Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

[Guide] A guide to farming Act 1 Inferno

Discussion in 'Demon Hunter' started by cursedDice, Jul 9, 2012.

1. cursedDice

cursedDice Diabloii.Net Member

I have spent about 100 hours farming Act 1 Inferno, and would like to share my thoughts on it.

For most of those 100 hours I have done my runs with about 225 base GF and MF (including the bonus from my Templar... <3 my templar). I have never done gear swapping for Magic Find. I find stacks of 2000+ gold routinely and I find many of my rares and legendaries off of normal white mobs. Gear swapping slows down each kill and you never get the benefits from MF when killing whites.

The gear and skill setup I have been running is tuned for killing quickly, moving quickly, and not dying (just barely). The idea is to kill each and every Monster you come across quickly and keep moving. The faster you can move through the level, and the less downtime in between each fight, means you will find more elite packs per hour...which is what we are really after...but along the way you will kill many, many white mobs and profit from them as well (they drop lots of gold with + GF gear, plenty of blues and rares to salvage and sell with +MF gear ALWAYS equipped, gems, etc...)

I have currently picked up about 15 million gold (you can track this via the achievement) and sold at least 5,000 exquisite essences (they seem to fluctuate between 1 and 2k gold) ...which equates to about 6 - 7 million more gold. Finally I have made at least 40 million from the auction house (low estimate, could be more) for items that I have found.

This all equates to making about 750,000 Gold per Hour...and I save and give away lots of items that I could sell on the AH...so that number could easily approach 1,000,000 per hour. I have found about 20 legendaries / set items in that time (I can't wait for the legendary buffs, so I can be happy when I find them)...5 of which have been good sellers on the AH.

Skill Choice

Evasive Fire - [DB=http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skill/demonhunter/evasive-fire#covering-fire]Covering Fire[/DB]: Generates 4 Hatred as opposed to the other Hatred Generator's 3 (without rune upgrades). Provides full screen coverage in a wide arc that hits instantly. It also happens to deal the most damage of the hatred generators the quickest...if it hits 3 targets it hits for 375% weapon damage INSTANTLY...no waiting for a hungering arrow to pierce 3 times, or waiting 2 seconds for a bola to explode, etc... People seriously underestimate this skill...and I haven't even started talking about its defensive capabilities (I will cover that when I go over the choice for Tactical Assault as a passive.) This skill will never be taken off for me ever again. I am addicted.

Elemental Arrow - [DB=http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skill/demonhunter/elemental-arrow#frost-arrow]Frost Arrow[/DB]: Ever since NT got nerferd, I moved away from the Entangling Shot / NT combo to Evasive Fire and Frost Arrow combo. FA will never be NT...but it is a way more fun ability with more skill needed in aiming your shots. It hits harder than the other versions of Elemental Arrow for single target damage, making it ideal for Elite and Champ packs...and it slows...which is important...again I will get into that when I discuss TA later.

[DB=http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skill/demonhunter/rain-of-vengeance#stampede]Stampede[/DB] - This skill alone makes 90% of Elite and Champ packs butter. 8 seconds of being able to stand still and fire as many FA and EF shots as possible. When your DPS is over 30k this means that most champ packs will be at 20% health by the time the skill is over and they even start to reach you...sometimes they are all dead by then...even when they stop getting knocked back they are slowed by the FA and you will back flip from EF...ensuring that most packs will not get a single hit off on you.

Vault / [DB=http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skill/demonhunter/vault#tumble]Tumble[/DB] - This skill lets you kite Elite packs, get out of trouble after a vortex or waller, re-establish space after a jailer, etc... But maybe more importantly, it gets you around the maps faster than any other skill / rune combo in the game. Part of farming an act efficiently is finding the next Elite pack quickly. This skill and rune combo lets you fire off the max number of vaults for the Discipline you have. I highly recommend running +max Discipline on your quiver and Chest, as it will dramatically increase the speed with which you move through the act...faster speed = more elite packs killed per hour.

[DB=http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skill/demonhunter/preparation]Preparation[/DB] - Backup Plan - Easy Choice. If you have 45+ discipline, this skill lets you fire off TWELVE VAULTS in a row (more if Backup Plan procs!). Use this to kite endlessly if you need to or move through the map quicker than any other class or setup. Also allows more EF backflips.

