Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A new drawing unveiled--Grimm!

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by addicted2macs, Mar 3, 2004.

1. addicted2macs

addicted2macs IncGamers Member

A new drawing unveiled--Grimm!

Howdy, folks! I just finished up a drawing for Dave in the Basement in return for his extreme generosity in trading over the last couple of weeks. Dave chose Grimm, his necromancer, for me to draw.

I'll let him post all the gear info if he'd like, but let me set the stage for the drawing:

Grimm and his minions, a couple skeletons and a clay golem, have entered Pindleskin's cave. While they advance toward Pindle (who would be "off-screen" in the viewer's position), you can see the Undead Hoard awakening and entering through the cave entrance in the background.

So, take a peek and see what you think. Hope you all enjoy!!

http://homepage.mac.com/addicted2macs/grimm.html

BTW: I changed my site around a bit to show the black and white versions of the drawings prior to being colored. If you're interested, check it out, too: http://homepage.mac.com/addicted2macs/index.html

2. Huk

Huk IncGamers Member

:surprise: That is highly elite. :surprise: :worship:

3. nemar

nemar IncGamers Member

very good but a mistake beetween "click" (don't know how say it)

:clap:

4. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

Whoah! :surprise:

Thats really cool drawing once again!

:thumbsup:

5. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

whoetilltlelidoe!! that fishymancer is SweeeeeeeT (hence the capital S :lol: )

great work :thumbsup:

all hail to A2D :worship:

robin

6. Dave in the basement

Dave in the basement IncGamers Member

I sure wish Grimm looked this cool on-screen!

Although Addicted2Macs has laid down the groundwork, I wanted to mention some of the gear that Grimm is equipped with. His helm is Trang Oul’s Guise, and his weapon is the elite-unique Fleshripper. The rest of his gear is MF all the way and consists of Skullder's Ire, upgraded Goldwrap, and a Rhyme Grim(m) shield. His trusty Blade of Ali Baba is in the scabbard on his waist, ready to be switched out at the optimum moment.

Very appropriately, my mercenary, Ilzan the Lost, is hitting on Anya off-screen. He ALWAYS gets lost on the way to Pindle, but how A2M knew that, I’ll never know! :teeth:

As the others have said, excellent job Brian! This will be going on the Wall of Fame very soon… :worship:

Happy Hunting!

Dave

7. farting bob

farting bob Banned

very nice pic! how do you make them?

8. pesot

pesot IncGamers Member

Sweet dude! u even got the ali baba :lol: I like the skull on the necro's left shoulder. what colour did you use? from the texture i can tell it's not watercolour. is it those magic ink thingy. those are pretty expensive according to my budget.

9. addicted2macs

@ farting bob and pesot: I create the drawing with pencil on bristol board. When that's done, I scan it using a large format scanner, do some cleanup on the inevitable smudges and save it as a Photoshop file.

To color, I take the black and white photoshop image and modify the contrast to make the gray lines more black. At that point I do a complex set of layers, each with different areas of color, making use of Photoshop's transparency options (which is how the colors overly the pencil lines). And, voila, one fancy-pants drawing is ready to roll!

If you go back to my site, you can see the black and white version of the drawing before it was colored.

Thanks for comments!

10. pesot

pesot IncGamers Member

@a2m:
    yeah i've seen your site bofore. but i always forgot to ask up until now. i know you're using pencil sketch, but i can't figure out the colour. i usually do my drawings with watercolour because i can't control the mouse very well. everything tends to smear.

anyway great job. i just love the way you managed to keep the pencil textures while making the colours appears smooth. :thumbsup:

11. WaNg

WaNg IncGamers Member

Whoaa, that is a nice piece of art there. His left shoulder almost looks alive with those gems. :thumbsup:

12. addicted2macs

OK, now I understand your question better.

Take your drawing that you scanned and convert it to RGB. Leave the drawing as your background layer, or bottom-most layer. Make a new layer above that and apply the "multiply" layer style. What I usually do is use the magnetic lasso or polygonal lasso to re-draw the broad areas I'll want to color. The lasso makes a new selection which i'll fill with a single color or a different type of gradient blend.

Because the layer has been set to "multiply" the colors below, you'll see the pencil marks through your colors.

For new areas of color, I'll make a new layer and do the same thing until the whole drawing has been colored.

I usually end up with about 5-10 layers of color sitting above the original grayscale image.

When I have to do small areas to fill, I'll just use the airbrush or pencil tool to color.

13. TekkaZeroX

TekkaZeroX IncGamers Member

That is one cool drawing. :thumbsup:

14. pesot

pesot IncGamers Member

thanks for the explaination. i think i'll give it a try someday. i don't have a scanner :hanky: .

15. Ti-Ben

Ti-Ben IncGamers Member

WOW! A2M, you rule! :worship:

16. Moog_playa

Moog_playa IncGamers Member

2 words...

Bad ***

17. Kamelbarn

Kamelbarn IncGamers Member

Stunning! :thumbsup:

Edit: The links to your pictures at your page seems to be wrong. The link to the "A barbarian leap attack" picture gets you to the "Barbarian at Mount Arreat" picture instead, and vice versa. Not a big problem, but you might want to fix this.

18. ricrestoni

ricrestoni IncGamers Member

Cool! The Clay Golem is awesome! Only thing missing: the arrows stuck in the skellies' shields :cool:

I am your fan!

19. Laurazon

Laurazon IncGamers Member

I'm not worthy :worship:
    Very high quality, you must have a very expensive +3 to Art skills paintbrush :D

20. addicted2macs

Nah, it's a "Sharp Mechanical Pencil of Skill" :)
    Dexterity is very important....

@Kamelbarn: I'll check those links out. I just modified those this morning and there's a good chance I just mixed 'em up. Thanks!