Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A must read! Racial differences not skin deep!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DrunkPotHead, Jun 17, 2005.

1. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead Diabloii.Net Member

2. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead Diabloii.Net Member

I tend to agree with most of it. Seems the gist is that there are more biological differences between the human races than meets the eye. To me, that's just an intuitive notion to begin with because if we are so blatantly different on the outside... skin color, hair color, average size, etc... why shouldn't there also be differences elsewhere? People developed in all kinds of climates... differences in all areas of the body are to be expected. Not solely skin color.

I think it's silly to think all races are the same, yet people tend to not want to say they think different lest they be labelled "racist" or something. I think each race will have pros and cons when compared to other races... on average of course. This is not racism, this is just how it is.

3. nrabbit

nrabbit Diabloii.Net Member

i don't believe any of these science stuff. don't know why. you can't just divide the human race in three groups and say which has and what and which doesn't have it.

4. nrabbit

races? i really don't understand why this word is used for humans. we are not divided into terrans, zergs and protoss(sorry for going on blizz topic :p ) to say races. but thats just my opinion :uhhuh:

edit:eek:ops double post sorry sorry sorry

5. Yaboosh

Yaboosh Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, you are absolutely right, you are exactly like every other human on the planet. You don't have different hair, different skin color, different facial features.....

6. Cloud_Walker

Cloud_Walker Banned

It's true. Who cares (besides scientists)?

7. rikstaker

rikstaker Diabloii.Net Member

:flip: Nice tar :flip:

Who is she?

Rik

8. DrunkPotHead

DrunkPotHead Diabloii.Net Member

Explains certain social trends... perhaps some economic ones as well.

9. Tim B

Tim B Diabloii.Net Member

i'd say its certainly plausible.

although i don't know what trends you are refering to, as you've not bothered to mention, but i'd imagine there are far more influential factors.

10. nrabbit

thanks!
    she is nice alright:wink2:
    some chick called maria from costa rica:lol:

11. maccool

maccool Diabloii.Net Member

Guns, Germs and Steel by Jared Diamond makes a much better argument. Then again, it's 600+ pages, so you won't read it.

12. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak Diabloii.Net Member

Hahaha, you kids will believe anything prefaced with “in my studies…†Let me give you a taste of how serious this Canadian “scholar†should be taken.

Without pointing out to Dr. Rushton that sexual behavior, family stability, and crime are not biological, maybe someone should tell him the phrenology argument has been claimed. Of course, the whole “Caucasians are smarter because they have bigger brains theory†has a few flaws. Such as the fact brain size has nothing to do with intelligence, as evidenced by the fact women (who have far smaller brains) have almost identical IQs as men (who have larger brains). If this theory were true, we would expect the average IQ of men to be far higher and that African men would be much higher than white women. We would also expect elephants to be smarter than chimps. This is not the case. In fact, brain size directly correlates with – you guessed it – body size and nothing else (and btw, blacks and whites are identically in average height and weight). This is why this theory was rejected by the scientific community (aka Smartlanders) roughly 175 years ago.

And without getting into the flaws of the IQ test, let me debunk a couple of commonly repeated myths. First, when accounting for other factors, race does not appear to be a factor in IQ. Thus, although blacks in America have a lower average IQ you cannot conclude this is because of genetics, but the evidence rather suggests it is because of less access to schooling and culture (both black culture and white culture).

Second, Asians do not have a higher IQ than whites. Again, race does not appear to be a factor. The one study that did find higher Asian IQ failed to include all Asians (it screened out the relatively less educated non-korean/Chinese/Japanese Asians, who pulled down the average). Later tests have confirmed there is little, if any difference. Some data does exist however that suggests the standard deviation of Asian IQs is smaller than whites, however, which may explain the relative lack of extremely gifted Asians (145+).

Third, blacks do not have larger penises. Someone did a study and concluded although blacks were largest while flaccid and Asians where smallest, when erect the average size was identical. You can google and find this stuff easily.

Please people, think while you read. The brain size theory should have been a giveaway.

Garbad

P.S. If you want to know the REAL reason blacks are dumber it is because human skin has a chemical called mitichlorons in it. Miticholorons need sunlight to create intelligence and the darker the skin, the more sunlight gets reflected away. Because the sunlight is reflected there is less opportunity for intelligence to develop. Therefore the darker the skin, the less intelligent the person. This is also why there is only one black Jedi and why the “chosen one†was, of course, a white male (males have more skin surface area).

13. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I dunno why he thinks this is new... races have subtle but different biological characteristics beyond the basic ones that effect appearance and this has been known for decades.

14. TheUnchosen

TheUnchosen Banned

I read the article and have never seen such ridiculous drivel.
    I'm not a scientist but you don't need to be one to know this is all crap.

If such a case was true, how come there are more "Orientals" in the world than any other race?

Babies gotta come from somewhere....Less sexually active?
    Yeah right...

There are definitely biological differences between races but the difference is no more or less than the biological differences between people of the same race.

An asian guy can be smarter than a white guy.
    A white guy can be smarter than another white guy.

Both share the same probability.

15. ~C|-|erish~

~C|-|erish~ Diabloii.Net Member

I will give the “reprint†credit for accurately quoting some statistics of Rushtons research, albeit controversial at best. Rushton’s research and subsequent book Race, Evolution, and Behavior [which I read] has been in fact dismissed by as many scholars as those that supported him. Written in 1995, “the last 20 years†were between 1975 and 1995, and the timeframe in which he conducted his study, is grotesquely outdated [and challenged] and subjects misrepresented. Was this guy’s research funded by Nazis?

