Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A guide of Rift-a-din

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by IntelligentX, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IntelligentX

IntelligentX Diabloii.Net Member

A guide of Rift-a-din

Hello everyone, I got inspired by some post here and finally I decide to write a guide up. And this is my first time to write a character guide, and hope you will enjoy it =D
    This is a paladin that use the runeword “Rift†as main weapon, that’s why it is called “Rift-a-dinâ€. Although it looks like an auradin, but personally I think riftadin is more fun to play with =D
    Talk to the point, let’s start the guide.

Strength:
    1. Huge elemental damage: As riftadin use elemental attack as main damage, he can fight any monsters in the whole game, I mean EVERY monster you can name.
    2. Won’t fall easily under the influence of iron maiden: as mentioned above, riftadin’s physical damage is LOW so that you are still alive even with full zeal attack. My riftadin can stand 5-10 full zeal attack when iron maiden is on. But it doesn’t mean you can attack recklessly as it is still quite damaging and it may be better to use cleansing and get rid of the iron maiden.

Weakness:
    1. Leech: As mentioned above, riftadin’s main attack damage is from elemental damage, so leech is virtually useless. My riftadin has 12 life leech (8 from CoH, 4 from dual leech ring) and 5 mana leech (from dual leech ring) and he barely leech back life.
    2. Damage/Magic damage reduce: as my equipments have zero damage/magic damage reduce, it may cause some pain when fighting some monsters that deal heavy magic damage and/or physical damage. So it maybe a good idea to have some DR/MDR equipments in your stash.

Stat points and skill points distribution:
    Suggested Skill points:
    10 in prerequisite (14 when you want to use redemption)
    1-5 zeal: Depends if you have enough + skills or not. If you have torch and anni, you only need one point in zeal.
    20 resist lightning: Synergy for holy shock on dream helm and dream shield
    20 salvation: Synergy for holy shock on dream helm and dream shield.
    20 holy shield: Increase block rate, overall defence, pretty crucial for every paladin.
    20 conviction: Reduce enemies’ resist and defence
    0-1 redemption: it maybe a good idea to have a point for redemption, as your riftadin won’t leech much from your attacks.
    0-1 blessed aim: 5% to attack rating per level invested even you don’t turn blessed aim on. Personally I feel it is pretty useful.

Stat points:
    Strength: Enough for equipments.
    Dexterity: enough for max block with holy shield.
    Vitality: Rest
    Energy: None

Equipments:

Armor:
    CoH: My recommendation for armor. 2 to all skills, all resist +65, 20 to strength, what else you want?
    Enigma: If you want to be strength glitched enigma isn’t a bad choice either. The extra teleport will be useful to some situation too, but don’t rely on it as you won’t have much faster cast rate on him.
    Leviathan: Damage reduced by %, good defence, adds loads of strength, everything useful for riftadin. The drawback is that its strength requirement is pretty high (174 strength)
    Shaftstop: Huge damage reduced, add decent life, a cheap alternative for leviathan.
    Arkaine's Valor: Potentially 2 to all skill, loads of vitality, some damage reduce, not a bad choice either. But the strength requirement is a bit high (165 strength) and the level required is pretty high too (level 85)

Helm:
    "Dream" Helm: My recommendation for helmet. It will be your main damage source from the holy shock aura. Besides, it has faster hit recovery, 5% to maximum life, 10 to vitality, 5 to 20 all resist and defence isn’t too bad.
    Andarial’s Visage: A good choice if you don’t have dream helm. 2 to all skill, loads of strength, 20 increased attack speed, but you may want to socket a ral in it as the minus fire resist will make you hurt.
    Giant Skull: Although the crushing blow won’t work too much on your attacks as only 10% chance, but if there are two sockets you can socket two IAS jewels and reach zeal break point easier. Besides, the strength bonus is pretty good too.

