A new tournament: "Make no bones about it"

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member
A new tournament: "Make no bones about it"

Introduction

An excerpt from a document received by the Grand Commander of Necromancy Nemisto, detailing a speech delivered by a as of then unknown subfaction inside
the city:

Welcome my friends. Few are we, and blessfully forgotten. Forgotten by the citydwellers, who at one time or another ostracized and cast out our forefathers. That was the start of a new life, if life can be used to qualify our excistence. We eke out a halflife, on the edge of a society itself ostracized by humanity. But where the necromancers were outcasts due to the necromantic arts they practiced, we are blameless. All our ancestors did was... to be born. For decades, nay, for almost two centuries have we been waiting for a chance to prove ourselves once again. To finally reclaim our rightful place above. But we know it is not going to happen. Our deadly allergy to those ensorcelled bones would force us away time and time again. So then what? What options are left for us? What if I tell you that, after almost twohundred years of waiting, a chance has arrived once more! A chance to right a wrong, to restore the balance, and gain the admiration of humanity at large! We have a duty to our ancestors, ourselves, and our children to seize it, my friends! Evil has broken free, and one of the three Prime Evils wanders around in the west, wreaking havoc and seeking his brothers. He must be stopped, and let us be the ones to do so. To honor! To Glory! To a new future!

The idea
As you may have guessed, a necromancer build. As you may have guessed, one with a deadly allergy to bones... With far reaching consequences to gameplay. Interested? Read on!

The rules
- HC only
- Necromancer only.
- Rerunning allowed (up to two times for areas, three times for Act Bosses or other specific superuniques)
- No twinking.
- Atma allowed as an extended stash.
- Choose any player setting you like, but no cheesy chest popping at p8 tricks!
- Any merc is allowed.

Character limitations

Skills
The following skills are forbidden for ever getting any point :
- Skeleton mastery, Skeleton, Skeleton mage in the summoning tree.
- Bone Armour, Bone Wall, Bone Prison, Bone Spear and Bone Spirit In the poison and Bone tree

- Blood Golem may only be used as a prerequisite, never summoned. 1 point max.
- Corpse Explosion MUST be fully maxed out. Why? This is a necromancer allergic to bones, this includes corpses. He must therefore do his utmost best to leave as few corpses as possible.

Gameplay
- If a merc is used, (s)he must also deliver Cold damage (so corpses can potentially shatter). The same goes for any physical damage you deliver.
- Skeletons can never be meleed by you. If a situation arises where such seems unavoidable, use curses instead to break free, or TP back. This includes the revived warriors in Act V. The merc and Golem are exempt from this restriction.

Items
- The following items cannot be equipped, in either normal, exceptional or elite form : Bone wand, Grim Wand, Bone Helm, Bone Shield.
For the shrunken heads, neither the Unraveller nor the Gargoyle head , or any of their exceptional and elite forms, can be used.

The following base items cannot be used :
- Elite Skullcap : Hydraskull
- Elite Hard Leather armor : Scarab Husk
- Elite Chainmail : Boneweave
- Elite Field Plate : Kraken Shell
- Elite Heavy Gloves : Vampirebone Gloves
- Elite Heavy Leather boots : Scarabshell boots
- Elite Chain boots : Boneweave boots
None of the elite shrunken heads can be used
- Elite dagger : Boneknife

The following Set items cannot be used :
- The infernal torch
- Tancred's Skull
- Tancred's Spine
- Natalya's Totem
- Sander's Superstition
- Trang-Oul's Guise
- Trang-Oul's Wings

The Following Unique Items cannot be used :
BoneFlame - Unique Succubus Skull
Undead Crown - Unique Crown
Wormskull - Unique Bone Helm
Boneflesh - Unique Plate Mail
Wall of the Eyeless - Unique Bone Shield
Bladebone - Unique Double Axe
Gravenspine - Bone Wand
Ume's Lament - Grim Wand

Stealskull - Unique Casque
Vampire Gaze - Unique Grim Helm
Lidless Wall - Grim Shield
Boneslayer Blade - Unique Gothic Axe
Skull Collector - Unique Rune Staff
Arm of King Leoric - Unique Tomb Wand
Blackhand Key - Unique Grave Wand

Giant Skull - Bone Visage
Leviathan (But this one shouldn't spawn anyways) - Unique Kraken Shell
Head Hunter's Glory - Unique Troll nest
Dracul's Grasp - Unique Vampirebone Gloves
Sandstorm Trek - Unique Scarabshell boots
Marrowwalk - Unique Boneweave boots
Wizardspike - Unique Bone Knife
Boneshade - Unique Lich wand
Death's Web - Unearthed Wand

Rare Items
Any armor with the word Bone or Skull in the name cannot be used. As far as weapons goes, if the word Bone and or Skull is incorporated in the name, and seems to indicate the material it's made of, it's prohibited from use. Otherwise, it's not.

