Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A little critique/help on a new sorc.

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by bigD72, Sep 26, 2006.

1. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

A little critique/help on a new sorc.

This is probably going to be one of my last builds for this season and I want to make her as close to perfect as possible, so any comments/advice will be very much appreciated.

This is a basic BlizzBaller, being built for the purpose of being able to clear all of Hell (with ease!) namely the level 83-85 areas.

Typically, I don't play with such good gear which is why I'm requesting advice (to optimize), but Meph and Andy have been kind and I figured I'd give a character such as this a go.

Below is listed the gear (along with pertinent stats) that I have/am in the process of aquiring

Merc Equipment:
    Infinity Polearm (Ber + Mal + Ber + Ist)
    Level 12 Conviction Aura When Equipped
    +35% Faster Run/Walk
    +255-325% Enhanced Damage (varies)
    -(45-55)% To Enemy Lightning Resistance (varies)
    40% Chance of Crushing Blow
    Prevent Monster Heal

Harlequin Crest
    +2 All Skills
    DR 10%
    + (1.5 Per Character Level) 1-148 To Life (Based On Character Level)

Shaftstop
    Damage Reduced By 30%
    +250 Defense Vs. Missile
    +60 To Life

Sorc
    2 x SOJ +1 to All Skills Increase Maximum Mana 25% +20 Mana
    Mara's Kaleidoscope +2 to All Skill Levels +20-30 Resis All +5 Stats
    Heart of the Oak +3 to All Skills 40% FCR 15% Max Mana 30-40 Resis
    Harlequin Crest +2 All Skills DR 10% + (1.5 Per Character Level) (Life/Mana)
    Skin of the Vipermagi +1 to All Skills 30% FCR 20-35% Resis
    Stormshield 60% Cold Resis 25% Light Resis +30 STR & DR 30% 67% Block
    Magefists +1 Fire Skill 20% FCR
    War Travs
    Arachnid Mesh +1 All Skills 20% FCR
    Anni (Not sure about what stats I can get.)
    Sorc Torch (Not sure about what stats I can get/if I can afford one just yet.)

Here is the summation of what I recieve from all of the gear sans sockets.

110% FCR Total
    +14 All Skills
    +1 Fire Skills
    100-135 Resis All 160-195 Cold Resis 125-160 Light Resis

Skills:

20 Blizzard
    20 Glacial Spike (Last to be Maxed)
    20 Ice Blast
    1 Ice Bolt
    1 Frost Nova
    1 Cold Mastery

1 Static
    1 TK
    1 Teleport

20 Fire Bolt
    20 Fire Ball
    1 Warmth
    1 Fire Mastery

Now, first off everyone will probably comment on the lack of e-shield and tk.

I made the decision that I won't need it, my current sorc has less life and no %DR and rarely gets hit.

Secondly, there is only 1 point in Cold Mastery because of the massive +skills and the Conviciton that will be running at all times which will be -95% Resistances and the Mastery will be -90%. I consider this to be an apt amount for any monsters that I will encounter.

I'm heavily considering not using 2 SOJs for the fact that they are ungodly expensive and I lack absorb, so using a dwarf/wisp and a Raven would save me on absorb and some dex.

I also have a BO slave running at about level 36, so an additional +1 skills for Battle Cry. (Which brings Conviction to -100% and Mastery to -95%)

*Submitting post now, possible additions/corrections later.

*Ah yes, stats. Knew I forgot something.

Str - Absolute minimum, will be str bugging anything possible on (namely Stormshield)
    Dex - Of course she's going to have 75% block
    Vit - EVERYTHING POSSIBLE!
    Energy - I can't think of a single character (I'd play) I would put any points into here.

2. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

Your build looks solid to me. I've never been a big fan of E-Shield myself so you wont get any arguments from me there.

Its exactly how I would build it myself.

Good luck!
    -hps

3. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Blizzball is a fun build and a nice change of pace from the standard Meteorb. She can definitely solo most areas of the game even without godly gear.
    Here I already see a potential issue. Just be aware that 'Infinity' will break very few cold or fire immunes. If you have 'Infinity' the convention is to just make a Pure Lightning Sorc, but if you want to be different that's fine, just don't expect it to break many immunites. It'll still reduce non-immune monsters' resistances, of course.
    You can do a whole lot better here. For one, +skills don't do anything for the Conviction aura, so Shako is definitely out. His resists will also blow chunks with this setup.

I'd suggest getting or making yourself an eth glitched 'Treachery' armor. Mercs get hit a ton, so the Fade will pretty much always be on once it triggers. The combination of good FHR and huge IAS will also keep him swinging, which helps him leech more, which keeps him alive longer.

