A new tournament: "Make no bones about it"

TheReadMenace

Diabloii.Net Member
OK, I finally gave in and started a necro. Now introducing Spineless_Toxin, who'll start out as a DV/Poisoner Bownecro. I've only run as far as the Cold Plains WP and cleared the Den of Evil once. But I have found my first cSapphire and socketed a 3soc Hunters Bow. Also purchased a 1soc dagger; will socket it with my next cSapphire so I can jab away with PD until other poison skills are available.

Have to admit this will be a slow character for me; lots going on right now. But I'll keep at it! :laugh:

Code:
[SIZE="2"][B][U]Make no bones about it[/U][/B][/SIZE]
Forum Name    Character Name    Level     Waypoint/Location    Best Drop            Version

sveinbjorn      Elric             14          Black Marsh      Yellow Gloves
Bali            DrGuillotin       10          Stony Field      Eth Rare Short Sword     
TheReadMenace   Spineless_Toxin    6          Cold Plains      Chipped Sapphire
1.11 RWM/RRM

Bali

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
Make no bones about it
Forum Name    Character Name    Level     Waypoint/Location    Best Drop            Version

Bali            DrGuillotin       12          Stony Field      Eth Rare Short Sword     
Didn't play much during holidays...and I did not find anything worthly. I will try to reach andy next year...or maybe this year, if I have time.

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
Make no bones about it

Bali            DrGuillotin       12          Stony Field      Eth Rare Short Sword     
Merlin          Bonophobic         6          Cold Plains      Rare Buckler
A new year, heck, lets start in my tourney. Meet Bonophobic, a really pathetic man, because he is not only allergic to bones, but also to U2. Luckily enough, he won't encounter them anytime soon. Unluckily enough, he will encounter bones... and lots of them as well.
He managed to shop both a cold damage dagger and a cold damage short bow (in lieu of the sapphire drop, I have a 3os hunters bow in the stash). Corpsefire was nice enough to drop a topaz. Somebody dropped a rare buckler with 15% FBR and 10 % increased chance to Block, as well as attacker takes damage of 1. And some other crap (+1 mana, PR 5). Still, nice enough mods.

EDIT : Forgot to mention the build. He will be a daggermancer, which means :
All three poison skills maxed, some points in the clay golem and golem mastery, and some points in DV (5 or so). Other curses at 1.

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
Make no bones about it

Merlin          Bonophobic         13          Stony Field      Rare Dagger
Just one waypoint more, but it means a lot of XP. Well, what happened? First a chipped sapphire dropped. I shopped a bit at Gheed for a 3os longbow, and immediately socketed it with the sapphire and a chipped emmy I alreadyhad. I figured I would add another emerald once it dropped... which it did in the crypt.
Bonebreaker dropped a nice rare dagger, the Brimstone Scalpel, which has a +1 cold damage on it, along with some other (rather crappy mods). Still, the more mods the merrier I say :p
Only 3 charms dropped so far, 2 SC with +1 dex, 1 GC with some +gold. All sold. Already 7! Chipped topazzes, I now wear a 3os topazzed ringmail and 2 topazzed skull cap. Gambled some +12 MF gloves, which makes my total mf for now 57. I am checking for a 3os ring mail for the merc.
The gumby makes the build fairly safe. I shopped a cold merc with a sharp hunters bow of frost in her hands, she fits the RP idea, allthough a Fire rogue would have been better I guess (with the cold damage bow of course).
My own bow is fastly superior to the dagger, even with PD (at 4) employed. I still use the dagger most of the time, simply to get used to it. I find his attack pretty slow, even with a Very fast weapon. That worries me a bit.

I accidently landed two melee hits on two different skellies. I withdrew immediately of course once that happened, but those are booboos. Sorry :smiley:

I have to say PD is fun. it's really nice to say those shaman drop behind me after i stabbed them once. It is the ultimate assassin skill, and it's assigned to.. .a necromancer? Shame! But fun for my little boney boy.

Two more things to note: No skulls dropped yet. But what did my first preserved head (it was a blue one) have for skill mods? +3 to skeleton. Can you believe that! That's giving me mixed signals for sure :p

sveinbjorn

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
Make no bones about it

sveinbjorn      Elric             22          Far Oasis        Tal Rune
Merlin          Bonophobic        13          Stony Field      Rare Dagger
Played a little bit more yesterday and today. Andariel went down pretty easy, but I went down to players 1 before I went after her. Radament was a pain on players 8- I had a "near death" experience and TP'd to town just in time. I made extensive use of CE in the Halls of the Dead and got the cube. I'm off to the maggot lair. It should be fairly easy with CE. I will have a time washing all the bug guts out of my cool red pants!! :smiley: Not very good luck with drops, still. Best so far was a Tal rune which made a beaucoup poison bow.

