A frustrating day finally solved

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
A frustrating day finally solved

I am not real happy with Dell right now. I bought Liam a computer 2 years ago from Dell. He needed a new one and I didn't have the cash upfront to build one for him so I financed it through Dell Financial. When ordering it, I ordered the Windows XP installation disk.

Sunday night Liam leaves me a message on my laptop saying that his computer is broke and could I fix it for him. At around 11:30 pm I take a look at it. The message says something along the lines of the config.sys file is corrupt and to put in the installation disk and press R. I did that..nothing. I did it again..again nothing.

Since he has so much crap on his computer, I decided a reformat was in order..just to clean it out and get it running better for him. I pop the disk in and load the OS. All is fine and dandy until I try to get on the internet. No device found. Being that he has an on board ethernet port, I figured it was shot since Winblows didn't detect it. Same with the sound..no device detected. Great.

Yesterday I had classes and work so I was unable to work on it. I heard he had a fit when he got home and didn't have a working computer (teens can be so ungrateful at times). At least this morning he asked nicely if I could keep trying to fix it.

I decide that I should just buy a new ethernet card and sound card. I bought the cheapest available. Both ran $40.00 so I got off pretty easy. I crack open the case, slap in the cards and boot up. Winblows doesn't detect either one. I load the drivers that came with the cards and within 5 minutes its up and running with sound and internet. Liam will be a happy boy when he gets home.

I do have to wonder why this supposed installation disk does not come with basic drivers. I may just buy an authentic copy of XP from school in case I have to reload on my laptop. I realize this is partially my fault for not keeping better track of the drivers that came with the computer, but shouldn't an install disk have at least the basic ones?

Moral of the story..save everything when you buy a Dell. I paid extra to have this instal disk and it was only half useful.

Stompwampa

Diabloii.Net Member
They charge you for the Windows install disc? That's a steaming pile of poo right there.
Actually, now that I think about it, my wife just a got a new laptop, and they never sent us the windows disc with it. WTF! What if I have to re-install windows? Is that some lame-*** scheme to get me to buy a new computer from them instead?

Moral of the story: don't buy a Dell.

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah..you pay extra for that. I think you get a free recovery CD..but I didn't want that. Thing is..when you buy that disk..it has no drivers on it. How useful is that?

Like I said, I am going to buy a real version from school. Liam is all set with his computer now and my other laptop runs Linux.

Stompwampa

Diabloii.Net Member
I just think that it's bull**** that you have to pay extra for the CD of a program you already purchased. They should send you the install disc automatically. What are you supposed to do if you need to re-install Windows?

Don't they now charge you for the recovery disk too? Or is it that you have to make your own off of some software installed on the recovery partition?

Athelstan

Diabloii.Net Member
Hey zodi, I had the same problem reformatting my Dell. The drivers and other applications are on one disc, and the installation files are on another. It took me several hours to find both discs. I agree, its crazy that they wouldn't include drivers with the installation disc.

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
I agree completely. I do remember when I bought my first computer..it only came with a recovery CD and not the "authentic" disk.

Freet

Diabloii.Net Member
Zodi,

I have had to do the same thing and found the hard way that, when you re-install you have to take the seperate driver disc and load the drivers. If you don't the ethernet and sound won't work. This is a pretty easy task though if you have the disc.

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
Freet..I managed to misplace the disks. I do admit that was my fault. I just figured that Winblows could detect them. Funny thing, the graphic card works fine.

Point being that an install disk should come with at least the basic drivers...all drivers, especially when you pay extra for it.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
Freet..I managed to misplace the disks. I do admit that was my fault. I just figured that Winblows could detect them. Funny thing, the graphic card works fine.

Point being that an install disk should come with at least the basic drivers...all drivers, especially when you pay extra for it.

In the future, if you have a similar problem, before buying new cards, there is another option. If you know the make and model of what's in there, you can try www.driversguide.com to get the drivers. Use the sign in name "drivers", and the password "all", it's better IMO to spend a half hour dropping by there if you have a working computer nearby before spending money on new stuff.

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
In the future, if you have a similar problem, before buying new cards, there is another option. If you know the make and model of what's in there, you can try www.driversguide.com to get the drivers. Use the sign in name "drivers", and the password "all", it's better IMO to spend a half hour dropping by there if you have a working computer nearby before spending money on new stuff.
Thanks for the link. The problem that I ran into though was they were on board devices and not cards.

Quietus

Diabloii.Net Member
Thanks for the link. The problem that I ran into though was they were on board devices and not cards.
No problem... And I'll bet that I could still find the drivers for on board devices, even if they weren't on DG. Resourcefulness is wonderful :grin:

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
I've also never understood why you have to pay extra to get the disks of something you just bought. Ok, I understand the materials cost of the disk, and the extra shipping/production costs, but those can't be any more than about $2, right?

Anyone know if this is a Dell-only problem or if it is common to all name-brand sellers?

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
I have run into another issue. Liam uses this program called Ventrilo when he plays his games with his clan. I get no error messages, but they cannot hear him talk. He can hear them fine. I have looked at all the settings and they appear to be correct. His mic is not muted either.

Does anyone else use this program and if so, could you give me a bit of help?

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
I can! (Maybe). I use Ventrilo all the time. I think you'll have to be a little more specific on your problem though. If you go to the voice tab in the setup menu, do you have DirectSound enabled for both input and output? And is the mic selected as the input device?

zodiac66

Diabloii.Net Member
No direct sound was not enabled..the sound card was.

Maybe that will fix it for him. He may have tried that though. I told him last night to tell his clan mates that his mom couldn't figure it out and he needs help. He looked at me agast and said that is not something he would ever admit over the internet.

Jonsey, I don't know why you have to pay for it extra either. Other than the fact that if you do need to reformat you are stuck either paying for their "service" or buying an authentic disc from them. I know HP used to do the same thing.

You would think it would be easier for them just to provide the whole OS on disc. But then, you get idiots like me who loose the driver disc and are at their mercy. Well..I wasn't, I just had to spend $40.00.

I tell you, I am buying the student version of XP as soon as I get some money.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Good idea. It's dirt cheap for students.

I don't think I could find the drivers for my PC. I got it in 2001. I've moved about 7 times since then.

For Vent, I use the direct sound input because then you can access the SFX options, like putting all the sound in your right or left ear so you can listen to other things like game sounds or music in your other. It has some other neat little functions too.

BlueDogAnchorite

Diabloii.Net Member
They charge you for the Windows install disc? That's a steaming pile of poo right there.
Actually, now that I think about it, my wife just a got a new laptop, and they never sent us the windows disc with it. WTF! What if I have to re-install windows? Is that some lame-*** scheme to get me to buy a new computer from them instead?

Moral of the story: don't buy a Dell.
You could always borrow somebody's disc and use a program like magic jelly bean finder to decipher the cd key from the registry.