Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A good char in which you don't need amazing gear?

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by Fizzle, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Fizzle

Fizzle IncGamers Member

A good char in which you don't need amazing gear?

I have been playing a decent amount now... I have gone through:
    A Meteor Sorc, Lightning sorc, V/T pally, Psn Zon, Trapsin, and a FC druid
    and in every build i choose i see they need Skill GCs to be suffice. I was wondering if their is a cheap build...but EFFECTIVE where you will not necisarily need GCs :)

2. decoy_sJ

decoy_sJ IncGamers Member

i made a hammerdin a few months back..i think if u just maxed the synergies for it and with a level 20 concentration aura..with NO plus skills and everything..u can have a 4k hammer..i think that is pretty feasible.. :thumbsup:

3. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

none of my chars have gc's. the only reason to use a gc is to pump the displayed value of something. nothing needs to be pumped over 20, except to give a slight advantage in pvp, and even then, sc's are generally more helpful.

if your character is weak, a handful of gc's won't make a difference.

4. decoy_sJ

decoy_sJ IncGamers Member

i agree with superhal..almost all of my characters have no +skill GCs..only one i have is a +light skiller in my lightning sorc..most of the +skills u can get from equipment..

5. nafsasp

nafsasp IncGamers Member

my first and only ladder character is a shockadin and i didnt really get any great equipment for him until level 70 or so. The best thing that i had for him was a wand with 97 charges of level 5 confuse! Basiclly to make a good character, you need to really look at the skill synergies and pick carefully. Noone would ever think that a palidin would have 24 ranks in resist lightning.....but guess what? I sure do!

6. svata

svata IncGamers Member

My favorite for a fun good character w/o amazing gear is the Hammerdin. I suggest you go to the Stratergy Compendium and look at the guides. Whatever type of character you plan to build you need to research them and carefully plan your build.

Also should also consider adding a merc. Act2 holy freeze merc works great with Hammerdin. Then the act5 and act2 might mercs are easiest to keep alive without amazing stuff. Your main consideration for them is life leech with you can, in the worst case get from AMN runes.

good luck

7. EyeOfTheStorm

EyeOfTheStorm IncGamers Member

A skelly mancer doesnt need good gear. Start off with junk and ur necro will be good and as u get better gear hell just get stronger. None of my chars use skill grand charms.

8. warding

warding Banned

Tell that to my enchantress. With just +2 skills her killing power is boosted 30 % :S Ive yet to see how high her dmg goes with 10 fire charms :p

9. BleedBlack

BleedBlack Banned

Skellimancer all the way.

Mine uses:

Helm: Peasent Crown
    Armor: Skin of the Viper Magi
    Wand: Arm of King Leoric ***
    Shield: Homunculus***
    Belt: Glooms Trap
    Boots: Silkweaves
    Gloves: Trangs
    Ammy: Rare +2 summoning and resists
    Ring1: MF
    Ring2: MF
    Charms: Jumbled assortment consisting of +resists/+life of different sizes.

***Now all of this gear was incrediably easy to come by except for the homunculus and arm of king leoric. But, even those weren't very exspensive. All of the items can easily be obtained with perfect gems and lower runes. With this setup I have lvl 31 skellies and skellie mastery, 1100 life, and max resists in norm/nm and ok resists in Hell. He is very viable with skeletons and merc (merc uses set wing helm, duriels shell, and bonehew, all pretty easy to get as well)

No skill charms of any kind required to have a good and viable skelliemancer.

My 2 cents.

10. Phresh

Phresh IncGamers Member

IMO the sorceress is the best char for cheap gear because they use their skill dmg rather then the dmg of a weapon and their elemental attack are the highest out of the other chars for ex

you can use

Pheasent Crown
    Vipermagi
    lidless
    2 skills ammy
    rare 2 skills orb
    mana rings
    waterwalks
    frosties
    tgods

and still have a pretty good char