Svein

Bali

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
Make no bones about it
Forum Name    Character Name    Level     Waypoint/Location    Best Drop            

Bali            DrGuillotin       14          Dark Woods      Ceglaw Shield     
Just got one WP, but 2 lvls. Nothing interesting dropped except a ceglaw shield from the big EStrong/EFast guy (can't remember his name). Next step will be Cain and I will probly rerun trist 3 times to get more XP.

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
Make no bones about it

Bali            DrGuillotin       14          Dark Woods       Ceglaw Shield     
Tidied up the table a bit :p
Nice going Svein, Bali. But, ehm. Bali? Area reruns are only 2 allowed. Superuniques go for three. If I were you, I'd forego rerunning areas for now. With full clears, normal shoudln't pose too much of a problem.

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
Make no bones about it

Merlin          Bonophobic        15          Black Marsh      Death's Guard
Bali            DrGuillotin       14          Dark Woods       Ceglaw Shield     
Did a bit of work with the allergyboy. Not too much, since I have the sniffles, and that allready cost me one char so far :p
As you can see, I lvld.. .twice. So once again, I am listed above Bali :p
Also, very nice, a Death's guard popped out of one of the Champion Returned in Tristram. How sweet! +20 defense is very nice ni early normal, and CBF is very nice... Well, period :p I ditched my shopped sash with +10 life and +5 mana for this, and haven't regretted it so far :p
A gem shrine in the Dark woods gave me aflawed topaz. I shopped a ringmail for the merc, and was able to fill it with chippies as well. I also found a 2 socketed superior helm at Gheeds, expensive, but the added defense might just give me an edge.
I gambled a rare dirk with +1 cold, +2 max dam, +22 AR, +1 mana after each kill. I especially like that last one, PD is really sucking me dry if I use it for a few...

I also gambled +20 MF and +15 FR boots (Very nice!), so my MF is now + 20(boots)+12(gloves)+27(3os ringmail)+18(2os Skull cap)+8(ring with +10FCR and +8MF)= 85. The merc has an added 27, for a grand total of 112. Not bad for the Black Marsh, eh? :p

My first skull dropped as well, and stayed there :(

This is ridiculously long for two waypoints... I need to shorten these things in a bit :p

Bali

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice going Svein, Bali. But, ehm. Bali? Area reruns are only 2 allowed. Superuniques go for three.
Okay and areas with super uniques (in this case, griswold), my merc and/or golem will kill stuff so I can't just run to gris, kill him and run back...:scratch:

And you are definetly searching war with me :laugh:

Code:
Make no bones about it

Bali            DrGuillotin       16          Dark Woods       Ith Rune 
I killed countess, received an ITH rune, but did not found Black Marsh WP so i'm still in the dark woods. Merlin is now down me :laugh:

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member
Well Bali, don't expect a war from me, I allready hand over a white flag for surrender :p
I decided to enroll myself in the MFO toruney, and since there is a time limit on that, as well as on Skunks tourney... I have little time to work on Bonophobic here :p I will of course follow everything here most metiulously, as befits a tourney host :p
Good luck!

Serdash

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
Make no bones about it

Serdash         SneezyBones       15          Dark Wood        Topaz(From A Gem Shrine)
Well, I kinda forgot about this tournament. But due to a little reminder, I decided to start up the character and go at it.

So far progress has been slow. The worst fight thus far has been Blood Raven. After that, getting a cold rogue has made life much easier. Now I don't have to hurl javelins at every oncoming skeleton, or really, I don't have to attack anything. A 3 socket Hunter's Bow with a Chipped Sapphire, and two Chipped Ruby's has worked wonders against everything up to this point. My golem tanks well on his own, and so far Deckard Cain has been rescued.

But as for now I need some sleep. ;P

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member
Good to see more allergic blood enter the tourney, serdash :p
Love your chars name btw. Almost as great as the one from the ReadMenace.

I decided to go for a long bow with chipped emmies and one chipped sapphire, works good as well :p Have fun with it, I think it could be challenging even for an oldtimer like you once you make it to nightmare and have no army of bones to protect you :p

Serdash

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
Make no bones about it

Serdash         SneezyBones       24          Far Oasis        Umbral Disk
Well I finished up act 1 tonight and got the cube and the base of the staff.

It was really quite the interesting journey, I'm doing full clears and getting an act 2 merc has made things much more bearable. No longer do I need to charge certain monsters with PDagger to be able to cast some CE, but I can let his Chipped Sapphire Voulge do the dirty work.

I've decided to go the poison route, and I must say Poison Explosion is a greatly damaging spell along with a cheaper alternative to "bone disposal".

Doing full clears at p8 has also gotten me a few more levels than I would normally have. Access to attract is making poison explosion even MORE dangerous. Attract to a single monster that my merc is currently attacking, monster gets swarmed, monster dies, poison spews across all of the monsters. GG.

