Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A good reason for the hostile button - A PPK story

Discussion in 'Hardcore' started by Syxx, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Syxx

Syxx IncGamers Member

A good reason for the hostile button - A PPK story

Hi All,

As some of you will know I am a purely PvM HC player ... but 2 nights ago, a certain individual's ingame actions made me so angry I actually hostiled the player, and went hunting for his head. Very out-of-character for me.

I joined a "Kill Diablo" normal game with my level 24 Jabberzon. In the game was a level 22 Wolf, a level 26 Blizzard Sorc and a level 15 Necro.

We started the River of Flames made our way to Chaos Sanctuary when I first satrted getting abit suspicious of the Necro. He put up a clay golem, used no curses at all, and occassionally attacked a monster with his wand. I asked why he didnt use curses and he said something about being a Poisonmancer and not needing them. Initially I thought he was either a newbie, or else just plain stupid. Wrong on both accounts, he was a PK in hiding.

Well no thanks to the Necro we made it the Chaos Sanctuary, and we started clearing out the monsters. I noticed the Nerco was opening the seals without asking if the rest of us were ready or caring where we were standing. The 2nd time he did this, the sorc was almost killed when she found herself surrounded by a dozen beefy monsters. When she complained, the Necro just laughed and made some comment to effect that it was too bad she managed to live.

I saw red ... especially as the Wolf, the Sorc and myself were untweeked and having to play very carefully just to survive monster, lets alone turncoat in our party trying to sabotage our effect from the "inside".

Without thinking too much I hit the hostile button .... and proceeded to scare the crap out of the Druid, who hadn't seen the incident and was wondering why the hostile siren sounded. (Maybe I should have left the party first ? ... I don't know, I've never hostiled anyone before). Anyway I said I was after the Nercos head, not his, and I proceeded to try and locate the Necro.

I never did find out where he was hiding ... which is probably fortunate for me. My Jabbing damage is 50-120 (level 1 Jab), my life 142, and I have 10 skill points I'm saving up for level 30 before I place them. Not really setup to PvP, but my anger at the Necro was such that simply had to try and kill him regardless.

Afterwards I sat there for a couple of minutes thinking about all those times I joined in various PvP / Anti PvP discussions and wondering if I just made a hpyercrite of myself.

In the end I decided ... no I'm not a hypercrite ... there are just some losers out there that would look alot better earless... and without the hostile button it would not be possible to do so.

So now I'm still a PvM'er ... but one who likes the hostile button in special circumstances :D

Aside : To all the PvPers out there ... how dangerous is a level 15 Necro PvP character ? You can see my build above. I'm sure a purposely built PvP character they would wipe the floor with me, but what about a level 15 Necro ?

Regards
    Syxx

2. det

det IncGamers Member

Hi Syxx...you missed a nice game last night ;)

How did you know he was a PK..sounds more like somebody who hands ppl trapped TP's...like a passive PK (he sure would not have gotten an ear out of his actions). As you say, he was even hiding from you (or the party?)

Guess its time for a PM to Magnus. Wasn't he on about some secret Necro low lv PK build of his in this forum?

3. Baroni

Baroni IncGamers Member

Syxx, how could you...I am shocked...not.

I too am a strictly PvM player, but have in my time sounded the hostile horn on a few really irritating individuals. Mostly spammers and grabbers, boy they really get my back up.

I agree with Det though. It sounds like he wasn't a purpose built PK, just an annoying gimp.

4. SonOfRah

SonOfRah IncGamers Member

Sounds like the run of the mill asshat. Sorry to see that you never got him :(

For pvp though, a properly built lvl 15 dueler can wipe the floor against other players - even pvp builds. The reason is simply because like how the telecro was, no one expects them to be quite so deadly.

5. MoUsE_WiZ

MoUsE_WiZ IncGamers Member

I don't recall who, but someone posted their low level necro build with something like 400 damage, not huge, but then throw the amp in and it starts looking scarier.

6. Syxx

Syxx IncGamers Member

Hi,

DET : I'd love to have joined you all ... but due being offline most of April and part of May it would have messed with the party too much. I'll see you all in KTA 5.0.

Initially I was just suspicious of the Necro. Who in 1.10 has a Necro that niether uses Skeketons nor Curses ?

Yes messing with seals could have been an accident, but his laughing at the near death of a party member to me implied alot more than just an "accident". However once I hostiled him, he started going on about his "many PK character from level 8 up to mid 90's" that I knew he was a PKer for sure. (Since you can't hostile til level 9, I wonder what his level 8 character was all about ?)

Rah : I knew about telenecros from reading your guide, but I wasn't sure what level one needs to be to use a staff with tele charges, or a tele amulet / ring. Is he able to tele at level 15 ? Iron Golems with Thorn curse, don't come into play til levle 24, and he didn't have a merc at all ... so I wasn't sure how tough he would be to fight. Considering my setup, probably pretty hard in any case... but that didn't stop me from trying.

Regards
    Syxx

7. Fearoth

Fearoth IncGamers Member

Actually those necros can be very dangerous.I had a fun pk lvl 9 necro in 1.09 hc who i twinked with a ethereal great maul filled with +9 max and -15 req +9 max jewels (ended up over 100 max dmg for lvl 9 with low reqs :) ) a +36 max armor and +27 max helm all pts into bone armor 1 pt into amp dmg. Had a +3 bone armor wand and +3 bone armor head on switch for casting armor.Needless to say some people learned it the hard way not to laugh at a lvl 9 necro hostiling you :).

