Latest Diablo 3 News
DiabloWiki Updates
Support the site! Become a Diablo: IncGamers PAL - Remove ads and more!

A different way to make WW PVM. I need some tips.

Discussion in 'Barbarian' started by BierWiser, May 15, 2008.

1. BierWiser

BierWiser IncGamers Member

A different way to make WW PVM. I need some tips.

Player vs. Monster... and some magic find.

BUILD 1

Helmet: Arreat's Face
    Body Armor: Enigma Archon Plate
    Gloves: Dracul's Grasp
    Boots: Gore Riders
    Belt: Verdungos
    Amulet: Highlord's Wrath
    Ring 1: Ravenfrost
    Ring 2: Bul-Kathos
    Weapon 1: Ethereal Breath of the Dying Berserker Axe
    Weapon 2: Grief Berserker Axe
    Switch 1: Heart of the Oak
    Switch 2: Heart of the Oak

Mercenary: Rogue
    Helmet: Andarial's Visage
    Body Armor: Fortitude Archon Plate
    Weapon: Faith Runeword

BUILD 2 (changes only)

Weapon 1: Ethereal Breath of the Dying Berserker Axe
    Weapon 2: Beast Berserker Axe

Mercenary: Barbarian
    Weapon: Last Wish Ethereal Colossus Blade

Questions List:
    1. Should I switch the Bul-Kathos ring for another Ravenfrost?
    2. What items could be better for the Rogue mercenary besides the Faith Runeword?
    3. What's the best bow that is not Amazon only for a Faith?
    4. Is Laying of Hands better than Dracul's Grasp for PVM?
    5. Since I want to be able to teleport, what about switching out for Fortitude and using Naj's Puzzler (66 charges level 11 Teleport/1 to all skills/30% FCR) on switch?
    6. For bosses, what do you think of keeping Dexterity and Vitality equal as I level up for higher attack rating? I will not be using attack rating charms, I will be using magic find charms.
    7. Can bow attacks achieve crushing blow? In this way my mercenary can help against bosses.
    8. Does whirlwind achieve crushing blow?
    9. Are there any tips on what items should be changed on the mercenaries? Besides weapons.
    10. Which build is preferred?

2. Arkardo

Arkardo IncGamers Member

Re: A different way to make WW PVM. I need some tips.

1. If you find you don't need the attack rating, I'd go for Bul-Kathos.
    2. I'd keep it this way... you may want to look for some item with increased run/walk speed, but I wouldn't know a good item for that on top of my mind.
    3. I think a Hydra Bow, but I'm not sure.
    4. I'd say yes; 350% ED versus demons and 20% IAS are hard to beat and you can get life leech elsewhere.
    5. Perfectly OK, just beware of high repair costs. You may also want to consider a magical/rare amulet with Teleport charges.
    6. It's not worth increasing dexterity for attack rating. In that case, just stick to a second Ravenfrost.
    7. Yes, but the damage is halved. It's still useful, though.
    8. Yes.
    9. I'd say it's good, but you may want to consider an Act 2 mercenary. Not original, but still hard to beat.
    10. Sorry, dunno about that.

PS. You may want to consider switching your Arreat's to a Guillame's. Yes, you'd miss a ton of bonusses, but the Crushing Blow is invaluable.

3. BierWiser

This question needs to be rephrased.

2. What items could be better for the Rogue mercenary besides the helmet and armor I have chosen?

Thanks for the answers. Does anyone else have any input on using Guillaume's Face over Arreat's Face?

4. churinga

churinga IncGamers Member

you can consider Treachery for the insane IAS and Fade (Fading Rogue looks super cool :p), or a Trang armor for FRW, since you will easily run out of range of your merc's Fanat aura with her running much slower than you.

5. BierWiser

I looked up Treachery and that looks pretty nice. I'd never heard of it before. Will that still be beneficial while it replaces all of the bonuses from Fortitude? I like the fade as well. Also, my mercenary can keep up because I'll be teleporting to travel.

6. churinga

Actually, I think Fort is the best choice, but Treachery also rocks. It is just a matter of personal preference. As a matter of fact, Rogue merc RARELY dies. So, defensive mods on her is a little bit of a waste, and you will do most of the killings anyways. The SOLE purpose of her is to provide you with the Fanat aura. You can count on her to kill some foes while in IM areas, but that'd be rather slow.

However, the Fanat aura does not benefit much for WW, since you already reach the last BP. If you don't plan to MF in Chaos Sanctuary or WSK3 (you can tele to Throne instead, of course, where there is a good chance that no OK exists), then you can choose a Might Act2 Merc with Pride Polearm, which gives you MUCH more dmg. But of course, for some occasions that OKs are spawned in Throne, you can use your Rogue merc to slain them. But remember, Act2 merc can also do the job, and much faster. It is just that you may need to revive them once in a while. Again, personal preference :)

7. accipite

accipite IncGamers Member

iirc, ww speed depends on your weapon speed only and doesnt affect by anything else.

