A few questions about mercs

Sys

Diabloii.Net Member
A few questions about mercs

Hey, I've got a few things I'd like some clarification on :)
I bought a non-eth (cheap) infinity yesterday, it was made on a colossus voulge. I didn't really think about anything else than decent stats and the cheap price when I bought it.
I had the funds on my barb to buy it, so it was just lying in his inventory, when I thought I could try it on his merc.. Well, the merc couldn't equip it. I didn't really think of the 210 strenght requirement as a problem until then.
My barb has got a level ** act2 nm merc with might, wearing Stone (+16 str), Gaze and Reaper's toll, and he has got 207 strenght as it is.
So, now to the point, how do mercs get attributes/level ups? Is it different for mercs hired on different levels, do you get more stats on a merc which is hired from normal compared to hell for example? I might as well socket the mercs gaze with a perfect amethyst for +10 strenght so my sorc gets conviction a few levels earlier, but I'd really like to know how do the attributes increase!
Another question, not sure if I should try the sorc forums, but now while I'm here; What kind of a merc would you recommend for a 200% FCR light sorc? Holy freeze or defiance? Some other?

Hope you understood something about my rather messy post, I just woke up! :)
Thanks in advance for your help!

Poppis

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: A few questions about mercs

Mercs hired from earlier difficulty levels will have a little better stats than if it was hired in hell for example(but you cant hire might merc from normal).

You might wanna try Andariel's Visage instead of Gaze, even with low stats Andy, he can use Infinity.

EDIT. Oh and mercs get better stats every time they level up.

Sys

Diabloii.Net Member

I thought about using andy's visage, but the level requirement on it is 83, which means I'd only use it for 5, tops 6 levels if I wouldn't socket gaze with +str, which kind of makes it pointless in my opinion. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

edit: yes, I know they get stats when they level up, I'd have to be more specific; how much strenght per level for instance, anyone know?

Sys

Diabloii.Net Member

Thank you very much for pointing that out, really helped!
I guess I'll go with the holy freeze merc, and according to the Merc guide, it will have 184 strenght at level 84, plus 16 from stone and 10 from gemmed gaze which will make the total strenght 210, which is enough to equip the non-eth CV!