Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A hypothetical religious question

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Maverikk, Feb 9, 2004.

1. Maverikk

Maverikk IncGamers Member

A hypothetical religious question

This isn't a bash religion thread or dissect religion thread. I hope in that case it'll be an exception to the "only one religion thread per page" rule.

Anyway, say that you're a devote person of a certain religion and you meet a significant other that happened to be an atheist or an agnostic (at the very least, another religion.) This person seems nice and all, and eventually...well, you marry, mate, unify, yadda yadda you get the picture. From that union you concieve a child, and this is where my question sets in.

Would you force the child to take up your religion out of fear that it won't be "saved" (or what have you..) at the end of it's life, or would you let the significant other decide out of loyalty of them? Would you maybe take the nuetral path and let the child decide instead?

2. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

If they wanted to go to church I would encourage them to but if they didn't then I wouldn't force them to.

3. th5418

th5418 Banned

Id let them choose their own path. I wont be pickering them to be religious with me.

4. Wuhan_Clan

Wuhan_Clan IncGamers Member

It would be difficult for a child to choose his own path from an early age. The parents would have the work this out between them and the answer would be different from couple to couple.

It would be nice if the child could mature and then decide what he believes but this is rarely the case. As a kid, our greatest influence is still our parents.

5. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Well I know this is kinda breaking the rule but, the people I know(including myself) that are religious wouldn't marry a person that wasn't a believer in the same God. In my case it would be any form of Christian. I wouldn't make it mandatory for them to be the exact same denomination as me(too small of a group) but believing in Jesus is a must for me.

I would take them to church and let them see some of the good things about religion unlike the bastardized version the media seems to be putting out all the time.

6. Pierrot le Fou

Pierrot le Fou IncGamers Member

I was raised by an atheist father, and a quaker mother. My mother made me go to Quaker 'meeting' until 13, and then gave me the option of reading the Bible instead. I took the latter. Basically she exposed me to it, but didn't force me to adopt it. She is not concerned with me going to Hell or anything, but she is of the belief that if you're a good person, God will know anyway.

I would expose my child to as many religions (and non-religions) as possible, and then let them decide what they want when they get old enough to make that choice. Not that I really have a religion or anything, but I would like them to at least have a perspective on as many as possible.

7. Steel_Avatar

Steel_Avatar IncGamers Member

Well, since PLF is fathering my children, I'm very happy to say that I agree with his ideas on the subject :)

8. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

I'm much like Spazed, except in the exact opposite ways. I wouldn't marry any religious person so it's hard for me to picture this situation.

I think I'd be dead set against teaching my child any religion. I'd be rather disappointed if he/she took it up. I'd rather see my child worshiping an empty box of fruit rollups than any modern mainstream religion.

9. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

If I were in that situation (which I never would be because I would not date anyone unless, like me, they refuse to accept any higher power), I would fiercely insist that my child believe in him/herself rather than in what I consider fairy tales. But, if my offspring grew older and genuinely wished to follow religion, I would not hold it against him/her as a person, but I would make sure it was a choice they had thought out in detail.

10. Steel_Avatar

Behold thy saviour* in all His glory!

:D

*please note the correct (i.e. Queen's English) spelling of saviour (like colour, you damned colonial heathens :p )

11. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

HALLELUIAH, BROTHER!!! :worship:

Correct spelling noted and appreciated. Damn colonial literary interlopers. :D

12. giantpinkbunnyhead

giantpinkbunnyhead IncGamers Member

Now THERES something I can worship! Except do you have the chocolate flavor?

13. Steel_Avatar

Uh, double-yew tee eff?

Chocolate is not a fruit :p

14. Pierrot le Fou

While your honour is impeccable, you will need some armour to protect yourself since you've placed yourself in the centre of this theatre of the war on grammar, where you're either with us or against us, and there is no grey area in the middle.

15. Steel_Avatar

As the father of my children, I expect you to defend me :D

16. Pierrot le Fou

I thought we both agreed that *I* get to be the mother this time.

:: notes thread address for future potential divorce proceedings ::

Seriously though, on topic, Anakha, I can't believe you'd be so opposed to your child being exposed to religion. While you may not agree with it, making it forbidden ain't exactly gonna help your cause, any more than forcing your kid into it will (look at Felstrom!). I think the best is the middle-ground, expose them to the choices, and let them decide what they want to do.

17. Anakha1

Anakha1 Banned

When I said I'd be dead-set against it, I didn't mean I'd forbid it. I'd just be strongly opposed towards it and I'd be disappointed in my child if he or she took up religion. I think it's an unhealthy and immoral belief system. I can expose them to it, but I'll intensly discourage its practice.

18. Zkin

Zkin IncGamers Member

Me and my girlfriend are having a baby this summer.

hopefully he/she will end up as a normal non religious human being.
    i wont support her or him in religious activities, (since if i do that its only a matter of time before my cute daughter/son start trying brainwashing me.)

i dont hate any religion, or any believers, i just dont want anything to do with it.

the world are already messed up, so why bother with another mess.

19. Drosselmeier

Drosselmeier IncGamers Member

Pretty much what Le Fou has said already.

I don´t think it´s a good way to force someone into the fold. A child who is forced into a religion will not develop faith and will rebel at some point. I don´t think a ban on religion is a good way either. It´s unfair to the child to forbid it to explore its spirituality based on your religious opinions and likely it won´t work either.

The only two routes that seem viable to me are to either expose the child to religion and let it make its own mind up, or raise the child in a religion-free enviroment and let the child explore religion if it wishes.

I would definitely try to explain as much of religion in general and different faiths as possible... if nothing else then just for the sake of education. If my child wanted to attend a church I would go with him/her. Since I´m an agnostic I would obviously never drag my child to church.

EDIT: CONGRATS ZKIN! :thumbsup:

20. Ezcabe

Ezcabe IncGamers Member

You sicken me.