Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A Formal Introduction...and a few questions

Discussion in 'Single Player Forum' started by Ravenclaw, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Ravenclaw

Ravenclaw IncGamers Member

A Formal Introduction...and a few questions

Hi SPFers!

I've been lurking around these forums for a while now but mainly to soak up the incredible knowledge base you guys have created here on D2. Its amazing to read the in-depth analyses of the minutest aspect of this amazing game.

Also, the high standards of code of conduct and moral play practised here are indeed commendable.

About me. I am from India...any other Indians on these forums??? Would LOVE to meet some countrymen!! and i've been playing D2 for about three years now...but its always been sporadic...so no big characters to talk about. Bnet was imposible due to bad internet connections....so i am a hard core SP guy! Cheers to that after reading about the -ve points of the realms!!

Recently i've made a Spearzon who is now level 65 and making her way through Act5 NM. I gather from these forums that spearzons are a bit tough to take through hell so i'll appreciate inputs on the following:

1. Any particular gear or weapons that i MUST have?
    I've had the most awful luck so far...my best being a Valkyrie Wing (which i socketed from Larzuk ans put in a perfect skull). And i have a Glyph Bite Ceremonial Pike (upgrade recipe from cube) which does a 47-107 damage (need to improve this FAST!) and has +2 to Passive and magic and +1 to Zon skills.

2. What is the relevance of Magic Damage Reduced by 1 or 2?

3. How can i improve magic find on my character? currently i have a MF of only 4% (shocking i know...but please bear with me!)

4. WHich skills ned to be maxed out? I'm concentrating on Charged Strike, Lightning Strike, Power Strike and Fend.

5. And finally, its wonderful to be part of this great D2 SPF family.
    :wave:

2. Wolfgang Abenteuer

Wolfgang Abenteuer IncGamers Member

First off, Welcome! :)

As for what gear to use, it depends on which character you're using. Sounds like you're playing a Javazon, and I know absolutely nothing about Javazons (always played Bowazons, myself) so someone else will have to help you there.

As for how to get more MF, there are several ways, but the easy way is to put on a four-socket armour and a three-socket helm and put Perfect Topazes in them. That'll give you 168%. After that, there are quite a few low-level unique items that give good MF - Chance Guards (Chain Gloves), Goldwrap (Heavy Belt), Nagelring (Ring), for example, are all quite easy to find and all help build up your MF.

Anyway, I'm not much help, but welcome to the forums nonetheless! :)

~Wolfgang

3. Milamber

Milamber Banned

Welcome to the SPF, hope you enjoy your stay.

4. strijdje

strijdje IncGamers Member

Welcome to the forums :wave:

i dont have much expirience with spear-a-zons so you wont have much from my advice

robin

5. Crudesash68

Crudesash68 IncGamers Member

Some general tips that may be helpful:

With weapons, speed is crucial. I am no Zon expert, so it may be that all spears are at the same weapon speed for her (they may all read as "very fast", for example). Weapons of the same class (such as spears or javelins) have a base speed, and each character wields them differently. Whether you are stabbing or throwing, you want at least a "fast" attack speed. Now, the trick is knowing how much damage to sacrifice in order to gain more speed. Someone here brighter than me may have a devised a system that says use a weapon with X speed up to Y damage, then switch at point Z to a weapon with more damage or speed, as necessary.

Making a long story short, better weapon speed is a good thing. If you have enough gold, try to gamble gloves; within a few tries, you will likely find a rare with decent modifiers. With better luck, you'll find a pair with an increased attack speed modifier.

Magic damage reduced by 1 or 2 is probably not worth keeping the item that provides the bonus unless it has other valuable modifiers (or mods). Not too many monsters attack with magic (Duriel is a notable, nasty exception), but at the point you are at in the game, that 1 or 2 won't make a big difference.

Also, I would try to make the runeword "stealth". It uses the runes TAL & ETH (in that order). It provides very nice bonuses-mana regen, faster hit recovery, faster run/walk, reduces magic damage by 3:teeth: ....very effective, and the runes are fairly easy to find. Just be sure to only use white or grey socketed armors. Some suggestions for your level would be cuirass, mage plate, wyrmhide or wire fleece. These are all exceptional/elite armors, light (so no loss of running speed), and fairly low STR requirements.

Wolfgang's suggestiosn for MF are dead on. Load up on Perfect topaz, and do some NM Mephisto runs...before long, you should a decent cache of items to equip yourself and your merc with.