Also, running around with nearly 200% MF at level 24 is very nice. I need to beef up the MF on my amulet and rings, but that's going to be based on what I find rather than what I gamble/shop.

GG, though. I hope more people decide to jump in on this. I haven't done a tournament thing in a while.

EDIT:
Good to see more allergic blood enter the tourney, serdash :p
Love your chars name btw. Almost as great as the one from the ReadMenace.

I decided to go for a long bow with chipped emmies and one chipped sapphire, works good as well :p Have fun with it, I think it could be challenging even for an oldtimer like you once you make it to nightmare and have no army of bones to protect you :p
Psh. Army of bones? My fishy is parked in act 5 normal because I got bored with him. Nightfish makes gg guides and gg builds and such, but I find that one to be one of the more boring ones. Then again maybe I just didn't feel like building one from scratch after a HDD crash made me lose my old one. Whatever. You know how it is. ;P

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member
Wow. 200 MF? How did you get that? If a Gull dropped on you, I'd definetely list that as the best find...

EDIT : Well, I hope that others will jump in as well. I made this a tournament after several people suggested
that this might be a good idea, but so far, the response has been low. Of course, there is an overabundance of tourneys at the moment, the No Vitality one, Skunks tourney and the timed MFO tourney by Ohomemgrande really eat up D2 time otherwise possibly invested in this little tourney. So who knows? Maybe Morathi or Heskla or other early posters will join later... I hope so!

DarkStarHero

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
Make no bones about it

DarkStarHero    Ironist            1          None             None
I never play in Hardcore mode and I usually play on Bnet, but I like necro, so I will give it a try :)

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, good luck Darkstar! And welcome!

Hope you like your little stint off of the beaten path, with HC in SP.
Curious to see how things will go for you!

Serdash

Diabloii.Net Member
Wow. 200 MF? How did you get that? If a Gull dropped on you, I'd definetely list that as the best find...
Helm: Visionary Circlet of Luck(30% MF)
Armor: Gemmed Breast Plate(TopazFTopazFTopaz 42% MF)
Ring1: Fortuitous Ring of Dexterity(12% MF)
Ring2: Felicitous Ring of Dexterity(10% MF)
Gloves: Russet Heavy Gloves of Fortune(22% MF)
Boots: Strong Boots of Fortune(25% MF)

That's 141% by itself. Tack on the merc having 18% in his helm and 27% in his armor and that comes to 186% MF. Okay, just a little shy of 200%. But I'm working on my rings and amulets now.

DarkStarHero

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
Make no bones about it

DarkStarHero    Ironist           16          Inner Cloister   Unique Sword - Rixot's Keen
Enought for today, this is really fun and different of Bnet... no lag, SP FTW :thumbsup: It's hard to play untwinked, don't know really how many str or dex needed :tongue: CE cost so much mana, I have to drink a blue potion alot, because I don't want to spend point in energy. For the skill point, just spend on dim vision(1), amplify(1), Clay golem(1), golem mastery(1), teeth(1) and rest in CE. When i will max CE, i have 2 idea for the build, but can't decide for now. Iron golem for the thorn or max iron maiden...

I will keep update of me, Fiona(Cold Merc) and Claymore(clay golem)

Serdash

Diabloii.Net Member
Code:
Make no bones about it

Serdash         SneezyBones       28          Kurast Docks        Amulet of Fortune
DarkStarHero    Ironist           16          Inner Cloister   Unique Sword - Rixot's Keen

Did some more playing, but should cut it early for the night tonight since I have work tomorrow.

Cleared the rest of act 2 out and it was pretty easy going. Arcane Sanctuary was horrible because I didn't want to risk getting melee with Wraith's, so I had to lure my merc and pull him through well placed TPs to get some monsters down. For some reason the Arcane Sanctuary was also being very generous with Ith Runes, meaning I now have... Five of them.

Mercenary is toting a beatstick with a Flawed Sapphire and two flawed Rubies in it for damage, not the best, but it seems to be carrying us along well. Gambled him a 24% MF Circlet, and he also has a 3s Breast Plate with 3 Flawed Topazes in it, giving him a total of 63% MF.

Speaking of MF...

I'm at 166% MF on my necromancer, then tack on Zanarhi's total and I've got a smooth 229% MF going. Although my resists are suffering a little (35/30 cold and lightning) I think I'll be able to balance that out a bit after full clearing act 3. Oh boy. The jungles are going to take forever.

Sadly, regardless of my MF, sets and uniques just don't want to drop. Hopefully my luck will turn in the next couple of acts and I can get something that will make my life a little easier. Maybe some chance Guards. :D

Anywho.

No deeds yet. So gg.

Heskla

Diabloii.Net Member
When strafing between the succubi in WSK, I might get a bon*r, I'll get disqualified, or?

+1