Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A LO Rune to be used on Fortitude or Grief?

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by Alywin, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Alywin

Alywin IncGamers Member

A LO Rune to be used on Fortitude or Grief?

Okay, I am now playing much less time than before and so I am poor on ladder realm. But luckily, a LO popped up from a plain chest (not the one behind meph, you know, the more super one) in Durance Level 3 tonight.

As a poor guy, I think I can only afford either Grief or Fortitude ladder-only runewords. So I have four questions:

1. What exactly is the differenece of the attributes given by Fortitude between armour and weapon. I have read the Arreat Face but I doubt the accuracy for the attributes given to weapon stated there (Why isn't there on 20% deadly strike for LO on a weapon???)

2. As a weapon, I suspect Grief is much better than Fortitude, because of the +340-400 damage. But exactly, such damage is added as the weapon damage (before, e.g., any aura) or after all modification effects?

3. Fortitude seems to be better on armour, because the 300% ed will multiply the full weapon damage (after all modifications on the weapon), but on weapon, it is just a plain 300% ed (just like a "cruel" effect). Am I right?

4. All in all, the LO should be used on Fortitude armour, right?

Thanks in advance.

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

The decision would be easier if you decide which character will get the item. If it's a WW barb or a bowazon, Fortitude would be better, but a paladin would do better with Grief.

If you don't want to make a decision about it now or you want to have an item which might be passed to different characters, a Fortitude armor is more versatile, so it would be the better choice IMO.

Regarding the attributes of Fortitude in a weapon in contrast to Fortitude in an armor, only those are different which come from the runes themselves.

%ed from non-weapons goes into the skills/aura/stats part of the damage formula, it doesn't get added to %ed from weapons and absolute bonus damage. If your character gets high bonuses from skills, auras or attributes (like paladins or conc barbs), it's better to have %ed on weapons, else (e.g. for WW barbs or especially bowazons) it's better to have a certain amount of off-weapon %ed.

3. Chimaira

Chimaira IncGamers Member

2. You're completely right...It would be a damn shame to make a Fortitude weapon.

4. Yes...Fortitude armor is much more flexible and can be used on pretty much any character class dealing physical damage. Of course it depends on what characters you like to play with...

4. shade449

shade449 IncGamers Member

Actually even if he was making a ww barb grief would still be better imo. There are very good cheap armors like duress that you could use instead of fort. However the different alternatives for grief are much more expensive to obtain (ie ebotd, edc etc). Not to mention the fact that if you get a good roll on the grief(ie 40 ias 390+ dmg) you could resell it for 30+ ists :D.Personally, unless your making a zon, I would make a grief.

5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I didn't calculate it, but I guess a WW barb deals less damage with Grief and Duress than e.g. with 300+%ed Oath and Fortitude.

As you said, a WW barb either needs a good IAS roll for Grief (34+ for a BA or 39+ for a CB, for example) or he makes a compromise regarding the weapon: a zweihander is the only weapon which has reach 3, can be wielded one-handed and is guaranteed to hit the final WW breakpoint. It's just an exceptional weapon, but the damage difference to a BA is rather small).

6. woundead

woundead IncGamers Member

4. Yes, If you only can afford one RW, I would without doubt make It in a armor, low req like dusk/wyrm/archon

7. Wmeredith

Wmeredith IncGamers Member

If you can afford to make a grief, you can afford to make an eth oath and a fort. I would definitely make the Fort. It's more versatile. Just my 2 cents...

8. Decebal

Decebal IncGamers Member

I would use the LO rune to make Fortitude as well!

Grief its a bit like russian roulette :D Especially when yuo are making it in a BA. U need at least 34 ias roll on the runeword to reaach the last ww breakpoint. And with the variation of 30 - 40 ias its a chance you take!

Besides Fortitude is a great armor for all melee characters! And its the optimal armor for a bowazon!

/Dec

9. Alywin

Alywin IncGamers Member

Thanks for all the input so far. :clap: :clap:

But I just think the information on Arreat Face is weird. Anywhere I can get the exact information for both armour and weapon for Fortitude?