Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A Lack of Information (A S/U Worshipper Tournament)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Pb_pal, Apr 16, 2015.

1. srrw

srrw Diabloii.Net Member

Zoey and Diane made slow, not very safe progress through Act I. Killing speed was good in the open areas but slowed down from the outer cloister on despite my 'Axe of mass destruction'
    [​IMG]
    The first S/U was quite early and not one I really wanted to see.
    Then this beauty showed up out of nowhere
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Andy's drop was quite useful as well

Some nasty archer packs slowed me down even more in the Highland/Pits.

Just after saving cain

One thing that was quite annoying is that I found 4 total chipped topazes before the Catacombs. Where I found 5 on level 3 alone.

Zoey the Hydra/FO Sorceress and Waheed the Prayer Guard, Level 20, Act II Sewers next

Does anyone know which are the best levels to gamble for Bloodfist/Chancies/Gull?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
    Pb_pal likes this.
  2. EasyG

EasyG Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks Bladejj and BP_Pall :).

Gratz at the nagelring @srrw , awesome roll, but you may want to doublecheck at tournament rule nr 20, which forbids the use of magic/rare jewels.

3. srrw

srrw Diabloii.Net Member

I specifically checked before switching from 3-chipped-ruby Large Axe but I guess I missed only Unique ones where allowed. Oh well...

4. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Shoot! I forgot that too! Will have to toss the shield I just made with 2x chipped diamonds and a rare jewel!

5. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

Their qlvls are 12/20/6, respectively. Character level should be 5 levels above the qlvl to guarantee an ilvl that is high enough. Would really suck to gamble a failed unique (3x durability rare), eh?

6. srrw

srrw Diabloii.Net Member

It's easy to miss if you don't read carefully. I shopped for the base ~5 minutes and that's why I double checked if jewels we're allowed, still missed it!
    Thanks. And that would indeed suck!

7. Pb_pal

Pb_pal Diabloii.Net Member

Great start @srrw, and nice find on the Nagel right away!

I had a feeling the rules were going to be a little bit confusing, next time I'll have to make sure they're extra clear. :) Thanks again @EasyG for catching that!

--

Karna picked back up, eager to get out and practice with Phoenix Strike more. She cleared the above ground sections of both Lower Kurast and the Bazaar, and then decided she wanted to take a shot at some temples.

Sarina's was first, and we were greeted by some regular Flesh Hunters. No problem. Sarina's pack was met out in the big room. CoS kept her pack useless while we rained meteors on her head until they all died. In the next temple we got a little overeager and got back into a corner by a champ pack of spiders with some Wailing Beast buddies.

[​IMG]

It looks alot worse than it actually was. CoS and Mind Blast easily kept everyone at bay (although I managed to take the screenie when neither were active, woops!), but we will have to be more careful in the future! Other than that small hiccup, the rest of the temple fell without issue.

Up and through Upper Kurast we went. The Forgotten Reliquary posed no problems, and we could promptly forget about it (heh). The Forgotten Temple, however, presented us with a champ Serpent Magus pack, as well as some normal ones too for good measure, but they were dealt with easily. I always forget how insanely good Cloak of Shadows is, it's not even fair for the poor monsters (not that I'm complaining!). We got another chance to use it in the next temple:

[​IMG]

We felt pretty good after the temples, and so we kept plugging away and cleared out the Sewers, Travincal, and the Council before moving into the Durance. In here we were presented with our first PI. He was never dangerous, but took some time to kill as Phoenix Strike is still not strong enough to wipe things out super quickly on its own, and Mizan is still our big damage dealer. The rest of the Durance was cleared no problem, and Meph was nothing more than some eye candy. He focused solely on the Shadow, and with Fade on her health never got below half. That allowed Karna (and the shadow) to just keep layering meteors on him until he died.

[​IMG]

Our topaz count for the entirety of act 3 remained at 1 measly flawed topaz. So much for the chances of upgrading Karna's helm.

I'm liking Phoenix Strike more and more by the minute, and can't wait to see how it performs with a few more levels. For now the trio is resting in the Pandemonium Fortress, and will probably do some more gambling before moving on.

Other finds:
    - Cleglaw's Tooth
    - Berserker's Hatchet (Meph drop)

Karna the Phoenix Strike Assassin, with Mizan the Prayer Guard - lvl 32, Pandemonium Fortress

jiansonz and Southpaw8668 like this.
  8. Southpaw8668

Southpaw8668 Diabloii.Net Member

@Pb_pal - Clegclaw's seems to be the set of the tournament thus far. I've found two swords and gloves, now I just need to find the shield.

