Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A new guide to trappers. Interested?

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by tl998, Feb 24, 2004.

1. tl998

tl998 Banned

A new guide to trappers. Interested?

Hello all! This past few days I've been toying around with a a trapper build that I haven't seen any other person try yet. It's a 'Safe' build by which I mean the main objective of this build is to not get killed easily. If you're swamped and have no way out, you should still have a lot of time to save and exit with this build. Perfect for hardcore (even though I don't play HC. My trapsin has never, ever died to a monster). This build is also geared for those who are poor, or only lightly-twinked, and most everybody should be able to afford the gear I recommend. In any case, would people be interestedin a guide like this? It will be the first time I'm writing a guide, so please bear with me if you see and flaws :) I welcome any and all constructive criticism. I'm in act2 hell right now, and I'm going to try to take her thru it solo for the most part. Once I finish the I will start the guide.

2. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

Indeed I would and I have no doubt that others will too.

I suppose such a build would also provide a more varied play experience than your standard max-damager.

3. tl998

tl998 Banned

Well the one and only downside to this build is the lack of dual-elemental damage. Lightling is your only source of attack pretty much, so you'll have to be strategic and coordinate attacks with your merc and your shadow who will provide secondary sources of damage to take care of IMMUNEs. the only problems I've really had are boss packs lead by a lightning/physical immune unique. If I really can't get past something I'll mind blast, and then move on. If you REALLY want to kill itI suppose you can throw a lot of weak fireblasts (mine are at like 130 damage each).

4. lextalionis

lextalionis IncGamers Member

I'm a huge fan of untweaked, guides for po people. Because as much as I talk about Diablo and know about Diablo, I don't actually have too many sojs to back it up. So, I like guides designed for people without access to the best equipment.

5. SoulTaker

SoulTaker IncGamers Member

gl dood, hope it comes out good, i think me n you were trying to make an assy bout the same time, but iv been busy lvling a merc =\
    my assy has MANY unused skill pnts, keep that guide coming dood...
    =D

6. tl998

tl998 Banned

Thanks for the support, guys :) I know what my project will be the next few days. Oh and SoulTaker, I've my assassinf or like...5 days I think? and I spent 3 and a half of those days leveling my merc :) Leveling a level 7 merc to a level 77 is a PAIN.

7. C-Beat

C-Beat IncGamers Member

all guides a rewelcome. however, there allready is a untwinked lightning trapper guide. it would be a bit of waste if yours turns out more or less the same.

C-Beat

8. SoulTaker

i sent you a pm tl998, Check It
    =D

9. tl998

tl998 Banned

I made sure to read that guide even before I thought about a guide. I looked ariund the forums, and didn't see anyone else with my build idea.

JRichard's guide is a good one, mind you (although I can't access the page about trap-laying techniques for some reason) but his build just wasn't what I was looking for at the time. My build is designed with NOT DYING in mind, and so far, with very common equipment, I have succeeded. My equipment lsit isn't completely untwinked, but it's kinda close. Trust me, you'll see when my guide is posted that it is definitely Different from Jrichard's.

10. CronicTKY

CronicTKY IncGamers Member

Problem solved; change last part of URl "page=4" to "page=5", I had same prob.

11. tl998

tl998 Banned

I'm trying ot access it fromt he Strategy Compendium, and I didn't see any page 4 or page 5 in the url there. :(

12. jrichard

jrichard IncGamers Member

try it from here: JRichard's Assassin Stuff

I'd be interested in seeing the guide. I'll defer any other comments until you post it, but will say i'm confused about the build being focused on not dying. Seeing as how i play HC, all my builds are pointed towards not dying.

jrichard

13. tl998

tl998 Banned

Well let's just say your guide is terrific, but I disagree with a few point in your guide. My stat point allocation calls for heavy investment in the shadow tree. I will be working on the guide, like i said, after I beat hell. I still haven't died yet and I hope I won't :)

14. tl998

tl998 Banned

Oh btw, I know your build is for playing untwinked, but I am interested in your personal setup. More specifically, I'm interetsed in the charms/jewelry you use. I'll share mine once the guide is written.

15. jrichard

jrichard IncGamers Member

My most recent trapsin is currently level 64 HCL. She's only wearing stuff she's found. I think the rings give fire, cold resists and mana. The ammy gives mana, poison resist and +1 assassin skills. Not anything exceptional to speak of. She's wearing smoke armor and carrying two +2 Assassin blade talons. Reast of the gear is peasant crown and rare gloves and boots that offer lightning resist. For charms, i have a lightning resist GC and two +mana GCs. some +mana small charms round it out.

