Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A fire/light Sorc is it possible??

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by steve2677, Apr 7, 2004.

1. steve2677

steve2677 IncGamers Member

A fire/light Sorc is it possible??

Or is there too many good skills which need there synergies all maxed??? Like meteor/fireball/mastery and chain/lightning/mastery?? I would like some ideas/suggestions for a light/fire build as i have a near perfect eschutas and would like to use it in a fire/light build for fun :D That and it would break this orb/xxxxx skill combo that is over used imho. Dont get me wrong those combos are awesome i just want a different build.

2. Nathanjk

Nathanjk IncGamers Member

Just so you know the eschutas isn't that great for lightning. That said you gave me a great idea. Unforutionately I dont know if I have the resources to try that.

If I were going this route here is how I would do it.
    20 lightning
    20 Chain lightning
    20 Lightning mastery
    20 fireball
    1 in tele
    1 in warmth
    remaining into firemastery then firebolt after that.

Assuming you have good gear this might work fairly well. The only reason I prefer orb again is the less needed points.

3. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

why isn't eschuta's good? i gain 500 damage on my CL with it, a 28% gain. 40% fcr makes it 2nd only to wizspike and spectral shard.

my plan is somethng like this:
    20 firewall
    1 fire mastery
    80 pts cl + synergies

although i'm still tweaking it. i found that cl is awesome with a timered spell, as it can be spammed between casts (CL/Orb rocks!) so maybe even hydra or meteor. but, firewall does great damage unsynergized with no mastery.

4. Nathanjk

I guess I wasn't specific enough. The % damage doesn't help much with lightning but the skills do. Compare it to the occy which has the same skills and you will see.

5. Prodigy

Prodigy IncGamers Member

yea, because light mastery already adds huge amounts of damage, and facets and % damage increasers from items are negligible.

6. xib

xib IncGamers Member

7. th5418

th5418 Banned

Its possible, but not exactly high damage. Lightning and fire tree skills both need synergies to do high damage.

8. dlantz

dlantz IncGamers Member

I've never tried it, but would an Enchant/Nova sorc be possible for fire/light? Nova combo with Static actually does decent damage if you can survive up close to the mobs, and an enchant sorc is probably the best set up for tanking. (Static/Nova the weak ones, then finish the rest with enchant?)

9. steve2677

HMMM okay not exactley what i wanted for responses.... I know there are alot of good posters/players here come on guys give me an idea that you may have had but never did etc. I would like some build feedback like take these skills etc and why i should do that.

10. Nathanjk

That still seems weak to me. Plus it seems like a stretch. If you wanted nova I think you would be better off using fireball as well. I havn't tried nova but it just looks like a ton of mana for very little damage.

11. Superhal

Superhal IncGamers Member

well, the only problem i see is not enough skill points, unless you meant "chain lightning" instead of "chain/lightning."

12. steve2677

Okay lets see if this gets the sorc forum buzzing LOL heres my first skill setup:

20 charged bolt
    20 lightning
    1 telekinesis
    1 teleport
    1 static
    20 light mastery

20 hydra
    20 fire mastery
    1 firebolt
    1 fireball
    1 warmth
    1 enchant

I have tried a charged boltress already and i loved spamming charged and watching OMG what damage does that do as it depletes all none light immune monsters health to zero rather fast.:D Of course i had to spam like 40 waves of it but still fun:D

13. Nathanjk

CB is fun but hydra will disappoint you. It takes it a while to kill fire immunes. I still think you would be better off puting that into fireball.

14. steve2677

Okay how about another semi decent idea:

1 static
    20 nova
    1 telekinesis
    1 teleport
    20 light mastery

1 inferno
    1 firbolt
    1 fireball
    1 firewall
    1 blaze
    20 meteor
    20 fire mastery

This would do well id think with a max block dr sorc as she spams nove and waits for meteor to drop:D I also think this build would definitley require a hf act 2 merc.
    P.S. Ne other suggestions out there?

15. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

I would strongly advise against Nova. You will need ALOT of +1 Lightning Skill GCs to make it output some usuable damage in Hell, combined with 105% FCR
    The other Lightning Spells are alot better concerning damage:

This build could also work out fine, with about +12 skills:

1 Fireball (1437.2-1700.9) (This is still some damage that can be worked with as a spammer inbetween)....
    20 Meteor (7042.3-7355.3)
    20 Fire Mastery

5 Chain Lightning (12-2546.5)
    20 Chain Lightning (5.5-2555.7)
    15 Lightning Mastery
    Why this distribution? With this setup you get Max damage CL with 40 points available. The remaining skillpoint can then go into Lightning and LM.