Companion - [DB=http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skill/demonhunter/companion#ferret-companion]Ferret [/DB]- The controversial choice. Nobody likes this skill. I will never take it off for Act 1. Personally, I find that the 5 previous skills more than adequate to kill quickly/move quickly/and not die. The ferrets increase my GF 10% (I kill lots of white mobs and open many, many chests)...but more importantly...when I open a chest or kill a mob across the screen, I don't have to sit there and wait for the gold to drop, or walk across the screen to pick up 2 piles of 1k+ gold...my ferrets do it for me. They therefore allow to pick up more gold more quickly...and even better, allow to move in the direction I want to (to find more elites) while still picking up gold. I love my ferrets.

No [DB=http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skill/demonhunter/smoke-screen]Smoke Screen[/DB]? Not needed for Act 1 and too Discipline intensive. After a fight I want to have enough Discipline to vault 2-4 times to find the next elite pack more quickly. You will not need it if you have over 20k life and a MINOR amount of armor / resist.

Passives:

[DB=http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skill/demonhunter/tactical-advantage]Tactical Advantage[/DB]: This is my favorite passive. It procs off two skills I have, both with moderate Discipline costs. Every time I use Evasive Fire and get the back flip I run for 2 seconds away from the mobs to re establish space AND to move in the direction of the next Elite pack. After every vault I use I run for 2 seconds then vault again. This skill lets you kite when you need to and find more stuff quickly...it is the best. Again, when you run + max Discipline items this lets you run at +60% A LOT of the time...try it...it is addicting how fast you move. When coupled with FA, mobs simply rarely get to hit you because they have to travel so far to get to you at half speed.

[DB=http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skill/demonhunter/archery]Archery[/DB]: I use regular bows because crit gear is too expensive and not needed for Act 1. 15% damage is too good to pass up.

[DB=http://diablonut.incgamers.com/skill/demonhunter/steady-aim]Steady Aim[/DB]: If 15% is too good then 20% is impossible to ignore. Use Vault and EF with the backflip (amplified by the TA) to make sure this passive is always up.

=============================

My Stats:

Dex: 1512
    Vit: 601

DPS: 39k
    Health: 21k
    Crit Chance: 5%
    Crit Damage: 50%
    Attacks per Second: 1.97

Armor: 2822
    Resist All: 90-120
    Life Regen: 1100k (with Templar Passive)

Move Speed: 19%
    Magic Find: 227% base (245% with Templar)
    Gold Find: 149% base (156% with Templar)

Gear

I require every piece of armor to have Magic Find. It also must have high Dex, and a splash of Vit or Rez All. I used to require Gold Find, but I have been slowly dropping it as a required stat as I upgrade my DPS (I really dont want to let it drop below 150ish base, but we will see). I also like to prioritize life regen as it decreases downtime in between fights and allows kiting to effectively heal you as well. My Templar has a 23% MF weapon, and dual GF MF rings/amulet/and shield.

I spend a lot of time on the AH bidding on items and finding good items at low buyouts. Some of the prices I list might be hard to find still...or the prices might have gone down (or I overpaid...it happens!)

Bow: 1136 DPS with 112 Dex and 100 Vit. 4 million on the AH.

Quiver: +max disc, socket, + 90 dex, GF and MF...can't remember, but under 1 million.

Boots: 120 dex, 12 movespeed, GF and MF...about 1 million

Rings: Both have + damage in good numbers, Attack Speed %, and dex / socket of 60+, and of course Magic Find. One has a splash of Vit. I dropped Gold find from my rings for now. One ring was 6 million, the other 1.5 million.

Amulet: Damage, Dex, Attack Speed, 30 GF and 30 MF. 3 million

Helm: Immortal King's Will. +80 Dex, 17 GF, 15 MF, socket (with Topaz of course) and + 200 armor. 1 million

Chest: The Inquisitor. MOVE SPEED! Dex, splash of resist all, 300+ life regen (love it), and 16 MF. 2 million

Belt: 100 Dex, 200 Life Regen, +18 GF MF. 1 million

Pants: 120 Dex and Vit, 16 gf and mf, 180 Life Regen, 1.5 million

Shoulder: 80 Dex and Vit, 17 gf 16 mf, 200 Life Regen 1 million

Bracer: 80 Dex, 160 Vit, 55 resist all, 17gf, 16mf 1 million

Gloves: 225 Dex, Attack %, 18 MF. 1 million.

