Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A Few Meleementalist Ideas

Discussion in 'Druid' started by Heartless_Lich, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Heartless_Lich

Heartless_Lich IncGamers Member

A Few Meleementalist Ideas

I was wondering about meleementalists, a build that no one ever makes, and I'm sure most of you know in 1.09 all the elementalist builders said "Leave Hurricane and Armageddon to the meleementalists." I was confused by that phrase. Just LEAVE it to a class that one makes or even bothers to try out? So I was thinking, now that there's synergies and all and it's 1.10, I've just got a few ideas on making one...

Stats and Gear
    Strength: Enough for gear and possibly more than you may need just incase you want more damage. Don't put any extra points if you're planning on using a thunder maul such as earth shifter though o_O.

Dexterity: AR will be a tough problem if you max OS or SoB, so if you're not maxing HoW and you're not using something like aldur's or +% AR, you might need a lot dex. One handed? Enough for max block of course. If it's 2 handed and you've got enough gear to support AR and skills, just leave it at base or just a few points.

Vitality: Pump pump pump! (If it's SoB or HoW). If it's an Oak Sage you're gonna use, pump, don't pump pump pump :p (see the difference?)

Energy: ...Base, but unless you're not going to max a summon and your going pure melee with high damage elemental skills, then put a few points.

Gear
    Weapon (1): Preferably an Aldur's as long as you have either one other part (the boots or armor are much better to have than the helm) for the 150% AR. If you have the full set then great! That's 350% ED right on the spot.

Weapon (2): Earthshaker for the +3 elemental skills along with some nice Melee bonuses. Also, with Blind and KB it helps you kill an enemy without too much trouble of being whacked back by them ;).

Weapon (3): Any Exceptional Mace and a Hexfire will do, believe it or not! The only exception is the Barb Stump... You might want to consider using Fleshrender or a Dark Clan Cudgel (this has extra AR so it helps heaps)

Weapon (4): Earthshifter, Nord's Tenderizer, Baranar's, or a Schaffer's are all excellent choices, especially the baranar's for the huge AR bonus. In fact, a Baranar's might just be better than an Aldur's. Actually...on second thought...it sort of is o_O.

Weapon Switch: You might want to put preferably a Call To Arms or Heart of the Oak with a Lidless Wall. You can cast some of your spells such as Hurricane, Cyclone Armor, or Armageddon with those and switch back to your melee weapon.

Helm (1): Cerebus' Bite (!) These aren't cheaper than a Jalal's, but this is seriously the helm you must use! Try to find it almost perfect too, with the extra 120% AR. Don't forget that it also has life leech, open wounds, a very low lvl requirement.

Helm (2): A Spirit Keeper is a great choice too, as it's an extremely safe helmet for your druid (max resists, absorbs, resists, FHR...highest defense out of all unique druid helms).

Armor (1): The armor that you'll really be needing is a Leviathan. Now, I know that most people feel uncomfortable with it's color (especially if you're going to use a Cerebus' Bite which is white o_o)
    It's got a huge amount of strength (believe me, if you're determined to use something along the lines of an Earthshifter or CBasher, you'll need this) and Damage Reduction, which is very important.

Armor (2): Gladiator's Bane It's mods are very useful for a druid like you, and if you can't afford something as expensive such as an Arky, upgraded Shaft or Levi, this is a great choice nonetheless.

Armor (3): DolUmBerIst Chains of Honor is an excellent choice. In fact, this is what you should use if you can afford the runes and if you get it in an armor better than Leviathan.

*OPTIONAL* Shield: A Lidless Wall of course for the caster switch, and preferably a Stormshield or a Moser's will do.

Gloves (1): You might want to find some rare gloves with dual leech or better yet, Soul Drainers.

Gloves (2): Steelrend is a good choice for the 60% ED.

Ring #1: A BK Ring or a Stone of Jordan will do perfectly well, but preferbaly a BK Ring.

Ring #2: If you haven't retrieved Cannot Be Frozen yet then use a Ravenfrost. Don't forget that it also gives a huge AR bonus which helps a lot.

Belt: Verdungo's Hearty Cord/String of Ears for the Damage Reduction and the Life Leech/Huge vitality bonus.