8. det

det IncGamers Member

Syxx..you can't tele before lv 24 (staff with Tele charges) IIRC...definitely not at lv 15.

9. kardinaal

kardinaal IncGamers Member

From what I read, that was no pk. It looks just like some inconsiderate guy to me. At Lvl 15 there's pretty much nothing a necro can do (unless he's got a big weapon up his switch). Teeth doesn't kill anymore in this patch, and he was to low for tele or bone spear.

Which technically makes you a PK. Welcome to the dark side ;). Maybe now you understand that people pk (seeing as in your post you state to be anti-pk?). Which still doesn't mean you have to like PKing, of course.

Lately my PvM builds are made with the idea in the back of my head that I could meet a PK, and I'd like to give him a run for his money. Most PKs can't resist a fight with a "noob PvM guy" that wants to fight, so they will stay, and there's no need for a 1 hit kill...

10. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

I don´t know anything about PvP (heck, I´ve only played online (with a friend) for about an hour in total), but wouldn´t Iron Maiden be a potential threat? At level 15, you can have 4 inherent points in it, as well as a couple of Hexing (+1 Curses) items (including a Hexing Wand and a Hexing Head with +3 IM each). You could be dealing with over 400% damage returned and if cast just before someone would start a Jab, that would HURT.

11. CoonerTheRed

CoonerTheRed IncGamers Member

i've only hit the hostile button (with intent to kill) once...

was playing around with my lvl 80 throwbarb, mfing in nm (he didn't kill fast enough to do hell, but sure was fun to play anyway), when i got bored of mfing and joined a similar "kill diablo" game with about 2 or 3 players, all scrapping their way through nm. Of course when a high lvl joins any game like this, i immediately get 3 offers of invites, party up, and join them in the river. My cruel sticks were really mowing things down quickly, and we were soon in the sanc, cleared out four of the five seals, and were getting ready to hit the fifth when I asked how people's resists were. Everyone was ok, except a lvl 4x necro who was leeching his way through (but with amp, so i was happy). Remembering a Nozokan's ammie I had found a couple games ago, I offered to lend him the ammie if he would return it after killing Diablo, since I wanted him amping D instead of hiding in the corner. He said sure, I gave him the ammie, he said thanks, and we hit the last seal. D went down in no time, nothing special drops. What do you know- I get two thank yous and a "stealing_necro has left the game"

Now honestly, it was noz ammie.... nothing special, and my pali who i had been saving it for didn't REALLY need it. Heck, I was only half expecting to get it back anyway. But man did that burn me. I must have chased stealing_necro through three different bloody foothill games that night, and it sure was fun... :D

(i admit my lvl 80 barb chasing his lvl 4x necro was weak, but i was pissed, and had never done any pvp... still haven't. never actually caught him, he fluxed and finally left b-net)

12. HAMC8112

HAMC8112 IncGamers Member

Hi Syxx,
    you surprise me! Welcome to the darkside.

PS It's Magnus and Tloopz with the lowlvl necro PK's.
    + a funny PK story at the side:
    This morning i was lvlilng my new pala in sewergames when an assaPK joins and hostile's. I asked her if she wanted to fight Dystress, my lvl 18 jabber, she said k but not with the assa she'd get her lvl 18 pala.

We got togetter in a game an we ran out, the pala charges i think the skill is, only to be blocked by my shield. I jabbed her 3 times and i had a new pala ear. He left without saying anything, probably a bit ashamed. That was the worst PK i ever met. Big time suxor! Big time LOL! :lol:

13. Syxx

Syxx IncGamers Member

I'm with you all the way Cooner, my Zon was level 24, and the Necro was 15 ... but when 'they' do something sneaky (in my case) or downright dishonest (in your case) ... mild mannered PvMers like you and me ... can turn in aggressive PKing monsters :D

Pity niether of us managed to catch and execute those pair of 'losers'.

Regards
    Syxx

14. doubleOObubble

doubleOObubble IncGamers Member

In short: Good call!

However, he was with all probability not a PK himself. The reason people make a lvl 15 PK necro is to hunt with, ie, kill actively sort of neglect the possibility he would want to go through all of the CS with you. Nope. I'm sure.

However, he was being a jackass (couldn't the tag-along lvl -10 to the area character behave at least???) so I think you did great!

(Disclaimer: I'm NOT saying a lvl 15 necro can't be an active (ie, not bad TPs) PK. I'm saying it's very unlikely he'd go with a team so far as opening the seals at lvl 15 to kill them outright later.)

15. cyradis2003

cyradis2003 IncGamers Member

LOL ... I think he is more on the pale grey side rather than the actual dark side.

I say more power to ya - sometimes it takes a little scare to start the gobbers on the path towards responsible team play.

(meet polyanna cy, there is good in everyone ... well ok maybe not EVERYONE but most people .... some people ... one in 30?? )

16. Mn_Swe2

Mn_Swe2 IncGamers Member

Yepp, I wrote this thread some weeks ago, so watch out for theese Necros:

http://www.rpgforums.net/showthread.php?t=144709&highlight=lld/hunter+necro

Can't blame you Syxx for going hostile :lol:

And it had not helped if you left the party before going hostile, you hostile the whole party when you hostile a member of it.

/Magnus