Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A few questions on my Wolf...

Discussion in 'Druid' started by mali, Oct 23, 2006.

1. mali

mali IncGamers Member

A few questions on my Wolf...

So, I recently built a L60 Wolf, for PvP (no, not taking him higher)... and I really like him. A lot. On primary weapon (Upped Ribbie), he has a total of 125%IAS & 125% CB.
    But... I want to utilise a shield on switch, to block pesky fast-melee toons.
    So my questions revolve around that.
    1. I am thinking Grief for the weapon. PB is outta the question, but given the nature of Grief I'm not overly worried. I was considering a Crowbill (I do not have the strength for a War Spike) Grief. Thoughts? Additionally, why is Grief so popular in a PB? Wouldn't a War Spike be faster?
    2. Shield. Again, thinking a Shael'd Whitstans. Thoughts on that?

Thanks in anticipation of help.

m:wave:

2. Osmium

Osmium IncGamers Member

pb is very fast,that's why it is favourite for grief,but an ethereal berserker axe(botd runeword) is more appealing to fury/rabbies druids..........

a whistans guard shaeled will be an interesting choice.......go for it

3. mali

mali IncGamers Member

Aaah... that it is. Foolish me - was looking at speed for Dimensional/Crystal Blades, and not even checking the Phase.

Whitstan's Shael'd should provide lotsa blocking goodness... we'll see I guess.
    (Getting my 5 Socket Crowbill is proving problematic :wink: )

4. Osmium

Osmium IncGamers Member

you should think getting a 6 socket pb and put 4 shaels and 2 jewels.........or something like that

5. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

125%IAS? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't off weapon IAS completely ignored for Wolves? Therefore the most IAS you could have is 70% with a Shael'd Ribby.

6. Verashiden

Verashiden IncGamers Member

Correct you are. In which case I bet a lot of gear slots open. Shaeled Whistan is awful to fight against. I've had my share of asking people "What kind of shield cus I can't hit you." with those. Also, for Fury/Rabies A Black/Red weap won't do much good since the damage would be pitiful. I think it only really works for FC and Maulers.

Grief Crowbill? Interesting selection. I say go for it :)

7. Osmium

Osmium IncGamers Member

off weapon?6 shales in a pb is oias?wtf?

8. Osmium

Osmium IncGamers Member

Whistan's Guard
    Round Shield
    'Shael'

Defense: 154 (Base Defense: 47-55)
    Required Level: 29
    Required Strength: 53
    Durability: 64
    Chance To Block: Pal: 97% Ama/Asn/Bar: 92% DRU/Nec/Sor: 87% <=
    Paladin Smite Damage: 7 to 14
    +175% Enhanced Defense
    Half Freeze Duration
    60% Faster Block Rate
    +55% Increased Chance Of Blocking
    +5 To Light Radius

it's absolutely insane.........better than stormshield.....i need it..........now.........
    EDIT: sorry for the double post

9. Bjam

Bjam IncGamers Member

By "off weapon" I mean any inherent IAS in gloves, ammy, helm, or body armor or IAS jewels in a helm, shield or body armor.

Weapon IAS is a factor of base weapon speed, any +IAS granted by the item (e.g. +30% on Azurewrath), and socketed Shael or Fervor jewels.

For Fury, an Upped Ribby has a base speed of 10, +50 IAS, +20IAS for Shael, resulting in +60 and a 9/5 swing rate (might be 8/5...bad memory). Adding Treachery, Mav's Helm, and a Highlord ammy would have no effect on the swing rate.

10. mali

mali IncGamers Member

Wow... kk... you are DEAD right: that DOES open up some slots. Cat's Eye, not so attractive now... I still like my Blood Gloves with 10% CB, but I could probably get another pair with more interesting stats. And the IAS/AR jewel in my helm?? Sadly, wasted (other than the AR).
    Whitstan's - imo the most underrated shield in the game...
    And for those folks suggesting I have a PB: 1. can't - my Dex isn't high enough... which is why I want a Whitstans (to compensate). My Strength needed to be high enough to wear Guillaume's Face. 2. It's all ok, got a 2pt STR SC, which meant I was strong enough to use a War Spike (which I got), and have made my Grief. Sure looks nice, yet to do any serious testing.

