Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A glass guardian.

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by AJK, Nov 6, 2006.

1. AJK

AJK IncGamers Member

A glass guardian.

One of my fellow SPF members (don't worry Freekje, I won't tell them it's you) had a luminous tourney idea. He thought it would be cool to see how far pure dex, untwinked, hardcore, limited muling, amazons could go before dying messily.
    Because the rules of the tourney were simple enough for my amoeba-like brain I decided to join, expecting to die. I only tried HC once before, with a freezealot, but he got snacked on by the Infector of Souls in normal diff.

I signed in with Dex_Addict, the lame-named all-dex certain-death amazon and much to my surprise, I didn't die. I experienced multiple NDE's and had to S&E only once, but I managed to blast/sneak/hide behind the merc throughout all three difficulties.

The rules were simple:
    - Single player, Amazons only. Characters, I mean, not players.
    - Spend all stat points in dexterity.
    - Only mule off. This logical result of this rule is that everyone plays untwinked.
    - The participant with highest dex in the end wins.
    - Hardcore (SC allowed, but death means buh-bye).

Luckily, rerunning and RWM usage were allowed too, without which making Guardian would have been much, much more difficult.

While a bowazon could make optimal use of the dex points, I decided to go with thrown javs instead. The most obvious reason being that a javazon can finish Hell with cracked javelins only. More importantly, good bows come with hefty strength requirements, which I can't have by the rules of this tourney.
    In order to go pure lightning, I really needed a strong merc to take care of LI's, so I went hybrid. Poison/lightning, to be precise. There's no way I could expect to make ultra-merc going untwinked.

In the beginning of the game, I relied on poison/plague javelin for the kills. That worked quite well actually. I finished normal on /P8 (except bosses, I went back to /P1 for them). Once I made it to lvl. 24/30 I got hold of charged strike/lightning fury. Those lightning skills spelled the end of the rest of normal diff, and nightmare too.
    I went through Nightmare on /p8 until act IV and switched to /P5 until Hell, which was played through at /P1 (plus a few /P3 Pit runs).

I've written down my playing experiences in the tourney thread, you can read some of them in posts 81, 149, 209, 229, 237, 248, and last but not least, my battle with Hell ancients and Baal can be found here.

Summary:
    Because I decided to go with an 'Insight' wielding Prayer merc, I benefitted from huge life + mana regeneration. The merc's prayer aura is copied by the meditation from 'Insight', so he heals everyone at double speed. My guesstimation would be around 15 points of life/second, which is a very significant amount if you play with base vit.
    The sick mana regen aura also enabled me to chuck lightning bolts of doom and terror like there was no tomorrow. I hereby thank the two random gremlins that dropped a Sol rune and a Bill for the runeword.

I encountered many dangerous situations, all of which surprisingly leaving me alive, albeit with a nearly empty red bulb. Causes of near-death: snakes, taurs, cursed taurs, champion taurs, elementally enhanced gloams (my only S&E moment), flayer shaman breath (in normal diff.). I quicly learned to appreciate the Decoy, without which I would probably have died in the Flayer dungeon/durance of hate.

Stat screenies:
    - Stat points/life/resists and inventory screen.
    - Merc and javelin tree.
    - Standard zon picture and passive skill tree

My gear, you are allowed to laugh:

Head: 'Lore' helmet.
    +1 skills and light. res. seemed like a good way to spend the second Sol I found.

Amulet: +26 res all chromatic amulet. No explanation necessary, I hope.

Weapon: a +1 jav skills maiden javelin. On switch: a +30% IAS pair of throwing spears.

Armor: 'Peace'. The +2 ama skills meant more killing power, and the CtC lvl. 15 valk meant more skill points to dump into javelin skills.

Shield: A 3 PDiamond large shield. Switch: 'Ancient's Pledge', my main shield's predecessor.

Gloves: Magical, +1 jav skills. I wore a 5% CB blood craft fighting Hell Baal.

Belt: Magical, +79 life (!!!!), +26 max stamina (yeah, whatever)

Ring 1:
    Bitter Loop
    Ring
    Required Level: 30
    Item Version: 1.10+ Expansion
    Item Level: 39
    Fingerprint: 0x6e9ac227
    +6 to Strength
    +27 to Mana
    +77 to Attack Rating
    Poison Resist +24%
    2% Mana stolen per hit

Ring 2:
    Rune Spiral
    Ring
    Required Level: 31
    Item Level: 59
    Fingerprint: 0xdbb1e472
    +5 to Strength
    +7 to Dexterity
    +61 to Attack Rating
    Lightning Resist +25%
    10% Faster Castrate

Boots:
    Wraith Greaves
    Heavy Boots
    Defense: 9
    Durability: 14 of 14
    Required Strength: 18
    Required Level: 18
    Item Level: 64
    Fingerprint: 0x1c8b945c
    +3 to Dexterity
    +37% Enhanced Defense
    Fire Resist +35%
    Poison Resist +26%
    20% Faster Run/Walk

The strength on the rings and charms enabled me to wear a large shield, which can get 3 sockets.
    Other backpack fillers included mostly life charms and some resist charms too.