Total points required:
    1 Warmth
    1 Firebolt
    1 Fireball
    1 Inferno
    1 Blaze
    1 Firewall
    20 Meteor
    20 Fire Mastery

1 Static Field
    1 Telekinesis
    1 Teleport
    1 Charged Bolt
    5 Lightning
    20 Chain Lightning
    15 Lightning Mastery

90 points, finished at lvl 78 if you get boosted to Act4 Hell.
    This still leaves 12 points open til lvl90, which is reachable.
    You can add 5 point to LM, thats for sure to max it. And give the rest of 7 point to Lightning or Fireball, to get some more damage for your attack spells.

Example:
    12 Lightning (13.5-4994.4)
    20 Chain Lightning (7.7-3561.5)
    20 LM

or

8 Fireball (2630.6-2986.6; now this looks alot better aswell :))
    20 Meteor (8963-9361.3; same here)
    20 Fire Mastery
    (edit: correction that makes lvl8 FB...)

The other remaining 5 points would go into LM, or if you want more Firedamage, then even into Fireball. Moving 5 to LM thoug would even out the damage dealt from both trees.

That would a very good damage improvement.
    I'd say this would be a VERY viable build, finished at lvl90 :)

The +12 skills from items do not count in Skillers yet, so you can get even higher damge by adding 3 Fire and 3 Lightning Skillers. coming to +15 then.
    Also consider adding some items with -xx% fire or lightning resistance, like facets. Adding those resistance items would bring you the biggest addtional boost in damage, since more damage gets through monster resistances!

16. steve2677

Awesome post thnx alot for the idea. I calc some damage in chippydipps calc and came up with lvl 32 nova = 1469 damage for 46 mana per cast as to chain 1300 damage for 40 mana per cast (these are average damages). So i was wondering why nova is soo bad for 6 mana more? Rem the fact that it does have a higher min damage by like 1200.

I agree that the build would be supplemented by facets of all sorts (part. lightning).
    As for fast cast i was thinking on griffon for 25% eschutas for 40% vipermagi for 30% and a 10% ring with res and mf hopefully:D that would bring me to the 105% needed for good spam with nova.This way i can have that extra % for light/fire from griffon and eschitas while socketing them both with light facets.

17. melianor

Another viable build that will give you more damage and can come closer to the damage that CL/FO or Meteorb do. Again with +12 skills from items:

1 Warmth
    1 Inferno
    1 Blaze
    20 Firewall (7519.9-7591.4) OR 20 Meteor (6189.9-6465 [which is not so good damage as you could get with the other build, but then again your lightning damage will be higher!])
    14 Fire Mastery (more points added after completion).

1 SF
    1 Telekinesis
    1 Teleport
    1 Charged Bolt
    20 Lightning (13.9-8729.5)
    20 Chain Lightning (9.6-4427.8)
    20 Lightning Mastery

102 points, finished at lvl90
    lvl90 is not that hard to reach. Anything else above get tedious...

Edit: Thx steve. The previous built i posted could work just aswell with this skill placement. Just swap Firewall for Meteor ;)

18. melianor

The thing with Nova is that it costs alot of mana. But where will you get the points for casting cost of 40 at a speed of 105% FCR.
    You will still want to either retain Max-block or full Vita, while also having max-resits.

With Nova you would have to do some investment into Energy aswell.
    With CL/L FW or Meteorb you could leave it at base, or something like 75 and still get max-block and high life!

Another factor that gets in here is, that you will have to be able to tank when using Nova and Meteor together. You should be able to take some hits and that only works with max-block, very high life and maxed resists.

19. steve2677

Thanks melianor for the input i will betrying a build i think might be pretty good with decent mana cost. The build will look something like this:

1 into blaze, firebolt, fireball, firewall, inferno, warmth.
    20 into meteor
    14 fire mastery

1 into static, telekinesis, teleport
    20 into charged bolt
    20 into lightning
    20 light mastery

Overall i think the mana cost will be more effective with a low energy allowing me to get max block and a decent vitality. Rem that i will prob. not be spamming hcraged but lightning instead as i meteor. I will be aiming for +3 skill gcs for both elements and a total of +9 on gear. I will post later on my build.

P.S. the reason i dont want firewall is that the monsters will have to be standing in it for full effect even though i will have max block i want to be able to meteor baddies off screen as well.(who wants gloams in their face neways?) thnx again for the advice!!

20. melianor

Hmm, CB will be quite powerful that way and you still have a very powerful Lightning. Lightning is a bit different to handle from Chain Lightning, so you might see yourself spamming Charged Bolt aswell, which is not that costly, for its amount of damage!

BETWEEN! MISTAKE! BIG MISTAKE ON MY PART!!!
    Read onwards, i totally forgot that snyergies to meteorb give more damage than mastery :cheesy:

This is what your Firetree should look like for optimal damage!!!
    +12 skills from items

15 Fireball (2613.7-2900.4) (1 extra from not putting in CL)
    20 Meteor (7106.9-7422.8) Thats still quite a differnce to 20Meteor, 20 FM!!!
    1 Fire Mastery