A little perspective--

caddad

Diabloii.Net Member
I've watched a lot of children die from cancer. I've also watched some fight it off with varying degrees of success.

I've got nothing but perspective but I'd never compare one person's tradgedy to another's like that.

If my parents taught me one thing more important than any other it was to never wish to trade lives//problems with anyone. As good of a life as you think you'd have as someone else, it's rarely that simple or even healthy to think about.

I'm thankfull for the cocoa-puff person having so little to worry about.

-D2netDad

I've watched a lot of children die from cancer. I've also watched some fight it off with varying degrees of success.

I've got nothing but perspective but I'd never compare one person's tradgedy to another's like that.

If my parents taught me one thing more important than any other it was to never wish to trade lives//problems with anyone. As good of a life as you think you'd have as someone else, it's rarely that simple or even healthy to think about.

I'm thankfull for the cocoa-puff person having so little to worry about.

-D2netDad
Actually, almost instantly after hanging up, I thought of you and your family and everything you have all been through.
My continued good thoughts to all of you.

Star Dust

Diabloii.Net Member
HockeyChic said:
Again-----

HockeyChic said:
The point I was making was that many of us, in the grand scheme of things, really have little to complain about. I was in no way belittling any other tragedy. I was simply saying there are things you can see, hear, read that make you take a deep breath and be thankful for what you have.
Ummm, no. Way to change your point in light of Dross' reasonable response to what you initially said:

HockeyChic said:
I guess my point is, suck it up and move on. There are worse things you could have happening to you.

Ummm, no. Way to change your point in light of Dross' reasonable response to what you initially said:
My point of that was--if all you have to complain about in life is that someone ate your cocoa-puffs--get over it, move on, there are more important things in life. Something like that is not really a tragedy.

HAMC8112

Diabloii.Net Member
My point of that was--if all you have to complain about in life is that someone ate your cocoa-puffs--get over it, move on, there are more important things in life. Something like that is not really a tragedy.

Sure... untill someone eats your cocoapuffs.

PlagueBearer

Diabloii.Net Member
But... but I'm COO-COO for Cocoa Puffs!

COO-COO FOR COCOA PUFFS!:flip::jig:

On a (slightly) more serious note, I've always been annoyed with the misuse of the word "tradgedy." It has a very specific meaning, and it is not simply "A very very bad thing"

Johnny

Banned
I was talking with a friend of mine this morning who happens to be a Hospice Care Nurse. A few weeks ago she was sent to the home of someone dying from brain cancer. This someone is a 7 year old little girl. Her dad is a single father, mom walked out when she was very small, before she had been diagnosed with cancer. This morning while being helped to the bathroom the little girl collapsed, now paralyzed. She is in extreme pain despite heavy doses of morphine. She likely won't make it through the week. This daddy is about to lose his only child. He's not going to have another Christmas, birthday, another anything.
I know this is not the usual type of thread posted in here. I know it's more than a bit depressing. However, through all of our whining over trivial matters--bad day at work/school, this person is being mean to me, someone ate my cocoa puffs--, this just sort of made me stop and think about how pathetic all of that complaining really is. I guess my point is, suck it up and move on. There are worse things you could have happening to you.
Been there. Done that.

Ariadne

Diabloii.Net Member
Good context.
Losing a child, no matter at what age, is always tragic. Death is so irreversable, and you are never prepared enough. There's never the time for the final goodbye, and it takes ages before you have peace with it.

If basics in life are ok, you won't be upset over trivial things as cocopuffs, but if something deeply disturbs you in your every day life, everything that goes wrong just adds up.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Well, that's a sad story but it's a little silly to compare everything to something unimaginably horrible and then say that all our complaints are petty and we shouldn't feel bad when bad things happen to us.

I could just as easily put up a story about something really, really good happening and then say that compared to that all the good things that happen to us are nothing compared to that and we should shut up and stop feeling good about them.

I don't know why people divide emotions into "good" emotions and "bad" ones, they are all equally valid.

Yes, we all live lives in little bubbles and most of our bubbles aren't nearly as bad as some other people's, but that's not such a terrible thing, it's just the way things are.

someone ate my cocoa puffs
They did? The monsters!

Module88

Diabloii.Net Member
I'm with Dross on this one. Saying, "it could be worse" isn't justification for not looking badly on a situation. It could always be worse. Does that mean we shouldn't complain about things? It's one thing to be thankful for what you have, it's quite another to not feel like you have a right to complain because "it could be worse."

This is very different than your original post. But good enough.

WildBerry

Diabloii.Net Member
On a (slightly) more serious note, I've always been annoyed with the misuse of the word "tradgedy." It has a very specific meaning, and it is not simply "A very very bad thing"
"The form of play in which the protagonist gets killed in stead of his pal"? :laugh:

Dawnmaster

Diabloii.Net Member
I've learned to almost not complain about anything in life.

Most of the time, when something IS bugging me, I help others (mostly friends, I know enough people with various problems) and I stop caring about my own.

I do realize, that every moment of the day, there are people all over the world, suffering from pain I can't even begin to imagine (both physical and psychological) but you can't worry about everything that goes wrong everywhere, it just makes you feel depressed, and you can't make a difference.

That's why I limit my concerns to the people that are close to me, to the ones I can actively help (though, this isn't appreciated by people who want to gather money for a cancer kiddie on the other side of the country...)

And if I see how they treat you in most hospitals etc (got plenty of examples from friends/family), I sure hope I never get sick (not for the sake of getting sick, feeling the pain, I can actually life with that, but I can't life with helplesly undergoing the torture of hospital itself)