Now that this controversy has surfaced again and has obviously captured the interest of many, it would be prudent for all those who came into contact with this article [which is also grotesquely misquoted] through the URL posted above or their “in-box,†to educate themselves by reading the book, followed by opposing theories.

Man “did†evolve to adapt to his own environment…you’ll get no arguments from me there. People are very different, whether it is skin color, intellectual, male, or female…no argument there either. This is Basic biology.

(1) First, I must comment on the following, which still stands out like a sore thumb:

It would seem the main purpose of “this†was not to point out the wonderful differences in, and intellectual capacities between the three major human races: mongoloid, caucasoid, and negroid, but to justify why Whites are not as smart as the Asians or as athletic as the Blacks. Why this, why now, you ask? Because as any of you techies know, our Asian cousins, has and is by far surpassing the USA in technological research and advancements; therefore, it is now necessary [for the white supremacists] to try and validate why this is so. And where better to get this proof, but from the esteemed :rolleyes: J. Phillippe Rushton. Pay never no mind to the real reason behind this technological boom. Because they know who their audience is, and this audience would believe anything that makes them feel even more superior. At the same time, absolution from any wrong doings which was and still is the cause of societal disharmony and breakdown.

Any scholar caught spewing this “bigger brain, me smarter†theory in this day and age would be given his walking papers and openly ridiculed, even more so now than when it was originally published.

Me thinks thou doest protest too much…

Now, to debunk the other attempt at validation-without-reparation. Man did not evolve in perfect harmony with their environment, to be stripped of their heritage and everything they held dear, dragged from their homes, whipped, degraded, and chained in the bottom of ships, placed on reservations, and turned into slaves. Nor, did they evolve, to be lynched solely because they’re black—yes, this is still happening.

Oh, and in case you all still need further proof that this country has very far to go in the area of basic human rights, the anti-lynching resolution just came up before congress “again.†Twenty fine, upstanding, good ol’ boy southern senators (19R’s, 1D) refused to co-sponsor it this time. The last time I checked, it was not the American Indians, Asians, Blacks, East Indians, or Islanders doing the lynchings. Why must it be necessary for our lawmakers to fight each other to pass an “anti-lynching†resolution to protect a citizen of the United States of America?

Societal breakdown you say…hmmm. No, I guess Blacks have no real reason or right to feel disenfranchised or neglected by their countrymen. Even the police who are there to “protect and serve†them, target them, just because they’re black. Talking in sheer numbers, this treatment is negligible in other minority groups.

Cop: Why’d you run if you did nothing wrong.
    Black Man: Because I’m black…

“A black man, driving a Mercedes Benz, pulled over by police…†for no other reason than he’s black and therefore couldn’t possibly be the owner of such an expensive and prestigious piece of machinery. According to Rushton, he brought this on himself, all because he's of inferior intellect.

In a perfect, harmonious society, where everyone is treated fairly and not judged by the color of their skin, I doubt there would be any political buzz words like “societal breakdown†to contend with.

(2) Now, I will make reference to the IQ tests.

I’m a mixture of many wonderful, rich cultures. My mom was Indian of Madras, S. Indian decent, while my dad was white, of Scottish, Irish, & Portuguese decent.

About 2 years ago, both I [partially schooled in S. America and the USA] and my now ex-husband [who is white, born & schooled in the US] with college degrees, took an IQ test…my score blew his away. Remember, according to society and Rushton, he’s automatically of superior intellect because he’s male and White. Now, I blew that theory straight out of the water, didn’t I?

Our IQ tests were administered in three categories: Intellect, Judgment, and Analytical Thinking. In Judgement, each question was given 5 seconds, while Intellect and Analytical had a time limit of 15 seconds per questions.

This brings me to the next IQ flaw within this “propaganda driven†reprint. If you test an individual, whether Asian, Black, or White on any given subject, where that individual has no knowledge, you WILL find that said individual will not do as well as his or her counterpart who has extensive knowledge of the same subject.

Yet, the IQ test was administered to natives of sub-Saharan Africa and dared-to-compare? Take a 5-year-old child from “sub-Saharan Africa†and place him next to his counterpart from the “European-American†culture…now hand them each a TV remote control, or better yet, a game controller…

Now, what about socio-economic groups? Not much was mentioned in any detail about this very important factor and the impact it has on learning?

Need I go on?

Don’t believe everything you read.

~Cherish~

16. Steve_Kow

Steve_Kow Banned

Good advice.

17. Kawaii

Kawaii Diabloii.Net Member

This so-called "study" is nothing but racist propaganda based on old and already disproved myths(brain size, western IQ tests for africans etc etc). Ignore it.

18. Geeno

Geeno Diabloii.Net Member

19. Garbad_the_Weak

Garbad_the_Weak Diabloii.Net Member

Fear the elephants.

Garbad

20. ~C|-|erish~

~C|-|erish~ Diabloii.Net Member

"The Elephant Man" was a brilliant doctor, but he died in his late 20's because the weight of his head crushed his windpipe.

The size of the cranium is in direct propotion to the body.

But, don't you take my word for it. Research it ;)

~Cherish~