Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A Merc Immune to Gloams/Souls

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by FrostBurn, Aug 31, 2006.

1. FrostBurn

FrostBurn IncGamers Member

A Merc Immune to Gloams/Souls

So, in my quest to stop my goddamn Act 2 merc from dying, I've been experimenting with different gear to try to make him immune to lightning. Especially for my latest amazon project (which is driving me bonkers), it is imperative that the brainless prick stays alive. I'll list a selection of items that I've tried (note: weapon is a Shael'ed Reaper's Toll, all tests done at /players8):

Treachery RW + Blackhorn's Face
    This gives over-stacked resistances, but still capped at 75 resist all, and the +20 lightning absorb wasn't good enough to keep numbskull alive.
    Verdict: Dead

Guardian Angel + Andariel's Visage (both socketed with 15 resist all jewel and Um rune) (borrowed from my pally)
    Resistances were 60/90/90/95. The Shael in the weapon can be replaced with a ruby jewel (30% fire resist) to give 90/90/90/95. Stupid twit's health actually stabilised, and dropped slowly when facing packs of Souls.
    Verdict: Not immune, but the blathering idiot lived for a very long time before needing pots.

Guardian Angel + Blackhorn's Face (15 resist all jewels in armour and helm)
    Resistances were 90/90/90/90. With the +20 lightning absorb, the mindless plonker could finally bathe himself in lightning bolts and only seldomly lost life, perhaps 50, at worst.
    Verdict: Effectively immune.

So there you go. I've made the toad immune to lightning, and almost impervious to fire, cold and poison, only to have him lose +2 to all skills, have no FHR, life leech down from 24% to 15%, and Jabbing at only 12 frames instead of the usual 10 frames.

What's the point of all this I hear you ask. Well, apart from the vain hope that you might find this interesting and of use, I'm also wondering what tricks you use to keep your merc alive when facing the dreaded Soul.

:tongue:

2. Corrupted

Corrupted IncGamers Member

Guardian Angel + Kira's Guardian.

3. FrostBurn

*sigh*

I think I'll stress the point that he needs to be kept alive. Even with resistances of 90/90/90/90, but without the +20 lightning absorb, he'll eventually die without intervention.

With the +20 lightning absorb, he can happily soak up that lightning without squealing. Anything else that works along those lines?

4. jjscud

jjscud IncGamers Member

When baal running, I use Guardian Angel + Vamp Gaze + Kelpie Snare. The kelpie vs. Reapers shouldn't be significant. The Gaze has more life leach and some DR. I haven't lost my merc to gloams in ages. Of course neither Vamp Gaze or Guardian Angle provide resisits directly so both will need Ums or Res all Jewels. (Or possible aCold res / IAS and Lit Res / IAS jewels).

Edit: I should emphasize the my merc never dies while he and I are killing the gloams. If you're looking to leave him in a room with gloams and a few unravelers and walk away from the computer for 20 minutes, then it could get a bit tricky.

5. DarkChaos

DarkChaos IncGamers Member

You should probably get to killing the gloams... mercs can't exactly stay alive for minutes at a time while you are afk'ing... I had 90/90/90/95 resists on my Blizzballer's merc who used Andariel's Visage, Guardian Angel, and a Kelpie. The Andariel's Visage and GA were both Um'd, and my merc didn't usually go down below 80% to gloams. Just kill those gloams before they kill you (or your merc)... they are really very weak and only take a few hits before they go down.

6. lone_wolf

lone_wolf Diablo: IncGamers Member

a lit immune moron now that is a nice idea. all we need now is a lit immune char and we have the ultimate gloom hunting team.:smiley:

crap now i have yet another char to plan.

7. FrostBurn

*sigh* again

Ok, seems like I should have worded my starter post differently. It's now obvious to me that it has been misleading. I'll re-attempt:

1. This was a series of tests. The purpose was to try to prevent the merc from dying to lightning bolts. The player setting was at 8 (that's eight). Souls are not weak at /p8. Their lightning bolt damage is greater at /p8 than at /p1.

2. At /players8, it would seem that plain 90 lightning resist on its own is not sufficient to prevent merc death. Not from my tests. Although he could sustain a good degree of lightning damage, his health dropped nonetheless.

3. The addition of +20 lightning absorb was necessary to maintain his life. With that addition, I could indeed leave him there for ever being shot at by Souls, and his life barely ever dropped. When it did, the loss of life was so minimal that his natural life regeneration soon restored him to full health. And all this while being constantly fired at by Souls.

4. Therefore, I wondered if there were other methods of keeping the merc alive. However, as I'm probably the only mad person here who plays Hell at /players8 when questing, I think my difficulties with Souls might be unique.

5. Who said anything about afk'ing? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'm outta here. Over and out. :hide:

Edit: @lone_wolf: Yeah, you got the picture. :smiley:

8. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Frostburn, you amaze me. I didn't realize it was *possible* to keep an Act 2 moron alive.

Their outstanding slovenliness and stupidity is why I have ran with an Act 1, Act 3 and Act 5 merc in preference.

Now I have some ideas to keep Shein's merc alive.

Thank you and good work! :thumbsup:

9. DarkChaos

Double Lightsabre barb. ^^

@FrostBurn: You are not the only crazy person... but /players8 does not increase monster damage by that much. The difference is in health... the damage difference between /players1-8 is 10-20% IIRC.

10. macalan

macalan IncGamers Member

Prayer merc with Insight and Guardian angel almost never dies, Blackhorns isn't necessary. And with that merc, you never run low on mana/life.

11. FrostBurn

:unimpressed: :rolleyes:

@Thyiad: Thanks for your post. I'm glad that you found it useful. I must add this caveat though. Although the merc (Might, in this case) was immune to Gloam lightning attacks at /players8, he still struggled against tough physical attackers, e.g. frenzytaurs or cursed steel scarab boss. When facing monsters like those, player intervention is still necessary to keep the dumbass alive.

12. DarkChaos

I don't get it.

Maybe I phrased it wrong... it's only 10-20% :laugh:

13. FrostBurn

Just leave it.