Boots: Aldur's boots will do mighty fine, and just using this and the weapon will already give you 150% AR.

Skills
    There are TONS of ways you can go with a meleementalist.
    *I wont go into detail of why to use the skills, but as for the spirits it's really up to you what you want to max depending on how much life/tanking ability and damage you want*

20 Any Spirit
    20 Armageddon
    20 Fissure
    20 Any fire skill to synergize armageddon
    10 Dire Wolves
    10 Grizzly
    1 in prereqs

20 Any Spirit
    20 Hurricane
    20 Cyclone Armor
    20 Twister (not tornado as twister has stun)
    20 Grizzly
    1 in prereqs

20 Any Spirit
    10 Hurricane
    10 Cyclone Armor
    10 Armageddon
    10 Fissure
    10 in any fire skill to synergize Geddon
    10 in any wind skill to synergize Hurricane
    20 Grizzly OR divide two 10 pts into Geddon and Hurricane.

These are just ideas, though. I was just wondering if anyone could create a meleementalist guide as my favorite classes are the ones that are capable of being battle mages, so I'm very interested in this particular one.

Any thoughts?

2. Bob_TheMadCow

Bob_TheMadCow IncGamers Member

I had a very succeful 1.09 meleementalist, and I'm sure I'm not the only one here who can say that :)

Earthshaker is a BAD weapon for a meleementalist... it's just far too slow. What you want from your weapon is speed and damage, not +skills. Same theory applies to the shield, you want defense there, not +skills. I'd go for the SS over lidless on a meleementalist anyday. If I had a spare lidless it would be on switch.

As for skills, I think the better setup is the hurricane route. Max Cyclone Armour for defense and duration, and Hurricane itself will help even out the field between you and the monsters. ie: your second setup there :) You can get a Demon Limb with its charges of Enchant for those pesky FIs (not to mention a nice AR boost ;))

Apart from that, play about with it, test things out, have fun and get back to us :)

3. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

I played through 09 as a meleementalist - yes my werewolf, inkanddagger USEast was also a meleementalist. I exploited the eth bug back then - 5shael/eth phase, so I didn't worry about the ar issue - but there are ways to improve ar that will make it viable in 1.1 - demon limb, angelic stuff, etc.

In pvm I always used a lot of crushing blow, and had armageddon maxed out with hurricane at level 10. Oh hell here's my build, since I'm sure all the easters were curious:

10 werewolf
    max lycanth
    max fury
    max armageddon
    10 hurricane
    max HoW

So essentially back then I was a hybrid, and I dueled either way - but sometimes it was a bizzach swtiching all my charms out.

anyways, for the most part in PvM I DID play as a meleementalst. 10x elemental grand charms and 10 32020s, valor, phase, guillaumes, storm shield, 1 raven 1 bul kath, gores, and some gloves with cb and mana leech and res and like 9 strength. Interestingly I had enough damage to effectively leech hell cows then, and back then 900 damage armageddon owned everything(hurricane for FIs).

playing this guy in 1.1 would require you to synergize ele skills and not use any shapeshifting though. But the general idea is to have a fast weapon with crushing blow, and a high damage elemental skill going on. In PvP I would say go with shako instead and use gores for the open wounds.

In wolf form I did okay, but in human form I took down such big names as FurociousFather, SabreTooth, SlipperySack, Toriin... (had to brag, couldn't resist). I'm pretty sure all these guys quit with 1.1, which is pretty shitty as they really advanced pvp play to a new level for everyone in 09 - especially Paul aka Furocious who pretty much mopped the floor with every character class and spread the fear of druids far and wide.

4. royalesse

royalesse IncGamers Member

How bout this?:
    20 Armageddon
    20 Volcano
    20 Moulten Boulder
    20 Firestorm
    20 Cyclone Armor
    7 Fissure
    1 in Pre-reqs

You use Hurricane just to chill the monsters and Armageddon does most of the damage. Equipment wise you can tank with: Silence, Sanctuary, Enigma, and The Spirit Keeper Helm. If you'd rather go pure damage you can go Hand of Justice and Raven Lore. I always preferred Kingslayer, Guillame's Face, and Rattlecage for Crushing Blow... wouldn't have the foggiest on how to make that work with max resists... you can always tank and put the crushing blow on your merc. If you don't go HoJ or get something that's ITD then you might want to consider the enchant on Demon limb to improve your AR.