For a helm you're basically just looking for some life leech. Tal's Mask is the cheap and easy option; Andy's Visage is a bit more stylish and will boost his native aura (not his Conviction aura). I'd suggest Holy Freeze.
    Dwarftstar would be nice to have. If you have any tasty mana/stats/res/FCR rings stashed away you might consider those too. 2x SOJ does sound a bit excessive.
    That should be 35%DR.
    Overrated. I see that you have absolutely no FHR in your setup, meaning that (without knowing your charm setup) if you get hit hard it will take you 15 frames to recover, or just over half a second. That's a long time to be rendered useless. Sandstorm Treks (20%FHR) will reduce that to 11 frames as well as grant you a nice little boost to str, vit, and poison res (convenient on any build wearing SS). Another 10%FHR from gear/charms will get it to 10 frames, and another 12% beyond that will get it to 9 frames. Too many people neglect FHR on their Sorcs and don't live to regret it; don't be one of those people.
    Also overrated; use TGod's.
    Blizzball uses Blizzard as primary and Fire Ball as secondary. You don't need to hit 105%FCR; 63% will be sufficient.
    Try to get enough lightning resist to tank Conviction Gloams (they spawn surprisingly often). At the very least you need to stay at max resists when cursed with Lower Res. Just keep that in mind.
    This looks good to me, except I would probably dump remaining points into Ice Bolt instead of Glacial. The freeze duration on Glacial should already be fine, so higher Ice Blast damage would be more beneficial for spamming in between Blizzard casts.
    I agree 100%. I'd take max block, 45%DR, and max resists with dual-absorb over any amount of EShield.
    Agreed (except that the Conviction will only be -85%).
    Wisp isn't very effective in PvM because it grants percentage absorb, whereas nearly every monster lightning attack is going to be lots of doses of relatively small damage. Percent absorb works best against big hits, which is why I recommend Dwarfstar for FE explosions. TGod's is infinitely better at countering lightning attacks than Wisp.
    Again, the Conviction level isn't affected by anything. It's -85%, period.

4. rachil0

rachil0 IncGamers Member

Max meteor instead of firebolt. Both give the same synergy bonus to fireball and meteor will be just as big of a hitter as blizzard. Meteor should be approx 7K damage. Interleave fireballs and meteors when you face CI's, just like you interleave blizzard/fireball on other things. The extra points spent on pre-reqs are marginal.

(I came out of retirement just to post this!)

5. PhatTrumpet

PhatTrumpet IncGamers Member

Rach :shocked:

I was going to mention how most people might suggest to get Meteor instead of Fire Bolt, and what my logic was for not doing so, but I forgot.

For Baals and Chaos runs, where the real exp is at, the majority of your fire spells will be aimed at Oblivion Knights, Blood Lords, and Succubi. Anyone who's tried to kill either of those with Meteor knows how annoying their movement can be, especially when you're trying to hang back and keep your Merc from killing himself on IM. I find it much more convenient and just about as effective to simply send out a stream of flaming, stun-locking goodness.

You also won't be using fire spells on stationary targets like act bosses (aside from Andy, but she's far from stationary anyway).

Keep in mind that fire is essentially just a secondary element with Blizzball. With Meteorb you spend only as many points on the cold tree as you absolutely need to in order to have a functioning Orb; the remaining points go towards your fire tree. Blizzball is the exact opposite. Those 4 skill points that went towards getting Meteor could have been 20% extra Blizzard synergy and 32% extra Ice Blast synergy. To some that's worth it; to me it wasn't.

The main advantage I see of having Meteor is being able to clip nasty packs from around corners and through doorways.

Either way your Sorc will do just fine.

6. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Primary reasoning for Firebolt over meteor is as stated by PhatTrumpet. I want those 4 points.

That's pretty much what I was looking to do. Solo every area very effectively.

I'm well aware that it will hardly break cold immunities, it's more so that for those cold immunes, my lackluster fireball damage will be amplified greatly. I'm not too hot on Light sorcs (I run a [I think level 60 light sorc just for act 3 nm])

I was under the impression that +skills added to the merc's skills, but it's nice to know that now.

This sounds like a very good option that I completely over looked. However, is this a legit item. By legit, I mean something that is potentially obtainable. I can't seem to find it listed.

I see it now, but what do you mean by glitched?

I was thinking Holy Freeze merc for the automatic chill effect, but would a Vamp Gaze not be vastly superior to either of the options you listed? That -30 Fire Resis looks disgusting on Andy's Visage, granted it can be taken care of with a rune, but what a waste of a socket.

Aye, I'm thinking Dwarf and attempting to trade for a nasty ring, if not probably will go with a nice raven.

Whoops.

I was thinking War Travs for the +Str and bit of MF it offers. I have yet to finalize my charms, but I do have a couple of sexy FHR/2nd mod smalls and grands. I too am a huge advocate of FHR, just forgot to mention it. That's what getting drunk after you're only 8 am class when the entire campus is asleep will do to you.

However the Treks do look like a sexy option, considering they offer all the same and more, without the mf.

I'm going to have this in my stash at all times, but I teleport alot and will be doing various "runs" so teleporting with 105% FCR is the least I can handle.

Aye, I was going to socket Um's and P diamond accordingly.

Assuming the monsters aren't fire immune, I'll be using Fireball. For some reason, I was thinking Ice Bolt was only for Orb, silly me.
    That point has now been driven into my skull :rolleyes:

I suppose that upgrading my gear (namely Viper and Magefists) wouldn't be a bad option either so long as it does not require extra strength.

7. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

They do.
    Level 12 conviction aura while equipped!=+12 conviction.
    It can be thought of as "+12 to 'Conviction Aura While Equipped'" but that isn't a skill that +skills would effect and is only really applicable on a dream/dream sorc.

Find an eth armour, use cube recipe to socket it.

8. rachil0

rachil0 IncGamers Member

I'd still reconsider. It's only 3 wasted points to get to meteor. I wouldn't count that fourth point that's placed into firebolt ... if you want to nail 20 synergy points on the head, just pull a point from meteor and raise it to 19 with 1 in firebolt (although imho that is clearly stupid). I wouldn't invest in a synergy you never cast when there's a very good castable synergy lower on the tree. Here's the numbers just for the sake of being well informed (all are with +14 skills): :wink:

1. This is dropping those three points into icebolt to synergize damage.
    20 Fball : 3816-4171
    20 Fbolt
    20 Iceblast: 1965-2025
    20 Blizzard: 3105-3246
    4 icebolt
    1CM (-90%)
    1FM (+128%)
    (2 prereq - gspike, f.nova)
    = ** points

2. This is dropping three points into prereqs to get down to meteor.
    20 Fball: 3816-4171
    19 Meteor: 9011-9404
    20 Iceblast: 1803-1858
    20 Blizzard: 2898-3030
    1 CM (-90%)
    1 FM (+128%)
    (7 prereq - icebolt, gspike, f.nova, firebolt, blaze, inferno, firewall)
    = ** points

I think that's really worth it - you give ~200 blizzard damage and ~150 iceblast and gain 9K meteor damage. With conviction, meteor will be by far your hardest hitting spell, probably hitting about 14K-15K per cast (just guessing ... i did 30% fire resist monster and -85% lower resist). Blizzard will peak at 6K, you cannot reduce enemy resists below -100% and you will often hit that cap with infinity and -90%CM. Meteor is really fun to use too. Iceblast (or gspike) and meteor work particularly well together.

Both of these omit the 1 point investments in TK, Teleport and SF (essentials to me). One point warmth, i could go either way. I'd agree with you and still drop all remaining points into the cold tree (icebolt) after ~92 points, by the time you hit level 95 (106 pts) (the highest i've ever done, but she's fun enough to play that it's not taxing to get there) you're looking at:

No meteor build:
    Fireball: 3816-4171
    Blizzard: 4140-4329
    Iceblast: 2772-2857

Meteor build:
    Meteor (I dropped 1 more to max it): 9399-9801
    Fireball (so this got a little better synergy): 3957-4325
    Blizzard: 3864-4040
    Iceblast: 2557-2635

(Both of these assume 1 pt TK,TP and SF)

Not much difference now ... the more points you put into blizzard synergys, the less you miss those three marginal points.

~FIN~

9. HCKull

HCKull IncGamers Member

I suggest that you use a snowclash battle belt. I found one with and it is +2 chill armor, +2 blizzard, and +3 glacial spike with some cold absorb. I was lucky that mine has +3 glacial spike as this skill is randomly picked from any of the cold tree skills.

10. bigD72

bigD72 IncGamers Member

Incorrect, the stats are always the same, except the defense and the level of Blizzard you have a chance to cast when struck.

11. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

This page agrees with BigD.

Personly, this is how I see Snowclash:

Player x is wearing Snowclash and teleports the the throne room. Player x is trying to clear the throne room. Doll pokes player x, Blizzard triggers on top of doll, doll pops, player x is smeared.

It doesn't do enough to make it worth the risk imho. I suppose its no different then wearing an Occy really, but then again I wont wear an occy either. Call me square!

-hps

12. Full_Circle

Full_Circle IncGamers Member

Blizzballer...

I thought it was a joke the first time I heard someone say that's what their sorc was. Now they're everywhere.

I'd agree with Rach's accessment. Meteor, while not that good for clearing the throne (for the reasons PT said), is exceptional vs. Waves 2 and 3, vs. Baal himself, and vs. Nihlathak.

13. LuckyDwarf

LuckyDwarf IncGamers Member

Snowclash is a decent belt for a pure blizzard sorc, but Mesh's +1 all is much more useful with its bonus to fire damage, static range, better eshield, and better teleport. However, the FCR is what makes this belt my favorite.

Lucky

14. McCain123

McCain123 IncGamers Member

Ok, some thoughts of me:
    Your merc lacks life leech. Swap the shako for a gaze and he gets leech and more dr. Upgrade the shaft and socket an Um either in the helm or in the armor and Shael in the other.

On your gear I miss some more protection against Lightning. Thundergod would be nice for higher res, absorb and +str for you Stormshield. I don´t think you need to hit 105% fcr, but if you really want it, swap Maras for a caster crafted Amu with +15% fcr. These however are pretty expensive, if you want them to get close to the other mods of a Maras.

20 Meteor > 20 Fire Bolt because Firebolt does exactly the same as Fireball, only weaker, but Meteor is great for stationary targets.

No points in energy and no Insight, make SoJs almost a must. If you go for 63% fcr, change Magefist for Frosties. Otherwise keep as many +skills as possible to get your Teleport cheap.