Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A Guide to Classic (1.06b)

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Ragnarod, Oct 18, 2009.

1. scrcrw

scrcrw Diabloii.Net Member

Re: A Guide to Classic (1.06b)

You can still access the lurkerlounge links by changing links like this...
    Code:
    http://www.lurkerlounge.com/content/view/811/121/
    ...into this:
    Code:
    http://www.lurkerlounge.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=811
    The modified link will download/open a pdf of the guide. However all links and formatting are broken. I stumbled upon this method by accident, maybe there's a more elegant way.
    The affix guide was apparently a downloadable .xls, so it can't be accessed by this method. Maybe Ragnarod still has it somewhere, if he ever stops by again.

While I'm here: Thank you for the excellent guide, Ragnarod! I played two chars through the game, a tweaker sorc last year and a Hammerdin very recently (both untwinked and without self-mp). Great fun. :)

To contribute something, here is the fcr table for a sorceress:
    Code:
    Points*  frames per cast
    0        13
    1        12
    2        11
    3/4      10
    5         9
    6/7       8
    8/9       7

*count "fast cast" as 1 point and "fastest cast" as 2 points
    This is taken from a lurkerlounge guide and, from my observations, seems to be correct.

2. Username is not in use

Username is not in use Diabloii.Net Member

i got a little workaround for my problem, i visited the site through a waybackmachinesite and but then u cant download the file because of a robottxt denieing it, but only if u visit it from the waybacksite.

so i cutted the nescassary lurkerlink and here is it:

http://www.lurkerlounge.com/images/stories/diablo2/information/prefix-suffix.xls

and here in code:

Code:
    http://www.lurkerlounge.com/images/stories/diablo2/information/prefix-suffix.xls
    pls update OP pls

3. Ragnarod

Ragnarod DiabloII.Net Pal

Thanks to both of you! It was a while since I visited, but I got an alert for replies in this thread to keep an eye on it, I wouldn't have noticed the lurkerlounge links being broken if it weren't for you :)

I've replaced the link to the affix document, and to the different lurker lounge guides (by linking to the wayback machine saved versions of them, so as to keep the formatting and make them easier to read), that should do but please let me know if I forgot to replace anything. It's not much, but I'm adding you to the acknowledgements section as a token of appreciation, I'm glad my guide was of help in giving 1.06 a try ;)

4. Saluki

Saluki Diabloii.Net Member

When I finally reached level 30 the whirlwind was so bad that I was certain there was something wrong with my installation or character files. I even reinstalled and tried different computers.

Can some other people confirm that this is the way Whirlwind functioned in the early versions? Even though I didn't play barbarian much back then, I still don't remember it being this bad. I have heard it said that whirlwind was king before LoD. I do not see how this is so. In 1.06 there are situations when I can kill faster using the normal attack than with whirlwind, simply because I'm not wasting time and mana hitting nothing at all. The barb must have played very different back then. Were more points put into skills like bash and concentrate? If anyone can remember specifics on how the barb was played effectively, please share, because from what I have seen in 1.06 the barb is the least effective character because he does not have a decent attack that inflicts multiple enemies. All the other characters can cover area with damage much better.

5. zrk

zrk Diabloii.Net Member

I did 1.00 play through normal and nightmare, didnt notice WW having that quirk. Orb does for sure but, maybe not ww. Though i wasnt consciously looking at least. The video footage i captured doesnt seem to show it either, or i misunderstood. http://diablo.incgamers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=782778 (most of the nightmare videos have ww-ing that seems to not bug out after intercepting enemy.)

6. contrasz

contrasz Diabloii.Net Member

7. contrasz

Additionally, always concerning v1.06, it is correct for it to be assumed that first-kill drop and ulterior-kills drops are alike, is not it? I am saying this because the OP of that thread is mentioning v1.10 in his there-outlined always-get-first-kill-drops strategy.

However, Ragnarod writes:

The question is, is helvete's post somewhat adapted to the patch of our interest (that is, v1.06)?

