Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A few questions on Asia realm

Discussion in 'Diablo 2 Community Forum' started by WebDragon, Sep 2, 2006.

1. WebDragon

WebDragon IncGamers Member

A few questions on Asia realm

Hi gents. I'm sure everyone remembers when East went down for a few days. Well when that happened, I was one of those that made a character on Asia and played there instead. I've since continued playing the Asia character from time to time and, since I'm starting from scratch, became more engrossed in my Asia character than the ones I have on East. I've made it my pet project and I've had loads of fun starting fresh.

However, unlike the time I started over on Hardcore, this time I ran into a problem. For one thing, I've noticed that very few people on Asia speak English, so I've had somewhat of a communication barrier. That was to be expected, so I didn't fret too much. Also, I've noticed that aside from no one speaking English, no one speaks at all. Nothing. An 8 player game could go for an hour without a single peice of chat!

Now as much as I like the peace and quiet, I'm having a really hard time trying to trade. I first decided to use the same game names I'd use on East i.e. occy 4 lem for example, but no matter what I type in I get no hits.

Its not that no one joins the game, its that they join and have no idea what I'm talking about. They just merrily go about their mfing or just mill about in act 1. I've had people join a "bring ko" game and stay idle in act 1 for 15 mins while I stood there befuddled.

So, I'm here to ask for pointers from experts of that realm. I'd like to know, in some detail, the following:

1. Is it normal that no one talks? Or does my version not support the language and thus I don't see any chat?

2. How do I go about understanding game names? Other than Dia and Baal games, I'm not really sure if the others and just random spam or actually mean anything.

3. What should I call my games to indicate a specific item for trade or item needed?

4. Are there any quick acronyms used there than can help me along with my trading? (along the lines of wug and wuw... )

So basically I just need some guidance on how to conduct myself on Asia, specifically when I need to trade.

Anyone?

2. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

As far as #1 I seem to remember lots of Koreans playing on the US servers in the early days of D2. When they talked it was all funky letters (random letters with accents, symbols and such) so I assume it should still be the case. Have you seen any of that?

3. WebDragon

Nope. I expected something like that but saw none. Just pure quiet. Its eerie...

4. superdave

superdave IncGamers Member

that's why i like asia so much...it's worth putting up with the extra ping...even playing HC.

5. emar

emar IncGamers Member

When I played on Asia I noticed that as well. I originally thought it was just the games I was joining but, eh apparently not. Not even a single

PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!111111!

or

TPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPTPPTPTTTTTTTTTTPPPPPPPPp!11

Come to think of it, why am I still playing on the US realms ...

I can't help you on the language barrier unfortunately :(

6. Immortal_King

Immortal_King IncGamers Member

I know for Warcraft 3 Bnet if you dont have the proper language thingy installed when I type in Chinese you will not see anything only a blank. Perhaps this is same for Diablo2.

7. SpaceFalcon

SpaceFalcon IncGamers Member

Dude.. why even struggle with asia realm if you don't know the langauge? just go on USWEST or USEAST 99% of people speak english, and on europe larger amount speak another language then on US realms.

8. Lanceor

Lanceor IncGamers Member

Yeah, I haven't had any luck trading on Asia either.

Game names with "buy" or "sell" seem to get the best response for something specific. It might be obvious, but use a Paladin if you want to buy/sell Pally gear etc.

Names like pgems and occy are unheard of, though a description like "Soso wand" seems to work though.

9. WebDragon

Yeah. I've slowly caught on to the buy/sell stuff. The real problem is actually describing the item you need. Most of the time they have no idea what I'm talking about.

Also games like XXX for XXX never get any useful joins. On the rare occasion that I run into someone that speaks the language I latch onto to them like glue. I keep asking them questions about trade values and the like.

So far it seems that poison damage scs are considered currency in Asia. I managed to trade a 100 poison damage sc for Ist Mal. I thought I was ripping the guy off, but since I knew nothing about trade values there, I went with it. I then got, from the same guy, Mal for Um'd shako and Ist for Arachnid.

Oh and... the abbreviation for 100 pdsc is: sok

So, a normal trade would be 6sok for engima for example, and indeed it seems like people are willing to trade engimas for 6 pdscs. I'm not sure if they value higher poison damage scs as double or triple.

I was also told that a draculs would cost me 2sok, if that is of any help.

Anyone else have some input on this?

10. Merick

Merick IncGamers Member

100 poison damage/6 seconds charm = +5.5 damage each attack if you attack 3 times a second (8 frames, which is the limit for the "normal speed skills"), less if you attack more quickly. I never understood why people bothered with them.

I'm not a socialogist, but all these differences in play style make me extremely curious. I can't imagine why such a large group of people would inconvience themselves by never talking. Surely people need someone to open a tp sometimes, or need to tell somewhere that they found the stairs.

11. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

LMAO this is funny...

First of all, everyone knows what Occy means and the abbreviation for 100pdsc is pdsc. I have played on Asia for almost four years and the only thing that I have ever seen sok mean is socket (even then it's usually a typo for soc).

I think I understand what your problem is though. You are used to realms with a ****ed up dupe economy that works by making trade games. On Asia (btw I am referring to Asia, not Asia2 or Asia3... they are eerily silent, so maybe you're on one of those realms?) trades are made in channel, primarily usa-1 and chn-1 but sometimes twn-1 and kor-1... but kor-1 is where the beggers hang out and spam rush plz for hours.

