A fendazon question

Greebo

Diabloii.Net Member
A fendazon question

Addressed to all amazon lovers (for only those are crazy enough to make one of these, probably)

I'm wondering about my skill distribution. 20 Fend, 20 Penetrate, sure.

But then what? My moron is going to carry eth Reaper's, so that's gonna take care of most PI's, probably. So I think I might be fine without a Lightning backup skill.

I was thinking: instead of that, I could max Jab, to take care of single targets.

Fend is really slow when attacking single targets. Anyone care to explain to me how exactly is that working? I'm going to reach the 6/5/8 breakpoint. Does that mean that when I'm attacking a single target it'll be a 14 frame attack?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

--Greebo

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member
Re: A fendazon question

If I remember right, I was very happy with my fendzon. She kicked major *** and looked good doing it. You might want to read that thread if you can find it. I probably did have a lightning backup, simply to deal with IM in HC (no longer relevant, I know), and because some things can't be broken with the Reaper.

Oh yea, and, for me, jab pretty much sucks. It's "okay" if you need to use crushing blow on bosses, but for regular stuff... Fech... Actually on bosses charged strike probably wins by a landslide, too. I haven't looked up my guardian, but if I were to rebuild a fendzon, I'd prolly go with 20 Fend, Penetrate, LF and CS. A couple odd points in Critical Strike and that'd be good.

I don't quite get why you want to avoid lightning. I'm guessing it's an arbitrary reason, because by sheer effectiveness, lightning will make a great asset and can fit in the build quite comfortably.

Greebo

Diabloii.Net Member

I did read your guardian thread some time ago. It kinda convinced me to try this.

Yeah, not getting the lightning backup is somewhat of an arbitrary decision. I just fear it might be too powerful, and then I won't play her as a true fendazon. I know that'd be definitely true if I got LF. Plus, CtA on a switch, so only 'Spear' skills are an option.

I guess you have a point about CB and bosses and Jab. Then again I only need one point in Jab for that one...

--Greebo

Paradigmshift

Diabloii.Net Member

Greebo - I mat'd my fendazon a few months ago. Makala was built using an integer pdr approach. I also chose not to use lightning based skills and with this in mind, there was a lot of points left after maxing fend, decoy, inner sight, and critical strike to begin pumping jab last. The problem I always saw with fend is that you lack a shield and so no shield to block. Not sure the weapon you intend on using, but it's hard to go wrong with an eth upp'd Hone Sundan. The big chunk of crushing blow allows for a little more flexibility in boots and headgear selection instead of the usual goreriders and guillame's. Besides that.. they are cheap to obtain/trade for.

Anyway, hopefully there is something that you can learn from my mat thread on either what to do... or what not to do!! Good luck with your toon.

Stony

Diabloii.Net Member

With my fendazon, I was perfectly happy using Fend on single targets, but I seem more tolerant of slow attacks than some people are. Unless you really want to avoid the lightning skills, I recommend them for several reasons. A fendazon's biggest problem is Dodge/Avoid/Evade lock while using Fend, so having Lightning Strike as a worthwhile way to deal with crowds. For bosses and other large targets, Charged Strike is your best friend in the whole world. And finally, there are those pesky PI's that Decripify just won't break. If you don't want to go with lightning, then Jab will be a decent (if slow) way to attack single targets, but lightning will make life a lot easier.

Stony

jiansonz

Diabloii.Net Member

A fendazon's biggest problem is Dodge/Avoid/Evade lock while using Fend
I can understand this, but can´t you solve it by not putting any points in them at all? Sure, it means you can´t have a Valkyrie, but you can still have a strong Decoy.

Greebo

Diabloii.Net Member

He probably only meant that as a synergy for CS.
Thanks for clarifying, I didn't get that.

I can understand this, but can´t you solve it by not putting any points in them at all? Sure, it means you can´t have a Valkyrie, but you can still have a strong Decoy.
Sure, that's what I did.

---------

Now it seems the original question got lost somewhere, so let me make it clear what it was:

Fend is really slow when attacking single targets. Could anyone explain to me how does that work?

If I'm going to reach the 6/5/8 breakpoint, does it mean that when I'm attacking a single target it'll be a 14 frame attack?
--Greebo

Nightfish

Diabloii.Net Member

Yes, easily. You don't even need the decoy if you twink a little. Especially with a kelpie snare, which I think greebo was going to use. That makes you nigh invulnerable in melee.

He probably only meant that as a synergy for CS.
No, not really. There are situations, especially in HC when I want to have LF. Double so since I play with Iron Maiden. Of course LF synergises my CS, but I am using it when appropriate.

Doesn't even have to be iron maiden. Tripple boss pack of ghosts, for example. Give them some neat auras and curse, and you're in trouble. Of course that's my hardcore mentality. Both literally and figuratively. I don't believe in builds that have to retreat or reroll under certain conditions. If it can't take on everything, it's not a good build in my book.

And finally, if you ever intend to use her for running bosses, which she can do quite well, actually, LF is definetly the better synergy to have.

In the end, it sorta boils down to self discipline. If you're disciplined enough not to skill LF at all, aren't you disciplined enough to only use the skill when you really need it? Maybe that's just me, but I like to have the option available.

Greebo

Diabloii.Net Member

I was thinking of Kelpie, but since NM Baal dropped an 195 eth Hone Sundan for the very character in question... I mean... A sign, anyone? ;)

So I decided to make 2 of them. One holding eth Hone Sundan, and one holding a Kelpie.

-------

In general I feel like your HC state of mind is a bit different than my SC approach, NF. For me, in the worst case, I die, go rescue the body, rinse and repeat. Enough said. I guess playing HC makes you think much more of a worst case scenario.

For me, when the worst case scenario occurs, I just make a surprised face and 'reboot'. Makes for a different kind of thinking sometimes, obviously. HC is harder, sure. Then again it's a game and it's supposed to be fun so I think I'll stick to my way, for now.

I ended up going with LS and CS as backups. It worked OK for ghosts in the tower, plus I decided that dumping more than 11 points in Critical Strike is a bit of an overkill.

--Greebo

Doctor Clock

Diabloii.Net Member

I don't know anything about Fend, but I've made a Lightning Strike Zon and it is a very fun skill. However, it suffers from the next-delay bug so that if you have several enemies bunched up, it will not be able deal the full 20+ hits it is supposed to dish out. If you have enemies spaced out, though, it will be able to complete all of its "charges", letting you toggle between LS and another attack which is a lot of fun and looks pretty cool.

Stony

Diabloii.Net Member

Not putting points in D/A/E will work too. The real value of a Valkyrie is not to kill things (though she is capable of that) but as a distraction, taking heat off of you. Having a Valk and a decoy to hide behind meant I could take advantage of the spear's reach and use Fend against all kinds of crowds. Having lots of leech also made Fend easy to use, but that's true of any melee skill.

Stony