It seems so long ago I last planned to immerse myself in the Diablo II universe...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  8. zrk

zrk Diabloii.Net Member

for pre expansion guides and content Barons Bazaar on web archive has a ton of detailed info.. and im not sure about 1.06 but when i did 1.00 act bosses didnt drop that well(mostly blues), cow king farming was way more efficient. in 1.06 with the cow quest prolly need to multibox it but i bet its still better than boss runs. or maybe not.

9. contrasz

Thanks for the link.

Concerning the cow level, one has on the one hand to have killed Diablo beforehand, and on the other for one to be able to open it, one has not to have killed the cow king, because once it is killed (and by extension the six stamina potions dropped) a "terminal" flag is added to the third quest of the first act;

furthermore, it seems the sole way for an act boss to be dropping well is by completing the quest; in other words, act bosses drop well only once, and there does not seem to be any workaround to that -- which is great. One should solo them if they are feeling like it, though.

(That was for v1.05b; I believe the same stands for v1.06b.)

10. King's Specter

King's Specter Diabloii.Net Member

This has got me wanting to try this again. I don't think I ever knew about the 85% ED Frost Burns!

Has anyone ever had a problem with their toons not being visible in-game on newer systems? Everything runs fine but I can only tell where my character is if I fire off a spell or something.

11. contrasz

12. King's Specter

King's Specter Diabloii.Net Member

Turns out that I had a bad file. Installed from my main disks instead of the back-ups and life was good.

Playing a 1.04 zon atm. Suuuperfast Jabz! I gambling for Brocs and praying for some mana leach from somewhere. No weapon switch?!? Forgot about that one...

13. nulio

nulio Diabloii.Net Member

How does energy shield and damage goes to mana work in this patch?

14. nulio

nulio Diabloii.Net Member

I've traded some boots with scrcrw and gambled some that show that failed uniques have five times the normal durability. I confirmed this with RTB (that also pointed out that uniques also have five times the durability - which I have never noticed but it was there all along ^^).

I remember reading somewhere that the ilvl of the gambled item can also sometimes not respect the -5+4 thing. I'm not sure if I'm confusing this with 1.07/8 crafts/gambles.

15. DoW Fanatic

DoW Fanatic Diabloii.Net Member

This is definitely on my list of things to do. I can't seem to find that patch anywhere.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  16. felixbavaria

felixbavaria Diabloii.Net Member

You need D2 Classic CDs, then patch to 1.06b using the file from Blizzard's FTP server (link is in the stickies; the mirror mentioned there does NOT work). Unfortunately, the downloadable D2 Classic installer from battle.net is patched to 1.12 already.

17. DoW Fanatic

I followed the link to the FTP instead of the mirror and got the patch. :thumbsup:

18. DoW Fanatic

Egads! This is taking a lot of getting used to. I have a necromancer all the way to the Outer Cloister waypoint. I've already found three uniques (Rixot's Keen, Dimoak's hue and Tarnhelm) and a set (Death's Sash)item. The only thing bugging me now is the not being able to mule with ATMA. I'm not sure about the Trenshadow's method, or whether I want to put that much effort into it. It's been interesting so far though.

Edit: I grabbed the modified dll file from Phrozen Keep and set up a mule. I'm only planning to stay with a necro and will probably bring things he can't use forward to 1.07.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  19. Barl

Barl Diabloii.Net Member

Sorry for the bump, but I recently found the old Lurker Lounge forum: http://www.network54.com/Forum/31101/

Lots of discussion about classic D2, from before release, up to April 2001. There are over 350 pages to sift through if you want to find anything, though, and no search function.

As for my classic escapades, I just Baroned my barb (lvl 50) and sorc (lvl 53) in 1.03. Next up is my smite/hammer pally who is stuck at Duriel in act 2 hell, at lvl 39.

20. Username is not in use

Username is not in use Diabloii.Net Member

Thank you Ragnarod for mentioning me :)

This thread has so much good info, nostalgia floods through my veines :D