About 20 million gold was spent on my current gear setup...but I have farmed act 1 effectively with spending much much less. A lot of my gear was bought over a month ago so prices have changed.

I want to drop the Inquisitor next and get a chest piece with Dex, Sockets, Max Disc (so good), Magic Find and a splash of Vit or Resist All...it will be expensive though...and I hate to lose the 7% Move speed, but I feel like more Discipline is better in the end.

I have considered running other items with + move speed, but the loss in other stats is hard to stomach...if only the inquisitor could spawn with 2 random mods, so I could get Magic find and + Max Disc. *sigh*

It's late and I probably have more to add later (like which areas I run in which order, etc...) but feel free to jump in and ask questions, add your act 1 experiences, or tell me I suck...it's all good!

-cursedDice

Last edited: Jul 9, 2012
  2. Malicious

Malicious Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for this. I was actually thinking of a similar idea because I wanted at least 1 character with maximum MF to farm something (farming A2 and A3 on my monk gets boring after a while). Also I wanted to see what a difference having a high MF character is, regarding drop rates on rares and legendaries. Just hard to find the gear that I want.

A couple of questions though. Have u tried cluster arrow with cluster bomb? My friend recommended it to me, and I find it does quite an amazing amount of burst if u can aim it properly. Also, what is the average gold pile that u get with your GF gear? also what is the highest u've seen drop. My current aim was to go for gear with maximum MF (i.e. 20% for armor, 18% rings and 40% amulet)... but wondering if it's worth going for a lesser amount of MF and getting the GF as well. I guess my only issue with finding MF + GF gear is that it's 2 affixes that don't help your dmg or survivability, and therefore it can make the gear a bit expensive.

3. cursedDice

cursedDice Diabloii.Net Member

I have not tried cluster arrow recently...I will give it a try again though...I do like trying new skill combos out.

Average gold pile is hard to say. When I was running 230 base GF for awhile I had stacks drop of up to 2800 or so. Right now, I am down to 160 base and find a max pile of about 2100g.

MF + GF gear can be expensive...but if you drop things like crit chance, crit damage, and resist all from your required stats, then the prices can become reasonable, especially if you bid on no buyout items and can be patient... And it is very easy to farm Act 1 with almost no resists and no crit items. I think that aiming for max MF on every item from the start while retaining high Dex and decent Vit will be expensive, especially if you add in GF as the final stat. I would say aiming for +15% MF on every item, and 30% on the amulet is quite a good place to start.

4. Malicious

Yeah I've already acquired a few pieces with max MF which I am happy with. Though they are mostly a bit glass-cannon type of gear, which I'm not overly fond of. I'll have a look again for some other pieces and maybe mix in some GF... we'll see I guess. My main concern was getting some all res, cos I hate getting 1 shotted especially cos sometimes it's a bit hard for me to dodge things like mortar due to my ping (being in Australia and all).

5. Chiron

Chiron Diabloii.Net Member

Nice guide. I've been thinking about MF efficiency lately and even though I love the fact that in Act 3 you find far less junk than in Act 1, my kill speed in Act 1 is way higher and I die solely to being sloppy. I've also thought about using Tactical Advantage as you suggested, I'm just so in love with Sharpshooter's burst damage that I haven't been able to let it go yet. But I'll give it a shot, I do have over 30% crit chance without SS anyway and a nice 300+% crit dam too.

I prefer Ball lightning to Frost Arrow because as you said, FA needs to be aimed more carefully and I've found that I'm a crappy aimer. :D So BL is perfect because I can just toss them to the general direction of my enemies and it hits them all. Your idea of using Stampede and Vault as crowd control seems interesting and I could try that too. I've been using Caltrops and Smoke Screen as CC and then Spike Trap as my "big burst damage". With your skill choices I can use one more skill, maybe I could try the ferrets too lol.

I wholeheartedly agree with your assesment on Evasive Fire. It is the superior skill compared to HA especially against easy packs. It also let's you to take advantage of the 1 second 100% crit chance given by SS more easily because EF hits immediately (you can fire Spike Traps or BL at the enemy and then fire with EF when ST/BL hits).

6. Virility

Virility Diabloii.Net Member

Thank you for sharing your experience and your gear set up, this gives me something new to work work towards, I am pretty bored with the game atm.

7. jrsilva

jrsilva Diabloii.Net Member

One doubt: what is Stampede? I cannot seem to find such a skill. I totally agree on everything else, specially about the Evasive Fire choice!

