Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A few questions on Life Tap and leach in general

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by ProfessionalBerg, May 31, 2008.

1. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

A few questions on Life Tap and leach in general

Allright, let's assume a physical attack that can leech from normal leech (i.e. not Smite). The targeted monster(s) is(are) affected by Life Tap. The character has some amount of Life Leech, and the monster's Drain Effectiveness is also known. Questions:

1. I know that Life Tap ignores the Drain Effectiveness of a monster, thus always setting it to 100%. Now, does difficulty penalty apply to LT or not?

Life Tap skill description is very brief and can be confusing. It says that whoever attacks the cursed being with melee attacks gets healed for 50% of their damage. It isn't exactly like leech, since with leech the attacker "steals" life/mana (that is later affected by Drain Eff. and Diff. Penalty).

2. How does LT leech work in conjuction with normal leech? I assume they are simply added together. If so, how does the rounding work? Is it like this?

FinalLeech = int(LifeTap/[eventual Diff. Penalty, if any]) + int(Leech*(Drain/100)/Diff.Penalty)

int = rounding down to nearest integer, of course.

Thanks in advance. Cheers :azn:

2. helvete

helvete IncGamers Member

Re: A few questions on Life Tap and leach in general

There is no level capping on lifetap. It always heals 50% of the physical damage you do. (IE a monster has 50% damage resist, and you hit for 1000 damage, you then heal 50% of the 50% damage the monster takes; 250 life healed.

Life/Manaleech is different, capped to 1/2 and 1/3 in NM and hell. They also depend on monster leech effectiveness (which is 0% for all skeletons and some act bosses IIRC) so much less effective. A monster being cursed with lifetap has no change in its leech efficiency. Easily tested by lifetapping a skeleton, then attack it with manaleech equipped.

3. ProfessionalBerg

ProfessionalBerg IncGamers Member

First, the penalties are 2/3 and 1/3 for NM and Hell, respectively. :azn: (tsk tsk tsk)

What I wondered with leech + LT is if they add up. I mean, if I have 12% leech in Hell, and hit a Life-Tapped monster with 100% drain efficiency, will it leech 50 + (12*1/3) = 54% life, or only 50%, which is LT?

But thanks for help, anyway.

4. Dodgydave

Dodgydave IncGamers Member

I *think* it's the second case (ie 54%).

But who cares?

If life tap aint going to meet your needs then a bit extra from leech isn't going to make or break you!

5. krischan

krischan Europe Trade Moderator

No, it's as helvete said :tongue:

6. RTB

RTB IncGamers Member

Nope.

Should be the former.