Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

a great place to find high level runes.....

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by slam, Jun 21, 2005.

1. slam

slam IncGamers Member

a great place to find high level runes.....

I hate to make a post like this but….

Some guy tells me he has found two Zod runes in his lifetime, both in Abaddon (if you don’t know – it’s in the Frigid Highlands) and tells me that it, along with the other red portal areas in Act 5, the Pit of Acheron, and the Infernal Pit, are the best place to find high level runes > Gul which forge cannot drop. He said the high level rune drops were from monsters rather than chest type things.

What are your thoughts on this? Think Blizzard might actually have created a use for these areas that no one tends to visit? Is it possible to check the code to see if these areas, or the monsters in them, have a higher chance to drop these runes than normal?

Yeah, I feel like an idiot for even mentioning this and more likely than not, he was either lying or is incredibly lucky, but I’d figure I’d ask anyway incase someone already knew for certain or incase someone with the ability to check wanted to do so. If you don’t know for certain, please don’t post to state that it is nonsense. I want someone with proof to reply.

2. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

I ask myself why people who allegedly had the incredible luck of finding 2 zod runes (or experiencing something as rare as that) often have to tell weird stories in conjunction with that. I cannot prove a thing and perhaps your friend really found two zods, but I guess he made the story up, either for his ego or to make others believe that he has two legit two zod runes (which he might try to sell a little later). The weirder the story, the more people will remember it.

For all questions regarding item drops, use the drop calculator of ATMA. You find the link in my sig.

3. Leohappy

Leohappy IncGamers Member

Well there's no reason to believe that monsters in areas like Abaddon, Pit of Acheron, the Swampy Pit etc have better chance to drop a rune than some other monster.

I think Blizzard never designed these areas for "item hunting" as you say - they're just dungeons like any other. Game designers probably assumed people are actually going to PLAY THIS GAME, and visit all areas as they're doing quests, but they were wrong it seems :rolleyes: - one of design flaws in this game. All Blizzard can now do is juggle with monster levels/types in those areas.

4. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

I'm not sure about the upgrade rules for chests, so I can't comment on that part.

However, the general rule for finding runes is simple: kill more monsters.

It doesn't really matter WHERE you do that, as long as the area level is high enough. The 3 red portal areas are lvl 81-83, which isn't too bad --- highest useful areas are 85.

Now, if you go to the same area over and over again, you are bound to find something there. This doesn't mean there is a magic hack in the server to increase drops of these kinds in that area.

For me, my only non-hellforge UM (which also happens to be my highest non-hellforge rune) came from a chest in stony fields --- but from that I don't conclude that chests in stony fields have a higher chance to drop UMs.

It's not impossible that certain areas have certain "improvements" beyond what's publically known, but I consider it rather unlikely. I tend to assume your friend just did a lot of these runs and got lucky.

Well, by the time they did all those 1.10 changes this was already known :)

5. slam

slam IncGamers Member

Yeah, and now I wish I had never started such a stupid thread. Can you believe I am actually in the process of writing a guide? Did I just loose all credibility? haha

I have ATMA, never know - could be wrong. Great program though.

I'll get back to upping my GUL runes then until I can make a Zod. If I recall, I only need 256 for 1 Zod. That sounds a lot easier than my 1 in 3413924 chance of Baal dropping one.

I met this other guy who said that if all your equipment is ethereal and it has 1 durability left, you will get an Ist rune from anya if you kill her instead of rescuing her. Is that true?

6. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

It could be possible. Since Anya can't be killed, D2 might not have a specific response for her death --- so she could drop an IST rune, or she could open a portal to take to the 4th difficulty level.

All of this is quite unlikely, though. If Anya should get killed she'll probably make a random drop based on whatever mlvl her data says, or it will crash the game with a segmentation fault because her "monster" data is probably much shorter than usual :)

And your gear being ethreal or not is very unlikely to have any influence on that.

7. slam

slam IncGamers Member

what should i take from the fact that you actually replied to that..... :)