Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[Guide] A mathematical treatment of Magic find in Diablo II

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by drmalawi, Aug 21, 2018.

Tags:
  1. darkstarhub

darkstarhub Diabloii.Net Member

Wow guys. Awesome videos @drmalawi. I really like your voice, as it kinda reminds me of a couple short pieces that are on 2 Tool albums. They are not really songs, kinda like fillers in a way, but your voice is very similar, and I flat out love Tool. Some of you guys are so smart, and I hit steel with a sledge hammer haha, but there are some things involved with welding that require brute knowledge, and that’s what I am going with.

ffs likes this.
  2. drmalawi

drmalawi Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks dude, I still haven't got a pop filter for my new mic or any audio software.

Tool is great band, but I can't sing unfortunately... math is my thing ;)

So you are the one who took Charsi's hammer? I'll find you!

3. darkstarhub

darkstarhub Diabloii.Net Member

I love math as well. I wish I would have put forth a little more effort in high school, but I did take Algebra 1/2, Calculus, Trig, and Chemistry/physics. They were just the regular classes and not AP. I did have fun back then though. Too much fun sometimes, but I was young, and believe it or not those experiences helped with street smarts, and have saved my ass a few times.
    When I went to college, I was thinking Statistics would be an easy A, but wow, the classes were way more involved than I was anticipating. I had to actually try,and although that sounds weird with my prior math experience, I was not expecting it. There is no way around the fact that math is the language of the universe.
    One of these days I am going to make a small forge area in the back of my garage. I already have a really nice, old anvil, and some basic knowledge of blacksmithing. Considering I work on the railroad, there is no shortage of steel I can get my hands on to play with. Maybe I can make a Grief PB, or something even cooler like articulated gauntlets.

4. pharphis

pharphis Diabloii.Net Site Pal

You would think that basic high school chemistry (enough to know moles, molecules, molar masses, concentrations, etc.) would be enough to make EVERYONE street smart in some very key areas but you'd be surprised. Good that you got something out of it.

an example of what I have in mind is literally anyone with a science DEGREE believing in things like homeopathy. Absolutely absurd

Zyr likes this.
  5. Fabian

Fabian Diabloii.Net Member

I've never heard of anyone thinking statistics would be an easy A before. As a statistics major in my bachelor's, that gave me a good chuckle!

6. drmalawi

At least one should have checked up the statistics of getting an A in statistics first ;)

Zyr and pharphis like this.
  7. crawlingdeadman

crawlingdeadman Diabloii.Net Member

Yeah, I figured there was a list out there somewhere, but a quick google search didn't find it. I also tried a couple key words on Arreat Summit, but no luck there *gasp*. I regularly forget about the Wiki and didn't check very thoroughly there (although it helped with the SU locations). It was fun to do the run, it had been a while since I did an all SU run and on the last one I skipped the bosses and just did the "weird" SUs that no one thinks about.

About Find Potion, that is interesting. I hadn't heard that before. It doesn't surprise me considering you can use most corpses for say skeletons, but there's restrictions on which you can resurrect. I've also had a hard time with some corpses for making Grim Wards.

EDIT: That corpses page was real good! I think my issues with Grim Ward were non flesh corpses, even though I was so sure at the time that it wasn't.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    T72on1 likes this.
  8. drmalawi

Major issue! The "german dropcalculator" that I have been using for this project is down, and it is not a server issue because I have checked other sites

Here is the link to the calculator http://mfb.bplaced.net/dropcalc/dro...ch=113&mode=lod&interface=default&window=true

I know one can use Silospen instead, but Silospen does not give information about no drop chance and it is easier to sort monsters depending on area in the german calc.

If anyone knows or has some kind of tool that can provide no drop-chances and/or have the german calculator available offline/downloaded - please let me know!

I might actually make my own "no drop" calculator if no one else has a clue

9. drmalawi

Bump

Updated with video for Chapter 5 - Examples (and also some correction of mistakes) and slideshow to include chapter 5 too. Have fun with it!

Next part will be chapter 6 & 7 - Simulation and Homework problems

T72on1 and Pb_pal like this.
  10. drmalawi

Updated with video for Chapter 6 & 7 - Simulations and Homework problems.
    The slideshow now includes chapter 6 & 7.

I could not add more than 5 videos to the OP, so here is the video-link to chapter 6 & 7

Now I wanna see at least some attempts of solving the homework problems and some questions that I can include in the follow up video :p

Pb_pal, NanoMist and T72on1 like this.
  11. drmalawi

Preliminary content for the follow-up episode(s)

- Solutions to the Homework problems
    - Magic Find breakpoints (for Unique yield)
    - Chance of no-drop calculations (regular monsters and Councils)
    - How to calculate Council drop chance of runes
    - The 7 pick algorithm and the 6 item cap rule for Act Bosses, calculator issues

pharphis likes this.
  12. drmalawi

Pb_pal likes this.
  13. logoutzero

logoutzero Diabloii.Net Member

I don't know why, but this really tickled my heart strings. Made me spit out my coffee. I'm starting 6/7 now, and am actually looking forward to the homework. I'll be back soon, but just had to comment on that!

Edit:
    This one is easy. You showed us that the natural log of the ratio of 100% to the difference of 100% gives us t/x runs. This simplifies to ln(10), and we're left with 11,513 runs, because you can't complete 0.9254 of a run and expect it to count!

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  14. drmalawi

@logoutzero

Actually you need to round up to 11 514 runs because 11 513 would not push 90% ;)
    However, I did not specify the accuracy of 90%, strictly speaking it has 1 significant digit. Same with 5000. That means that the answer should have 1 significant digit as well. So the scientifically correct answer would be 10000 runs.
    So I would accept almost any answer: 10000, 11500, 11513, 11514, even 12000 runs would be acceptable answer for this question :p

logoutzero likes this.
  15. drmalawi

THIS SERIES IS CANCELLED AND WILL NOT BE UPDATED ANY FURTHER ON THIS FORUMS.

Perhaps in the future I will upload some more lectures on YouTube.

16. logoutzero

logoutzero Diabloii.Net Member

Looking forward to it. Sorry to see you go.