Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A few barbarian questions

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by Jaimes, Mar 21, 2005.

1. Jaimes

Jaimes IncGamers Member

A few barbarian questions

I'm getting pretty excited about the WW Barb I'm going to make soon, so here are a few normal and abnormal questions..

1) Where are places for general Barbarian and Act 5 lore? I'm talking about history, religion, culture etc. What gods do the Barbarians pray to, what kind of structure do their tribes have, etc.

2) What are all the sources of ED%? Strength gives 1% per point, right? And then there are items like Duress, Steelrends, and weapons of course. Are +strength charms and efficient way of increasing damage? (probably not due to the low bonus)

3.5) ED% only applies to base damage, right? Might aura mercs too, only modify the base weapon damage?

3) How does ED% interact with +min and +max damage? I heard something about a bug on this, curious what it means.

2. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

1. Check the arreat summit. Similarly, the instruction manual that came with the game and blizzard's site arn't too bad either for backstory.

2. ED% comes on items and from str. Str gives 1% per point for all weapons besides 2h maces, where it gives 1.1% per point. It's generally better to get +max damage charms than +str charms, because they usally add more damage, all and all.

3. Yes, base damage being your weapon's displayed damage when you hover over it and any +damage gear you have (such as charms).

4. If you have an ed/max jewel and place it in ARMOR or a SHIELD, it bugs up such that the ed% applies to the min damage only and the +max applies to the max. Same goes for ed/min - ed applies to the max, +min applies to the min.

-Hal

3. Jaimes

Jaimes IncGamers Member

I looked through the manual and official sites.. and there isn't exactly much. I'm thinking that the only other way is to learn in-game, in Act 5. Which means paying attention to the dialogue, something I never did for Act 5 :p

But lemme make sure I have the fundamentals down right...

Barbarians are descendants of the legendary king Bul-Kathos who charged them with protecting the Worldstone. So they ultimately dedicate their lives to this goal, living a life of trials and challenges so that they will be able to protect the Worldstone....

The barbarian helm Arreat's Face, exactly what/who is Arreat? Or is it symbolic for Mt. Arreat?

4. Throttle

Throttle IncGamers Member

Mount Arreat is the mountain where the three guardians rest, and uh... prevent Baal from coming through or something like that.

Well, it might be inspired from Mount Ararat. From christian religion, located in Turkey and supposedly is the place where Noah landed his ark after the great big flood.

5. rikstaker

rikstaker IncGamers Member

Ahem,the second one in the week. :p

I'll clean up.

What he actually said was:

4. If you have an ed/max jewel and place it in ARMOR or a SHIELD, it bugs up such that the ed% applies to the min damage only and the +max applies to the max.

Ed str jewels are fine & arguable the ideal socket for most barbs.

Rik

6. Emerald Dragon

Emerald Dragon IncGamers Member

This may not seem important, but in the book, there were certin tribes that only used certin weapon types, hence the weapon masteries.

Swords - Uh....I geuss the Tribe that Bul Kathos belonged too.
    Axes - Shadow Wolf Tribe.
    Mace - Bear Tribe.
    Polearm - Crane Tribe.
    Spear - Snake Tribe.
    Throwing - Wimp Tribe, heh just kidding. Doesnt say anything about any tribes for that one.

If you know where to look, you can see a little info on Talic, Korlic and Madawc at arreat summit. I'f you haven't found it, I'll copy paste their stories.

Talic (The most badass ancient IMO)

Talic is from the Western Shores of the Barbarian Kingdom. At a young age, Talic had already mastered several of the barbarian skills. He was only 19 when he was called to serve the Ancients. Before his calling, he had only heard legends of Mt. Arreat. The Kae Huron mountain range, where lies Arreat, isn't even visible from warm waters he grew up around.

One morning there was a knock at his door. It was the town elder and an old woman. They entered as his wife and young child sat at the table. The woman was introduced as Kala the Seer for Sescheron the capital city of the Barbarian Tribes. She came to bestow upon Talic the ultimate task of protecting the sacred gates to Mt. Arreat. His reward for accepting such service would be eternity atop the mountain. While it was an honor beyond comprehension to be chosen for such a role, he would never be able to return home, nor see any of his family again.