9. Jcakes

Jcakes Diabloii.Net Member

Ok count me into this tournament, with Ares the Holy Frost Palladin.

it has been a while since I've played D2 and I am a little rusty - it is kind of weird having to click on gold to pick it up :)

I've just killed Andy, only 2 s/u so far. Stoutnail which dropped in the Tamoe (sp?) Highland (which I am using) and Arctic Furs (on my merc) which dropped from Andy. I did make a pretty big derp and equiped the furs on my character and the topaz armor on my merc for a while ......

Topaz luck was pretty poor, only found 5 so far, hoping for some more next act. Only grabbed two screen shots, kind of forgot about them and nothing particularly interesting.

Nice shrine luck before Andy
    Screenshot001.jpg

Andy Drop
    Screenshot002.jpg

Ares the Frostleot, with Ryann the Fire Arrow Merc - Level 20, Act 2 Start

Pb_pal likes this.
  10. Pb_pal

@Jcakes - Welcome! I almost chose a frost zealot, so I'll be interested to see how you do. :) Good luck getting all the rust off!

I'll update the table in honour of our new participant. :)

--

Code:
    Table of Heroes:
    Forum Name     Class        Char Name        LVL    ACT      Area
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    EasyG          Barbarian    Ignorant         48     A1(NM)   Rogue Encampment
    jiansonz       Paladin      Beren            35     A5       Harrogath
    Southpaw8668   Paladin      Wolfswift        30     A5       Harrogath
    Pb_pal         Assassin     Karna            32     A4       Pandemonium Fortress
    kestegs        Paladin      Dauntless_Train  21     A2       Dry Hills
    srrw           Sorceress    Zoey             20     A2       Sewers
    Jcakes         Paladin      Ares             20     A2       Lut Gholein
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

11. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

At least against a "skinny" boss like this one. If it had been a Mauler, it would have burned much better (more fire patches hitting).

Pb_pal likes this.
  12. Southpaw8668

The pair have made it to the Arreat Plateau waypoint and decided to take it back to Harrogath for the night. Facing hundreds of various demons on the battlefield up to this point the two are exhausted and blood soaked to the bone. The hearty, wandering Barbarians they encountered leaving town are sorely missed as they almost sprinted to the aid us with Wolfswift's added Fanatical aura. This means often teleporting back to town for repairs of the Griswold's sword with all that constant slicing through tough demon hide. We were hoping that the blacksmith would craft us a mystical sword for saving his brethren from the wooden cages, but he offered to socket something instead. If they only had an item worth such a gesture, they decided to save it till they find something spectacular.
    In the Pit of Acheron a berserker, Demon Lord who seemed to vaporize after we pulverized him, dropped a failed Sparkling Chain Mail for Gulzar to now don, as the pair swapped armor set ups back in town. Wolfswift now has the partial Cathan's set. Perhaps one if not both of those Cathan's pieces of jewelry will drop for Wolfswift?

Sparkling Chains.jpg

Wolfswift and Gulzar, Level 37, Arreat Plateau Waypoint

Pb_pal likes this.
  13. Pb_pal

The trio set out of the Pandemonium Fortress and have been carving their way through anything and everything that gets in their way. Izual took a while to beat, but we got to watch lots of fireworks and get lots of practics getting the 2nd charge of PS off.

We finally found our first piece of wearable jewelery in the City of the Damned. It was Angelic's ring, so not the Nagelring we wanted, but still alright. At least tehre is the potential to get some MF if we find some more pieces of the set.

Onwards and upwards (downwards?) through the River of Flame, where we pounded a Fanatacism-enchanted Hephasto into the ground with meteors. The Hellforge gave us just about the most useless drop we could have gotten.

[​IMG]

We didn't care what rune we got, but not seing a topaz in there hurt. Currently all of our MF (minus 3% on a GC) is coming from Karna's helmet. We wanted to wait and hopefully get a flawless or perfect from the Hellforge to get a bigger improvement, but for now we popped 2 standard topazes in a 2-socket helm to bolster our mf to a staggering 35%.

The Chaos Sanctuary dropped us our first Unique amulet. It turned out to be Nokozan Relic which was very timely, and gave us 85% FR when faded. Can't ask for much more than that against normal Diablo. Our Lightning Res is low (~40% when faded), but there isn't much we can do about it right now.

I guess the increase to 35% MF from 18% made a difference, as De Seis dropped us Sander's Wand. Not very useful, but it was at least nice seeing some S/U's dropping at a decent rate. So we cleared out the last of the CS and the seals, which put us to lvl 35. We popped another point into Phoenix Strike, got the shadow to use fade, popped the last seal and went for Diablo.

He focused mostly on Karna, and was determined to get her with his deadly hose (he must have known she was basically fireproof). We were ready for it though, and just ran tight laps around him whenever he shot it at us. Meanwhile she scored as many meteor hits as she could in between bouts of running, and Mizan and the Shadow kept plugging away unbothered.

