Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A Disappointing Realization

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by tarnok, Apr 6, 2004.

1. tarnok

tarnok IncGamers Member

A Disappointing Realization

It's been staring me in the face all these years, but this weekend I finally had to admit that my younger brothers _aren't_ that much smarter than your average yahoo.

I have two younger brothers. The older one and I don't like sports at all. The younger one wanted to watch the final four games. I didn't like it much but I was willing to let it go since it was a special game and not really worth arguing over anyway. The older of my younger brothers was not.

The two of them scuffled over the remote for moment, then abandoned all pretense and started shoving each other around. I yelled suggestions that they stop acting like idiots as I attempted to save my Chinese food. They exchanged a round of punches and my father emerged from his room asking why the house was shaking. It was at this point that I observed the youngest picking up his tooth.

I spent the night in the emergency room and then with an oral surgeon, his assistant and her husband who were all apparently roused from their sleep to put my little brother's tooth back in and straighten the ones that were bent out of place. He'll need at least one root canal for the one that was knocked out and probably two more for the ones that were pushed out of place. A bit of wire glued to his teeth keeps them in place while he hopefully heals and, naturally, he is forbidden from actually using the teeth in question for an unspecified length of time.

Throughout my life my family's claim to fame was having some of the smartest children in the neighborhood. How did we deceive so many people for so long?

2. Freet

Freet IncGamers Member

Kids will be kids. There is little or no corrolation between intelligence and childish behaviour.

I have 2 daughters that have proven themselves to be incredibly intelligent but both have found countless ways to bring said intelligence into question.

3. th5418

th5418 Banned

You should put up some cameras around the house and sell them for millions. MY FAMILY EXPOSED. Call it that. Excellent.....

4. MixedVariety

MixedVariety Banned

Like Freet said, there really is no connection. My brothers and I consistently got honors in school (with a few drug/booze influenced exceptions) and I shudder to think of how we all made it to adulthood with the shenanigans we pulled all the time, on each other as well as non-related victims.

5. tarnok

tarnok IncGamers Member

But they aren't kids. One is graduating from highschool in June and the other is in his second year of college.

6. eddy

eddy Banned

Well it could have been worse if one of them started to cry, then the other felt bad, so then they held each other in the corner for awhile. After this they decided to force you and the rest of your family into participating in a group therapy session where you all cry, talk about your problems and watch John Edwards.

Point made?

7. LunarSolaris

LunarSolaris IncGamers Member

Well Tarnok, believe it or not... even HS kids are still.... kids. Most people don't truly mature until they are in their mid to late 20's, and some people mature a little later than that. While some people fully mature at a younger age, it is definitely the exception than it is the rule.

Don't lose heart. Your brothers aren't any more dumb than a teenager wrought with hormones waiting to explode at every turn. It sounds as if they both got caught up in that this weekend.

As Freet said so simply... and is very true - kids will be kids.

8. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Hahahaha this is too funny...

9. tarnok

tarnok IncGamers Member

Yes, but those people are very stupid. Really. I see them every day and they are quite phenomenally not smart in almost every way in which the word can be applied. It is, in my estimation, not the result of an actual mental deficiency, but a determination to be stupid.

Besides, "kids will be kids" is a cop-out. I was able to control my temper all through my teenage years and then some. There's nothing that makes me any more special than anyone else in that respect. If one is smart enough to realize that it has to be done and has a will to do it, then anyone can.

I am still disappointed that my brothers weren't smart enough to realize that their emotions need to be controlled, particularly when they may result in violence. Not only disappointed in them, but concerned that I didn't realize sooner that they might hurt each other.

Fortunately I think the one that effected the tooth extraction is smart enough to realize it now. I think he feels really bad about it and I hope that the experience will help him change. I'm less sure about what lesson the other may have learned.

10. maccool

maccool IncGamers Member

<insert joke about Tennessee here.>

I lived in Georgia for 6 years, Tarnok; I done seen worse (to use the vernacular). Like Freeto and Lunar said, it was a mindless and stupid thing, but it happens.

The best part is, you get to make fun of them for the rest of your life. Think of it, 60+ years of heckling. Man, that's a rad deal.

11. Canadia142

Canadia142 Banned

We should do that to your house. Your parents are pretty wild :teeth:

One time me and my brother got in a vicious vicious fight and we started beating the holy **** out of each other and the house with hockey sticks

12. Starfishied

Starfishied IncGamers Member

Geez! Are boys always this violent? No matter what the ages are, I've seen brothers fight all the time. Weren't you suppose to stop them anyway?

13. Corneo

Corneo IncGamers Member

Your suppose to get out of the way and have a 6 pack of beer near by so they can make up afterwards.