Talic rose from his chair, standing a head taller than the Seer, and told her fiercely "I won't go." He had refused. He told the Seer to choose another. Kala looked at him and said the choice was not hers to make. The Ancients had spoken to her of a young warrior in the West named Talic. That was who they wanted, that was who they chose. Talic stared long at the Seer. Then finally, he nodded slowly in agreement, turned to his wife and child, kissed them goodbye, and journeyed to Mt. Arreat.

Korlic

Korlic was raised in the Henknoc jungles on the southern end of the barbarian kingdom. While the land that these barbarians lived in was lush and full of life, it was also full of danger beyond belief. Korlic was the leader of the Henknoc, protecting his people from the beasts they lived among. As a child he had managed to tame one of the more vicious animals called a Stalker. It was said that there must have been druid in his blood in order to perform such a task at such a young age. In his teens Korlic rescued a small child from a horde of giant spiders. The child turned out to be the son of a chieftain of an enemy tribe. Without thought or worry Korlic returned the boy home. While some say it was an act of stupidity, others say it was an act of courage. Which ever, it brought about an end to the conflicts between the two tribes.

When the Ancients summoned Korlic it was through the tribes Seer, his wife. She told him the Ancients had called upon him to protect that which must not fall, to protect Mt. Arreat. The honor was such that Korlic could not speak. Seeing this, his wife turned to the people of Henknoc and shouted, "My husband, your chief, has been chosen by the Ancients to guard sacred Mt. Arreat. In honor of this joyous occasion we shall celebrate until his departure." And they celebrated, for three days until Korlic left. On the final day, Korlic named his successor. He was the young boy, now a man, who Korlic had saved from the giant spiders so long ago. Korlic knew he would rule fairly and justly over both tribes. Finally, with all his worldly deeds complete, he ventured to the top of Arreat to begin his otherworldly quest of protecting the Worldstone for all eternity.

Madawc

No one is quite sure where Madawc is from, only that one day he walked out of the hills of Val Narian in the North, an axe in both hands, ready to battle. Those who were crazy enough to battle beside Madawc referred to him as the warrior prophet. He claimed he was cursed with visions from both past and present. He would often begin fights without provocation, claiming he sought justice for crimes not yet committed. Before every battle he would sit, trance like, staring up to the skies. Sometimes, when he would fall out of these trances, he would rise from wherever he was, and leave, not taking part in the waiting battle. Those that knew of Madawc’s trances began to believe he could tell the outcome of a battle even before it was fought. How else could the crazy old codger have survived for as long as he had? He became well known among the warriors of the Northern Lands because of his supposed gift. Men began to follow Madawc wherever he went, staying if he stayed, leaving when he left. He became something of a legend, a warrior prophet. However, one night as Madawc sat around the fire with some of his men, he stood up, dropped his pipe (because he was stoned), and left (To find some munchies). When one of the men stopped him and asked where he was going he said, "The Ancients have called me to guard Mt. Arreat. So, I must go." Pushing past the man, Madawc began his long trek south to the summit of Mt. Arreat.

Apparently Madawc is a pot smoking old man. No wonder he dies so easy compared to the other 2. :D

7. Jaimes

Jaimes IncGamers Member

Thanks. I was beginning to wonder what that typo was supposed to be ;)

I still don't quite understand; this bugging up thing, is it a good thing? Or something to be avoided?

And thanks Emerald, I didn't even know that stuff existed. I'm going to go scour AS and see if there's anything else like that.

8. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

It is bad. Originally, a 40/15 ed/max jewel would add 15 damage to your maximum, and then multiply the new max AND the minimum by 40% as well. Now it just adds the 15 to the max, and multiplies the min by 40%, so in essence you're losing out on a ton of your damage.

-hal

9. Jaimes

Jaimes IncGamers Member

Ahh, that makes sense now.

So it doesn't work this way if you use an ED/max jewel in a weapon?

Also, how much would a 30-39%ED/15% IAS jewel go for, ESCL? I ask this here because the Trade Values forum rarely gets any attention on anything I post there.

10. Halciet

Halciet IncGamers Member

Right, the bug is only in armor/shields.

I can't say about the jewel, though technically I'm not supposed to allow anyone to post non-throwing related trades/price-checks in the barb forum :/

-Hal

11. Jaimes

Jaimes IncGamers Member

Heh :p

I'll try the trade values forum then.