[​IMG]

He managed to kill Mizan once, and the Shadow twice. He never did manage to get Karna though, and eventually succumbed to the trio's relentless attack. His drop was bittersweet. It was nice to see some S/U's fall, but it also meant that Karna had to say goodbye to her MF helm. Her MF now dropped to a measly 3%. I'm really hoping we can find some set combos that add to MF, or luck out with some other MF equipment (Nagelring, Chancies, Goldwrap, ANYTHING!). I really don't want to have to burn a socket reward (once we get there) on something like Isenharts just to get some MF going.

We tested out the Hellplague that Diablo dropped, but it doesn't seem to boost the meteor damage of Phoenix Strike. The display numbers don't change at all when it is equipped, whereas you can see the increase in the display of FoF (a true "fire" skill). I figured this would be the case, as PS isn't really a "fire" skill, but it was worth a shot anyways! So Karna is now sporting 3 pieces of Isenhart's set, which gives her some decent bonuses(mostly just the AR).

So now she waits in Harrogath, and will probably do some more mass gambling before moving out of the Barbarian town for the first time.

non-S/U slots remaining: 1 ring, boots, and both shields.
    MF= 3%

Karna the Phoenix Strike Assassin, with Mizan the Prayer Guard - lvl 35, Harrogath

felixbavaria and Southpaw8668 like this.
  14. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Do you have a link for where to find unique/set item qlevels? I can't seem to find it anywhere.

@Pb_pal Glad to see you're enjoying the phoenix striker so much, it's a favorite of mine, although I'm not sure I've made one in a tournament ever. I thought I remembered my first tourney guardian being one, but it turns out it was more of a kicker trap hybrid.

Yay! Jcakes is playing D2!

Alright, some exciting things have been happening, so a little update is in order!

I ventured out into the rocky waste and it didn't take long to find something pretty nice. I already had death's gloves, but these gloves are pretty tough to beat.

And then it happened. The heaven's parted and out fell something truly amazing. Of course when it fell I was thinking: What is that? I thought maybe bane ash, but couldn't remember. When I ID'd it I was pleasantly surprised! (Screenshot was taken later) I have always looked at this item and thought it would be so cool to put that massive mana leech to use, but never could figure out a use for it, until now that is. Very rarely does a single item drastically change the game for you, but this was it. I could now charge infinitely, unless the monsters were unleachable of course. This let me play this character more as a true charger now, and I'm greatly enjoying myself!

Wide open areas are really preferred of course, so areas like maggot lair are terrible. And I also discovered a bug that I wasn't aware of (there are many charge related bugs) If you get knocked back then you will start charging away from your target, and in small very quick mana draining steps. You have to move your feet or do something else before charging again. Kinda annoying in CVT, but not so bad once I figured out the cause.

Palace was really annoying, the combination of skeletons and cold damage was painful. This character has almost no resists yet, unless I go to my 1 handed axe switch, so elemental damage is pretty dangerous. The first leg of arcane produced my first jewelry! To be perfectly honest I was really hoping for a manald heal....but all I got was this lousy thing.

Half way done with arcane now. I've tried to take some screenshot of charge play style, but it's rather difficult. Here's a tight area shot, where I can't keep knocking stuff back to charge. I'm just alternating between those 2 blood lords back and forth. The nice thing is that it always knocks the monster back, even if you don't "hit" them, and I can easily keep 2 monsters in hit recovery if they're not super far apart, so it actually can make things fairly safe.

Dauntless_Train, Charging Paladin, level 26, Arcane Sanctuary

felixbavaria and Pb_pal like this.
  15. SunsetVista

SunsetVista Diabloii.Net Member

16. Jocular

Jocular Diabloii.Net Member

I'll join this with a Sacrifice/Vengeance paladin.

20 Sacrifice
    10 Vengeance
    5 Conversion
    15 Fanat
    5 Conviction
    15 Redemption
    1 Salvation

With no +skills, that will net me 765% ED from Sacrifice alone, with another 288% from Fanat. Even if the drops suck, with that much ED% I'll have a fighting chance! A level 10 vengeance does 126% light/cold/fire damage, and with a low level conviction I think that'll be good enough for any PIs. Hopefully I'll find a lot of life leech as I won't be able to craft any blood gear! Depending on what I find I may or may not put any into holy shield.

edit: I'll definitely be using a prayer mercenary. I need the help on the front lines, not to mention the health regen.

