Latest Diablo 3 News
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A great Internet game (French speaking only)

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by pixelpowder, Jun 7, 2005.

1. pixelpowder

pixelpowder Diabloii.Net Member

A great Internet game (French speaking only)

Hi all,

The post about new addictive games is leading me to talk to you about the game that has replaced Diablo in my heart in the last months : Gloire et Pouvoir (Glory and Power) found at :

http://www.gloireetpouvoir.com

Before you read any further you should now that this is a French-speaking game only, and you had better be more than fluent in French to play it (I don't think the creator is intending to make an English version).

That said, it is a huge and addictive game, and it's totally free !!

It is a turn based-strategy game in a medieval setting with very subtle strategic options. Kind of like a RISK or DIPLOMACY, with 10x the strategy and more players (10 for a game on the Scandinavian map, and 30 :eek: for the Europe map). Add to that a great role-playing atmosphere with quite a few players that are really dedicated to their mighty medieval lord. A very good job of balancing has been done and there are truly many ways to achieve victory - economic, military, diplomatic, etc. Quite a few clever tricks to be used by the best strategy lovers, too.

Only downside though : with orders being turned in every week, the game can be quite long (expect 8 - 12 weeks for a typical game).

So any strategy-loving, french-speaking dudes like me should jump to :

http://www.gloireetpouvoir.com

And come back and tell me if you liked it ;-)

2. KnightFall

KnightFall Diabloii.Net Member

It's rubbish! I can't understand it at all!

Might be because I don't speak French though...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

KnightFall

3. piff

piff Diabloii.Net Member

So a basic understanding of French won't cut it? It sounds like fun, and I know some French, enough to make my way through France, but I want to know if it's enough to actually paly.

4. mhl12

mhl12 Diabloii.Net Member

French eh...? Too bad, I chose Spanish instead of French in high school. :lol:

5. kryo

kryo Diabloii.Net Member

Hm, its interesting how they have the dynamic flash map and whatnot but I can't figure out much beyond that (babelfish only seems to get so far)...

If anyone is interested in another grand strategy/political game loosely based on Diplomacy (and best of all, in English ;)), feel free to check out mine: http://www.northwood.co.nr.

Like that one it's a free web-based TBS, but based in a fantasy setting of my own creation. Up to 12/13 players (depending if you count the emperor-type player), and turns almost every day (depending on the agreed upon timer) so it moves along at a considerably quicker pace.

Feel free to pop by and check it out. We've got a new game coming up with some free slots still, and if there's demand we can start another new one too. If you want to see the game itself, just register on the site/forum then check the sidebar on the front page for a link to the active game.

If anyone likes sci-fi Space strategy, I'm currently working on a new game (based on a modified version of the same engine) which will be scalable for more players and much larger maps (up to 9000 sectors at most or thereabouts).

6. pixelpowder

pixelpowder Diabloii.Net Member

The two problems you'll face if your french is not good enough is :
    1) you'll have difficulties understanding the rules
    2) you'll have difficulties role-playing in the medieval way (i.e. using the french equivalent of "thou", etc.)

The best however is to try it :lol: and you'll see whether your french is good enough ;) : the strategy itself if fairly compelling and addictive.

7. Eff

Eff Banned

8. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

9. nrabbit

nrabbit Diabloii.Net Member

planeshfit looks nice but its laggy

10. Hatsepsut

Hatsepsut Banned

Well I decided not to bother with it, since I read it's far from completion. :/