Good luck, and a hearty welcome to the SPF!

Steve

6. My_Immortal6

My_Immortal6 IncGamers Member

Ravenclaw, what version of the game are you playing? In 1.10 fend is bugged horribly, which sucks, so you might want to go with Lightning Strike for larger packs, charged strike for bosses and smaller packs and maybe jab for anything else. Also, pour points into Valk, as she is great at high levels. You will also need massive amounts of life to survive Hell without any blocking.

EDIT: I just read what your weapon is, and I can help you. Post your email and I will send you a Lycander's Flank. This should be good enough until you can find a Stoneraven or something like that.

7. Metelgear

Metelgear IncGamers Member

Welcome to SPF!

Regards,
    -Metelgear :winner:

8. Ravenclaw

Hi My_Immortal,

Lycander's Flank would be fantastic! Man...i've only seen this on diabloii.net !! Really appreciate this! :buddies:
    email: [email protected]

and ooops!...Fend is bugged? am at lvl 17 (12 + 5 from equip)
    my valk is at 5 ...she's ok for normal monsters but the bosses just kick her ***.
    tahnks again!

9. My_Immortal6

Well the Fend bug occurs once you miss, then all subsequent swings will miss. So perhaps put plenty of points into Penetrate to help your AR. Valkyrie will always suffer against bosses. However, my maxed Valk will survive against dual might enchanted extra fast boss packs in hell difficulty without a scratch.

Mule sent. :)

10. Ravenclaw

Mule received!

Mule has been duly received!
    O Boy! i cant wait to get home and try it out!
    thanx!!

11. Ragnarod

Ragnarod DiabloII.Net Pal

Welcome to the forums Ravenclaw! I'm not much of an amazon fan, but if you ever have a paladin related question, feel free to ask :D

12. Randall

Randall IncGamers Member

Hi There,

welcome to the SPF. (IIRC: you allready posted a bit in the SPF)

IIRC:
    It reduces fire/lightning/cold and magic damage.
    It workes before resistances are done.
    It workes nice against small elemental damage dealors or damage that is dealt over an amount of time, skills like most fire skills, a lot of elemental druid skills.
    For example Firewall does 25 times damage in a second and the MDR is applied each time.

EDIT: Take a look right here, it's all there
    http://www.hut.fi/~tgustafs/damagereduction.html

Find items with %mf. (Actually, just build a fishymancer)

Randall

13. jiansonz

jiansonz IncGamers Member

Welcome!

1. I see you have alreay been given a great spear, so I´ll skip this. However, if you ever need any hints on how to assemble gear when playing untwinked (character and merc uses only what that character finds) at various stages of the game, I´ll gladly help out. These are my favourite questions to answer.

2. Not very much.
    You will have to get it up to around 20 to notice any difference, really. Some special attacks, like Diablo´s Pink Lightning and the Infernos from Flayer Shamen, consist of many small "packages" of damage, which means that a decent MDR can be helpful.

3. I usually wear armor with 3-4 perfect topazes all the way through Nightmare and some sort of Circlet of Luck or a rare one with MF. Same with boots and Amulet. Rare gloves and rings can also have decent MF (up to 25) along with other useful stuff.

Mercenarys don´t really need any "survival" armor/headgear before Hell, so you can easily load up on MF there and let the merc deal the killing blow against bosses.

4. Charged Strike rocks against large targets, no doubt about that. I have no experience with using spears with an amazon but I would probably pump Dodge quite a bit since the character lacks a shield.

14. LprMan

LprMan IncGamers Member

:wave:

Welcome to SPF!

:buddies:

15. Ravenclaw

16. Ravenclaw

well ....i never even knew something like "untwinked" characters existed before these forums. i was intending to ask someone anyway. so thanks for clearing up THAT little matter!
    :)

17. Ravenclaw

Boy! I just gave my spearzon the Lacander's Flank u sent me and watch her go now! Her Power strike alone does a 450-2300 damage and she cleaned up hephasto like a knife through butter! i might even try /players 3/4 now!!

cant thank u enough! :yep:

18. TenYearsGone

TenYearsGone IncGamers Member

Another happy customer

19. Kaysaar

Kaysaar IncGamers Member

Welcome to the SPF! :howdy:

Enjoy your stay

20. My_Immortal6

No problems man, it's amazing what a little bit of twinking can do to your character. :)