(An example - A Rare sword named the Gleaming Thighbone can't be used... But a rare sword named Bonecarver can be used)

I haven't got the gusto to check magic prefixes/suffixes. The only one I can think of now is Gravedigger's this one is prohibited. Should you guys have any other suggestions, let me know.

Winning
Here is where the semi-tourney thing kicks in. I just want to make this a challenge, not a tourney per se. No deadline, no tables, no scoring, just try and see if you can complete a Guardian Necro with an allergy to bones...

Morathi

Diabloii.Net Member
Very interesting idea Merlin :thumbsup:. This looks like a perfect opportunity to make my golemancer or partly mojomancer, either one looks like it can work :smiley:.

The rules are alot simpler and easier to understand and follow compared to the bounty hunter tourney. That i thank you hahaha.

I also like the tough restriction on items, it fits perfectly with the theme. I am a little worried about not being attacked by a skeleton. That seems a bit of a task but looks like a lot of fun.

I might join this one when i am finished with my own tournament.

edit-
If a merc is used, (s)he must also deliver Cold damage (so corpses can potentially shatter). The same goes for any physical damage you deliver.
Question does that refer to cold damage of any sort? (ex, sapphire gems, jewels etc) or does the merc need to have inbuilt cold damage (cold rogues, cold wolf, holy freeze merc)??

edit edit- I think a table isn't a bad idea. To be able to see the progress made by participants, who is in the tournament and who isn't, who is the furthest, who has died etc.

Last edited:

Heskla

Diabloii.Net Member
edit edit- I think a table isn't a bad idea. To be able to see the progress made by participants, who is in the tournament and who isn't, who is the furthest, who has died etc.
Seconded.

Don't be afraid to overwhelm us with tons of tournaments!
Sounds fun.

Titan-necro someone? :evil: I'll consider...

OldSoldier

Diabloii.Net Member
Merlin, what about using poison explosion in lieu of corpse explosion? The concept is similar, and CE would actually create flying bits of bone. And you didn't mention bone armor. I suppose this is allowed?

bcoe

Diabloii.Net Member
Sounds like fun. I tried to argue with a friend once that a necro with maxed DV and maxed CE, and nothing else, would be hell-viable. I guess its time to try it and prove it. Thanks!

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member
@Morathi - Isn't it though? I thought the concept was quite hilarious... hehehe, a necromancer with a deadly allergy to bones :p
As for the cold damage on the merc, I dont care how it is delivered, as long as it is delivered. If you know what I mean. And if you wish to make a table, you can of course! I just don't want people to feel the dire rush to finish first or to try and win the tourney, since it isn't really meant to be one. Just a lark and a bit of fun during the holidays, for those interested enough :p

@Heskla - I like some participants... Already people complain about being spread too thin. And with the upcoming Skunkbelly tourney, who (justly so) imposes time restrictions, I fear that those participating won't have much time left for anything else :p

@Old Soldier - I typed Bone Shield, I meant Bone Armor. Nope, Bone Armor is not allowed. Sorry about that, gotta stick to the theme :p
As for PE ... I never really used it, but I gather it's also a form of corpse disposal? Anyhoo, Corpse Explosion would indeed create bits of bone flying around, but let's just say that those bits in themselves are not 'lethal' to our necro :p
But it sounds like you make a good point, so I guess at least one of the two should be maxed out then, as a primary means of corpse disposal. LEt's make that official
Instead of Corpse Explosion, Poison Explosion can also be used as Corpse removal. Whichever you choose, it must be maxed out.

EDIT : To all, it is perfectly fine to deal damage to skeletons from a distance, by use of a bow or something similar. Just no getting close to those walking heaps of deadly allergic reactions!

Last edited:

Butzull

Diabloii.Net Member
Very nice idea. I'm somewhat tournament overwhelmed at the moment, but may get around to this at some stage (I have time off over the festive season). :)

One thing though, you've listed they unique Boneslayer Blade as forbidden. When I read it I thought it would be fine (or even ideal for style points...except that you can't get close enough to slay bones with it :wink3:), but that kinda contravenes what you've said later about bone being ok as long as it doesn't imply "made of bone"

I'll be watching...for now! ;)

Butz. :dunce:

TheReadMenace

Diabloii.Net Member
I've played D2 for six odd years, and it's like I've had an allergy to Necromancers. I've never made a poison build, either... so this sounds like a good chance to conquer two tasks at once!

I've got three characters rolling at once now, and a fourth once the new SPFLadder starts, but this sounds difficult yet intriguing. I think I might try an attempt.

Question on how to start, though. If all attacks need cold damage, and we can't summon skellys, how are we to defeat any monsters when we first leave the Rogue Encampment? ...Am I missing something...?

