Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A Lack of Information (A S/U Worshipper Tournament)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Pb_pal, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Pb_pal

Pb_pal Diabloii.Net Member

@EasyG - Don't forget you can put the helm on your mercenary if you want to keep your barb's helm slot free until you find a second helm!

Great start guys! :)

2. kestegs

kestegs D3 Monk Moderator

Alright, mulling has been completed!

Welcome, Dauntless_Train! His teacher told him to stay in school and read books to be more tactful, but he charged out of town with a yell and never looked back! He will eventually be a Charger, once he gets a little more practice at running things down at slow speeds. I'm not 100% sure on the aura I will use, I'm leaning heavily towards Holy Freeze (Extra damage/PI solution), but could also go for conviction (If I can't hit, and PI help/ merc help) I will hopefully end up with either a lightning iron wolf or a rogue to help me, but we'll see. He will also make use of many 1 point wonders like cleansing, meditation, redemption, and salvation. I may put a few points in zeal for a few situations where charge is no good, like act bosses, but I could just use smite also. I plan on wielding the best weapon available, whether 1 or 2 handed, so no points in holy shield. The good thing is that I'm very flexible with weapons, not that I couldn't still get screwed by some bad drops though.

I've also never played a charger outside of PvP (and I sucked at it there) so we will see how this all works out, but it sounds fun and fits the theme I think!

I was going to just clear out the moor and den and call it, but then I had to keep playing so that I could make this happen. Sometimes I forget how easy the beginning is with paladin auras, almost everything gets one shotted. I've cleared the cold plains so far, but not the side areas yet. I have found many little blue circles, they initially looked far too complicated to do anything with, but Charsi was willing to pay me large amounts of money for them, which seems far better than anything I can think to do with them.

Dauntless_Train, Paladin, lvl 9 Cold plains

Pb_pal likes this.
  3. jiansonz

jiansonz Diabloii.Net Member

Absolutely. I had a Phoenix Striker-to-be in a similar tournament. The best weapon she could use for a large part of Act III was Cathan's Rule!

Beren the Paladin has completed the Maggot Lair. Or rather, his level 1 Might has helped his two mercs to progress up to that point.

He's just recieved his first point in Holy Shock. This skill being the only synergy to the main FoH damage I think I am supposed to max it. No idea, really, but it makes sense.

Trying now to fill the three remaining armor pieces with flawed topazes. A bit to go there.

S/Us found:
    * Cleglaw's Claw (Catacombs 1)
    * Arctic Furs (Catacombs 2)
    * Arctic Binding (Halls of the Dead)
    * Crushflange (Maggot Lair level 3)

So no greens or golds from Andi, but she did give me a nice Grand Charm with 16% lightning resist and +7 life.

Beren the Paladin and Jemali the Prayer guard, level 24, Lost City next

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015
    felixbavaria likes this.
  4. kestegs

Ouch, that would be rough. That's one reason I'm leaning towards holy freeze, as it allows for more damage that is independent of my weapon.

5. jiansonz

Jeebers, found another Crushflange, this time inside the Palace. So my merc's nice socketed Spetum (with chipped sapphire and Tal rune) can become illegal with any unfortunate weapon drop now. I am confident I can progress anyway if that happens, because Holy Shock is now level 3 and looks powerful enough to rely on if I need to.

I'm wearing Amulet of the Viper since I have nothing else to use there. :)

Beren the Paladin and Jemali the Prayer guard, level 26, Arcane Sanctuary next

Pb_pal and SunsetVista like this.
  6. Southpaw8668

Southpaw8668 Diabloii.Net Member

Wolfswift has finally found a Unique set of gloves and to his dismay they are ethereal. Bummer, Hand of Broc is a nice pair of duel leech gloves. He'll enjoy it while it lasts I suppose, since we've been hitting stuff for a little while without any damage to them yet. Approaching the Forgotten Tower and have elected to go solo thus far, since he's producing some pretty good damage with this white scepter found, that is perfect for his current skills.

Screenshot004.jpg

Wolfswift, Level 14, Forgotten Tower

7. EasyG

EasyG Diabloii.Net Member

I got 1 question about the 3 weapon rule:
    If I equip all 3/4 weapons at my barb by dualwielding, will the weapon slot of my merc still be available for white/grey weapons?

