for those on a budget, as she can play untwinkled and pile on the MF gear and still be able to run bosses effectively.

Pure Blizzard sorceress
    Being limited to only a single damage source (cold) will make her a bit challenging to quest solo through Hell. You'll end up parking a few packs of monsters here and there. However once she's done you'll find her very useful. As with the Meteorb she makes an excellent boss runner, especially Mephisto and Pindle. She'll be a bit faster of a runner with both over the Meteorb, on average, but will be more limited in what areas she can run due to only having a single damage source.

Hammerdin
    Hammerdins have a learning curve to play, mainly in terms of being able to aim your hammers at intended targets. Once that skill is mastered, they make excellent area or boss runners as only a single monster is immune to their damage and those monsters (Wailing Beasts) don't appear in any of the main MF areas. As with the Fishymancer the Hammerdin lacks inate teleport abilities, so a piece of equipment that provides this skill is very helpful. Otherwise you're stuck with the Vigor aura and sprinting to your intended target (if boss running).

Granted you can go with other characters, but these are the most common. Personally I'd suggest the Meteorb as she starts off strong and you won't have to skip any areas or monsters while questing, as well as have the ability to MF anywhere you want once you're done.

11. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Try a Skellimancer.

It's a Necromancer that uses mostly Skeletons. It's a good build for someone just starting out, as you can pretty much beat hell using only what you find.

There's a guide for it by Nightfish in the Necromancer Forum, it's located in the sticky about guides and things.

12. Zdravko

Zdravko IncGamers Member

Wait! Wait! I don't have the game yet. What can I do to have it? And... what versions will I need? Does it run on Vista?

13. Gorny

Gorny Banned

Go buy the game of course, and yes it runs under Vista. But be warned it has compatibility issues with Windows Vista, it might run just fine for some Vista users, but more often than not, there are problems. We have a stickied thread about Vista issues and Diablo2, it's located in the Bugs and Suggestions Forum.

As for the game itself, you (I think) will have version 1.07 out of the box, someone correct me if I'm wrong here. But in any event, in order to ubgrade it to the most current 1.11 version, you will need to go online to Battle.net - you do this from ingame, and will need to select a gateway (Europe, UsEast, UsWest, etc.)

If you wish to go the SP(Single Player) route then you have the option of playing any one of several play variants, by variants I mean playing one of the several patch versions between the current (1.11) and the oldest (1.07/.08?). For SP questions, check the SP Forum and do read the stickies and SP Forum Rules before posting.

Lastly, make sure you get the game in a sealed box with the CD-Key intact, and don't download or use any third party programs, as they are usually full of trojans or keyloggers. (ATMA is a third party muleing program for SP, and is allowable)

14. Zdravko

Zdravko IncGamers Member

How much does the game cost? And where can I buy it from? I am in Karlsruhe, Germany.
    Btw, I thought I need both D2 and D2:LoD? This makes 2 cds?

15. Gorny

Gorny Banned

I'm in chicago, USA... So I have no clue as to the cost of the game in Germany.

However, I know someone who can be of help:smiley:

*Puts up a Krischan signal flare*

16. Zdravko

Zdravko IncGamers Member

Okay. I will wait for a hint.

17. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

18. Zdravko

Zdravko IncGamers Member

Ay! That's a lot for a poor student like me. I will stick to plain ol' games... that could be downloaded for free via torrents. You are explicit about the payment. There is no way to obtain that damn d2 without paying money :( Other games say nothing about money. You just go to the torrent page and download what you want. But you say: "You have to buy the game!". No way! I'd better start saving money for a new machine that will be able to run the upcoming d3.

19. Mursilis

Mursilis IncGamers Member

I'm hoping those torrents you are downloading aren't from games available in stores. If so then you are supporting software piracy, since you aren't paying for the software. I realize some countries could care less about such an issue, India for example, I don't know what Germany's stance is on this issue. You might want to check that out to make sure what you are doing is actually legal.

20. Zdravko

Zdravko IncGamers Member

Oops. That is right. I do something illegal. I will soon delete the torrent I just downloaded. I apologize. Now, can anyone suggest me what to play? It must be free!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.