Last edited: May 4, 2015
    Pb_pal and SunsetVista like this.
  17. Southpaw8668

Wolfswift and Gulzar have managed to dispose of yet another Prime Evil. This shot on the Summit shows the effectiveness of Gulzar's OW Bloodthief weapon. He later found a Battlebranch in WK1, so we swapped out his weapons and I'm not sure if he kills any faster without the higher LL and OW of the Bloodthief. o_O
    Screenshot008.jpg
    The pair of adventurers have assembled an effective arsenal while traveling throughout the final act. They have managed to find the following:
    -Civerb's Scepter in the Infenal Pit.
    -Cathan's Seal in the Ancient's Way, which now gives a juicy duel leech and more bonuses from three pieces in the set.
    -Gravenspine wand in Halls of Pain.
    -Isanhart's armor. Yuck! Now we can never go back to Topaz armor.
    -Death's Touch Baal dropped, now we just need the sash to complete this set.
    -Cathan's Rule that the old Necromancer's death sentence awarded us.
    -Rixot's Keen from a big chest in WK3.
    -Crown Shield with base [email protected], which we used the socket quest on and ended up with four holes. Two already plugged with perfect diamonds and we have another flawless awaiting the first gem shrine we find in NM.

Wolfswift's fanaticism speed with the Griswold's sword is just awesome. It leaves most monsters in hit recovery the entire time he is attacking them and the knockback works wonders when he starts getting mobbed. The overall killing speed is better with the Clegclaw's two piece set up, but that means losing the only MF the pair still has from the Chance Guards.

What better piece to personalize than these beauties?
    Wolfswift's Chances.jpg

Wolfswift and Gulzar, Level 47, NM Act I

Pb_pal, Jocular and SunsetVista like this.
  18. Jocular

Jocular Diabloii.Net Member

Nice progress Southpaw, and I'd forgotten how cool Griswold's sword looks! I haven't used that since my bnet days.

19. Pb_pal

@kestegs - I considered going hybrid for Karna, but decided if I was going to go Phoenix Strike, I'd go all in on it. Liking my choice so far, but we'll see later on. ;) Also, really cool to learn about charge, I'm glad you're liking it! It's one of those builds on my "always-wanted-to-try-but-don't-know-enough-about" list. So hopefully by the end of your adventure it will migrate to my "will-definitely-try-when-I-get-some-time" list. Very cool staff too, never seen that one before.

@Jocular - Awesome build! Welcome, and good luck. :)

@Southpaw8668 - Congrats on the Destroyer!

--

As previously mentioned, Karna is desperate to get some MF going. The first thing she did was spend about 250K gold gambling chain gloves and heavy belts hoping for either Chance Guards or a Goldwrap. Lots of interesting rares popped up, but sadly she came up empty in the Green and Gold department. Oh well, time to go kill some baddies and see if we can get lucky that way!

We cleared the Bloody Foothills and disposed of Shenk quite easily, and Larzuk offered to punch a hole in something for us. As tempting as it is, I'm really struggling to justify socketing something like Isenhart's just to get some MF. Regardless, we don't have a pTopaz yet, so we decided to defer the decision until we had one.

The Crystalline Passage provided us with a new armour for Kasim, which was nice. Phoenix Strike reached slvl 11 at this point, and is absolutely tearing through everything. We popped down into the frozen river and thawed Anya. Upon returning to town, we heard Malah had a rewards for us, but we must have heard wrong. All she gave us was some musty old scroll. We left it with the injured barbs in her building, figuring they would need something to read and keep them occupied while they healed.

We pushed on through the tunnels and met up with Bonesaw in his usual spot. He was nicer than Malah, and actually dropped something we could use (well technically, one of his minions did):

[​IMG]

With that, our boot slot has finally been filled. Pretty good, as if we can find 2 more pieces we can finally get some MF going. It also had the added benefit of maxing out our cold resistance as well.

After clearing the rest of the Glacial Trail and it's associated cavern, we decided to take a run down to visit old Nihlathak. First though, we burned another ~300k as before, with nothing to show for it. :( Nilly's temple was no problem, and after chasing him around his room for a while, we eventually got the bugger.

Up through the Frozen Tundra we went. The 2nd PS charge is now strong enough to kill Imps in 1 shot (most of the time), so it was much less painful than I had anticipated. We burned another pile of cash on gambling again with no results, and are now seriously considering socketing something of ours with a pTopaz. I really don't wan't to do that, but if the drops don't pick up, we might not have a choice.

Next up we cleared out the Ancient's Way and disposed of Snapchip easily. Then we decided to test the Ancients while we were there. They were quite easy, and they were all burned to death without any trouble.

[​IMG]

We decided to break there for now, and think for a while on if we truly want to burn that socket reward or not.

Other finds:
    - another Isenhart's Armour

non-S/U slots remaining: 1 ring and both shields.

Karna the Phoenix Strike Assassin, with Mizan the Prayer Guard - lvl 46, Worldstone Keep next.

jiansonz, Jocular and Southpaw8668 like this.
  20. Southpaw8668

@Jocular @Pb_pal Thank's to both of you and yes I am quite impressed with this starter sword's looks and performance. If I have the runes and nothing better presents itself I might even up it at least once to boost the damage output.