Andariel was crushed with much ease at p8, didnt need to go to town, but all drops were yellow, the gem was sapphire.
    Act 2 started out with some very nice drops.
    -Skewer of krintiz from some random unique at the rocky waste. This weapon makes all the difference. Now my damage matches my mercs damage and with the massive mana leech I can even randomly use find item at monsters when they are leechable.
    -My armor upgraded to an eth ringmail with 2 flawed topazes 10/14 durability now.
    -In the stony tomb lvl 3 I got a death's hand from an armor rack, combining this with the sash would be incredible nice.

In the past almost every hard challenge I did, my strategy was to make use of crowd control skills while watching my merc tank/kill stuff. This tournie im planning to do it the other way around and tank stuff myself while my merc will be the ranged one. Since an act1 merc will likely not work out very well itemwise, the plan is an act3 fire merc. Not cold, because i dont want to shatter and not lightning, because I believe they deal less damage. If I manage to get to hell and stuff gets to hard, I might switch to act3 cold merc for the cc. Does anyone have any idea what sort of bow would be required for an act1 merc to outdps an act3 merc without any fcr.

Ignorant, the conc Barbarian and Kyoto the ranger, level 22, Dry Hills

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
    Pb_pal likes this.
  8. kestegs

Fire merc is the worst of the 3, might be okay if he didn't use inferno so much, but he will. Inferno is bugged to only do 28% of the listed damage. I would expect barring a good exceptional or better bow that a a3 merc is better. I don't have the link, but if you search for "the ultimate merc guide" it has a breakdown of damage outputs for each.

9. Pb_pal

@kestegs - A charger! Sounds extremely cool, love the idea behind it. Best of luck!

@EasyG - Yes, the weapon slot would maintain white/grey for the merc. Only once all slots (including merc) have been "filled" by a S/U does the merc restriction apply. Barbs have the added benefit of being able to stretch that out a bit.

--

Karna has started her journey, and the lesson I've learned is: Fists of Fire is insane for the early game. With a couple points in FoF, and Burst of speed for increased mobility, we shredded our way through everything. Blood raven was taken out and we hired Gaile the cold rogue to help us on our journey. After Gaile joined us, we cleared the two crypts and popped down into the Cave, where we subsequently killed Coldcrow before I even realized it was her. FoF is THAT good. We moved on through the Underground Passage, and took out Treehead with no issues, grabbed the scroll and the WP, and headed back to go and save Cain so that we could start ID'ing things and get paid properly for our wares! Our topaz luck has been good so far, and it paid off in Tristram with our first Set item:

[​IMG]

It was Infernal Tools, so not terribly useful, but fun to get the ball rolling this early anyways. We popped it on Gaile for now, as Karna is still the main killer and we want to maximize her MF. After saving Cain we ID'd all the jewelery, wands, and other items with high gold potential we had saved up, and continued on our journey. Down through the Countess' Tower we went, still going through everything like a hot knife through butter, it typically takes only 1-2 full charge-ups to take out entire packs. The Countess' whole group gave us a bit of a surprise when they all spawned in the hallway outside of her main room. She dropped us a Tal for our troubles.

If I thought things were going smoothly before, they became frictionless once we hit 18 and the Shadow Warrior entered the picture. We powered our way through the rest of the act, and decided to take Andariel on /p8 for kicks (and some extra xp!). With Fade activated, and prebuffing with antidotes, we were at 85% PR, so Karna took on tanking duties. FoF absolutely melted her . Karna switched to normal attack once she was at 1/3 health, so that she didn't kill Andy by accident and miss out on Gaile's extra MF. The whole fight took less than a minute, and after Gaile scored the killing blow we were awared our first Unique of the tournament:

[​IMG]

Kinda cool getting a weapon that a mercenary can use so early. The problem is it's absolutely horrendous. Oh well, we slapped it on Karna's switch for now, and we will hope for something better to come along. :)

Karna, the Phoenix Strike Assassin - lvl 20, Lut Gholein

EDIT: I will get the table added in tomorrow, I haven't forgotten!

10. EasyG

Oh man I forgot how much fun d2 is and I discovered that the beds in palace are clickable for loot, never knew that! I update so often because each time I tell myself to stop playing for the day and then I start again haha.

So whats new?
    Halls of dead had 1 very hard room for my low dps team. It had not only that sarcophage but also those ressurecting dudes with lots of skeletons and ranged spearthrowers. Howl is a good skill to fear the skeletons and then start working at the resurrecter, which is luckily leechable, later same strategy at the sarcophage as you can see at the screenie.