Belt:
    Nosferatu's Coil: My recommendation for belt. You can wear this belt when you got 25 stats from torch and anni, so I think it shouldn’t be too difficult to achieve. Besides, the 10 IAS helps much if you are about to reach last IAS breakpoint. The 15 strength from it can help you to use higher strength required equipments, too.
    String Of Ears: Although there is 6-8% life leech, but it won’t help much. The point for that belt is the damage reduced by % and the magic damage reduced. Don’t underestimate those little values, those may potentially save your life.
    Verdungo's Hearty Cord: Adds loads of vitality, damage reduced by % and 10% faster hit recovery are always useful.

Gloves:
    Lavagout: 20 IAS are always good, and the 2% chance to cast level 10 enchant is helping much. Although not much fire damage but the attack bonus (101% at level 10) will always help.
    Laying of hands: 20 IAS and 50 fire resist, not a bad choice either.
    Bloodfist: If you have enough IAS from other items, this glove is pretty useful with the life and nice 30 faster hit recovery.
    Rare gloves with IAS, leech, stats or even resist: The more the stats, the more stat points you can save for vitality. The more leech, the more jewellery choice you can get. The more resist, the more choice of charms.

Shield:
    "Dream" Shield: My recommendation for shield. Like dream helm, it will be your main damage source from the holy shock aura. Like dream helm, it has faster hit recovery, 50 to life, and the shield can potentially grant you 65 to all resist, provide you use a 45 resist based shield and you roll a 20 resist on the dream.
    Storm Shield: Huge damage reduced by % bonus, faster block and block rate, 30 to strength, a good choice when you don’t have dream shield.
    Herald Of Zakarum: Total +4 to combat skill means you only need one point in zeal, and you can save more skill points for other skills. Besides, every mod on the shield is very useful: 20 strength and vitality, 20% to attack rating, 50 to all resist, block rate, a good choice too when you don’t have dream shield.
    "Spirit" shield on switch: To increase your battle order level.

Boots:
    Sandstorm Trek: My recommendation for boots. Potentially adds 15 strength and vitality, 20 faster run walk and faster hit recovery, decent defence, this boots will save you a lot of stat points for life.
    Marrow Walk: My second choice for boots. Potentially adds 20 strength and 17 dexterity, but it lacks faster hit recovery and the strength requirement is a bit high (118 strength) in compare to sandstorm trek (91 strength). You may want to use sandstorm trek if you want to reach 86% faster hit recovery breakpoint.
    Waterwalk: Not a bad choice if you don’t have enough strength for marrow walk and you want to boost your block rate with the 15 dexterity from the boots. The Life on the boots are also pretty good too.

Weapon:
    Rift (in 4os war sceptre): Now we are talking the point. Rift’s stats:
    4 socket sceptre/polearm
    Hel + Ko + Lem + Gul
    20% Chance To Cast Level 16 Tornado On Striking
    16% Chance To Cast Level 21 Frozen Orb On Attack
    20% Bonus To Attack Rating
    Adds 160-250 Magic Damage
    Adds 60-180 Fire Damage
    +5-10 To All Stats (varies)
    +10 To Dexterity
    38% Damage Taken Goes To Mana
    75% Extra Gold From Monsters
    Level 15 Iron Maiden (40 Charges)
    Requirements -20%

With this weapon and dual dream gear, it means you have all kinds of damage: Physical (Although low in it), Cold from orb, fire from weapon, and magic from weapon. Although the frozen orb is not synergised, but it won’t make too much difference as you will max conviction. In average, one frozen orb will be cast in six attacks. You can find a sceptre with skill granted on it, but I will only suggest a sceptre with 1-3 to zeal. Other than that, I won't recommand as they probably too expensive to repair.
    Gimmershred: Hugh elemental bonus, base damage is not too bad, leave this in the stash just in case you need to have some physical damage. Side note: Don’t use a ethereal one, as the quantity will still decrease even you use it for melee purpose.
    Azurewrath: Hugh magic and cold damage, VERY fast that you won’t need IAS item to reach last IAS zeal break point with as low as level 12 fanaticism. A second choice for weapon if you need some physical damage.
    Call to arms on switch: Adds maximum life and mana, also grant you a extra skill, always useful for any character.

