Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A mod's view (previously From the Reaper's Chair)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by AlterEgo, Apr 1, 2005.

1. AlterEgo

AlterEgo IncGamers Member

A mod's view (previously From the Reaper's Chair)

And so begins the 5th in the series. Where do I begin?

First, welcome to all of our new members! :thumbsup: I don't post in the welcome threads like I have in the past, but I still see you join, and am very happy that you do so. New blood, and new spirit is what keeps the SPF going as it has for so many years. Please do take the time to read the FAQs. Yes, they are long and maybe boring, but there is so much to learn from those who have passed through this great forum.

Next, my new avatar. Since I joined these forums (seems forever ago), I've had the same avatar - Horney from the Dungeon Keeper video game. Sssith, a revered member from days gone by, sent me this image on a whim. I like it - thanks my friend.

My apologies to the forum for my lack of presence recently. Real Life has claimed much of my time. I'm on the road a lot, and can only check in when I find a cafe, or hotel with proper accomodations. I appreciate the reported posts & PMs, even if I sometimes take 'forever' to respond. Keep up the good work!

That same Real Life has severly impacted my time to play the game. :confused: My primary goal at this time is to keep working on my HC septavirate. I am abandoning efforts on a number of other fringe characters, most notably, Liberace the rare-jewel-studded Paladin. My thanks go out to the many members who contributed jewels for his cause. I honestly appreciate your interest and trust. I only used a dozen or so of the 150+ jewels you all sent me. I am going to delete my character and return your mules/stashes in the hopes you will find a better home for these items.

Arlyene the crossbow Mageazon will get my attention for a bit. I hope to resurrect and update her thread soon.

Next, a few comments on the state of the SPF. I am both pleased and a bit saddened. First, I want to tell you all how great it is to log in each day and read about the daily exploits, the progress in contests, the giveaways & MP games, the "days of our lives", the questions and answers, life at the EMB, and the general friendliness that exists here. My hope is that you all will work to give more to this place than you take away.

I feel badly about the recent events involving Milamber and others. Stuff happens and we all move on. I hope there are no hard feelings. I will remember the contributions of those no longer with us.

Then there are those that come here with a darker agenda. There are hackers, dupers and other trouble-makers. Unfortunately, it is to be expected in an open environment such as the SPF. My historical position toward those who bend rules and abuse others has been to err on the side of tolerance - innocent until proven guilty, and even then offering a second chance (or even a third). With the recent surge in unsavory practices and questionable members, I think I will alter my stance. A few of you will be shown the door in the next day or two. You will be upset, but oh well. We'll all move on - some of you in other places.

I want to end on a positive note. The SPF is a great forum. It has been, and will be a product of it's most active members. Get involved - be a part of the history. :thumbsup:

2. Minor_Deity

Minor_Deity IncGamers Member

Oh ye of little faith. Hear the rolling of the thunder.
    I told you the correct parties weilding the instrument of righteousness would caste out the wicked when it came time.

It being their J.O.B. and all. :D

Hi AE!

*runs for cover*

P.S. Anybody know how to measure in cubits?:scared: :lol:
    P.P.S. LOVE the new Tar.:cool: But we don't look like distant cousins anymore. *sniff*

3. NSXdreamer

NSXdreamer IncGamers Member

4. corax

corax IncGamers Member

and descending from the heaven's he did thus smite the heathen's and there was much rejoicing and feasting on the pigs and lambs and orangutans and breakfast cereals....
    :drink: hooray

I'm interested now AE what is it exactly that you do? let me guess. your a bushranger????? i knew one of the mods had to be evil. good mod, bad mod anyone?

5. DurfBarian

DurfBarian IncGamers Member

Oh man I missed you so much!

Or, well, I would have been missing you if I'd been sober.

6. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

I do not think that your link works AE. Good to see your POV. Btw i know this isnt my buisness(sp) but what is it that you do? :)
    EDIT-I hope you are not a 44 year old traveling salesman who kills people and eats them. (jkin)

7. Stony

Stony IncGamers Member

I believe AlterEgo is our Forum Moderator, Being Generally In Charge and Master of All He Doth See So Long As He Doth Not Look Too Far. The head honcho, the big cheese, El Chelso Bogdonavitch. He of the Mighty Mod Stick, Smiter of Twits and Possesser of Awesomeness. We amuse ourselves by tossing jello cubes at his head. Don't worry, he secretly loves it.

Stony

8. AlterEgo

Hmmm, that link is one of those "sponsored links" from the site. Not mine...

I'm actually only 43 (really) and am an accountant, turned consultant. Rather boring, but pays the bills. Not sure if that makes me the evil mod or not.

@all - Sorry that my post came across a bit preachy. I just had a lot on my mind recently and had an urge to share. :D

@ NSX - you may never see the photo of me or Rachel. The one in Durf's mug shots is close enough to reality for me, and my daughter prefers to remain photoless (note: she looks a lot like Sidhe).

@ Durf - glad you've been around recently. How about some sort of biblical linky?

edit: @ lemming - I'll take you up on that. Expect an email soon. :thumbsup:

9. corax

corax IncGamers Member

yup accountants are the evillest of evil *banned* :D

10. DurfBarian

Sure, I've never been afraid to mix religion and squirrels.

11. AlterEgo

That is one strange song! I bet strijdje would like it. :teeth:

12. mad.as.a.meataxe

mad.as.a.meataxe IncGamers Member

As a fellow accountant (when I'm not skiving) I can absolutely positively guarantee that we are EEEEEVIL!!!

Thanks for the heads-up AE. Everybody here promises to be good, at least until you're back on the road again and can't check up on us!

MAAM

13. DurfBarian

I looked for links dealing with giant squids and the Bible and found a bunch of stuff from religious nuts claiming that our cephalopodic friend explains things from sea serpents to Leviathan to plesiosaurs, and therefore evolution is a sham. Or something. I didn't want to spend any brain cells reading in detail.

14. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

AE changed his avatar! ::faints::

Sorry to hear that RL is hitting you hard. Good luck, to you and lemming. I do appreciate your work, and I'm glad to see you shifting your policy to ban more people sooner (assuming the rate of dupers/hackers stays the same).

Thanks for the update!

crg

15. dokhogg

dokhogg IncGamers Member

Glad you made the post, glad to see you are bringing out the mod stick....there has been a bit of a snag in some things that have happened as of late. ALthough, as you said, this happen and we must go on. I don't post as often as I should, but am a good lurker.

dok

16. water_moon

water_moon IncGamers Member

Hey! I'm from Mississippi! And I know people that think that's a real church song.....

We've missed you AE, the 'tar looks cool but I won't be able to reconize you for like a month or two... Have some fresh home made cookies and if you're in NV look goltar & I up and we'll give you a real home cooked meal.

p.s. a cubit was biblical measurement that was from the tip of your fingers (held karate chop style) to your elbow.

17. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

I'm not sure if this is On Topic or not...but that is one stylish and cool avatar...Good luck with your hardcore septavirate thingy.

18. Ragnarod

Ragnarod DiabloII.Net Pal

Your post made for an interesting read AE, thanks for sharing! Now, go smite the evilry that has invaded this forum lately, and make us proud (not that I've noticed a significant amount of it anyways, but I guess there must be a few bad apples around waiting to be taken care of, judging by your post :))

19. DX-Crawler

DX-Crawler Banned

Like your new avatar AE.
    And thanks for the reading. Gives perspective of things

And have a good one for our smilies working again :drink: :drink: :drink: or perhaps three

DX

20. Rizzo

Rizzo IncGamers Member

Wohoo, my thread got mentioned :D hehe!

Seriously though, thanks AE for this thread. In recent times I've felt like the mods weren't here anymore. It's been like a deserted forum, where all the old friends were long gone. Because of this (primarily) I too have let RL take over and have been only peeking in once in a while. Still, I work at a computer every day, so once in a while for me is still once per day :)

Thanks for giving me back my faith in the SPF.

Best regards
    Rizzo