Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A healthy dose of paranoia

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Ikeren, Oct 24, 2006.

1. Ikeren

Ikeren Diabloii.Net Member

A healthy dose of paranoia

I just had a really strange MSN conversation with somebody I've never met, or heard of, from Pakistan, who was convinced I am a girl. I was trying to figure out how he kept getting my e-mail (because this is the third time I've blocked and deleted him).

Some of the stuff I said was a lie, when I started to get really creeped out: My age got +6 years, a couple other things. Using a find and replace, his name was replaced with "Him" (note the occasional third person refernence). Equally, mine was replaced with "Me"

So how does something like this happened? I virus scan regularily, I don't visit shady sites, I don't download anything.

I feel vaugly bad, maybe he was just a polite stranger who saw my e-mail somewhere. But I was kinda creeped out. Did I do the right thing?

2. Unchosen

Unchosen Diabloii.Net Member

You are a bad person.
    You should have given him your full name and address and offered to pose nude in a variety of costumes.

How rude.

3. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

He probably just wanted help transferring millions from an off shore account. You're an evil bastage.

Seriously though, just ban him next time, no need to talk.

4. bg1256

bg1256 Diabloii.Net Member

ditto

hkgukjfjuyrdtyurds

5. Dondrei

Dondrei Diabloii.Net Member

I read that about two thirds of the way through and then just decided I'd had enough. Man, I so would've ended that conversation about five lines in.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't be on MSN to begin with.

6. Lord Nyax

Lord Nyax Banned

Wow, awesome. There were so many points in that conversation where I would have said something like: Okay, creepy dude, see yah later!

And then it would be so over...the part where he started talking about how it was "bad to tease" or whatever...that's some seriously whacked stuff. You were...way more than polite. Some guy you don't know messages you, keeps on prodding you for personal information, and refuses to let you know how or from where he knows you. That's an auto-Alt F4.

7. Quietus

Quietus Diabloii.Net Member

You offered him a great deal of information without him asking - why? Why did he need to know you were in Ontario? What does it matter? I'd imagine a first name would be a little less of personal information than a geographic region. =/

All in all, I would have blocked him much earlier - the moment I heard him say a/s/l at least, if not earlier. I can't stand people who can't be bothered to ask for personal information in some kind of coherent sentence that makes it at least SOUND like they care.

8. WildBerry

WildBerry Diabloii.Net Member

I do see where Ikeren is coming from. As has been noted, he was more than polite - but that's because, I believe, he wants to be that way. I've encountered similiar incidents - although nothing that, uh, forthcoming - but I've kept on discussing with total strangers, even apparently unintelligible, over the internet, just to see what they're up to.

Ikeren, sometimes the linguistical barrier is just too much. Could be that he was "polite stranger", though based on his fixation on your gender, I doubt it very much. But I'd say, based on his replies, that he did not nigh understand half of the things you said to him. Now, I'm not saying everyone should type English as well as you do and be so well versed in it's finesse - but if you (this goes out to Him) pick a medium of communication, you had better ensure you have some aptitude in it, if you wish favourable discussions. Bottom line is your politeness is wasted to a person who has not the capacity to appreciate it's politeness. Don't fret yourself over it.

9. Thelioness

Thelioness Diabloii.Net Member

A polite stranger? He wouldn't answer your repeated question as to how he got your email and yet you think of him as polite? Then you gave up personal information, including interests, your location, and age; yet, I don't see any of that sort of personal information from him.

He thought you were a girl, and was upset that you were not. Which to me means he wasn't just a stranger looking to practice his english.

Next time something like this happens, simply tell the person that if they can't tell you how they got your email to contact you that you will block them and then do it.

10. Ariadne

Ariadne Diabloii.Net Member

How unusual.....
    Yeah I would have ended that convo ages ago, and blocked him. Saying something like "look I've asked you something, you can answer the question or wonder why I don't want to talk to you..."

11. skihard

skihard Banned

he wants to fondle you like an alter boy

12. {KOW}Spazed

{KOW}Spazed Banned

Do wait, do you mean alter boys have a specific way of fondling or being fondled?

13. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

Both {KOW}, he means both.

Strange word, both.

Anyway, I used to have that kind of thing happen all the time on ICQ in waaay back in the dark ages of the internet known as the 90's. Crazy people jump on and start saying some crazy stuff. Naturally me, a up and coming smartarse, jumped at the chance to twist their words, make innuendo and generally make fun of them in obscure and rotten ways. Sadly nobody ever wants to do that anymore.

14. Dondrei

Dondrei Diabloii.Net Member

Did you just do that thing where you say a word too many times and it starts to sound weird?

In-YOUR-endo!

15. Ikeren

Ikeren Diabloii.Net Member

The reason I gave up personal information is because I was trying to find a common link to figure out where he got the e-mail address. I listed my age as 24, which was a lie. And Ontario is fairly big (the idea behind Canada, and all, is big :grin: )

16. Sir EvilFreeSmeg

Sir EvilFreeSmeg Banned

The only personal information you should ever give out is