Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A few questions of how damage is calculated

Discussion in 'Theorycrafting and Statistics' started by xyzthorakzyx, Jun 29, 2005.

1. xyzthorakzyx

xyzthorakzyx IncGamers Member

A few questions of how damage is calculated

Now the formula looks like this (just looking at max damage since min damage works the same way):

Maximum Damage = (Weapon Maximum Damage + (+x To Maximum Damage)) * (1 + StatBonus + (+x % Enhanced Damage) / 100)) * Modifier

This formula is clear enoguh to me but there are a few confusing things:
    ------------------------------------
    1. "Critical Hit/Deadly Strike = 2"
    Does this mean I will have a modifier of 2*2 = 4 times the damage if I score both a critical hit AND a deadly strike or does it work in another way?
    2. "+x % Enhanced Damage jewels in weapons enhances the weapon damage directly, but if you place the jewels in armor/shield/helm, the bonus will be added along with stats-bonus and skills."
    Does this mean that if I socket a +ed jewel in a weapon the damage increase will be A LOT larger than if I socket a +ed jewel in something else?

i.e In weapon: Maximum Damage = ((Weapon Maximum Damage+ed jewel) + (+x To Maximum Damage)) * other modifiers

In something else than weapon: Maximum Damage = ((Weapon Maximum Damage) + (+x To Maximum Damage)) * (other modifiers +ed jewel)

Is this correct?
    3. War travs and +max dam charms.
    I am unsure of where these bonuses will go. Will they add directly to the max dam of the weapon or will they be added afterwards. As I have understood it in the formmulas it should look like this:

(+10 max dam from charms + war travs with +20 dam)
    i.e : Maximum Damage = ((Weapon Maximum Damage +20 +10) * other modifiers

Is this correct? If it is it looks like war travs will add a lot of damage in some scenarios...

I hope all this is understandable, if there are certain parts that are unclear tell me so and I will try to explain what I meant.

2. thegiantturtle

thegiantturtle IncGamers Member

The above equation isn't fully expanded. Fully, it's:

Max Damage = ((Weapon Base Type Max Damage * (1+ethereal bonus) * (1 + On-Weapon ED%) + (+x to Max Damage)) * (1+StatBonus + skill based ED% + off weapon ED%)) * modifier

where "Weapon Base Type Max Damage" is the listed damage for a nonsuperior item of the same base type and "ethereal bonus" is 50% if the item is ethereal (0 otherwise)

1) you can not have both a critical hit and deadly strike at the same time. If the test for the first one passes, the test for the other is skipped.

2) If you have a 200%ed weapon and socket a 30% ed jewel into the weapon, you now have a 230% ed weapon. If you socketed the same jewel into any other gear, you'd raise your off weapon ed%

The increase from +%ed jewels may be larger in a weapon or larger in other gear depending on other variables. For characters with lots of off weapon ed (barbs, paladins), they're normally better in weapons. For characters without alot of offweapon ed (bow zons), they're normally better socketed into gear.

3) + max damage jewels/charms/gear is always added to the "+X to Maximum Damage" factor.

If you have a Paladin with 200 str using a phase blade (100% str bonus), 373% ED from lvl 20 Fanatacism aura, 336% ed from fully synergized lvl 20 zeal, and a 30% ED jewel in his armor, then +20 max damage from charms/gear would turn into
    20 * (1 + 2 + 3.73 + 3.36 + 0.3) = 207 added to your max damage.

Also, that would be doubled if a deadly strike was landed.

[Edit: adding a full example:

Say you have an imaginary sword who's base damage is 20-50.
    It has 200% on weapon ED.
    It has +25 max damage on the weapon.
    You have 100str.
    You have 150% ED from skills and auras.
    You have +5 max damage from a charm.
    Assuming no chance for critical hit/deadly strike

Max Damage = [50*(1+200%) + (25+5)]*[1+100% + 150%] *1
    Max Damage = [150 + 30] * 3.5
    Max Damage = 630

Now, let's add a 30% ED jewel to the weapon. The new Weapon ED% is 230%:
    Max Damage = [50*(1+230%) + (25+5)]*[1+100% + 150%] *1
    Max Damage = [165 + 30] * 3.5
    Max Damage = 682

Instead of putting the 30% ED jewel in the weapon, let's put it in armor:
    Max Damage = [50*(1+200%) + (25+5)]*[1+100% + 150% +30%] *1
    Max Damage = [150 + 30] * 3.8
    Max Damage = 684

The more on-weapon ED % or +Max Damage you have, the less you'll notice added on-weapon ED% and added Max Damage. The more off-weapon ED% (from non weapon gear, skills, auras), the less you'll notice added off-weapon ED%]

3. Myrakh-2

Myrakh-2 IncGamers Member

No. At most one is used --- the game checks for critical hit, if success then you do double damage, if no success it checks for deadly strike.
    Or the other way 'round, but it doesn't matter since the result is the same.

Yes, although the "A LOT" depends on other modifiers that you might have. But usually you get %ed from skills and other gear, so... yes.

It's the difference between adding and multiplying :) Off-weapon ed just adds to the skill/stats bonus, whereas on-weapon ed gets multiplied by the skills/stats bonu

100 weapon damage, 10% ed, 200% skills/stats:

On weapon: 110 damage +200% = 330 damage
    Off weapon: 100 damage +210% = 310 damage

Something like that. Never bothered to study the formulas in detail :)

4. xyzthorakzyx

Ah, thanks a lot, that explained a lot of the things I wondered about. There's only one question you didn't answer. Add in a pair of war travs with +20 damage. Will this make the equation look like this:

Max Damage = [50*(1+200%) + (25+5+20)]*[1+100% + 150%] *1
    Max Damage = [150 + 30 + 20] * 3.5
    Max Damage = 700

And does +20 mean +20 min damage AND +20 max damage?

PS. I realise now that fortitude is a very good armor for a bowazon, hmm

5. Thrugg

Thrugg IncGamers Member

The guys have answered your first two questions thoroughly (I would add that the best place to socket your %ed jewel is whichever place that it adds the bigger percentage increase to the factor it will add to).

Just on the way War Trav and charm damage is added in; it is actually a two step process, weapon +max is added and then off-weapon (other gear or charms) +max is added. Since addition is commutative it doesn't matter to the final total if you split them or not. However, the game will sometimes use the total in between (ie after weapon damage, before WT or charm damage), particularly on skills that use "weapon damage", such as Vengeance. +max on your weapon affects your Vengeance damage, but WTs and charms do not.

+damage does mean both _min and +max, although War Travs have a fixed +15 min, +25 max so I don't know where you found a +20 damage pair :)

6. xyzthorakzyx

Haha, I hacked them. :lol: I just looked at the stats and thought it was a variable. I guess that was what was confusing. :)

Well, I got an answer for all questions then. I guess I will be looking for a pair of war travs. :)