Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A Fun Melee Build?

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Mraezk, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Mraezk

Mraezk IncGamers Member

A Fun Melee Build?

*waves*

I've grown somewhat bored with my sorc and necro, and their continuous Bhaal/ Meph runs, so I thought I would try something new. My only experience with a melee build in the Expansion and 1.10 was my Phoenix Strike Assassin, which was quite fun.

So any recommendations towards less then cookie cutter, yet still slightly viable in hell, melee builds or ideas? The various class forums offer some good suggestions, but a good portion of them are pretty MP centric (Get rushed, trade for items, and all of that). A build that could make use of an act 1 rogue would also be quite splendid at this point, since I'm so sick of the Act II fellows. I also generally prefer to play through at least Normal and Nightmare at /players 8, and a good portion of hell too if possible.

I'd really love to try a barbarian or amazon. I did manage to get a Strafer up to around level 40, but she seems pretty boring. Although I still like the idea of playing an amazon since I've never actually killed Bhaal with one. A barbarian with a big heavy weapon, too, sounds like fun. And since I do have a pretty decent stash now, thanks to the two previous characters, some more gear heavy builds should be possible. I've considered a druid as well, but since their were forms look so silly, they've never held much interest to me. That was before learning their elemental tree wasn't entirely useless however.

So far I'm considering,

Barb with big weapon of various amounts of pain. (Scythes would be neat.)
    Amazon with a bow (I think I have a Bruiza or whatnot stashed away.)
    Melee/elemental druid. (Not entirely melee, but still something new for me.)
    A paladin that doesn't spam hammers. (I tried hammerdins, too annoying to aim those suckers.)
    Another MA assassin. (I had a lvl 70ish one during the 1.10 beta. It was fun, but repetitive.)

I played barbarians alot in D2 classic (unpatched too I think), but they still seem fun for some reason. Possibly its just fond memories of act II carrying over. Maybe a build specifically geared toward the Ancient tunnels, hrm....

2. sunbearie

sunbearie IncGamers Member

Not many melee zon skills. For something powerful, yet "non-cookiecutter", try my patented lightning spearazon?
    Lightning strike is a powerful melee, powerful and you can use an act I rogue merc(she's complementary being fire/cold) since you already have 2 tanks. Use jab as a back-up for LIs if necessary (even 1pt will do). The equipment can be basic, a +4 skills "honor" mat spear works brilliantly well and thats a very basic weapon.

Other possible builds,
    fireclaw bear, rabies druid(with summons), ES enchantress(you be the tank).

3. Shagsbeard

Shagsbeard IncGamers Member

I enjoyed playing a tesladin... basically a Zeal using, Holy Shock active guy with as much - enemy lightnightning resist as you can muster. I had griffon's eye, and a cresent moon phaseblade. He was melee, but when he went back to run some earlier areas, the aura alone is enough to kill stuff. It's kinda fun not even having to target, just walk through and watch stuff fall.

4. ChaoticTwitch

ChaoticTwitch IncGamers Member

its always good to hear ppl interested in non-cookie cutter builds. as of for my recomendations hmmm... i had A LOT of fun building a tankazon. she can be a bit frustrating at times but is very hell viable with a little of patience. i think there is a guid in the amazon forum or something. Another neat build that was really fun was the Hunter. had more fun with this build than most others ( also a guid aviable for ideas/help if u need it). ive also recently been working on a bowasin. great chalange, and good fun if your into that kinda thing.

cheers, C.T.

5. skoolbus

skoolbus IncGamers Member

This is a cookie cutter build, but IMO the funnest char of all time to play, a Lightning fury amazon. It is fun to throw 1 jav and watch a ripple effect happen when the monsters fall down dead :)

6. PinkeyandtheBrain

PinkeyandtheBrain Banned

IT is so fun, the LF zon is a new and dynamic build for me as it is my first zon try it its really cool.
    I think a kinda cool build might be a bash/stun baba with iron skin shout and weap mastry

7. RDC

RDC IncGamers Member

AXE BARBS!!! My first character to actually win the game was a 2 handed axer and while they are not cookie cutter they are fun!

8. Mraezk

Mraezk IncGamers Member

Hmm....hadn't considered a melee Amazon before. A melee one does sound interesting. I think I have a few decent spears as well, hrmm...

