for a

amd athlon xp 2000
1 gig ram
ati 9xxx graphics
160 gb hd
dvd drive
cd-rw burner

well it would be a huge difference to my 450 mhz 512 mb ram machine,
i need the pc mainly for internet/some older games, and im not happy with my current one (even surfing the internet with my dsl 2k is annoying slow sometimes, not to mention 8 player games in d2)

how do you rate this offer?
is windows 2000 professional as good as win xp
(are there features i cant use with this old stable win??)

bladesyz

Diabloii.Net Member
130 €

for a

amd athlon xp 2000
1 gig ram
ati 9xxx graphics
160 gb hd
dvd drive
cd-rw burner

i need the pc mainly for internet/some older games, and im not happy with my current one (even surfing the internet with my dsl 2k is annoying slow sometimes, not to mention 8 player games in d2)

Windows 2000 sucks, but unless there's something very wrong with the specs listed here, just the ram and HD are worth 130 pounds (it's pounds, right?). I'm not too familiar with current athlon specs though, so I'm not too sure about the processor.

AeroJonesy

Diabloii.Net Member
Euros. That's about 175 USD or so. I think that's a pretty good deal. Those specs are comparable to what I run now, and my PC runs Diablo just fine. It does everything I need to do, I can even play WoW on it (1GB RAM, 1.5GHz processor, Radeon 9550).

funpop

Diabloii.Net Member
its euro's even less money

there is nothing wrong, just not sure which graphic card it is exactly but its ati 9xxx..

its because he wanted a new pc because we got valueadded tax increase next year, its a friendly offer

i gonna run a benchmark before i buy..

can you tell me, why windows 2000 suck ?

bg1256

Diabloii.Net Member
Sounds pretty good to me. The HD and RAM alone would probably cost that much, or somewhere close to it.

I've not used an AMD processor before, nor have I used Windoze 2000.

Savage

Diabloii.Net Member
Yeah it's a good deal. I'm assuming the 9xxx means something low like a 95xx or a 92xx. As has been said you'd be hard pressed to buy the RAM or HD alone for 130 euros. It's by no means fast by todays standards, you'd struggle to run modern games on decent settings, but if you're on a tight budget I say go for it.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Pretty decent for a rock-bottom machine. What's the CPU speed though?

I always heard bad things about Win 2000, but who cares what OS is on it? Just install your favourite.

funpop

Diabloii.Net Member
its 1,667 ghz 266 fsb (ddr) 256 kb L2 cache

what ever fsb and l2 cache are, hehe

amd uses the number 2000, because this cpu is similar in speed of a 2 ghz P4 cpu afaik

im not much interested in the modern games, i wanna be able to run a need for speed racer maybe (not the newest)

yeah budget is kinda tight, i am a student..

im using win 2000 professional on my current machine, and its the most stable OS ive ever worked with..but maybe for gaming/multimedia issues XP is better..maybe 2000 doesnt suppoert everything the cpu could do (the cpu has an designed for XP label)..

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
Is everyone reading 2000 and thinking Millennium? I've never heard anything bad about 2000, and haven't had a bad experience with it.
Maybe I'm thinking of ME, I mean I know that's the dreaded version but I thought I also heard bad things about 2000. It might just be because it was the first version to cease backwards compatibility and at the same time it isn't recent anymore so there's bugger all reason to use it.

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
its 1,667 ghz 266 fsb (ddr) 256 kb L2 cache

what ever fsb and l2 cache are, hehe

amd uses the number 2000, because this cpu is similar in speed of a 2 ghz P4 cpu afaik
Oh, okay. Sounds like a pretty decent deal (if I understand Euros correctly).

im not much interested in the modern games, i wanna be able to run a need for speed racer maybe (not the newest)
Run Stunts...

yeah budget is kinda tight, i am a student..

im using win 2000 professional on my current machine, and its the most stable OS ive ever worked with..but maybe for gaming/multimedia issues XP is better..maybe 2000 doesnt suppoert everything the cpu could do (the cpu has an designed for XP label)..
I'd say for gaming it doesn't matter whether you use 2000 or XP (as long as you don't play really old games, in that case I think they're both bad), someone who's actually used those OSes might know better than me though.

But of course, you can always put XP on that machine too if you have the CD...

raffster

Diabloii.Net Member
130 €

for a

amd athlon xp 2000
1 gig ram
ati 9xxx graphics
160 gb hd
dvd drive
cd-rw burner

Go for it. That's really cheap. Don't worry about Win 2K unless you need something that strictly runs on XP...and there are really a few things that won't run on Win2K.

neumein

Diabloii.Net Member
Win2K is awesome, if you ask me. It's stable, runs virtually anything, and does them well. The only problem I've had with Win2K, is the fact that it is stubborn, making you reboot (to be on the safe side) when you install hardware/software, etcetera....

Other than that, Win2K is fine. After all, isn't XP based on Win2K? :scratch:

Dondrei

Diabloii.Net Member
That's probably because everyone who doesn't refuse to install XP wouldn't have 2k on their computer anymore, though...