Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A new scroll "Scroll of Wealth"

Discussion in 'Diablo 3 General Discussion' started by theeliminator, Aug 23, 2010.

1. theeliminator

theeliminator Well-Known Member

A new scroll "Scroll of Wealth"

I was just watching this interview. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDBLDPKxqEM

And Jay talks about replacing TPs with other features. At 2:21 Jay revels the existences of "scrolls of wealth" they let you sell items in your inventory from anywhere.

With all these features I am happy to say R.I.P TP

2. TheMythe

TheMythe Diablo: IncGamers Member

Re: A new scroll "Scroll of Wealth"

Well, I for one am really happy TP is always there when I need to go real bad...

*Ba Dum-tshhhhhhhhhhhhh*

3. blackbisket

blackbisket IncGamers Member

that kinda nice with that scroll and salvaging you rarely need to do to town, lol.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010
  4. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i also will miss town portals. guess i am in the minority it seems but i am willing to bet 90% of the people saying good riddance to portals do not have little kids running around that could require you to instantly stop what you are doing. personally a town portal is alot better choice than having to exit the game at least for someone in my situation

5. Moonfrost

Moonfrost IncGamers Member

I think D3 is currently using a checkpoint system, though, much like the one in Titan Quest. I imagine you start off at the last checkpoint you visited whenever you enter a new game, though I can't verify this. Checkpoints are fairly common, much more common than waypoints (which are said to be found about every 10 minutes).

6. Killafornia

Killafornia IncGamers Member

I don't like the idea of scrolls of wealth. Doesn't make since to me to have a scroll that trades your items for money any time you wish. Seems like they're really just trying to whore the game out to casuals by taking anything challenging or time consuming out. The game looks fun but I'm not sure if it's going to even have a challenge at all.

7. Valhauros

Valhauros IncGamers Member

I agree with Apocalypse and (in a certain, odd way) with TheMythe... when you absolutely need to get up from your seat (phone call, doorbell, etc.), the only way to feel safe within the game was to use a town portal, but now that they are gone, I don't think there is a turnaround measure... Sure, in single player you could always pause the game in D1&2 , but in multiplayer you didn't, so town portals were a real life saver in some situations.

I believe Town Portals, alongside other features (like the golden name of unique items) are patrimonies of the franchise's legacy, and are just way too iconic to be left out of the game.

8. Doppel

Doppel Banned

Scroll of wealth sounds like a nice idea IF it comes at a cost. (irony?)
    What i propose is when you use it to sell items you sell those items at half their actual value.

I have to agree with everyone being sad about the loss of TP's, and not because i liked their exploitability which is so darn easy to fix anyways. What i'll miss is just being able to go to town and run around a bit, stand by the campfire, talk with some people, look up recipes i forgot, etc,... relax you know. Why do i have to play like a add fanatic for 15 minutes between way/checkpoints?

9. theeliminator

@ Apocalypse, I understand your problem , but do you play online with friends with kids running around? If so, they can watch you when you go afk. If your playing with strangers then its a hard spot to be in. Guess just log out and come back when you can, with so many way points and checkpoints it wont set you back much.

Ahh it's magic it don't need to be logical.

So your telling me that because it doesn't have TP there isn't going to be a challenge? LOL are you for real? I don't know about you but TP made D2 easy. getting your butt beat by any mob BAMF! back to town. Get healed get mana back get Henchmen back, go back through TP and rinse and repeat. How was that hard? If anything no TP will make every fight harder.
    They just want to make it so you don't have to go back to town if you don't want to.

10. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Yes, that is why they are axing pot spam, leech, and TP lol-no-danger-scrolls.

11. Srikandi

Srikandi IncGamers Member

Why not just have a "pause" button in single-player? That eliminates the motivation for TPs cited above -- when you have to leave your machine for one reason or another.

Or better yet, a true world state save that doesn't depend on checkpoints :p

As for the "Scroll of Wealth", I have no idea why they are making an item of this functionality, but whatever *shrug*. This idea was I believe first introduced in Dungeon Siege, which has a transmute spell that accomplishes the same thing (at slightly less than full price); most recently, Sacred 2 just gives you a box on the inventory that you can drag stuff to to cash it in (though again, you get a little less than full price).

I don't see a lot of use for it, though, now that I know I can disassemble items in the box for crafting :)

12. Valhauros

Valhauros IncGamers Member

Diablo 1 and 2 had the pause feature in single player, and D3 will most likely have it too... the problem arises in multiplayer, when the slightest distraction might become a death, either from a mob or another player. The only safe place is the town and now it might take around 3-5 minutes to reach it via waypoints, and not having a direct route is just ridiculous.

13. Apocalypse

Apocalypse IncGamers Member

i gotta agree with you here. whats wrong with spending some time on things outside of killing? why even have a scroll to begin with? why not just give players the option to sell where ever they are whenever they want?

as for the checkpoints i hope you cant just jump into a new game and be at your last checkpoint. i really hope checkpoints are used for death spawn purposes only and waypoints are saved for new game travel

14. theeliminator

There is nothing stopping you from going back to town if you want, outside of the fact that you have to use a way-point to get there.

These features are in the game for people that don't want to go back.

Are you going to be killing mobs then stop and say "man, I want to go back to town and talk to that barkeep" most likely not. You will wait till you have killed all the mobs in the area then go back, most likely by then you would have gotten to the next way-point.

15. konfeta

konfeta IncGamers Member

Full stop. No one here knows how the scroll of wealth actually functions, so you can't make blanket generalizations about it "noobifying the game by removing need to go to town to sell items."

16. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

I have never understood the claim that the game is being easier because of the lack of TP...or even whatever this is.

I definitely understand how real life gets in the way of a mob fight even if I don't have kids of my own. In the middle of a fight (mobs, or especially a boss), a TP is still risky depending on how surrounded / close the enemy is. Multiplayer would have to S&E if it's too urgent, or otherwise flee or kill the monsters in the immediate area. Besides, if SC, one death means....zilch? HC is where S&E is needed, but I'd do it in both if I didn't have a TP. It's really not that big of a deal. D3 just has to come second, or third, or however many distractions.

17. Blerg

Blerg IncGamers Member

How bout a TP that takes 10 seconds to open and has a cooldown of 10 minutes, or something along those lines so TPs can't be spammed.

18. Sass

Sass IncGamers Member

That'd be reasonable.

19. theeliminator

That's not to bad in single player. But as soon as you add in 3 other players you have a problem. You can have one person casting a TP as others fight the mobs each player could be on a rotation so you can always have a TP ready, and your back to square one.

20. blackbisket

blackbisket IncGamers Member

True and I agree with or statement TPs can R.I.P as D3 is better off without that exploited system.

As for the new scroll it might not be their best idea but will see how it plays out.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2010