Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A few avenger build questions (untwinked)

Discussion in 'Paladin' started by L_Clan_Dalamar, Oct 8, 2006.

1. L_Clan_Dalamar

L_Clan_Dalamar IncGamers Member

A few avenger build questions (untwinked)

Hey guys,

I have returned to diablo after a very long break and gonna play an avenger in hc ladder now with a few old friends. I dont mind the fact that it will suck at the start, i actually enjoy improving the gear of my character by itself and see its power go up exponantially. Not to mention that i like to be a little unique with my character builds and avengers dont seem to be that common with all the hammerdins running around. But before i begin my avenger, i have a few questions:

1) Will the avenger be able to actually solo stuff in hell once i get him some decent gear (please dont say it will be good with the high-end runewords :p im looking at stuff like herald of zakarum / guardian's etc...)

2) Should i max vengeance or the synergies for it for an untwinked avenger. Mana leech will not be too abundant at the start i fear and maxed vengeance might drain my mana big time....

3) I know that 25 conviction is max, but about what would you leave it at as base?

4) How would you handle life leech? It is always so important for a melee hc character but vengeance has a low physical dmg...

5) I read the guide on the strategy compendium with maxed fanatism and conviction... does that still work?

6) Should i just scrap the idea and go for a zealot? :)

Thanks for the answers, enjoy.

2. levitikus

levitikus IncGamers Member

Zealots are better in terms of survival especially with LL and a fast attacking speed.. But if your going for an avenger
    1. He will have lots of trouble regardless form that build avengers are hard.. but weapon wise.. if possible get a ethereal gimmershred.. uped dmg and crazy amounts of elemental dmg (dont throw it though).. most total ele dmg in non RW wep if im not mistaken and a pretty fast attack speed. Maybe even a dragonscale. Duress for armor..ads CB and OW and some ele dmg.. hehe
    2. It will drain it no matter what and heavily at that by level. Again zealer for that reason.
    3. depending on your gear and + skillz may have to max
    4. For life leech try some rare gloves with ais maybe some rings
    5. switching auras alot is a pain .. im too lazy .. but if you can do it..
    6. yes. unless you like a challenge

3. bobofuzzlymunky

bobofuzzlymunky IncGamers Member

my friend made one, semi hi-end, doomz, coh, cant remember rest, easily solo'd hell, his only problem was speed of attack, since its not consecutive hits like zeal, its much harder to stay alive. but afaik, the only thing u really need to worry about is staying away from crowds. since most avengers dmg doesnt come from the weapon, more the skill, guardian angel/ hoz would do fine.

4. wgemini

wgemini IncGamers Member

I am building an avenger myself, with fairly mediocre gears (e.g. I don't have a HOZ yet). For raw damages, he is probably not as good as a zealer. However, IMO, it's a very good all around character for both solo and party plays. Whereas other characters might have trouble with a particular monster, nothing can stop an avenger. He can also laugh at the faces of those deadly gloams. With max conviction, an avenger can deal a lot of damages per attack, which more or less balances out his slower attacking speed. For bosses, you can use smite and crushing blow to bring down their lives. The biggest problem IMO is the lack of leeching. Zealers leech much much faster and thus can stay alive much easier. He is also not good at crowd control, so you might need to retreat a little from time to time.

1) Yes. It's hell, so it's not going to be easy, but definitely doable.
    2) The synergies also increase maximum resistance. I would put at least 10 points to each + 10 points to Holy shield for blocking and defense. Since you will have problem with leeching, I wouldn't max vengeance too early, if at all.
    3) Depending on your gears. I'd max it just to be versatile.
    4) Not sure about this. Avengers really are not good at leech. 95% resistance + max blocking, however, means you should do fine.
    5) Yeah, I think it worked much better in 1.09. I wouldn't trouble with it myself, but you can still do it.
    6) I think you should give it a try. It's a really underrated build. Also, an avenger really shines in party play. Conviction helps both melee and magic characters a lot.

5. Talga Vasternich

Talga Vasternich IncGamers Member

I played an Avenger in an untwinked group, but it was softcore. They definitely aren't common.

You will be able to solo in hell, but don't expect to kill quickly... even with decent gear. This is more of a "party" character build.

Max the synergies (as high as you're going to take them) and leave vengeance at 1 point until you've taken everything else as high as you're going to.

17-18 (max isn't a bad thing either)

Get a high damage weapon and use potions very frequently.
    'Oath' and 'Crescent Moon' are runeword weapons that have ed and aren't all that diffucult to make
    A Shael'd Barnar's Star is also a good choice.

I didn't try it

If you'll be playing in a party most of the time, stick with the Avenger. If you'll be playing solo most of the time, I'd say go with a zealot.

6. Bladewind

Bladewind IncGamers Member

Not true.

Vengence = X% elemental damage added base off Physical damage of weapon.

So the bigger the weapon damage, the harder Vengence will hit. That is why an Ebotdz is the holy grail for an Avenger, its extremely fast plus it boasts big physical damage which will greatly amplify Vengence X% bonus elemental damage boost.

So again +skills don't matter too much, in fact too many plus skills is detrimental for an Avenger since that will make the mana cost per attack go higher !

As for a merc, Might Merc with Insight will help you leech more and dish out more punishment due to the added Might damage. Insight will make mana leech a minor thought and a high damage Insight can let you merc put down some nasties too.

For the life leech challenged, a prayer merc with Insight can actually work for an Avenger since the prayer bonus is applied to the Meditation aura AND the merc's prayer aura is still active together at the same time. This can work for those with low life leech, although its probably better to spend a point into redemption and clean up corpses at the same time.

Holy freeze merc with Insight. Good crowd control (which Vengence severely lacks) but Freeze makes using Redemption hard for an Avenger with low life leech.

Defiance Merc with Insight. Avengers are impressive tanks against elemental damage, extend it to Physical as well. Higher defense makes life alot easier when mobbed.