A few tips about sockets

Cujo

Diabloii.Net Member
A few tips about sockets

This is not a question, but since I see alot of socket questions, I thought of writing a few tips down..

Larzuk :

Magic items : 1-2 sockets (50/50% chance)
Rare/set/unique : 1 socket
Normal/ethereal : If Ilvl >40 =max sockets for that given item (basically anything found from Act2 NM and forth)
-if Ilvl <40, look here : http://www.diabloii.net/items/sockets-list.shtml

3 socket elite armors
Larzuk will give 3 sockets to elite armor, if you do this ; find a broken (low quality/cracked etc) elite armor, repair it to normal with the recipe*, which will set Ilvl to 1, and therefore it will get 3 sockets at Larzuk..
* el+chip+low armor

Socket recipe :

The game generates a number between 1-6 (no matter what amount of socket is max), so if max is 6, there's 1/6 chance of getting each number. If max is 5 there's 2/6 chance of 5, and 1/6 of the rest. If max is 4 there's 3/6 of 4 and 1/6 chance of the rest..etc..

Cujo

Diabloii.Net Member
Yes, because beserker axes can only be found in Hell, and therefore it will have a Ilvl >40

Taft12

Diabloii.Net Member
This is just the kind of stuff stickies are made of. Bravo!

I might point out to the mods that The Pit guide (now in the Strategy Compendium) did cut down on the volume of Pit question posts....

Cujo

Diabloii.Net Member
hehe..thnx, but I doubt a sticky will be made of this, since its just a few tips (but always good to have as bookmark, so its easier to answer questions about it :D )

KaesarSosei

Diabloii.Net Member
I have another question.

Is there any way to add sockets to a blue(magical) item without changing its stats or using Larzuk?

eg I have a +3 Summon Necro Circlet. Is there a cube recipe to add sockets to that without changing the +3?

Cujo

Diabloii.Net Member
KaesarSosei said:
I have another question.

Is there any way to add sockets to a blue(magical) item without changing its stats or using Larzuk?

eg I have a +3 Summon Necro Circlet. Is there a cube recipe to add sockets to that without changing the +3?
Nope, Larzuk is your only hope

maccool

Diabloii.Net Member
Cool beans, I didn't know about the resetting to ilvl1 thingy for cracked armors. Thanks, I have a use for els now!

Taft12

Diabloii.Net Member
Cujo said:
3 socket elite armors
Larzuk will give 3 sockets to elite armor, if you do this ; find a broken (low quality/cracked etc) elite armor, repair it to normal with the recipe*, which will set Ilvl to 1, and therefore it will get 3 sockets at Larzuk..
* el+chip+low armor
This obviously means the "minimum" sockets that can be found in any elite armor is 3 - my question is: Is it documented anwhere what the minimum sockets are for all items? (particularly elite weapons)

Cujo

Diabloii.Net Member
Taft12 said:
This obviously means the "minimum" sockets that can be found in any elite armor is 3 - my question is: Is it documented anwhere what the minimum sockets are for all items? (particularly elite weapons)
3 is the "minimum" Larzuk can give it, (but they can spawn from monsters with less)..
-In the first post is a link to a list of all items socket "breakpoints", but with a few corrections :
circlets 1/2/2
coronet 2/2/3
diadems 1/2/3
tiara 1/2/3
-orbs have a max of 2