Cheers

8. Micahwc

Micahwc Diabloii.Net Member

Stampede is one of the runes for the skill that rains arrows down around you.

9. Malicious

I finally managed to get a nice set of gear for it (though it's heavy MF as opposed to having both). I was messing around with different skills to see what was more efficient for me. Atm I'm liking multishot for my hatred attack. I was using evasive fire for my hate generator, which I really like... but probably shouldnt need it when using multishot anyway so I'll probably switch that back to hungering arrow for single targetting elites. Multishot is pretty awesome though as u don't really need to aim it like u do with frost arrow... and 1 or 2 shots will clear out all white mobs if your dps is good enough.

10. Banehide

Banehide Diabloii.Net Member

This build looks great - I am excited to try it out. Nice thing is, all the skills are available before LVL 60, which makes it easy to "get used to" before being throw into the Gauntlet that is Inferno.

Quick question: Why not Sharpshooter instead of Archery? I recently swapped that out on my build and found the Critical Hits to be extremely nice and occur far more frequently than I originally thought.

11. IantheRen

IantheRen Diabloii.Net Member

What's your farming path generally like? Also, how do you deal with modifiers like Jailer and Vortex? Are you just barely tanky enough to take one hit and tumblr out?

12. shijan

shijan Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for the guide, can't wait to give it a shot and get a feel for the play style. I never tried Rain of Vengeance Stampede, but the way you described it makes it sound niiiice :)

Follow-up question: with all that farming and gear finds, how did you then approach Act 2 (or later Acts)?

13. Malicious

Archery is the best passive for DHs... would never get rid of it personally. If anything, u could try sharpshooter over tactical advantage if u wanted.

I know OP's build is a bit different to mine, because I use smokescreen instead of tumble still. I'd say try them both out and see what u like. I'd assume that if u get vortexed, u would tumble out asap. I haven't actually tried this b4, but the backflip on evasive fire might get u out of jail if u shoot a mob close enough. That's just an educated guess though, as I only tried evasive fire for a short time. Tumble could possibly get u out of it too? I haven't used tumble before in that situation so I couldn't say for sure.

14. Vamp

Vamp Diabloii.Net Member

Cool... Thanks for the guide :)

15. lanceuppercut

lanceuppercut Diabloii.Net Member

yes it probably will be a) you have to make sure you a) have enough disc spare and b) where EF backflips you, isn't right into something else nasty, i haven't paid enough attention to what direction you land in when you get vortex'd in actually.

16. Chiron

Chiron Diabloii.Net Member

(btw. Tumble is the rune, Vault is the skill)

Vault or the backflip of Evasive Fire does not break you out of jail. This is one of the reasons why I switched the ferret from OP's build to Smoke screen after one run, even though I didn't actually die because of being jailed.

17. blazr

blazr Diabloii.Net Member

Ok nice build im going to try it. But which route do you take to farm 750k-1mil an hour. I mean i farm dank cellar with 225% GF and i only get 200k per hour. Would love to know.

18. MCPWTB

MCPWTB Diabloii.Net Member

From someone else:
    I go to the cemetery directly afterwards before going to town, IDing, and leaving the game.

I have ~220 MF on my witch doctor and can easily clear these quickly.
    Sometimes in the graveyard there is not just the yellow skeleton, but also a yellow thief. Same in the dungeons, there can be a yellow grave robber/digger.
    Also the cemetery has the quest in the middle of one of the dungeons where you click on a locked chest, it spawns a bunch of skeletons, and then breaks, usually leaving 2 rares when I have 5 NV. Not sure if 5 NV matters though.

19. ikarius

ikarius Diabloii.Net Member

I'm kind of surprised at the lack of love for Spike Trap, especially w/ the "scatter" rune. With the scatter rune, you get 3 traps dropped for the hatred price (and time) of one activation, and each of them do 370% weapon damage. Additional niceties; the trap placement ignores the same barriers that evasive fire does (waller walls, elevation changes w/ railings, corner cheating). This is an incredible amount of damage/hatred, it doesn't require you to stay in one place to deal the damage, and it generally cuts through elite's health like a hot knife through butter.

20. GIJoeWWW

GIJoeWWW Diabloii.Net Member

Thanks for bringing up Spike Trap. I love it. I can do some serious damage while running away from danger. And the best part is, it uses hatred instead of discipline, I can use it like another offensive skill.