Cray-zee idea. Hope you're trying it too, Merlin!

tigercan

Diabloii.Net Member
Question on how to start, though. If all attacks need cold damage, and we can't summon skellys, how are we to defeat any monsters when we first leave the Rogue Encampment? ...Am I missing something...?
Beat em over the head with yer fists you sissy!
Only the merc needs cold dmg

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member
No, he has a point Tiger. It's true that I stated if you deal physical damage, then it should have cold in it. Ok, here's the missing rule addition :
Starting gear Exempt And no, you CAN't summon the skellie... Just forget it. Use that wand for whacking, not for casting!
So use that until you get a merc which has cold damage (and, luckily enough, that is just 300/400 coins :p ) Or until you get some cold damage dealing weap. That shouldn't take too long, if you do a bit of shopping.

I might go for it as well, mr. Menace. I have just started some chars for a HC septumvirate (3 in total), but if I get to the nerc soon, I may very well combine this one with that one. Heck, I wanna melee anyways :p

Butz - Yer (might be) right. It probably reads : Bone Slayer Blade. I chose to read it as Bones Layer Blade. I grant you that your reading is both more comprehensive, and has a far better 'coolness' factor to it. Still, let's leave the list as it is. I'm pretty sure it's not a weapon high on the 'wanted' list for necro's anyways. And if it is... Too bad!

@bcoe : I am with your friend on that issue. But I wish you all the luck in the world to prove me wrong!

Last edited:

NacRuno

Diabloii.Net Site Pal
An addition to the rules that needs consideration imo:

No kicking bone chests of Act IV, either find telekinesis charges or stay away from them :tongue:

Doesn't make anything more challenging but i had this in mind while taking my fishymancer through act 4 and couldn't resist it :rolleyes: ...

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member
An addition to the rules that needs consideration imo:

No kicking bone chests of Act IV, either find telekinesis charges or stay away from them :tongue:

Doesn't make anything more challenging but i had this in mind while taking my fishymancer through act 4 and couldn't resist it :rolleyes: ...
Excellent. I second that. And I will add the act 3 skeletons in Kurast. In general, dont touch anything that has bones in it. At least, not with your bare hands that is (and no, in case some smart alleck is going to say : But I wear gloves!, not with your clothed hands either).

Gahzban

Diabloii.Net Member
Nice idea... might give it a try next year.

You didnt mention it but What about socketing with skull?

I assume its forbidden

Gahz

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member
I am guessing a quick rules recap is in order now.
Here goes:

The rules
- HC only
- Necromancer only.
- Rerunning allowed (up to two times for areas, three times for Act Bosses or other specific superuniques)
- No twinking.
- Atma allowed as an extended stash.
- Choose any player setting you like, but no cheesy chest popping at p8 tricks!
- Any merc is allowed.

Character limitations

Skills
The following skills are forbidden for ever getting any point :
- Skeleton mastery, Skeleton, Skeleton mage in the summoning tree.
- Bone Armour, Bone Wall, Bone Prison, Bone Spear and Bone Spirit In the poison and Bone tree

- Blood Golem may only be used as a prerequisite, never summoned. 1 point max.
- Either Poison Explosion or Corpse Explosion MUST be fully maxed out. Why? This is a necromancer allergic to bones, this includes corpses. He must therefore do his utmost best to leave as few corpses as possible.

Gameplay
- If a merc is used, (s)he must also deliver Cold damage (so corpses can potentially shatter). The same goes for any physical damage you deliver.

- When you start, you may use your starting gear to get some cash for a cold damage weapon. Buy one (or use a found one) as soon as possible. By using the starting gear, I don't mean by casting the skellie! Use that wand for whacking, boys and girls!

- Skeletons can never be meleed by you. If a situation arises where such seems unavoidable, use curses instead to break free, or TP back. This includes the revived warriors in Act V. The merc and Golem are exempt from this restriction.

- You can only pop Act 3 skeleton stashes and Act 4 Bone chests (and/or any other stash that looks like it is made of bones I miss) with TK, not by hand

Items
- The item restrictions hold for all items, both solid and ethereal.
- The following items cannot be equipped, in either normal, exceptional or elite form : Bone wand, Grim Wand, Bone Helm, Bone Shield.
For the shrunken heads, neither the Unraveller nor the Gargoyle head , or any of their exceptional and elite forms, can be used.

- Socket fillers - No skulls allowed. You can't very well go around carrying skulls while being allergic to bones, so leave Skull gems on the ground.
Rare jewels will be treated like rare armor (see below).

Rare Items
Any armor with the word Bone or Skull in the name cannot be used. As far as weapons goes, if the word Bone and or Skull is incorporated in the name, and seems to indicate the material it's made of, it's prohibited from use. Otherwise, it's not.

(An example - A Rare sword named the Gleaming Thighbone can't be used... But a rare sword named Bonecarver can be used)

Magic Items :
Graverobbers items aren't allowed.

EDIT : I didn't list the item restrictions lists. MAinly for ease of reading this time around. They still hold true of course.

Merlin The Wizzard

Diabloii.Net Member
Oh, I forgot to mention (two times now :( )
-RWM-RRM allowed
-I have most familiarity with 1.10-1.11b, so I'd like to keep the version there. But if you truly find the only challenge here is to finish this char in the beta build of diablo 2 without lod... be my guest.