8. accipite

accipite IncGamers Member

oops.
    delete

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  9. BierWiser

How does EBOTDZ and Grief reach the last breakpoint when you need Fanatacism on Beast and EBOTDZ to reach the last BP?

10. churinga

You reach WW last breakpoint if and only if your weapon base speed minus weapon IAS is less than or equal to -34. If you are using Berserker Axe (base speed is 0), then Grief with WIAS greater than or equal to 34 will give you the last BP, and EBOTD since WIAS is already 60, you always reach last BP. It is regardless of any non-weapon IAS or any skill IAS, such as Fanat Aura or Frenzy.

Therefore, Faith merc does not increase your WW speed if you already reach the last WW BP.

11. Stevomoo

Stevomoo IncGamers Member

i have act1 cold merc with great bow faith, fort and andys face with 15ias jool,
    that isnt the highest damage bow but with that set up she reaches the fastest attack speed, and so chills more people and almost never dies

12. BierWiser

I see now. So I guess people use Beast on WW Barbarians just to get more accuracy and damage?
    I like your idea. I know it's kinda a new armor, but what do you think of Treachery and its 45% increased attack speed for a bow mercenary?

13. churinga

My points is that Rogue merc may not be the ideal choice, if you are not afraid of merc dying from Iron Maiden. If not, Act2 merc is the best choice IMO. :cool:

14. BierWiser

These mercenaries are based on being able to help on Baal runs. Baal has a lot of health and makes killing him a time waste. What would be best? I like accuracy, especially against bosses, so I am thinking that there is something that needs to be something to help with the accuracy lost without the Beast's Fanaticism.

Helps by giving me Fanaticism that makes up for the lost accuracy and damage given by Beast. Also freezes targets and shoots fast. Hopefully it does enough damage to help.

Mercenary: Rogue using Ice Arrow
    Helmet: Vampire Gaze
    Body Armor: Treachery Archon Plate
    Weapon: Faith Great Bow

This mercenary is just for a lot of damage and the crushing blow on the Last Wish will help on killing Baal. The might will also give me some extra damage.

Mercenary: Barbarian
    Weapon: Last Wish Colossus Blade

Might will help my enhanced damage.

Mercenary: Act II Might
    Weapon: List below

The Blessed Aim will make up for accuracy lost without Beast.

Mercenary: Act II Blessed Aim
    Weapon: List below

Pride Cryptic Axe: With Might the enhanced damage will stack and give me a lot of damage. If I used the Blessed Aim mercenary it will still give me a bit of enhanced damage.

Obedience Cryptic Axe: I don't hear much about this runeword but it has crushing blow that would help against killing Baal.

15. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Might will probably add more damage/second than blessed aim although it does depend on your current AR, +% AR and +% damage. Generally the more AR and +% AR you have, the less useful blessed aim is, and the more +% damage you have (from skills+non-weaponED+strength) the less useful might is. It's generally easier to increase AR from gear rather than ED% though at all gear levels.

For weapon my ctc enchant seemed to be casting on my merc and party as well although maybe I was just imagining things ;) if it works like that, it'll help immensly with attack rating. Again though adding concentration aura with pride will probably increase your damage more, then again the mercenary's personal damage (as well as leech as a result) will drop bigtime, which would be an issue if he needs the leech and/or if his damge isn't << your damage.

16. Barloc

Barloc IncGamers Member

Best Baal Killing merc for my Barb ever - Might Merc w/ Reaper's Toll.

Toll casts Decrepify 33%, which not only slows baal, but also lowers physical damage reduction-awesome!

This also negates any monsters with PI.

17. BierWiser

I do like Decrepify, but I don't really need it unless I am insanely overrun by monsters that have good accuracy (such as a large group of Oblivion and Doom Knights). WW Barbarians are very strong and survive easily, especially against single targets such as bosses.

I'm still wondering what mercenary would be best. I forgot to mention that having my mercenary kill Oblivion Knights would have to be a need as well. To mention, I just found a 4 open socket Great Bow last night (Faith).

18. churinga

Tell you what, I recommend a Berserker Barb! With a Faith merc, a berserker can reach last attack speed BP, and the damage is insane, without worrying about Iron Maiden. You can refer to the Berserker Barb guides in the sticky, very helpful. My Berserker Barb himself can clear chaos easily in multiplayer games.

19. lukefojut

lukefojut IncGamers Member

Crusader bow can be used far sooner than Hydra and is a better bet in my opinion...

20. galzohar

galzohar IncGamers Member

Even a max speed berserk (or frenzy) will not out-damage/second whirlwind with any weapon that has enough IAS on it to reach the last WW breakpoint. And that's far from the only advantage WW has over berserk...