Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A little curiosity...

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by bacchae, Mar 12, 2004.

1. bacchae

bacchae IncGamers Member

A little curiosity...

I've been wondering something for a while, and the more I lurk around the trading forum and drool at all the nice shiny items, the more this question has been playing on my mind....

What on earth keeps you lot playing?

By "you lot", I mean all of you crazy Mfers, long-standing players, really lucky sorts, shrewd traders - all of the people who seem to have high end runes and elite items dripping from every pore. It just baffles me a little as to why, after you've seemingly become incredibly "wealthy", and therefore must have been able to kit out your characters in top-notch gear, that you don't become exceedingly bored with the game.

Not that I'm saying you should stop playing, don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to drive away all the d2 experts lol, I'm just incredibly curious as to what keeps you coming back for more....

bacchae

2. Dredd

Dredd D3 Off Topic Moderator

1. The 1.10 patch has given this game a whole new lease on life for me.

2. I still find it incredibly fun and addicting.

3. Lots of friends to play with.

4. I still have not built a 'perfect' character.

5. I'm tired of spending money on games that I can virtually annihilate within a week. My initial investment for this game (maybe $60 for two cds) has given me over three years of playing enjoyment. That's a helluva bargain IMO.

3. Indemaijinj

Indemaijinj IncGamers Member

Exploring all the different possibilities there is skill and gear-wise.

Like: "Now I have tried using my BotD thunder maul on a werewolf and a whirlwinder, hmm, how would it look on a leap-frog barbarian."

I am still poor, but what keeps me going is trying to build all these different characters. From the powerful to the marginal, I wanna have a shot at them all.

4. skihard

skihard Banned

I agree with Indemaijinj.....I have throw barb i'm trying to get through hell and I have an Auradin I'm working on, I think I can w/merc and runewords have 5 maybe 6 active auras at 1 time I think this one may take awhile. for me it now just a trying to do as many different things as possible.

5. Frenzied Bovine

Frenzied Bovine IncGamers Member

Guess what?

I'm becoming exceedingly bored with the game.

My wife and I decided to make two new characters.. a hammerdin and javazon. It took us about 24 hours to have them outfitted with the most godly stuff imaginable.

My interest is being held nowadays by starting exceedingly wierd characters. I'm about to do a Mongojerry-like story about one of them, actually.

6. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

D2 tends to be cyclical for many people. Play til it feels tedious, leave it, then pick it up again later w/ renewed interest.

Its easy to get addicted to mfing and trading. But once the economy stagnates, and once all yer chars are outfitted, there isn't much left to do except make off-the-wall builds, or duel. U have to be a true diehard to stick w/ this game.

Time to hit up the first-person shooters again....

7. Usufruct

Usufruct IncGamers Member

Aye, I play Unreal 2k4 a LOT more than I play this game. Look for me as Usufruct on instagib East servers!

8. Asylla

Asylla IncGamers Member

I travel A LOT in my job. D2 runs well on any laptop I take with me, whether it be my personal Alienware mobile, or my companies various business laptops. When I am on the road, there are many times I hang out at the hotel and take advantage of their in-room broadband connections. I have gotten used to this as a part of life on the road away from my family.

Thats why I keep playing. That and I still haven't created my true "perfect character".

9. toader

toader Banned

Just to hang out with freinds and family.

I have a few real life freinds, long time internet freinds, and even my mother plays diablo 2. Its fun to get on and hang out playing with them.

Its the equivalent of going out to the bar and hanging out (if you know the people in real life I mean).

10. Wolv

Wolv IncGamers Member

Ever play UT99? I played a ton of instagib on the 155/55 servers....

Mebbe we'll trade a few shots in UTk4...

11. festers50

festers50 IncGamers Member

Same here, I"m able to spend time with my sons and nephews who have grown up and moved away from home.

Also a few of my riding buddies play and we can keep up on dirty jokes and complain about the weather (way too cold for old men to be on motorcycles).

12. masakerr

masakerr IncGamers Member

Personally, I've made a few friends while playing the game. Some friend ahve come and gone, but others have hung in there. I continue to play because I haven't created everything possible. I've never had the "perfect" character with the perfect gear. The game is so versitile ... I don't I've looked for "other" games, tried a few and keep coming back. The other problem I have is that all of the new games require a lot more in a computer then I have.

The maps don't change. OK, I can live with that. Blizz did the best they could with the new patch. I'm waitin on the new ladder season to see how that effects the non-ladder community. I'm not holding my breath on this, but it will be interesting to see what happens.

Masa

13. th5418

th5418 Banned

I like to play with my friends. And try out some new stuff with gear I've found.

14. Xenon[XoA]

Xenon[XoA] Banned

I dunno, I like finding stuff. especially shiny gold stuff. I've always liked sorcs, so I just keep rebuilding them. Invariably once they get around **, they get sacked. Start over again, move the cumulative gear onto the new. But yes, its not much fun if you stick to the same old monotony, and dont try new builds once in a while.

15. Reggitsan

Reggitsan Banned

I have a Throw potion Paladin in act 5 Normal. :p

16. alainpp66

alainpp66 IncGamers Member

I play because the little people tell me too....

And you Don't disagree with the little people :cheesy:.

Honestly, I still play because it's habit... at rare times it's fun, but it's mainly tedious if no one I know is online (Really only 1 person). Overall, it's being at my comp that relaxes me and I just don't have many games I really enjoy. There's D2 at times, NHL2004/2002 (Could be because the Penguins can actually succeed)... and that's about it. (Guild wars PLEASE??)

So I spend 20X more time on the forums than I do in the game.

17. PhsycoTimmay

PhsycoTimmay IncGamers Member

I am starting to realize this too, I am spending more times here on the forums, than I am acually in D2, could I be just talking to people here that I stay and post, and post, and post, I just dont know, but Ive noticed my post count going up insanly fast, Right now I have a reason not to play :thumbsup: the "gaurdians" wont let me!

18. Wolfwind

Wolfwind IncGamers Member

I'm no rich-l337 sort but I generally play for a hour or so of general carnage and death. now 1.10 is out I'm messing with builds. >.> My pet project currently is a inferno sorc. Might try a tooth necro after that.

But also, like said above, the game lasts longer than others. Plus if you're feeling like being a utter pain in the ***, you can go and PK people. Or antagonise the Bnet kiddies. :D

19. Starseed

Starseed IncGamers Member

Well, from .09 up to this point in .10 I've never been anywhere near rich and thankfully had lots of people to help me get on my way. Now though, I'm actually coming into my own with a char. who can MF anywhere in Hell and I'm building a collection of all the stuff I used to hear people talk about but never even saw; though there's still a LOT of stuff that eludes me.

The other reason is because of work. I usually end up pulling doubles, or working 'til 12a then coming home and going back to work at 9a, so I don't really have time to do much else, factor in having to save as much money as I can for my move to Chicago this summer and it's really one of the few outlets I have to enjoy myself that won't drain my bank account. :)

Once college starts up again though, we'll see if I can even manage to keep my accounts from going inactive. o_O