Looking through my stashes, I'm really drawn to a scythe using barbarian. Not sure what combat skill to use though, since whirlwind has a high mana cost and frenzy requires two weapons. Concentration might work though. I suppose I'll have decide between a barb with dual Lightsabres or a barb using Reapers (although the high req seems rough), then plan skills accordingly.

9. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

Be warned a concentrate barb can be very boring. They are the absolute definition of point and click. So if you're looking for fun I'd avoid that build, it just gets very repetitive.

10. Cattleya

Cattleya IncGamers Member

If you want to use a Scythe, put it on the character with the best attack rate with it. Only one character can hit 9 frames with a regular attack. The Enchantress!

Come on now, you didn't really think I could see scythe and stay silent, did you? :D

My scythe enchantress is in Act II Hell right now, and I'm hoping to mat her by the end of the month. I won't say it's an easy build, but I had no problems with /p8 in normal and nightmare. Hell is a little trickier due to her low life, so I've been going /p1. She kills well, especially the non-FI beasties. Someone with better equipment might have an easier time of it. The other advantage is that since the sorceress gets a crappy return on investment in vitality, you don't have to feel guilty about lots of points in dex and strength.

11. BFD

BFD IncGamers Member

My favourite melee build is definately the smiter.

12. Mraezk

Mraezk IncGamers Member

Ahh, wow. I forgot all about enchantresses. That sounds really tempting. I'd think they would have a hard time surviving later on without a shield however. Although since I've yet to find a single stormshield, (Stupid Meph) sticking with a non-shield build would be much more enjoyable.

13. ChaoticTwitch

i also recomend the enchantress, very fun!! if you want to use a scyth i aslo recomend a meleemancer. Like the comandomancer and such of the like. A few rune words here and there and u got a melee force to recon with ( can be very expensive though) On the scyth barb question i have a flyingbooyaka (leaper-barb) using the soulhavest right now since he is low lvl. He looks awsome with the scythe, definite stye points :D and rips through anything in his way!!!

cheers, C.T.

14. Derrick1001

Derrick1001 IncGamers Member

I hear that assassin kickers are good fun.

That's one of the builds I'm planning on making sometime. As a nice bonus, they're apparently not only viable, but do quite well.

Smiter was my favorite melee build in 1.09, now not so much.

Leaping Barbs is a really fun build. It can get frustrating when it bugs though. Still, it's fun to bunny hop and the whole room full of monsters flys to the walls :). Great Crowd Control. Damn Heavy Hitters too.

15. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Frenzy babas are lot of fun! Also I really enjoy playing Blade Fury Assassin. If you want something stronger, go for LF/CS zon (another vote) - I use CS more than LF, so it almost match the melee descritpion.
    Or look to your stash of goodies, and find a really good weapon or something that deserves to build a character around it.

16. Mraezk

Mraezk IncGamers Member

I'm curious as to if something like a Freezing Arrow (Frost Maiden?) / Lightning Fury Amazon could work. Since Freezing arrow really only has 1 worth while syn, and Lightning Fury doesn't appear to have any (1% damage doesn't seem like much).

So maybe
    17 valk (maybe less)
    20 Freezing Arrow
    20 ice arrow
    20 Lightning furry.

With the rest in pre-reqs, and passive skills.

17. Hrus

Hrus IncGamers Member

Yes this hybrid can work very well.

18. ChaoticTwitch

yeah i was playing my leaper when the bug hit him right before getting the last seal in Chaos Sanctuary. I had to fight diablo without my leap attack. took a while but i did it. then i resarted the game, and he worked again! really weird, and sweet since i can still use his LA :thumbsup:

i think that hiybrid would work as well. i havnt built a frostmaiden my self, but from what other ppl say in these forums is that she works very well (and the hybrid versions).

cheers, C.T.

19. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

LF/FA zon works well, I have one at lvl 93

Unleechables and act bosses can ba a problem

Berserker barb is a nice build, some people don't like it though

20. XDoomasX

XDoomasX IncGamers Member

Yes berserk build is great non cookie cutter.But i dont like the idea of using warcray.So maby cons/zerk barb could suit your needs.20bo,20cons,20shout,
    20mastery,rest zerk.Looks sexy.My hc barb is curently using this build :D