A healthy dose of paranoia

Ikeren

Diabloii.Net Member
A healthy dose of paranoia

I just had a really strange MSN conversation with somebody I've never met, or heard of, from Pakistan, who was convinced I am a girl. I was trying to figure out how he kept getting my e-mail (because this is the third time I've blocked and deleted him).

Some of the stuff I said was a lie, when I started to get really creeped out: My age got +6 years, a couple other things. Using a find and replace, his name was replaced with "Him" (note the occasional third person refernence). Equally, mine was replaced with "Me"

So how does something like this happened? I virus scan regularily, I don't visit shady sites, I don't download anything.

Him says:
hi
Him says:
salam
Me - He who walks the path of the twisted kingdom. says:
Hello.
Do I know who you are?
Him says:
how r u
Good, but I still don't know who you are.
Could you please tell me how you got this e-mail address?
Him says:
i am Him
Him says:
we r chating 4 the first time
Okay.
Where did you get my e-mail address?
And why are you talking to me?
Him says:
u don't want to chat with me
I don't mind, but I'd like to know where you got this e-mail first.
Him says:
is it bad thing to chat
Generally, you don't add strangers to your chat-list, unless you can explain where their e-mail came from.
Him says:
i have added u from some farwarded mail zonia
Okay. I don't suppose you know what forwarded mail?
Him says:
i am sorry
Him says:
u r angry
I am in Canada, Ontario. Where do you live?

I am not angry. I don't get angry. I am just confused as to how this occured.
Him says:
what occured zoian
Him says:
zonia
I am in Canada, Ontario. Where do you live?
(You getting and adding my e-mail)
Him says:
hmm
Him says:
r u muslim
I am between religions at the time, so that would not be the source of such an e-mail forward.
Do you play computer games at all?
Him says:
ya
Him says:
i do
Him says:
whenever i get time
Anything by Blizzard Entertainment, Diablo II or Starcraft perhaps? How about Sony Entertainment's "EverQuest"?
Him says:
array
Him says:
bus thoday bhooat khelta hoon
Him says:
itnay zayada nahin
What language is that?
Him says:
ohh
Him says:
sorry i thought u can read urdu
Urdu!?
Him says:
its a language
Him says:
of pakistan
I know. You speak Urdu?
Are you from Pakistan?
Him says:
hmmmm
Him says:
why
Him says:
they r not good people na
I have nothing against the people of Pakistan.
Him says:
then
Him says:
is this u in the picture
I believe a few of the politcal leaders are not very good. But some of my own nations politcal leaders are bad.
Him says:
what us ur asl ?
Nope - a friend.
24, Male, Canada.
Him says:
but zonia is a name of females don't u think
*shrug*, generally, perhaps. I used it as a name for a male fantasy character 15+ years ago and haven't bothered to change it.
Him says:
ok
Him says:
but is it bad
Him says:
to tease some one
Everyone who speaks with me knows that I am a guy, for the most part.
Plus, zonia, the way I thought of it as a kid, was with 3 syllables - zone - ee -- ahh. The female pronunciation would be Sonia, with a softer z...
Him says:
i can't under this chemistry
Him says:
but i knw one thing to tease some one is bad
True. But it isn't meant as a tease, merely an accident of interpretations.

How many languages do you speak fluently? Obviously, 2 (Urdu and English). Anything else?
Him says:
nope
I am very bad with languages...I only speak English, and a bit of French...plus the smattering of odd words that I've picked up else where.
Him says:
can i ask to see ur ral picture plz
I don't have one, I apologize.
Him says:
ok
Him says:
u have seen my pic na
It changed out, I wasn't really paying attention. I am still trying to figure out which mailing list we both got...are you part of the anti-genocide convention for the Darfur region of Sudan?
Him says:
nooooooooooo
Him says:
what is that
People being killed in a specific area of Sudan. Really bad stuff.
Him says:
ru making fun of me
Him says:

No.
What makes you think that?
Him says:
u sound so
I don't really understand.
Him says:
what makes u think that i am from sudan
I never said that I thought you were from Sudan. I asked if you were part of an info group regarding it, because they may have given you my e-mail. Can you please try to find the e-mail forward that had my e-mail in it?
Him says:
if u don't want too chat
Him says:
then block me
Him says:
i dont want to make think very deply
Him says:
bye
Bye...
(The problem with blocking you, is that I have blocked two other "farhamrehman###" in the last year or two, and this name keeps popping up again)
Him says:
sorry
Again, it doesn't bother me, I just want to know why?
Him says:
u r not a gurl then why u have problem with Him
I never said I had a problem with you. I just want to know the explination of this.
Him says:
ur real name
No thank you.
Him says:
thanks 4 what
I do not wish to tell you my real name.
Him says:
u r behaving like a girls
Him says:
girl
Him says:
what if u tell me
I am not a girl. Even if I was, how would it make this conversation any different?
Him says:
telling a name is safe dear
You are very, very, wrong.
A healthy degree of paranoia is safe. Telling someone I don't know my name over the internet who is behaving a little bit suspiciously is not safe.
I assure you once more that I am male, and even if I wasn't, it doesn't matter.
Him says:
okkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Him says:
huh
Him says:
u r impossible
Him says:
i will not ask u
Him says:
anying thing
Okay. Good. Did you figure out where you got my e-mail from yet? If you could tell me, I would be much less suspicious.
Him says:
nooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Might consider working on that. Do you know how long ago you added my name to your chat program?
Him says:

Him says:
i am sorry
Him says:
i have added u
Him says:
bye for ever
Why is that?
Okay. Goodbye.
Him says:
i have made a terrible mistake that i have added u
Okay.
Bye.
Him says:
I feel vaugly bad, maybe he was just a polite stranger who saw my e-mail somewhere. But I was kinda creeped out. Did I do the right thing?

