Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A few questions about Lightning sorcs...

Discussion in 'Sorceress' started by Lyndis, Oct 2, 2006.

1. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

A few questions about Lightning sorcs...

...and some other stuff too.

Ok, first of all, people say there's 110 total skill points, and maybe I'm just being blind...but I don't see where that's coming from. 98 level-ups + (Den + Radament + Izual) x3 = 107? Am I missing a skill quest or something?

Secondly, assume I'm only going to get up to about level 86 ish, and I'm going to spend 20 points on TK, ES, Lightning. 1 in warmth, Teleport and Static. 1 or more in Charged Bolt, Chain Lightning, and Lightning mastery. Given that, what should the rest of my points go towards? What would give me higher damage at this point? Pump CB? Pump Lightning mastery? Pump Chain lightning?

Can someone help me figure out the optimal skill distribution? This is strictly for PVM (maybe can do cows well...dunno) Assume I'll have around a total of +10 to all skills and on top of that +14 to Lightning skills.

2. Kijya

Kijya IncGamers Member

Izual gives 2 skillpoints per difficulty.

As for damage the synergy math is explained here.

3. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

Thanks.

Oh, and your avatar is a bit scary :shocked:

4. rata

rata IncGamers Member

20 points into CL, Lighting, Charged Bolt. one point into nova, tk, static and ES. Rest in lightning mastery. forget warmth and get merc an insight...then carry the infinity (you'll need to sub frosty's for magefist for the fcr), get coh, torch, anni,skill gc's, gheeds, shako..ur all set!

5. MageChick

MageChick IncGamers Member

Always put 1 point into warmth, always. Its about like skipping teleport - sure its possible, but it really neuters you. With the amount of +skills that light sorcs carry, you'll get good mana regen from it. Every sorc should always have warmth, static and teleport - they're standard for a reason.

With a good mana regen you don't have to worry about insight on your merc and you can give him a nasty damage poky stick (Doom, Obediance, BotD, etc). It works with insight, but you will need to have your merc kill a few of the immunes that infinity doesn't break.

Also if you carry infinity youself then you'll need lots of FCR gear. Drop the CoH for Viper magi, and drop shako for griffons. You'll still need magefists and arach to get past the 78% breakpoint (90 total). Your resists suffer, but your damage will increase a lot.

You can also try to level high enough to get 20 into all the synergies and mastery (lvl 95). The only time you'd stop at 1 point in nova would be if you don't make it past 76. Even a moderate investment will get you to lvl 85-90. Just save nova for your last area to invest in.

6. MageChick

sorry, tried to edit, but typed too slow. I messed up the FCR numbers

Viper Magi + Griffon + Arach + Magefists = 95% FCR not 90 like I have above. But my point about using more FHR gear is still valid. In fact if you want to hit the 105% FCR limit then add a FCR ring. This will help your tele speed, but doesn't do anything for your lightning attacks (different breakpoints). It will limit your mana from loss of an SOJ too.

7. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

your skill/gear suggestions don't work because this is an ES sorc, not a normal lightning sorc. So basically I *will* be getting level 40 ES.

I've already got my gear planned out. It's just the skills I need a bit of advice with. (I also need to trade for a few of those things first hehe)

Hoto
    Gerke's Sanctuary
    Gladiator's Bane
    +3 Light/20-25 DR ammy
    +3 Light/6 MDR Circlet
    Sandstorm Trek
    Arachnid Mesh
    Magefists
    2x SOJ

On switch: CTA + Spirit Monarch or Lidless

Charms: Sorc torch, Anni, 4 Lightning skillers, +mana, +FHR, +life, +poison res if I'm not already maxed out in poison res.

Hoto+ Mage + Arachnid gives 80 FCR, which is over 78, and I'll have a total of +24 to Lightning skills. Merc will carry eth Cryptic axe infinity. I may carry around a wand of lower resist just in case as well.

8. MageChick

Sorry, I replied to the above poster, didn't look at your original question, my bad.

based on +24 skill points, max CL, L and LM = 60points. You'll spend 20 in TK, and 10-16 in ES (depending on if you prebuff with +9 staff). There's 7 other skills/prereq's that I didn't mention. That's a total of 97-103 skill points. Complete at lvl 86-92. If you level more then pump charged bolt.

I have to say I'm only counting +20 skills though. Why Gerke's and Gladiators? If you want blocking with resists, there's better choices. Are you that afraid of poison? I'd just cary some antidotes in my belt.

9. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

ES Sorceresses should not need to block?
    Just pump vita. ES is your shield. Or am i totally wrong here?

10. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

You're right. I only have +20. Wierd...must've been too sleepy yestrday when I counted +skills.

But yes, I am afraid of poison because Poison ignores Eshield, so it's basically to only thing that threatens me except Mana burn and Charge (which is bugged I think and bypasses Eshield or something).

Basically I'm going to put enough str and dex to wear gear, and then EVERYTHING else will go into Energy. I am going to take a Sorceress into Hell with Base vitality and survive.

If I pump ES all the way up to level 20 then I won't need a Memory staff on switch, although thise skill points is just too good to pass up. It'll be annoying going back to my stash every time I need to use ES again. Why is it that I can't re-apply it before it runs out? (or am I wrong about that?).

Ill probably get ES up to level 14 and then let +skills and Memory staff do the rest.

Oh, why CL instead of CB? It is better at killing Cows? I seem to hear something about Charged Boltresses owning 1.09 Cows or something.

11. Kijya

Kijya IncGamers Member

No problem, and thanks I guess, hehe :laugh:

12. melianor

melianor D3 Wizard Moderator

CB would be great too i guess. But you would have to pump CB and Lightning then, making CL quite a bit weaker. Might work too. CB is just awesome for large tight groups of monsters. The carpet of death :)

Hmm, poison is easily bypassed with high enough resists and if in serious danger a simple antidote from your inventory.

Why should you not be able to rebuff before it runs out? Works just fine. ES will last quite a while though, so not much to worry. Lvl40 ES will last 2484 seconds, that's 41 minutes!

13. Lyndis

Lyndis IncGamers Member

Yes, and whatis the cow level full of? tightly packed monsters! ^^

14. MageChick

CL is much better at killing cows than CB though. It has much higher damage and better range.

About the only time I see someone useing CB is during baal runs. They can sit on baal's steps and drop the CB right where the minions spawn.