5. prion

prion IncGamers Member

interesting ideas...here are my thoughts
    I wouldn't think you'd ever need more than base with this build. You won't be casting all that often, and i assume you won't be using a combat skill that often, tho a runeword with Berserk or Vengeance would be nice.
    twister has very short stun time..
    I haven't checked on these two skills but usually you get more damage by putting points into the skill itself rather than its synergy.

I'd be interested to see how this build turns out.
    I actually did see a couple of meleementalists in 1.09

6. memememe173

memememe173 IncGamers Member

i had a pure fire elementalist in 1.09...so where does that put me (I had just hit 1k geddon when my account was delet..I mean stolen ;) ) and that has changed my ways (I still play a fire elementalist 6k geddon but I have refused both a maphack and a pindle bot.)

7. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

all of us elementalists were hybrids back in 09. my geddon did like 960 max i think. and tornado was like a laughable 600-800 or so.

8. Jak

Jak IncGamers Member

I had a successful Single Player meleementalist in 1.09 - made Patriarch with him.

I used an Earthshaker Battle Hammer and I hit about 1K damage with that. Using a Might Merc it went up to about 1.5K

I did have serious problems with AR though, and also the Earthshaker is a VERY slow weapon. It would be definately doable in 1.1 through Norm and NM, but I'm very unsure about Hell.

My current 1.1 elementalist I played meleementalist until about clvl 24, when my spells just started really outperforming my melee. It would be a very item-dependant build that could seriously solo 1.1 Hell.

If you come up with something viable, that might be my next project :thumbsup:

9. Heartless_Lich

Well, I did test it out, but not entirely (as the utilities I had to test it were either a naked lvl 99 unskilled unstatappointed druid and Aldur's set) so I went ahead with Aldur's set. It actually works a lot better than you think x.x I was surprised that with OS and the first build, it worked nicely ^^. The Gloams started aiming at the bear so I had a chance to hit them with my measly damage (remember, it's aldur's set ;) )

Twister may have a short stun time, but it gives you breathing space if you're about to be swarmed, and you can delay a pack of 20 or so just by casting it three times, which is very helpful indeed...

Well, I only suggested the Cerebus' Bite as open wounds does help too, but yeah...how could I forget CB o_O!?

Yeah that's true, but it's just that I wanted him to do more of his damage from his hand, not from earth's wrath :). If more of the damage relied on just the spells, I think it'd be more of an elementalist who melee's a bit :p .

If I could just get the right utilities to try out some of the gear on a meleementalist, that would be great...Sure, the spells damage will only be around 1k or 2k, but it's just support vs. PI's and stuff.

On second thought, you can also use DolOrtEldLemPassion! With the +1 zeal and zerk you can support your druid with a little crowd control. I was thinking maybe putting Passion in a zerker axe, or possibly a maul? (seems hard with a maul but it'd still be cool :) ).

Well, tx for the insight guys... I'm gonna go and test them out a little bit more. And by the way, does anyone have any links to utilities which can let me test out druids with items and such? I don't have the program to mule them over (as it goes to SP) and ATMA doesn't function with it.

10. inkanddagger

inkanddagger Banned

ha! passion! i almost forgot about that runeword.

now i'm thinking about trying it in 1.1 - "druid wtf are you DOINGGGGG?"

11. Beowulf

Beowulf IncGamers Member

My 1.09 melementalist did very well got him to like lvl 84 using mainly geddon and volcano. Earthshaker is was to slow I prefer lightsabre myself.

12. Heartless_Lich

Woah, now it's starting to look like Meleementalists were a common 1.09 build, lol :p...

Maybe with some IAS such as Lavagouts, IAS j00ls, and for the heck of it a Twitchthroe, Earthshaker could be quite viable. But then again, runewords are a lot better.

Take Beast for example o_o. Ok, so don't turn into a werebear, but the use of fanaticism helps immensely.