11. mali

mali IncGamers Member

I've been searching for other options... on slots previously with IAS (that - silly me: I do not need) - and whilst my gloves (20%ias/10%CB/6%LL/+7 Dex) don't need the IAS, other stats are nice. My ammy - Cat's Eye - don't need the IAS there, but the other benefits are nice too. Verily, I think I need MORE frw to catch pesky runners! Pretty much the only slot I think I may have wasted is the IAS/AR Jewel in my helm. And I have a 35%ED/+5 Max jewel I can put there...
    Or should I put something else in it?
    Perhaps a Shael, for the 20% FHR?

12. xpumafangx

xpumafangx IncGamers Member

I would really make shure your greif warspike meets the 5fps fury breakpoint before using it. If I was you I would really make shure my block rate is all ways at 75% you can reach a high amount of hit points while doing this. I know because thats what I do. See the trick with this is to use items with alot of pure life added. Not plus to life per lvl, plus to vit, or plus to vit per lvl. This is because plus to life in pure amounts, and adding points to vit will get effected by changing shape, oak sage, and battle orders. So basicly it is worth your time adding points to dex. And sooner or latter you will have enough points into dex to use a greif phase blade any ways.

1 lvl gives you 1 life, 1 point into vit gives you 2 life. Not alot at all. But a shape shifting druid can get above 10,000 life using the right items.

Storm sheild is more effective as a sheild then a winstins round because it has the 35% dr on it. Thats only 15% away from having 50% dr. Plus you can easyly use it to meet the 75% block rate at lvl 99, 222 dex. That amount is really easy to meet actly. Because I only invested 140 something dex to meet that at lvl 99. And I used a really low amount of str as well.

I am not saying winstins round is not a bad sheild. It is the second best blocking sheild in the game. Next to a 4 socted 4xshealed, and of deflecting sheild magic sheild. In other words at a lvl lower then needed to use a stormsheild I would use winstins instead, I nicked named it the smokers sheild.

Crushing blow, it maxes out at 95% Anything more then that is waistful.

Hope that helps.

13. mali

mali IncGamers Member

It does indeed help... however my druid will only ever be L60 - so that's a moot point. With Grief/Whitstan's, that is my weapon switch (more for the blocking than for damage, my Ribbie will out-damage it) - my main weapon of choice is my upped Ribbie.
    The CB 95% thing is something I was unaware of, and will alter my armor choice (perhaps).

14. Osmium

Osmium IncGamers Member

in the items that alow sockets you should put the runes/gems/jewels that fills up your disadvantages........figure out what you need and put the thing accordingly

15. mali

mali IncGamers Member

Ok... done a bit of testing & I still struggle with blocking Smiters & WW Barbs. The Grief War Spike works nicely, but it's not as good generally as my upped Shael'd Ribbie (naturally). It is handy on my switch tho'.

16. Osmium

Osmium IncGamers Member

how is that whistans?

17. Kosmos

Kosmos IncGamers Member

you only reach 6 fps attack with grief warspike. why dont you use phaseblade??

Whistans is nice for block. but for pvp you need dr. ber/ber Coa beign the best choice.

18. olwe

olwe IncGamers Member

True but the op has a level 60 max pvp wolf. I believe coa is level 82 req?

19. Eilo Rytyj

Eilo Rytyj IncGamers Member

Yep, and Stormshield is level 73, so no dice. Bers are level 63, so even less dice. You're pretty much limited to things like Rockstopper, Shaftstop and String of Ears for DR%. Those 3 can easily get you 50% DR btw, or Shaft+String for 45% DR, while still keeping Jalal's in the equation.

And xpuma, Elds increase blocking chance, not Shaels. Shaels will increase blocking speed. A 4 Shael'd JMOD will have 62% block and 110% FBR a 4 Eld'd JMOD will have 90% and 30% FBR block on a Druid.

20. Osmium

Osmium IncGamers Member

pb has a lvl requirement of 54 and dex of 136.............but why don't you lvl up your druid man?if you go 80+ it is easyer to ger good gear.........and you can lvl up fairly quickly