Your best bet is to go to USA-1 and chat for a little while. We have a severe problem with racists coming into that channel, identifying themselves as Americans and saying such charming things as "USA is going to nuke your hooches you rice eating fags" so it is best not to identify yourself as an American unless asked. If you identify as an American you will be treated the same way we treat most other rednecks. Prove yourself by your actions forst and then if someone asks tell them where you're from. You can thank the redneck kiddies that are too illiterate to read the name of the default channel that 90% of the people in USA-1 are actually American, Canadian, Australian, Kiwi and Singaporean for that. For what it's worth, I am Australian and I get extremely offended by these almost daily attacks. [/rant]

Hang out in USA-1 and just chat. You will see people copy-paste the trade lists from their profiles and if you see something you want just ask for it and you can work out a trade in channel. As a rule of thumb (this is more applicable to NL than Ladder) 40pg = 1*Um-Ist, 1*Um-Ist = 1*100pdsc but prices for items vary, especially since the recent purges.

Ladder trade is rune based and it gets kind of complicated, but you can usually buy Um runes for 40 Rals each (but you can't sell 1 Ral for 1pg). PDSC's are not as sought after on ladder and the base currency is Ist/Gul (as in if someone asks for 20 Ist you just give them 10 Gul). Sometimes you can get lucky and score a Tal plate for 15pg... but a perfect one might cost Gul+. To give you an idea of what Enigma will cost (btw Enigma = TP+ in the Chn shorthand), last time I was looking, a legit Ber was ~15 Ist and a dupe could be had for 8 Ist (dupes are nowhere near as common on Asia but they are still there and frequently identified as such).

When you make your own trade list to spam in chat do not use any of those silly acronyms like WUG and WUW because it is simply not used. It's very simple and easily understood:

<Matriarch Sera_Braveblade> SELL|IK Armour|Arach|34Viper|15/xxDracul|212edShaft|UppedGore|SS| BUY|30 Mara|Occy|TalAmmy|Eth4SocDusk|3Soc15/0MP| /w *Djehuti

Runes are frequently identified by number, so learn them -> Ist = #24, Gul = #25 etc

As for people not speaking, it's usually because they are pretty serious about what they do. I run with a loose group of people that always have the first few 99s on the realm and sometimes we talk non-stop and others we can go for hours without saying a word. You just have to get to know people. I rarely find language a barrier when trading because even those that do not know English know what things like TP or WP means. In trades if someone isn't talking show the item you are trying to sell in the trade window and if it isn't a poverty stricken newbie they will usually put their offer in the window.

There's more I could add, but I think I've said enough for one post...

Superdave, I never knew you played Asia?? What's your *name?

12. Daematt

Daematt IncGamers Member

i play on Asia 2 and it all depends on whether you have the right language program installed. They chatter away all day, which at times is a bit annoying if you can't understand it all.

Trading is pot luck. I've got a SOJ for a Trang's and a ZOD for Imo king. Just a matter of plonking the items in the trade window and seeing what they put it. Not the best way but simple enough.

I have 2-3 accounts full of items I no longer want. If you are interested in it (free of course) let me know. I have more or less most things a good player could what.

If interested let me know.

13. icesickle

icesickle IncGamers Member

Good to know that there are players on Asia realms but I thought there is only one Asian realm? would be great to get on a game together, be it runs or trades.

14. Sokar Rostau

Sokar Rostau IncGamers Member

Blizzard provides four gateways - USWest, USEast, Europe and Asia. Three of those four gateways are to a single realm. The Asia Gateway has three realms - Asia, Asia2 and Asia3.

Four Gateways.
    Six Realms.

15. SirDooFuss

SirDooFuss IncGamers Member

SuperDave, YogiRat and I did a bit of asia earlier this season (I mat'd a Immozon). I found the quiet refreshing. I think the time difference impacted my trading the most. There was just hardly anybody on when I was playing. I play mostly solo, but found no language barrier to trading. Use complete words when chatting and it shouldn't be a problem. PM me if there's anything in particular you need. I still keep SuperDave's and my accounts active.

16. researcher

researcher IncGamers Member

hmm... i never knew that this forum have player in asia realm also...
    hi all...
    i think this is my first post...
    i not remember posting anything in this forum...
    i'm just a good silent reader... :)
    this forum really help me building my diablo's char...
    lately, i'm interested in werewolf build...
    kind of fun playing with it...

as rostau said, i think there is no problem in trading at asia realm...
    we also speak english, maybe not a very good english...
    but as long as we can understand each other, its fine i think...
    yeah, trade currency is mostly now based on pdsc...
    i don't know why they are looking for that...
    but its kind hard for me to find one pdsc... never found one exactly... huhuh... if i have, surely i can have a chance to own an enigma... lol...

rostau, daematt...
    if u are in asia realm...
    dun forget to whisper me...
    my account name *mfaizm
    cya!!! :thumbsup:

17. icesickle

icesickle IncGamers Member

er..... noob question. How does one locate a familiar name on the realms? Following which, how does one 'whisper' to another account holder?

18. Evrae Altana

Evrae Altana IncGamers Member

To whisper an account, type /w *accountname

19. ffejrxx

ffejrxx IncGamers Member

20. borok

borok IncGamers Member

i play on asia. if you need help here is my accout. *borok1 :)