The oasis presented me with Berserkers headgear, basically lowering the MF from the merc. And after that I had some scary moment im maggots lair. After my first slot with hp pots was empty I must have accidently picked up a manapot, and then when I clicked 1 and heard the cluck sound i was convinced I drank a hp potion and continued tanking the lightningbolts. I noticed just in time that my hp was still dropping rapidly and manage to jump behind my merc with a near empty hp bar. Got no screenie from it, but bit worried that my reflex didnt tell me to drink rejuv. Gotta work at my HC skills :)

Lost city presented me with my second unique, even though it was the same as the first one, it got me far less excited. Putted it at my weapon switch. As you can see the eth ringmail went to the merc and I now used the low defense beginner armor, which soon after this was replaced with a shopped armor with more defense and better topazes.

After Kyoko cleared the claw viper temple lvl 2 for me, while i safely killed the snakes that decided to attack, I still couldnt stop and continued to clear the palace. Here I dropped my 3rd unique and my 3rd weapon aswell: Steelgoad (65ed), WOW:eek:. I didnt even recall seeing any white voulges yet. Kyoko was replace by Alhizeer the Prayer guard, which is a total beast. He is pretty immortal and all monsters litterally fear him and his voulge.

Ignorant the Conc Barbarian and the scary Alhizeer the Prayer Guard, lvl 25, Arcane sacntuary

SunsetVista, kestegs and Pb_pal like this.
  11. Pb_pal

Great progress everyone! Stay safe out there. :)

@EasyG - Great find on the Steelgoad, glad to see you're having fun!

--

Code:
    Table of Heroes:
    Forum Name     Class        Char Name        LVL    ACT      Area
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    jiansonz       Paladin      Beren            26     A2       Arcane Sanctuary
    EasyG          Barbarian    Ignorant         25     A2       Arcane Sanctuary
    Pb_pal         Assassin     Karna            20     A2       Lut Gholein
    Southpaw8668   Paladin      Wolfswift        14     A1       Forgotten Tower
    kestegs        Paladin      Dauntless_Train  9      A1       Cold Pains
    srrw           Sorceress    Zoey             1      A1       Rogue Encampment

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12. EasyG

Thanks for the info kesteg! Here is the post about act3 merc damage/shot.
    It's this post that made me think lightning merc is worse. But ye now I see the inferno skill is one of these bugged skills that deal less damage as listed. It looks like the cold merc has by far the best dps, and on top of that the crowd control from freezing and extra survivability from frozen armor!
    If I find an nice bow i might go for fire rogue :p

PS
    @Southpaw8668 Make sure to check tournie rule 16 example 4, from your screenie I think you overlooked this rule.

edit: A few posts later in the merc guide is noted that the guide is wrong about the act3 light merc since the guide forgot the synergy between the lightning skills, and the act3 light merc actually dishes out tons of damage.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
    Pb_pal likes this.
  13. Southpaw8668

@EasyG - Ah yes, good catch. I completely overlooked the magical jewelry rule, I thought Pb_pal was referring to not wearing rares. I'll remove all crappy blue jewelry immediately.

@Pb_pal - Let me know if I should start another character after my infraction to rule 16, example 4. Donning magical jewelry.:eek:

Wolfswift hired Gulzar and has nabbed the cube. Nothing too exciting has happened in the desert so far, however we have managed to pick up a Death's Hand pair of gloves from a random crypt in Catacombs 1. He'll have a backup pair now once The Hand of Broc finally fall apart.

Wolfswift and Gulzar, Level 19, Far Oasis

14. Pb_pal

No don't worry about restarting, just continue on with Wolfswift. It wouldn't have made a terribly huge difference at this stage anyways. Everybody makes mistakes, and the rules can be a bit confusing sometimes. :)

@EasyG - Thanks for linking the merc guide, there is some good info in there for sure!

--

Just a small update for Karna.

Upon arriving at Lut Gholein, Gaile informed her that she was homesick and wanted to go back with her sisters. Karna reluctantly let her go, and then paid a visit to Greiz to get ourselves a new companion. Alhizeer the Blessed Aim merc was selected to join the team, and gameplay changed completely. We popped our Tal rune into a 2-socket spetum, and he now killed so fast that it hardly slowed us down and we could take advantage of his added MF.

So the first task was to go and get the cube. We plodded our way through everything, first taking a detour down to visit Creeping Feature, who dropped like a sack of potatoes. After that we proceeded down into the Halls of the Dead and retrieved the cube without issue.

After returning to town with the cube, Atma just wouldn't leave us alone so we decided to hear her out. We figured it would be a good choice to get in the good books of the tavern owner, so we agreed to go down into the sewers to kill this creature she keeps mentioning. Besides, it killed her husband AND son, so it was kind of tough to turn her down. So we travelled through the sewers and finally found who she was looking for. We decided that burning to death was a suitable way for him to go.