Final thoughts:
    Insight is haxx.
    Lightning fury is haxx.

Apart from that, I'm still very much shocked/surprised that
    - I made my first guardian.
    - I made an untwinked guardian.
    - I made an untwinked guardian with no points in vitality and strength.
    - And no extended ATMA stash either.

2. Crazy Runner Guy

Crazy Runner Guy IncGamers Member

I raise a glass in your honor, on Durf's tab of course.

Yup.

crg

3. Naab

Naab IncGamers Member

Gongratziolatsionsions.How did the lvl 15 valk lived?

4. Hp_Sauce

Hp_Sauce IncGamers Member

AJK is haxx.!!

amazing, truely amazing!

I suppose if I had to be beaten there is no better way of being humbled then being beaten by a 2nd time HC player. :cry:

congrats again though man.

-hps

5. Freekje

Freekje IncGamers Member

Super awesome amazing powerfull! You are my hero! :grin: :thumbsup: :jig:

6. Atil

Atil IncGamers Member

Congrats AJK. Sounds (reads?) like you had fun with the character too. Very impressive to make a successful change to HC. Is there no going back to SC now?

7. aitrus

aitrus IncGamers Member

OK I just had to read through your updates at dex tourney 'cause of this...

Huge, awesome grats! :thumbsup: you da man!

Any plans for her, maybe more Baal runs?! sure sounds like fun :grin: :tongue:

8. Bockhorn

Bockhorn IncGamers Member

That's an incredible achievement, I wouldn't even make it pass Duriel in Normal. Are you planning any new "crazy" project to push the limit? :)

9. Cormallon

Cormallon IncGamers Member

Congrats !

I'm glad I didn't join that tourney, I wouldn't have a chance ;)

10. AJK

AJK IncGamers Member

The lvl 15. lass could take more pain than my merc, which is a plus. Too bad her damage is still quite poor.

Maybe I should've kept my mouth shut about my first HC misfortune. :devil:
    I hope that you'll make it as far as me too.

I will keep playing (very twinked) SC whenever an interesting build pops up in a guide, or my sick imagination. It's nice to be able to take a SC toon and go mental on D2's denizens without worrying about that one and last mistake you can make, because the HC challenge is nice, but also quite nerve wracking.

I'll try to get my freezealot mark II to guardian. Heck, maybe I'll even try an untwinked sept. I've got one of them guardianed already :laugh:.

Running Hell Baal will get me killed (yes me, not my zon). I think I'll go for NM Meph/Hell Pit runs instead. Can't resist shiny itamz. Shiny HC itamz.

Maybe I'll join another HC tourney to push my limit. My next project will be an 'easy' one again. A SC titan zerker barb, nicely twinked and very deadly.

I will also pick up my untwinked HC freezealot mark II and try to get him to guardian too. That will be, errr, fun. Melee means I actually have to get close to the critters to kill them. No LF storms from a safe distance, behind two tanks.

11. DrLove

DrLove Banned

Impressive stuff. GG on the Guardian.

12. Liquid_Evil

Liquid_Evil IncGamers Member

Masterfully done, hero!

13. Gaz

Gaz IncGamers Member

Impresssive stuff. A guardian is always nice. A no vitality guardian even more so. Congrats

14. Llathias

Llathias Banned

Guardianing such a fragile build untwinked with basically no HC experience! That's simply amazing! I bow before you, master AJK...

15. Thyiad

Thyiad Moderator Single Player, D2 Assassin, Barbarian

Congratulations! Guardian is always a major achievement, but to for the first character and untwinked; outstanding. :thumbsup:

16. oakienko

oakienko IncGamers Member

grats AJK =)
    I hope to see myself and others up there with you. We can make a club! :cool:

17. Deaddave

Deaddave IncGamers Member

you teh 1337. now do it with no gear and only using craked javlins :p

18. crazy_bear

crazy_bear IncGamers Member

Wow, impressive accomplishment. :thumbsup:

Good decision on build I think, amazing to get by Hell Ancients!

CB

19. neumein

neumein IncGamers Member

Bully-Barb! Max out bash, war-cry, and Battle orders. Scream at something, and punch it till it dies. Rinse repeat. This will push my skills.