Jewelleries:
    Rings:
    Raven frost: Potentially add 250 to attack rating and 20 to dexterity, it can save you points from dexterity and add more to vitality instead. The cannot be frozen is pretty crucial in hell mode too.
    Rare rings: Prefer a rare ring with mana leech, attack rating, stats (strength, dexterity), and all resist. Although leech won’t work too well as you can only achieve low damage, but it can save your life when you get mana burned by monsters; Attack rating isn’t that crucial, but it is always to have.
    Manald Heal: If you don’t have a decent mana leech, this will be a cheap alternative.

Amulet:
    Highlord’s Wrath: My recommendation for amulet. That +1 to all skill can save you skill points for other things else; 20 IAS can get you to last zeal breakpoint easier, although deadly strike is useless on riftadin.
    Cat’s eye: My another recommendation for amulet. The 25 dexterity can save you stat points for more life, and the 30 faster run walk is useful when you don’t have vigour. Also this has 20 IAS too.
    Metalgrid: Loads of attack rating, good defence and resist, not a bad choice for him.
    Saracen’s chance: Adds 12 to all attributes with potentially 25 all resist, a good choice when you have enough attack speed and lacks of + strength or dexterity items.
    Mara's Kaleidoscope: A similar and more expensive version of Saracen’s chance. If you want skills and resistance this is a good choice.

Mercenary:
    It depends if you want your zeal reach last IAS breakpoint. If you do, you may want to use a faith merc. You will still reach last IAS breakpoint even with level 12 fanaticism with 50 ias from equipments, where you need 45 ias from equipments when the merc has level 14 fanaticism.
    If you don’t need to reach IAS breakpoint, you can try act2 holy freeze or blessed aim merc. For equipments I suggest:
    Rift in normal polearm (Voulge or scythe, for extra frozen orb)
    Dragon RW Armor (For extra fire damage)
    Andarial’s Visage (leech, strength, 20IAS, everything your merc wants)

My overall outlook of my riftadin:
    Equipments:
    Dusk Shroud CoH
    “Dream†Demonhead (elite mask)
    “Rift†War Scepter with no skills (Azurewrath in stash if physical damage is required)
    “Dream†Sacred Rondache
    Azurewrath for backup in stash
    Nosferatu's Coil
    Sandstorm Trek
    Rare dual leech ring with attack rating
    Raven frost
    Highlord’s Wrath
    Rare glove with 20IAS and 14 to dexterity
    Paladin torch
    Annihilus
    Stat point:
    Strength: 115
    Dexterity: 177
    Vitality: 481
    Energy: 52

Life without BO: 2008
    Life with BO (Level 11): 3126

Mercenary’s equipment:
    Faith in crusader bow (Level 14 Fanaticism)
    Fortitude
    Ral’d Andarial’s Visage

To reach the last zeal breakpoint (4 frames per attack) with Mercenary’s level 14 fanaticism, I will need 45 more IAS. So for equipment, I use rare glove with 20ias, Nosferatu's Coil and highlord’s Wrath (Total 50 IAS).

I think that’s all at the moment. I hope this guide can be read easily and I don't make some errors :lipsrsealed: If there are any errors, or anything I have missed feel free to correct me =)

2. kalvydas

kalvydas Diabloii.Net Member

does he really kill in hell? I think for normal - nm all this elemental damage is ok, but how does he deal with hell monsters?

3. IntelligentX

I equip him with dual dream, which can kill all monsters in hell, even those ones still immune to lightning with my conviction.
    I noticed you play on USeast too. Wanna play with me and see how well he does?

4. koeraokse

koeraokse Diabloii.Net Member

I used cresent moon on my dreamer and I did just fine, huge light dmg+phys+conv+static no monster can survive this...