She's just killed nihlathak in NM and i'll probably do the ancients later tonight. Then i'll pause to do some meph runs, cube a few GCs and gather money to gamble better rings before moving on.

One thing that makes me wonder is this: When she did anya last night the place was full of lightning immune gloams. How do you handle those? My merc wasn't gonna take care of that many LIs without my help. I guess the question that comes to my mind and the reason i'd like to see your guide is have you sacrificed too much killing power for the sake of safety? How does the build do when not soloing? What's she like in 4 or more player games without help?

jrichard

16. tl998

tl998 Banned

Lightling immunes are still killable even in late nm for me for the most part. Maybe I got a lucky roll and didn't see many LIs during NM Anya quest. MY build does rely on a strong merc to help, and I made sure that my merc stayed near my level every step of the way. However, I don't think my merc choice is the optimal choice for this build. I bought a rogue merc from normal and stuck with her the whole time. She performs solidly, and can help me handle LIs given something is tanking, like my shadow, or myself. However, in late HELL she's just not doing enough damage anymore to handle more than one at a time, and as I get deeper and deeper in hell I've had to mindblast and use cloak of shadows more often than before to park a ridiculous Lightling immune/physical immune pack and then moving on.

Even if she is partied, my sin is far from useless against LIs because mind blasts can keep the enemies stunned while my partners beat them to a pulp. Cloak of shadows will stop annoying Balrog flame attacks/Gloam lightling etc. She is a great support char in a party, in addition to being able to kill things if said things are not Lightling Immune. And of course once there are bodies a maxed Death sentry does wonders. I'm current in act4 Hell, but I'm going to do a bit of shopping first before I try to kill D. Actually, the bosses are all easy...it's getting to them that's hard. I'm going to shop for +3traps/+3LS claws from Anya so give my LS a +6 boost over what I have now.

For a merc, I think an act2 Holy Freeze merc or even an act5 merc would've been better, as they can be another tank, keeping me even safer. However, Ive been wanting to use a rogue merc for a long time and I figured my shadow can tank well enough (she can). Still, for max safeness act2 holy freeze would the top choice, and can probably do more damage than my rogue.

In conclusion,from what I've seen my char can do so far...she can solo pretty much all of norm/nightmare, but there are certain spots in hell where it's pretty impossible (or would takes 5 hours) to clear. She has to either party (even a 2 player party works great) or she has to park the monsters and move on. My build was made with survival as the TOP priority. While I was hoping she could solo hell by herself, it was never a requirement when I started her. Remember, she is FAR from a slouch even in a party AND against LIs. No one will call you a leecher when you keep the monsters helpless and stunned and blind while your teammates safely dispose of them.

17. SoulTaker

ever since ,i belive HoS told me, about a might merc with a kelpie, i cant switch to nething else...they do some good physical dmg and still slow,
    simple but it works

get that guide coming~iv been lvling mercs past couple days and bs'ing more then lvling my assy, lvl like 12 to 20 are argh, im dreading it....

18. lextalionis

lextalionis IncGamers Member

I wouldn't use a might merc, I'd use a HF merc. It will be slow on top of slow. Even a Defiance merc gives you better support than a might merc. I agree with the Kelpie as a weapon. Its a much cheaper version of the Decryptify casting Polearm. I'm a huge fan of both for their slow, but you still need to use the merc that helps you the most with your build.

19. SoulTaker

iv nevered used a defiance or prayer or nething like that, never needed it or at least i personally think id rather have 2 types of dmg, for those immunes...i beleieve
    tl998 even siad he cant rlly kill da immunes, just mindblast and run away or sumthing...(correct me if i wrong, thats just wut i think he said from memeory)

a holy freeze with kelpie would be some slow *** monsters, but still, lightning immunes will still be a biotch...and personally do you rlly need em that slow??

20. tl998

tl998 Banned

Depends. Some immunes are impossible (like physica/lightling immunes with a LOT of life) while others are doable. I've never had to shy away from an immune in nightmare, but some in hell I've had to run past. Since your merc is an important source of secondary damage, I'd say the MIGHT merc is viable especially if your shadow is buff enough to tank entire crowds (mine is most of the time). Besides, mind blast has no penalty in later difficulties so you can keep monsters stunned and let your merc/shadow whack away with impunity. I'm in act4 hell right now, but I've been having lots of homework, and things are a bit slow. I'm hoping to kill baal sometime tomorrow, and then I'll get started on the guide. I already have a good idea of what I'mg oing to say,b ut I want to beat the game first with this char.

And don't forgot CLOAK of SHADOW! This skill is so good in 1.10 it's not even funny.