Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A few newbie MF questions

Discussion in 'Newcomer Forum' started by cursedfrankie, May 23, 2008.

1. cursedfrankie

cursedfrankie IncGamers Member

A few newbie MF questions

Hello everyone(first post),

I have been out of the Diablo 2 game for about 2 years or so, and i'm planning on getting back into it when i get back to the states next month. I've been reading quite a few guides on these forums in the meantime, and I have some questions as I think some of them may be out of date.

As far as the Andariel quest/1st drop bug goes, is this still working? I also read of a similar (bug?) wherein you join multiplayer games for Hell in which it says "quest cannot be completed" (with regards to the Act 3 Mephisto quest) and proceed to kill Mephisto, thus forcing him to drop his 1st kill drops. I read that you can do this many times if you never move on to act 4 or 5.

I've been planning on making either a Pure Blizz-Sorc (if the mephisto thing actually works) or a Summoner. Are these still viable builds in the current patch?

Thanks again for all your help, once I get back into the game I hope to start contributing something to these forums. Until then!

cursed

2. Aien

Aien IncGamers Member

Re: A few newbie MF questions

Greetings and welcome.

The short answer to your questions is: yes. :wink3:

The Andariel first kill drop bug is still in existence. As long as you talk to Warriv in the same game that you kill Andariel for the first time, she's bugged.

That Mephisto bug/feature that you're describing exists. I've probably read the guide to which you're referring, and it explains it better than I could.

A summoner is absolutely a viable build all the way through the game and makes a good magic finder. A pure blizz-sorc will have a hard time soloing in Hell due to cold immunes, but as just a Meph runner is still 100% viable and can run Meph as fast as anything else (I love mine).

Have fun.

3. cursedfrankie

Thanks a bunch for the quick response!
    Much appreciated.

4. cccp is cooler than you

cccp is cooler than you Banned

i have a question what is the andriel bug. and what is the mephisto bug?

5. cursedfrankie

Well, i'm not sure if the Mephisto one is actually a bug or not, but Andariel definitely is.

When you kill Andariel(or other Act Bosses) for the first time, she drops a larger than normal amount/quality of items. After killing her for the first time, pick up her drops, and proceed to take a TP to town. Without talking to anyone/selling/identifying any items, if you talk to Warriv and travel to Act 2 in the same game, Andariel will be bugged from then on. What that means is that every time you kill Andariel from then on, you will receive her special "first time kill" drops.

The mephisto( this works with all bosses but Mephisto is the most common to do it with) bug(?) occurs when:
    1) You have yet to kill Mephisto,and the quest is not yet completed in your quest log. Therefore you are not yet able to travel to Act 4/5 in that difficulty.
    2) You join a game in which the creator of that game has already defeated Mephisto, and because of that if you open your quest log you will see a message like, "This quest cannot be completed".
    3) You kill Mephisto.
    What happens is that Mephisto drops his special "first time drops" (just like Andariel, he drops more than usual on his first kill). You can repeat this as many times as you like by joining other peoples games where Mephisto has already been killed by the creator ( for example, Baal Runs). He will drop his "first time drops" every time.
    Now this is a little different from the Andariel bug, because by doing this you will be unable to progress to Act 4 and 5. But the reason many people do it is because Mephisto is one of the easier bosses to kill and he has good drops (especially easy/fast for blizzard sorcs).
    If you were to create your own game and then kill Mephisto, you would be able to move on to Act 4/5, but that defeats the purpose of a Mephisto MF character.

This technique works with all act bosses, so theoretically you could run Diablo or even Baal in this manner. However, it is necessary that the person that has not yet completed the quest get the final hit on the boss in order to get those drops. So the best way to do this is to, for example, join a hell/NM difficulty baal/chaos sanc/ cow run game, then head off on your own to take out Mephisto. Rinse and repeat.

I hope my explanation was clear enough, if not, feel free to ask clarification questions.

6. cccp is cooler than you

cccp is cooler than you Banned

very much so ty only one question do u need to pick up alll her items?

7. cursedfrankie

When I said pick up her drops, thats not really a necessary step. I just meant, if you want her drops, go ahead and pick them up.

8. Aien

Aien IncGamers Member

Just to clarify the Andariel bug for anyone reading, you can do anything you want after killing her. As long as you talk to Warriv in the same game as you kill her for the first time, she'll be bugged.