After the flames died away, Karna excitedly looked to see what he had left us. A book? A stupid filthy BOOK?! What a waste! Karna couldn't even be bothered to bring it back to town to see if she could sell it, it could rot down here with Radament's carcass instead. Oh well, Karna decided to stop here and have a couple drinks with Atma for the time being.

Karna, the Phoenix Strike Assassin with Alhizeer the Blessed Aim Guard - lvl 21(or 22), Far Oasis next

EasyG likes this.
  15. jiansonz

Act II completed without problems.

Green/Gold finds:
    * Cleglaw's Pincers (Arcane Sanctuary)
    * Nagelring (18%) (Arcane Sanctuary)
    * Axe of Fechmar (Tomb #3) => merc became weaponless, Beren does nearly all killing with Holy Shock
    * Isenhart's Horns (Tomb #5 - Ancient Kaa's)
    * Crushflange (True tomb) <- My third, and my second with perfect ED roll (+60%)
    * Gorefoot (True tomb)

Of course, the Axe of Fechmar drop changed the whole gameplay. A drop in effective MF, since the merc hardly does any damage now. It was a lot of fun shattering each and every (non-boss) enemy. Addictive in a way.

I really like that Holy Shock is so good and doesn't even cost any mana. Whenever I want to pack a little extra punch, I use Vengeance instead of Attack.

I've pumped Conversion a few levels, as it's my favourite Paladin skill and I know it will be of great use.

The shield I used against Duriel is a socketed Heraldic Shield with a flawed diamond (16% resist all). It has good blocking (50%, same as a Bone Shield). I suppose I can only equip this shield if I have Cleglaw's Claw on the switch (and thus use a 1-handed weapon, (i.e. another Crushflange) there instead of my freezing axe), right? OK, maybe I could get around this by hiring an Iron Wolf and stick Cleglaw's shield on him, but that's not going to happen because I am set on the Prayer merc.

Normal bosses are almost impossible to get Jemali to kill (I have 3 seconds lasting poison and that's usually not enough. Boss starts to regenerate, I hit it again and eventually happen to kill it because of my large damage range) but Duriel does not regenerate. Jemali's puny damage on display (and that is with Might help...):
    [​IMG]

Didn't help for the drop - a TP scroll and five rares.

Beren the (for now) Holy Shock Paladin and Jemali the Prayer guard, level 28, Kurast Docks

16. Pb_pal

That sounds right. The way I see it, using a 2-handed weapon means you only have 1 shield spot, so it would be required to be filled by a S/U if you have one. As you stated, you could use an Iron Wolf to get around this if you so desired.

Nice job on completing Act 2!

17. EasyG

Nice readings and gz jiansonz with the nagelring, that will be usefull :)

After the little break at arcane sanctuary, it was time for Ignorant to continue his adventure, because sitting in town wasnt his thing. The rest of act2 went extremely easy with the powerfull Alhizeer. I decided to spend 2 skillpoints for increased speed, because it will likely be a good investment anyway, making the differences between catching diablo's lightning or avoiding it.

Drops in act2 at chronological order:

-Cathans Mesh: This drop seemed terrible. The armor is nothing better as a white armor and a serious amount of MF was lost. Only 1 armor left with 1 normal and 1 flawed topaz.
    -A 2nd Steelgoad, this time with 72ED. I tryed using it myself, but realy prefer the faster attackspeed and manasteal with skewer of krintiz.
    -Cathan's seal: Lifeleech! Also 2set bonus of cathan adds 15-20 firedamage! sweet :), but using the mesh at merc for now to have my MF at all kills.

In one of the tombs I got myelf stuck when I charged in to kill one of the resurrecters (from which I just cant remember the name :p. So many mobs surrounded me that even howl didnt help anymore. However, the massive barbarian healthpool and defense + the prayer aura made the situation far from dangerous. I just needed to wait for Alhizeer to free me again.

-Coif of glory in the single last tomb finished of my goldrush of act2. Not really an improvement, but might be usefull later when light resist is needed.

Duriel at /p8 was way to easy. Alhizeer tanked and didnt even need a potion, besides the thawing potion he got.
    No drops, allthough they sold for over 20k gold total. Act 2 completed :)

ACT 3, The meeting with an Iron Wolf

Alhizeer stayed behind in the desert and so a junglespecialist was hired: Jelani, the lightning Iron Wolf.
    This guy is just one big disappointment haha.