:shocked:
    *priit2

5. IntelligentX

Not really a dreamer, but riftadin use a low damage war scepter so that he has less problem in chaos as he deals low physical damage.

6. Sgraffite

Sgraffite Diabloii.Net Member

Wouldn't Dracul's be something to consider since you have no other way of leaching?

7. IntelligentX

Never try that before, but I think it won't work as well as you think.
    My riftadin has total 18% life leech and he only leech like 3-9 life per hit.
    Life tap provide 50% life from your physical damage, so I think it won't work much.

8. SSoG

SSoG Diabloii.Net Member

Even without the Dreams, Rift + Conviction + Zeal will kill fantastically in Hell. Just think of your Paladin as a very tanky Frozen Orb Sorceress who is also his own Infinity Merc.

I used to like Avengers, but ever since making my first Conviction Zealot, I can't play them any more. For 30 skill points (tops), a Conviction Zealot can kill as well as a 70-skillpoint Avenger.

One suggestion, IntelligentX. You recommend putting a point or more in Blessed Aim. I wouldn't. You're running Conviction as your primary aura, and Conviction lowers enemy defense so much that AR is basically meaningless (basically, slvl 25 Conviction is like multiplying your final AR by 12.5). Especially because that Frozen Orb on Rift is "On Attack" rather than "On Striking", so whether you hit or not, you're still firing off Orbs at the exact same pace.

9. IntelligentX

Thanks for the suggestion :thumbsup:
    So you mean with level 25 conviction riftadin can hit anything even with 1k ar?

10. Jackson

Jackson Diabloii.Net Member

I think your AR will be good enough already.. seeing how there's enchant, plus those ravens you have on, etc.

11. IntelligentX

My riftadin has like 3k attack rating with zeal, but when I dont use charms and stuff I only have 1.9k, so you imagine...
    But I agree, even with 1.9k attack rating I still be able to hit stuff, only act bosses are a bit hard.

12. Sgraffite

Sgraffite Diabloii.Net Member

With a high level conviction aura I don't think you'll need very much attack rating as it lowers your enemies defense by a LOT.

13. IntelligentX

Whoa, it is a honour that my guide has been stickied! :laugh:

14. Bladewind

Bladewind Diabloii.Net Member

I won't call this a pure riftadin anyone. More like a Drift-a-din.

As for merc options, don't forget the Faith (at least lvl 14 to 15 aura, lvl 12 and lvl 13 require 50% IAS) merc ! If you want to zeal at 4 fps, you will need 45% IAS with the Caddy / Warscepter which can be settled with a Treachery runeword. Also with Faith, your damage is not sooo low that dracs or any form of LL will not be useless.

Pride and Might can help as well but i really prefer the speed.

15. IntelligentX

The Fanaticism won't help much on damage, think about it, my riftadin has base strength, and war scepter has like 17 maximum damage, I will say even with fanaticism, the physical damage per swing is ~100 ish. Don't forget there are penalties for life leech in hell mode too.
    But I will try that out tonight with a drac anyway. If it is useful, I may add drac in the glove list.

16. Bladewind

Bladewind Diabloii.Net Member

Dracs mainly for OW, and Lifetap.

Even if you do 100+ damage per swing, recovering 50+ is still better than nothing.

17. IntelligentX

Will the lifetap suffers hell penalty (Leech cut by half)?

18. koeraokse

koeraokse Diabloii.Net Member

I zealed through cs with ez... :heart:

:shocked:
    *priit2

19. Pooshy

Pooshy Diabloii.Net Member

could this take the ubers?! Kinda curious because this sounds like a fun build, but i need a build to kill the ubers and don't wanna spend the time finding another rush for a paladin

20. IntelligentX

I never try it before, but as it will has at least level 20 conviction, which means mephisto's aura won't affect you. But I doubt riftadin will deal enough damage to ubers, and the most important thing: Riftadin's damage is so low that I afraid life tap won't replenish your life orb to top with a few blows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.