Unchosen

Diabloii.Net Member
You are a bad person.
You should have given him your full name and address and offered to pose nude in a variety of costumes.

How rude.

He probably just wanted help transferring millions from an off shore account. You're an evil bastage.

Seriously though, just ban him next time, no need to talk.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
I read that about two thirds of the way through and then just decided I'd had enough. Man, I so would've ended that conversation about five lines in.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't be on MSN to begin with.

Lord Nyax

Banned
Wow, awesome. There were so many points in that conversation where I would have said something like: Okay, creepy dude, see yah later!

And then it would be so over...the part where he started talking about how it was "bad to tease" or whatever...that's some seriously whacked stuff. You were...way more than polite. Some guy you don't know messages you, keeps on prodding you for personal information, and refuses to let you know how or from where he knows you. That's an auto-Alt F4.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
You offered him a great deal of information without him asking - why? Why did he need to know you were in Ontario? What does it matter? I'd imagine a first name would be a little less of personal information than a geographic region. =/

All in all, I would have blocked him much earlier - the moment I heard him say a/s/l at least, if not earlier. I can't stand people who can't be bothered to ask for personal information in some kind of coherent sentence that makes it at least SOUND like they care.

WildBerry

Diabloii.Net Member
I do see where Ikeren is coming from. As has been noted, he was more than polite - but that's because, I believe, he wants to be that way. I've encountered similiar incidents - although nothing that, uh, forthcoming - but I've kept on discussing with total strangers, even apparently unintelligible, over the internet, just to see what they're up to.

Ikeren, sometimes the linguistical barrier is just too much. Could be that he was "polite stranger", though based on his fixation on your gender, I doubt it very much. But I'd say, based on his replies, that he did not nigh understand half of the things you said to him. Now, I'm not saying everyone should type English as well as you do and be so well versed in it's finesse - but if you (this goes out to Him) pick a medium of communication, you had better ensure you have some aptitude in it, if you wish favourable discussions. Bottom line is your politeness is wasted to a person who has not the capacity to appreciate it's politeness. Don't fret yourself over it.

Thelioness

Diabloii.Net Member
I just had a really strange MSN conversation with somebody I've never met, or heard of, from Pakistan, who was convinced I am a girl. I was trying to figure out how he kept getting my e-mail (because this is the third time I've blocked and deleted him).

Some of the stuff I said was a lie, when I started to get really creeped out: My age got +6 years, a couple other things. Using a find and replace, his name was replaced with "Him" (note the occasional third person refernence). Equally, mine was replaced with "Me"

So how does something like this happened? I virus scan regularily, I don't visit shady sites, I don't download anything.

I feel vaugly bad, maybe he was just a polite stranger who saw my e-mail somewhere. But I was kinda creeped out. Did I do the right thing?
A polite stranger? He wouldn't answer your repeated question as to how he got your email and yet you think of him as polite? Then you gave up personal information, including interests, your location, and age; yet, I don't see any of that sort of personal information from him.

He thought you were a girl, and was upset that you were not. Which to me means he wasn't just a stranger looking to practice his english.

Next time something like this happens, simply tell the person that if they can't tell you how they got your email to contact you that you will block them and then do it.

Ariadne

Diabloii.Net Member
How unusual.....
Yeah I would have ended that convo ages ago, and blocked him. Saying something like "look I've asked you something, you can answer the question or wonder why I don't want to talk to you..."

Both {KOW}, he means both.

Strange word, both.

Anyway, I used to have that kind of thing happen all the time on ICQ in waaay back in the dark ages of the internet known as the 90's. Crazy people jump on and start saying some crazy stuff. Naturally me, a up and coming smartarse, jumped at the chance to twist their words, make innuendo and generally make fun of them in obscure and rotten ways. Sadly nobody ever wants to do that anymore.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Both {KOW}, he means both.

Strange word, both.
Did you just do that thing where you say a word too many times and it starts to sound weird?

Anyway, I used to have that kind of thing happen all the time on ICQ in waaay back in the dark ages of the internet known as the 90's. Crazy people jump on and start saying some crazy stuff. Naturally me, a up and coming smartarse, jumped at the chance to twist their words, make innuendo and generally make fun of them in obscure and rotten ways. Sadly nobody ever wants to do that anymore.
In-YOUR-endo!

Ikeren

Diabloii.Net Member
The reason I gave up personal information is because I was trying to find a common link to figure out where he got the e-mail address. I listed my age as 24, which was a lie. And Ontario is fairly big (the idea behind Canada, and all, is big :grin: )