The thing with a lightning Iron Wolf is that he does only 1 thing: Damage.
    He doesnt provide a supporting aura, he doesnt take hits for me and he cant proc effects like poison, open wounds, crushing blow, knockback, stun or fear. No all he does is dealing damage. And he is terrible at it.

A few posts ago, I described how im used to hide behind my merc watching him kill stuf in HC and that I wanted to do it the other way around. Jelani takes this very serious:
    [​IMG]
    While im fighting. Jelani is usually hiding behind a wall. shooting the wall with lightning. Or he is randomly walking around searching for treasures or something, but he hardly ever helps me killing stuff. And even if he does, he hardly deals damage :mad:
    Alhizeer killed 2 maybe 3x faster as me. Jelani kills like twice slower as me. I find myself porting back to town every 5 minutes to repair my sword since im using it all the time, while with Alhizeer, I did spend most of my time opening chests picking gold etc, while he killed stuff.

BTW that spider (or maybe another one, since looking at the screenie, this one seems to have cold enchanted) you see at the screenie above was a horror. Those spiders usually walk away leaving a trail of web behind them when on low HP. This spider had teleportation, twice i had him low, he ported over a wall and regenerated back to full life. Eventually I killed him in the topright corner of the map.

The best drop so far came in flayer jungle: Chance guards! not only 29 MF, but also decent defense and attack rating and offcourse from now on, I drop massive gold piles. :cool:

Hitting lvl 30 was great. Natural resistance and battlecommand made me a lot stronger and on top of this, I dropped not much later a Sigon's guard. Thanks to the +10 strength from my second skewer of krintiz, Jelani was able to wield this shield and now he has +2 to skills. He also has an impressive 57% chance to block according to block rate calculator, because of the +10 dex from the same sword.

Just before leaving the flayer jungle I also looted a cleglaw's tooth (green long sword), but forgot to screen it. After this I quickly ran through lower kurast to find the wp and took a break to write this down :)

@Pb_pal Im wondering now if im forced to dualwield 2 swords, or if it is ok if I keep using a socketed shield next to my 1handed sword until I find another s/u shield. Or offcourse I can stash my 2handed spear and put the cleglaw's tooth at weaponswitch, but then ill have the same question again, when I drop another singlehanded weapon.

bladejj likes this.
  18. Pb_pal

First off, great progress and some good finds there!

Past S/U worshipper tournament typically had a caveat where you had to equip as many possible S/U as you could on your character and mercenary at all times. I left that out of this tournament to free up mercenary choices a bit, but now that leaves me with a bit of a grey area with respect to dual-wielding.

The way I originally planned out the rules is that if an equipment slot can be filled with a S/U, it must be. Similar to the scenario jiansonz has come across where a 2-hander means he only has one shield slot to deal with, a barbarian can potentially have 4 weapon slots to deal with (or 2 weapon/2shield). This can either be favourable for the barb (in terms of stalling having to make your merc go weaponless longer than other classes), or detrimental (losing a shield slot where other classes wouldn't). I think those two potential scenarios balance themselves out.

Based on this, you should be dual-wielding S/U until you find an appropriate shield, at which point you can switch back to weapon/shield combo if you want. If you find a fourth 1-hander before finding a shield, then all your weapon/shield slots will be dedicated to S/U, and it is up to you how you want to fill them within those confines (1-handers vs 2-handers).

I think this makes the most sense, given the spirit of the tournament.

TL;DR - dual wield until you find a shield. :p

EasyG likes this.
  19. jiansonz

Nice going there with Ignorant.
    Barbs need some luck with weapons to go far (at a tolerable speed, at least) in a tourney like this.
    I made Guardian with a Concentrate Barb in the very first S/U Worshipper tourney (I was the tourney host).
    His progress was slow all the way to Hell Hellforge where the right rune dropped so I could upgrade his Fleshrender to elite. His merc? A lightning mage. :)

I don't think he does - I read somewhere that mercs can't block.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  20. Southpaw8668

Wolfswift and Gulzar have been crushing everything in their path. Level 4 zeal and a point in concentration really works wonders. Neither of them get interrupted very often, unless the vipers started ganging up on Gulzar. At which time Wolfswift would have to step in and show him how its done, with style and speed slinging around his 2 flawed emerald flail.
    And wouldn't you know it, Dark Elder drops a pair of Cleclaw gloves, jeez can I get something we can use already? Perhaps the remaining pieces of the Cleclaw or Death set? :D Just finished clearing the first leg of the Arcane Sanctuary and we're heading back to the Tavern for the night.

Wolfswift and Gulzar, Level 21, Arcane Santuary