Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A few C/C WW assassin questions

Discussion in 'Assassin' started by Warmongers, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Warmongers

Warmongers IncGamers Member

A few C/C WW assassin questions

First, off, I'd like to introduce myself a little - I've never really played assasins much, usually preferring to make zealots/fury wolves for duels, but recently I've been itching to try out the WWSin build that I had in 1.10 season 1 - which proved not to be horribly effective against casters. I tried making a WWSin with ok gear/mediocre charms on open battle.net, and I was very suprised that I could beat my friends' 43K damage lightning sorceress with very little trouble, so I decided to come back to the class after I rather long hiatus from dii.

I have just a few questions - first and most importantly I think, does anyone think Mind Blast is worth using against casters? I know that it has stun and knockback, but if I can manage to get a lock on their name using my cursor, shouldn't I just try to DFlight/Whirlwind them, or are their different tactics that need to be employed against different types of casters?

Secondly, since I will be dueling equal amounts of melee characters and casters alike, should I try to hit the 48%FHR breakpoint, or stick with 86%? I've found 86% in the past to be very effective, but is there some sort of bug with assassins (like there is with druids) that makes a slower 5-frame hit recovery more effective than a 4-frame one? Also, is wake of fire generally a good idea to put 1 skill point into for casters? I tried using it against a 43K Griffon's Eye/20/20 lightning monarch/25% lightning eschuta's Lightning Sorceress and a PvP bone necro, but it didn't seem to help very much. Is there a way to properly utilize this when dueling casters so as to interrupt them and gain more chances of hitting them with dragon flight?

Last, but not least, I would appreciate it if anyone experienced with using C/C WWSins would take a look at my skill/stat point allocations and give me reasons to make changes. They are as follows:

120 strength (+100)
    100 dexterity (+80)
    330 vitality (+310)
    25 energy (+0) [/without gear on]

1 into all prerequisites, 1 point into wake of fire, mind blast, dragon flight and fists of fire (is FoF still bugged, meaning that it hits more often than a normal attack with the same AR?), max claw claw mastery/weapon block/fade/venom, shadow master at level ~17, at character level 96.

On a final note, I was using chaos/fury claws against both melee and casters, and Um'ed GA/Um'ed Kira's against casters. I also tried using bramble runeword, but it seems that a -15/+15% poison skill natalya's armor beats it in hell because the -% maximum poison resistances helps your venom do more total damage than the +10-35% from bramble, unless they happen to have 90 PR and more stacked on top of that.

Does anyone think bramble is better than nat's armor, and if so why?

2. ilkori

ilkori IncGamers Member

Mind Blast and WOF are best used together. Once the target has swirlies, any source of damage (including the fast hitting WOF) will trigger a hit recovery animation.

It seems the typical dueler these days is sporting Enigma for the transport speed. Tele-whilrl is much faster than dragonflight-whirl. (Dragon Flight is fixed at 23 frames, and cannot be sped up or slowed down.)

Yeah, that's all I have.

3. Warmongers

Warmongers IncGamers Member

Ok, thanks for the tips. Do you think it would still be a good idea to get 120 base strength in order to equip non-enigma armor for dueling melee characters or casters who happen to have stacked poison resistance (the armor in question is a -15/+15 nat's armor)?

4. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli IncGamers Member

Whoops... real post below.

5. Von Lazuli

Von Lazuli IncGamers Member

No... not really a good idea at all...
    A lot of duelers will have a little stacked poison, and hitting with a Bramble does do more damage in all cases compared to hitting with a 15/15 nats due to the double application bug. See the following (Assuming 1k Venom with the Bramble and 1.04k Venom including the +2 from Nat's).

Bramble (50% psn dmg):
    Cast: 1.5k Psn
    Hit (wearing bramble): 2.25k Venom
    Against:
    75 Resist:562 psn
    50 Resist: 1.125k psn
    25 Resist: 1.688k psn
    0 Resist: 2.25k psn

15/15 Nat's (Including the +2 Venom)
    Cast: 1.196k psn
    Hit: 1.375k psn
    Against:
    75 Resist:550 psn
    50 Resist: 894 psn
    25 Resist: 1.237k psn
    0 Resist: 1.581k psn

This lower damage, combined with the fact that you can make Bramble in a low str req armour means that Bramble is vastly superior to Nat's. That is without the Thorns, huge FHR etc....

Thus, you should probably only build around 70ish Base Str (my sin uses exactly 70 strength so I reach 106 with my Anni and Torch (for Giant Skull))

However, you could probably get away with less, if you choose a lighter armour and never give up your circlet (or whatever light helm you use)and use low str req claws (Like Suwayyhas or Greater Talons).

The rest looks ok... bar a few things:
    1. Fists Of Fire is no longer bugged (and even if it was, when do you ever use normal attack on a WWsin?)
    2. Your skill layout should need no-where near level 96 to complete...
    20 Claw Mastery
    20 Fade
    20 Venom
    Approx 5-6 in Weapon Block (enough for level 26 with gear)
    1 Shadow Master (Why level 17? I mean, you get to that with skills, but it is only a portable MB machine anyway...)
    1 Wake of Fire
    1 Dragon Flight
    Rest in Mindblast

That is only 78 skill points... So done at level 67, with Mind Blast maxed at level 86.
    3. You should be able to get away with base dex...
    4. Gear:
    Take the Enigma, you need it to be effective in a high speed tele environment. Fury and Chaos is good. But a Fool's modded claw is infinitly useful...

The rest you can figure out from guides... (Try Speeder's)

Laz